Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Chapter Three

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons for humans are crunchy. And taste good with ketchup.

Chapter 3 - Chapter Three

Chapter 3 - Chapter Three


When I finally came to, I was resting on a bed much smaller than what I was used to, covered by threadbare sheets. My braid had been taken out and my hair spread about me like a blonde halo. I quickly sat, my fingers automatically redoing the braid as I looked around, trying to figure out where I was.

The first thing I noticed was the smell of fire and metal, and that strange static smell one often notices right before a rainstorm. I looked around, rubbing grit from my eyes. A glowing ball of light sat inside a jar beside me on a table. I frowned at it, and then realized the light was a wisp, one of the willow-o-the-wisp, that leads travelers through bogs. I shuddered and turned away, looking at the smooth walls of the cave I was in. They were decorated with pretty fabrics, red silks and satins mixed with oranges and yellows.

To my left, I noticed a glass door, the evening sun shining through it, partially hidden by more sheets of silk. The glass door, I saw, opened onto a veranda that would give a wonderful view of the countryside. Water bubbled softly from another room, the sound of a flowing stream. A dresser and mirror, covered in grime, were propped against the wall to my left as well and, across from my bed, was another small door and several shelves, presumably for books.

A scratching noise from behind the door had me frozen and staring in that direction, watching the door critically.

“Please?” I heard a voice ask quietly. I sounded as if it belonged to a young boy. “I'm much smaller than you. I can go see.”

I frowned at the comment wondering who was speaking and to whom.

After a moment's silence, another voice replied, “Very well. But if she is not awake, do not wake her.”

I nearly fainted again when I recognized that voice. Nagash, the king of Dragons, had spoken last.

Slowly, the door was pushed open and a small, silver Dragon head poked itself into my room. The brilliant green eyes widened when they noticed me and the little Dragon retreated immediately. He didn't waste time being quiet as he exclaimed, “Nagash, Nagash, she's awake! She's awake!”

“I'm sure the entire mountain is awake now, thanks to your yelling,” Nagash's voice replied as he pushed the door open and stepped in, looking very human and very attractive. His dark blue tunic and trousers complimented his eyes wonderfully, I thought in the back of my mind. Then I thought how stupid I was for thinking a Dragon was attractive, especially since that Dragon probably wanted to eat me.

“Hello,” I ventured, tugging my braid.

“Hello,” he said as he approached.

“Hello!” the little Dragon shouted as he rushed by Nagash and up to my bed. He was much smaller than Nagash had been in his Dragon form. This Dragon was about the size of a small pony. He brought his snout level with my face. “I'm Anash, Nagash's little brother and it's nice to meet you, Miss Princess. Is Nