Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 19 - Endurance of the Orbs

After the Battle of Long Valley, the KH team reached the waning stage of their adventure.

Chapter 19 - Endurance of the Orbs

Chapter 19 - Endurance of the Orbs
Endurance of the Orbs



As the rest of the KH team underwent an extensive period of rest and relaxation, the same could not be said for the key bearers, who now underwent the most heinous stages of their regimen. Thundros training had excelled ten fold. Suddenly, in the second week, Riku and Sora found themselves not withdrawing to their room at all because Thundro would not allow it. They had undergone such severe training, staying out until the wee hours of the morning, taking one hour naps every so often. Thundros attitude had changed drastically from the first week. In the Scenario Chamber he forced Riku and Sora into extreme battles, from fighting shinobis, to engaging against old opponents of the Z team, and going so far as to be involved into epic confrontations at such famous Three Kingdoms battles such as Chi Bi, He Fei, and Yi Ling. Imperial battles were not excluded as Riku and Sora experienced the horror of the Siege of Gombria and the Battle of Vandor.
In the Gravity Chamber, Thundro increased the level to ten times the natural level and had the key bearers move about until their bones were used to the weight. To add, he gave new uniforms to the key bearers, heavier than the previous. He drilled them hour after hour of every day. Despite the strain, the suffering, and the near death experiences, Riku and Sora did not falter. They took the challenges head on, repeating them continuously if they had to. Thundro was impressed.
I have to say one thing about these boys. He thought to himself. They dont give up. They remind me more of Goten. He had that same stubborn streak to continue. I guess he gets that from his father.
Finally, the end of the second week had come and the key bearers were once again confined to the treacherous and torrential atmosphere of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. For another full year-within-a-day, the young key bearers would endure the harshest elements they have ever encountered. There was no doubt that the trial would put them over the edge and perhaps delve them into a state of unimaginable chaos and insanity. But low and behold, as another twenty-four hours past in the fifteenth day of training, the key bearers emerged from the chamber.
Once again Thundro met them at the door and once again they came from the room changed young men. Sora had now grown a little taller, reaching almost equal height to Riku. Their hair was once again flowing down, long locks tide behind their neck. Sora again looked like Cuchulain, while Riku regained that flowing image of Sephiroth. Their clothes tattered and their bodies weary and bloodied, they came before the Imperial. This time, Sora, having used up a great deal of energy, was slumped over Rikus shoulder.
I see that you two managed to survive another full years course in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Thundro declared. Your bodies have again undergone a change.
I just hope that youre right about that chamber. Riku said. I hope we didnt just waste two years of our lives in only two days.
Unlike some other access points, this way guarantees the halting of age. Thundro looked into the weary eyes of the key bearers, sensing their new found strength. I can tell that you have reached a new level of strength. There is certainly a boost in your power signatures. The only other person who has excelled this much was Goten. But then again, he has been undergoing this kind of training all of his life. However, I must say youve certainly gone beyond what Guentory Finnele ever achieved though, in all his years under me. He could barely spend two months, let alone a full year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
Weve encountered a great deal of those ten times normal gravity spots.-
Hence the increase, Thundro used his power to heal the key bearers then turned to the Gravity Chamber door. You know the routine, boys.
We know,-
But dont we get at least a few minutes to cool off though? Sora asked. Thundro was silent. Riku sighed.
Its no use, Sora. You know perfectly well that requesting a rest period no longer fits in our schedule. Besides, Master Thundro would never allow it.
Yeah, youre right.-
The key bearers huffed themselves up and accompanied Thundro to the gravity chamber. Once entering, Thundro calculated the gravity to ten times the natural gravity. He gazed at the young men to see if they had undergone any strain in the process. So far, he witnessed no wavering. Once reaching the programmed level, the three took their positions, Thundro on one side, Riku and Sora on the other. The key bearers unleashed their keyblades. They then took from their pockets the gold and glass orbs, with which they practiced balance for the whole session they were in the time chamber. As before, they tossed their orbs into the air and delicately caught them on the steel shafts of their weapons.
Alright, boys, Thundro said, Lets see how much you have improved. Thundro drew out orbs as well, another two both glass and gold. He tossed them mid air. At the same time, he drew out his twin swords and both spheres landed delicately upon the sharpened steel.
Two orbs? Sora thought.
Hes gonna fight us with two orbs again? Riku wondered.
The first one to drop an orb loses. Thundro declared.
Is that so? Then you better watch yourself. You have two orbs to worry about.-
Dont worry about me, boys. The only ones you have to worry about are yourselves. This is a straight forward duel. There will be no change in gravity and no use of elementals. This will be a strict blade to blade battle.-
This should be easy enough then. Sora said.
Then let us begin.-
Thundro suddenly attacked, the orbs still balanced upon his blades. The key bearers lunged as well, their orbs still balanced. The three engaged in intense combat at the same time. Back and forth they battled, keeping an eye on each other at the same time watching the ascension and descent of the orbs. Intertwined in a barrage of swings, thrusts, lunges, blocks, counters, and evasions, it seemed as if the warriors had choreographed their movements ahead of time in a series of practiced sessions. The reality was that the engagement was all in earnest. The reason for their precision was because of their heightened senses. For the key bearers, their senses had been heightened to such a level; theyd be able to sense a feather dropping from a mile away.
Impressive, Thundro said within, It seems that the Riku and Sora have evolved in their skills far more than what I had earlier perceived. It seems that they really take their training seriously. If they had been exposed to this regimen as children and continued on to this age, their skills would have been just as formidable as Gotens. And that in itself is a large compliment. The three dispersed for a while, after ten full minutes of intense fighting, to regain composure. Thundro looked into the eyes of his pupils. Even as we stop, their senses have not diminished. They are waiting for me to make the next move. They are so focused, always on guard. Their eyes do not linger from me.
Have you had enough yet? Sora declared.
Youve certainly impressed me. Thundro openly replied with a smirk. I can tell that you havent been slacking off in there.
We wanted to impress you. That was our goal.-
And so you have. Thundro gripped his blades. However, just because your strength has increased a great deal doesnt mean that you have improved enough to defeat me.
Well just see about that. Riku shouted.
Then come at me and lets see what you can really do.-
Alright, you asked for it. Riku looked at Sora. Are you ready for this?-
Lets get him. Sora replied.
The two suddenly attacked with precise coordination and speed, attacking Thundro from two sides. Thundro watched them approach him.
Youre good, Ill give you that. Thundro suddenly lifted himself into the air. The key bearers watched as he lifted over their heads. But youre not good enough.
You cant elude us that easily! Riku shouted. The two leaped into the air ready to make a critical blow.
But then, Thundro swung his twin swords and unleashed two blue energy waves that went streaking through the air towards the key bearers. Caught off guard by the attacked, Riku and Sora were struck and pummeled to the ground. Losing consciousness for a while, their orbs dropped to the ground. Rikus golden orb was dented and Soras glass orb had shattered across the ground. Thundro on the other hand landed just as a graceful as ever, catching both of his orbs upon his blades with little difficulty.
Well, well, Thundro said. He threw up the orbs and threw up his swords. He caught the orbs first and his twin blades sheathed themselves, falling perfectly into the slots of their scabbards. Thundro observed his two orbs and then looked at the damaged spheres of his students. It seems to me that Ive won this little match.
That was no fair! Sora protested, standing to his feet. You cheated!
And how is that?-
You said that this would be a strict blade-to-blade duel and there was to be no use of elementals of any kind!-
Explain yourself, Thundro. Riku added.
Well, I believe I was strict to the rules. However, the use of energy waves is not considered an elemental attack. It was neither a light nor a force element. That is the form that energy takes on, if its strong and condensed enough. So you were not confined from using energy waves in this duel. To add, I accumulated that energy through my swords. So technically, it was still a blade-to-blade battle.-
Then why didnt you explain that to us before?! Sora shouted.
I was under the impression that you were already aware of that fact. But apparently you were not. Unfortunately, the use of energy waves uses up a great deal of your own inner strength. You are not accustomed to the use of such power. Had you used enough chakra and increased its mass to a large enough magnitude to use against me, then your strength would have been cut in half or perhaps a little more. Therefore, you would never be able to recover beyond that point. And in my experience, one must not allow him or herself to overindulge in their strength reserves. Thus, the use of energy waves should be limited to the moment where it is absolutely necessary.-
If thats the case, Riku implied, Then your strength would diminish every time you deployed an energy blast like that.
In most cases, youd be right, Riku. However, I have been conditioned to launch multiple energy wave attacks without having to show the slightest sign of fatigue. Had you been exposed the battles here in the Z realm, you would have discovered that your own tactics are miniscule, even with the power of the keyblade in your favor. Im sure you have seen what Nappa and Vegeta were capable of in that simulation on the first week.-
The key bearers remembered that moment and recalled how frightened they were. Sora had experienced such a fight in his own lifetime, going head to head with Lord Cavendish himself.
In this realm, a single one-on-one battle between two powerful foes can cover an area from as small as a region to as vast as a galactic quadrant. For example, Sora, that little scuffle that you get yourself into with His late Excellency Master Cavendish. Im sure you remember.-
Yes& Sora replied, sweat rolling down his brow.
Had His Excellency taken that battle seriously, you would have been dead after the first punch. And Im sure you remember the original Ultima keyblade you had, which you used to fight against the Heartless of Xehenort and his Nobody counterpart, Xemnas and Organization XIII. In most cases, the keyblade cannot be destroyed by anything. But even the keyblade has its limits. Its power is confined to the strength of ones heart and ones destiny. So the strength of the keyblade depends upon the inner strength of the key bearer. However, for a force that had wielded the power of the Universal Mandate, and is capable of eradicating entire galactic systems by use of resonating energy in their eyes alone, the keyblades can be shattered just as easily as that glass orb you bore. That is why the first keyblade shattered, both you and your weapon were overcome by the force.-
My God,-
Compared to that, what you have encountered so far against the Imperial Axis would be considered an irritation not worth observing by elite Imperial standards. Thundro approached the key bearers. However, what I have sensed this day has convinced me that you are more than ready to endure the final test.
The final test&? Riku asked.
Why do you act so surprised, Riku? You have been training all this time for this one moment. The key bearers eyes began to sparkle, realizing that they have achieved their goal. You should congratulate yourselves. You have gained enough strength to take in the Immunity Orb.
Alright, Sora cheered.
Thats enough of that. Thundro said with a stern voice. This is something that one cannot cheer over, Sora. Unless you have forgotten that pain I put Riku through when giving a sample of the orbs power. Sora silenced himself, remembering that moment. This is what you have been conditioning your mind, body, and spirit for, to endure the pain of the Immunity Orb. Thundro held out his hands and accumulated a great energy source on his palms. From his hands, two glowing white orbs appeared, the same Thundro had presented to them before. It will take an estimated five days for the orb to integrate itself into your system. But for those five days, you will rive in unimaginable agony. For five days you must bear the pain. For five days your bodies will contort and twist about from the sudden surges. Your mind will begin to fluctuate and you may become delusional, broken to the point of madness and beyond. If you give up, if you have the slightest doubt that the cause is not worth the pain, you will be overwhelmed by the orb and will die. A seldom few have ever survived this trial process, succumbing to their ailment after one or two days. However, if you manage to survive after five days, you would have gained a strong asset in your arsenal. So the question you have to ask yourselves is this. Are you ready?
Yes, Riku said.
Once you have absorbed the orb, there is no extracting it. There will be no way out. The only thing left for you is the pain and suffering you must endure. So Ill ask you again. Are you ready?-
For our friends and our home, Sora said, Were ready.
Then so be it, boys. Good luck. Thundro suddenly thrust both of his hands into the torsos of the key bearers. The thud of the body was loud and the key bearers were overwhelmed by a sudden surge as the orbs were taken into their bodies. They fell to the ground in sudden pain. Thundro looked at them. After a few seconds, silence suddenly lulled. Riku and Sora looked at each other then looked at Thundro. The sensation of pain had been brief.
Was that it? Riku asked. Was that the process?
It wasnt so bad. Sora added.
So says you. Thundro uttered.
No sooner had he said that, then the first symptoms of the suffering began. There was a sudden burning surge and aching throb that reverberated within the key bearers a hundred fold. They became so overcome by the pain that they again fell to the ground and wriggled around like earthworms exposed in the air. They struggled and thrashed, kicking their legs violently as their bodies twisted and contorted in riles of agonizing pain and suffering. Riku and Sora began to scream in such blood curdling pitches, the sound was enough to haunt the mind of even the most battle hardened of warriors.
The pain, the pain, Riku strained.
My God, it hurts, Sora screamed, It hurts so badly!
And this is only the tip of the iceberg, boys. Thundro said. You will have to endure this suffering for the next five days. Thundro turned away and left without saying another word. He closed the doors to the gravity room tightly behind him. But even so, the sealed door did not absorb the screams of the key bearers entirely. The sound of their cries could still be heard, muffled behind the sealed chamber. Thundro sighed and retired to his room. Its going to be a long five days. But sleep deprivation for me is nothing compared to what those two will have to endure.
Five days would pass, but it would be a period in which no rest would come for the key bearers. Almost twenty four hours a day, they would not be able to stand, at times pounding onto the floor until their fists were bloody. That was the extent to the orbs power.
The first day was by far the worst since the pangs and contortions were a sensation Riku and Sora were not familiar with. They could feel their innards move about as the energy flowed into their veins. Their arteries seemed to burn and each thump of their heart caused agony to reverberate from head to toe.
The pain, Sora would roar out continuously. The pain, it hurts!
Damn it! Riku would bellow into the late hours of the night as he slammed his hand upon the floor.
For the full day, the muffled cries of the young men could be heard. Thundro stayed up for a good long while now as the shouting of the key bearers burdened his ears.
To think, he said to himself, This is only the first day. Its painful for them, and to me rather irritating, having to hear their wailing into the wee hours of the morning. But at least I know that theyre still alive.
The second day passed with the same results, pounding and screaming. Thundro bore the noise, believing that the cries from his two students were at least a sign that they had not succumbed to the suffering. The hours ticked by slowly, as if it extended for an eternity.
The third day passed, just as unbearable as the first couple of days. Riku and Sora, though not as frequently, continued to cry out. Their bodies had been able to fathom the intense pain, adapting to the sensation. But there was still that deep, inner gut wrenching that twisted at their very core, a sharp pain that tingled down the spine like so many impaling iron spikes penetrating their bodies all from multiple directions.
The pain, Sora would cry out. I cant take it! Take it out! Take it out!
No more, Riku would wail. His voice as if in tears, God, Master Thundro, please take it out of us! Take the orb out!
There is nothing I can do, boys. Thundro would utter, continuing with his meditations and other activities and whatnot about the facility. The process can not be reversed. You have only two options from this point on. You will either live or die in the end. There is no alternative.
The third day had come and gone just as the other days did before it. Now, the forth day lay before them, another horrendous twenty-four hours screaming and shouting. It was on this day that Thundro finally went in to see how his two students were doing. As he entered the chamber, he beheld a grotesque sight. There was blood splattered in droplets all over the floor. And there, sitting up against the central pillar, where the control panel was located, Sora and Riku lay, covering in blood.
Boys, the Imperial uttered.
Thundro ran to them to check if they were dead or alive. He examined both warriors. Riku and Sora were both bloodied about both hands, their knuckles smashed to a pulp. He looked at their faces to find that their faces had puffed up from impact. Their noses and lips were bloodied and ghastly wounds were open on their foreheads. It was then that Thundro realized what caused this.
Theyve been inflicting injuries on themselves. He thought to himself. Theyve been pounding their heads and fists against the floor to ease the pain. He then checked for a pulse on each of them. Well, at least you both are still alive. Still, I should have kept a better eye on you. Otherwise, this would not have happened. Thundro put his hands over the key bearers and used his inner energy to heal them. Their wounds disappeared and their energy was replenished. But despite that, the warriors were inactive. Their physical wounds and outer afflictions have been mended. But there is nothing I can do to ease the pain within their minds, their hearts, or their souls.
Master, Sora whispered, Please take it out. Take the orb out of us.
This pain is too great for us. Riku added. Its killing us. We nearly killed ourselves to ease the pangs. Its unbearable.
Are you giving up? Thundro asked, his voice suddenly turning stern.
Well&-
Is your cause not worth fighting and dying for?-
We want to fight for our cause and help our friends. Sora said. But,-
There is no but! Thundro shouted. If your cause is not worth fighting for, then just say so, succumb to the ailments that plague you and end your suffering by taking your own miserable lives right now! Thundro stood up. You will not gain any sympathy from me! I told you that the process was irreversible. You have only two choices from this point on! You will both bear the pain and live to help your friends. Or you will succumb to your torments and be no use to them at all. Thundro looked down upon the key bearers. But its funny though, only now at the end do you two decide to give up. I would have expected more from the great Riku and Sora. But if either or both of you decide to yield to the pain, then I guess you werent worthy enough! Youre not worthy to bear your keyblades, youre not worthy to have friends who respect you, and you are not worthy of my time and effort to train and prepare!
This continuous line of put-downs wore on the key bearers. They had never felt so insulted before.
Youve made your point. Riku growled. Thats enough.
No, Im telling you this because you havent gotten the point! You keep bickering and bothering about your pain and your personal ailments, yet you havent even once thought about the disappointment your friends will hold against you if you come back and have achieved nothing! That makes all of my efforts pointless!-
But were strong enough already. Sora said.
And how did that little detail enter your minds, eh? Did it just pop out from your own imagination! Some heart you have, Sora. The feared master of the keyblade, the one who helped defeat Organization XIII and defied the might of the Imperial regime, cant take a little abuse from his trainer. You make me sick.-
Thats enough. Riku shouted, defending his friend. Thundro glared at the silver-haired youth.
You are in no position to be telling me what to do, Noctin Tilandir. You may act tough, but when it comes to bearing pain, you cant fathom it. I would have thought that one like you would have been able to bear this kind of ailment, especially after undergoing that torture festivity with General Ameba way back when.-
Be quiet,-
If you ask me, perhaps Ameba should have lashed you across the back a few more times and flay flesh from bone with every swing. Maybe that would have toughened you up.-
I said enough, Riku shouted. He looked as if he were ready to lunge at the Imperial. Thundro realized this as he saw the sudden burning within the youths pupils. There was a sudden surge of energy, one that he had not felt before. And for a moment, Thundro backed off. But then the pangs returned to both key bearers and they began to scream out loud again. Thundro, for the first time in four days heard the full extent of their screaming. And it was something that he found unbearable.
I see, Thundro thought to himself. He went to the gravity control panel and activated the gravity level to twenty times the natural level. Unaccustomed to the pressure, the key bearers were thrown to the ground and lay flat on their bellies, screaming and trying to move. But the gravity proved too heavy for them. I did not want to resort to this, but I have no choice. I cant afford having you inflict more damage on yourselves now can I? Thundro quickly withdrew, closing the door behind him. He continued to listen to the screaming of the young men. Perhaps those last few comments were uncalled for. That look in Rikus eyes, he and Sora have gained a great deal of power. I wonder how much they have gained while in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

At the same time, back in Traverse Town, the KH team still lingered about, enjoying to their best the life within the settlement. They did anything and everything they could to keep their minds off of the Riku and Sora. However, it was during this time on the final week that Ophelia again had a strange premonition as she had for the passed few nights. Funny enough, her dreams and visions occurred the same time the key bearers were undergoing their endurance with the Immunity Orbs. She sat at the table, alone in the green room, her mind concentrated on the faint energy sources far away.
Kairi and Olette came in to see if she was alright.
Are you okay, Ophelia? Kairi asked. Youve been like this for the past couple of days.
Is there something wrong? Olette asked.
Riku and Sora, Ophelia uttered. The other two females perked up.
Riku and Sora, Kairi asked, What about them? Are they alright?
Theyre in pain, such terrible pain.-
Pain, what do you mean?-
They are in such terrible pain. They are undergoing a great deal of suffering.-
How do you know that? Olette wondered.
I can sense them. Their hearts are wavering.-
Are they in some kind of trouble? Kairi asked.
They are not in trouble. This pain they are willing to endure. It must have something to do with their training.-
Then, youve been having that same vision.-
Youve been having it too, Kairi? Olette inquired.
I have, for the past four days now. Its a recurring dream I have at night. I see Sora twisting and contorting as if something is hurting him. Hes always screaming and hollering and crying for the pain to go away. At the end of every dream, he seems to look at me with those puppy-dog eyes and I always wake up crying.-
Oh Kairi,-
I only hope they can endure a little longer. Ophelia stated.

The gravity pressed upon the key bearers, not allowing them to move. They could not lift their heads to bang against the floor or raise their fists to smash them to a pulp. Instead, now they had to endure the pain within without twisting about their bodies to ease their suffering. Each passing second seemed an eternity to the key bearers as the wrenching throb only grew stronger as a wave against a rocky shore.
I cant move, Riku. Sora uttered.
Damn that Thundro. Riku growled. He did this on purpose. Hes increased the gravity so much we cant hope to move a finger.
Is he trying to crush us?-
No, he did this so we wouldnt inflict wounds on ourselves again.-
But the pain is too much. Sora felt a sudden wrenching in his gut, which caused his whole body to go numb. He cried out his suffering, screaming at the top of his lungs. Riku&!
Hold on, Sora. But Riku too was overcome by the immense power of the orb as it thrust itself upon him as well. Damn it, damn it, damn it&!
I cant take this anymore. Soras physical and mental torment began to wear down on him, forcing him to crack. The youth was so overcome by the pangs within, it forced tears from his eyes. Make it stop, make it stop&!
Sora& Riku said. But the aura of the orb surged through his body, a burning sensation most intolerable. But for some reason, the pain only made Riku more furious and angrier now. Instead of being paralyzed by the numbingly painful effects of the Immunity Orb, he fought it. With that, he fought the gravity, straining himself, pulling away at his weight until he threw himself upon his stomach. He reached for Sora who was still prostrated on the ground.
Riku, Im gonna die. Sora strained as the energy again pounded away at his torso and abdomens. I feel like my bodies about to explode.
No Sora. Riku tried to crawl over to his friends side. The heavy gravity kept him in place, but it was not enough to stop Riku. You have to keep going, Sora. Its for our friends, our home, our future.
Riku,-
Stay in there with me, Sora. Riku managed to crawl over to Sora on his bell. He tried to lift himself with his left arm. But the strain he put on his limb was great, the ligaments in the muscle tore and again the youth fell. His left arm was now useless. My arm&
No Riku. Sora looked at his friend, seeing him in agony. Dont strain yourself, Riku.
We have to endure just a little longer. Riku stretched out his right hand, reaching for Sora. Just a little longer, Soras eyes dripping with tears as he saw his comrade in dire strength. He admired Rikus courage and his charisma. Soras hopes were restored and a new hope glowed from within that even surpassed the sting of the auras integration.
I wont give up. Sora said. I will stay strong! Sora moved his arm to the best he could, reaching for Rikus outstretched fingers. Inch by inch, he moved his hand, hoping to touch the tips. In the process, there was a sudden surge of energy coming from Sora, a similar, unknown aura that had earlier accumulated within Riku. It was the power of his new found strength. The effects of the Immunity Orb were already starting to take its shape. A strange blue glow began to arise within the key bearer as his efforts to reach his friends hand forced him to press one. Little by little, Sora crept. Then with one last strain, he summoned a great deal of energy, which bellowed like a raging fire, forcing the gravity to submit. In all his emotional strain, Sora threw his hand forward until his fingers were clutched around Rikus palm. He then gazed at his silver-haired counterpart. Riku, for some reason began to give a strained smile.
You did it.-
Stay in there with me, Riku.
And you to me as well.-

Thundro felt the sudden surge of energy reverberating through the facility.
That power. He thought to himself. Could it have been&? He knew where it originated. Giving a sigh of relief, he smiled and chuckled. Well, well, it seems that the key bearers have done it. Theyve overcome the pain and have found enlightenment.
The fourth day had passed and gone, emerging into the final day in which the orbs were to have been fully integrated into the system of the each of the key bearers. Thundro awoke from his slumber. But for some reason, he felt rather refreshed. He yawned and smacked his lips before realizing that something was unusual about his surroundings.
Somethings wrong. He thought to himself. Theres a strange essence in the air. It was then that he realized what it was that was strange about the morning atmosphere. It was quiet, too quiet. For the first time in five days, there was silence. Immediately, his thoughts went to the key bearers. He threw himself out of bed and ran to the gravity chamber, fearing that something might have happened.
Its barely into the fifth day. I hope Riku and Sora arent& His teeth and fist tightened. Opening the gravity chamber door, he gazed upon Riku and Sora who lay motionless upon the ground. Thundro quickly deactivated the gravity simulator and knelt by the two key bearers. You boys better not be dead. He checked for a pulse. Sure enough, there was the silent steady beating of their hearts. Thundro sighed. Well, at least you made it into the fifth day.
Using his power, he rejuvenated the key bearers. Riku and Sora slowly opened their eyes and found Thundro kneeling over them.
Master Thundro&? Sora uttered.
Are we alive&? Riku asked.
Youre alive, boys. Thundro replied. And how do you feel?
Well, I feel& Riku suddenly sat himself up, his eyes widened with surprise. He felt his body. There was no longer any pain. The pain, the pangs, theyre gone.
Yeah, Sora added as he lifted himself off the ground. The pain has stopped. But why is that?
You should congratulate yourselves, boys. Thundro complimented. It seems that the Immunity Orbs have been fully integrated into your beings.
Really&?-
Already&? Riku asked.
Thats correct. Thundro replied.
But how was that possible?-
Perhaps it was that surge of energy you deployed yesterday. It may have heightened your strength and quickened the integration process. Thundro folded his arms before him. I guess I was wrong then. You two were not a waste of my time to train.
Alright, Sora cheered. We did it, we did it!
Weve got the orbs power now! Riku added.
Now well be able to help our friends.-
Just a minute, you two, Thundro said. The key bearers stopped their celebrating for a moment. Just because you have achieved the power of the Immunity Orb does not mean that your training is finished.
What do you mean? Riku asked.
You will have something else to achieve to add to your arsenal of techniques and abilities. I will present that to you two on the final day. I also have something planned for tomorrow, so you better be ready.-
So what do we do now? Sora wondered.
I believe for today, you two have earned a day of rest.-
Really&?-
Yes, you will be free to do whatever it is that you want for today. If you want to relax, so be it. If you want to train yourselves further, then so be it. You will have the full day and night to yourselves.-
Alright,-
But lets have your hair trimmed a little first. You havent had a trim since you exited the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.-
Good idea. Riku said.
With that, the three dispersed from their usual regimen. Sora and Riku had earned their right of a full days rest. They had survived their trial and have gained a powerful asset because of it. Now, their minds and bodies could rest at ease.

Meanwhile, in Traverse Town, Ophelia felt the diminishing of the painful surges. As she arose from her slumber, she smiled to herself. After five days of sensing the vibration of energy far away, she could finally rest her mind.
You did it, you guys. She said.

The fifth day passed without any incident. The key bearers, for the first time in almost three weeks, were allowed to do as they please for a full day. Riku and Sora did a little free sparring, took nature walks, and meditated to sharpen their skills. Thundro was impressed. Despite being relieved of his authority for one day, the key bearers did not spend it in mindless laziness and continuous siestas. Instead, they did what they could to improve their mind and bodies.
Day turned into night and the key bearers were able to slumber without fear in a comfortable bed. As the night passed on, transforming into the wee hours of the second to the final day, they awoke easily and without trouble. Riku was the first to arouse himself from his bed. He looked over at Sora, peacefully sleeping with one hand on his stomach, the other coinciding with the side of his face.
Riku crept over to Soras bedside and put his hand on his chest.
Hey, Sora, he uttered, Its time to wake up.
Soras eyes slowly opened. He yawned and rubbed his eyes before gazing at his friend.
Hey there, Riku. He replied. Good morning.
So how did you sleep?-
Oh, Sora stretched, I havent slept this well in the passed three weeks, or for that matter ever since we left home. I finally get to sleep in a nice warm bed in a secured area.
There were beds in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.-
I know, but I was just a little uneasy sleeping there. It was always day time in there and there was nothing really protecting us between our accommodations and the vast openness of that dimension.-
There was nothing out there though.-
Yeah, but still it was a little uneasy.-
Just then, there was a wrap at the door. It was Thundro.
Boys, are you up? he asked.
Yes, we are. Riku replied.
Im coming in. Thundro opened the door to greet his two pupils. I trust that you slept well.
The best sleep since we started our adventure. Sora said.
It is the second to the final day of your stay here, boys. I want you to get dressed. Im going to put you through one last simulation.-
Alright, Riku confirmed.
By the way, you do not have to worry about putting on your Imperial uniforms. You can attire yourself with your old wardrobe again.-
Really&? Sora asked.
There is no need for you to be formal in dress from this point out. Thundro opened the wardrobe at the foot of Rikus bed. He pulled out the old outfits of the key bearers, neatly folded. I took the liberty of cleaning and pressing your wardrobes.
Thank you, Master Thundro.-
You do not have to be formal in title as well now. Your main training has passed. The only thing that matters now is to keep your bodies conditioned well enough to aid your comrades.-
Riku and Sora nodded and put on their old gear. The feel of cotton snug against the skin was a sensation they had been craving for three weeks.
Now, Thundro continued, Adjourn to the Pendulum Room for your last simulation.

The three made their way back to the Scenario Chamber. As they had done multiple times before for the past couple of weeks, the key bearers took their stand upon the scenario platforms.
So is this going to be the final test that we have? Sora asked.
This is not exactly a final test. Thundro replied. I always found that it is at times satisfactory to show your skills off in a battle you participated in years before.
You mean, well be fighting a battle from our own past?-
But why&?-
Its just to show off your new found skills to both your former enemies and your former selves.-
You mean well also be meeting with ourselves in this past battle? Riku asked.
Thats correct. And because its a simulation, your presence will not affect the outcome of this present reality. The question left is, which battle somewhere in your past would you like to engage in?-
Well, I dont know. Riku turned to Sora. Do you have any ideas?
Lets see. He replied. It was then that Sora had a brilliant idea. He snapped his fingers, declaring his decision. I have it. I know which battle I would really like to show off my talents to.
Just give me the description and I will have it calculated into the simulator. Thundro said.
The battle I want to go back to is&-

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

SimpleSoul52 on March 18, 2007, 12:10:43 AM

SimpleSoul52 on
SimpleSoul52OOOH! This is getting really good! I really liked how you staged Kairi and Ophelia's first encounter, and the transition between Ophelia's thoughts and Sora and Riku's training. Really cool! *I can't wait to when my character is introduced! ^-^*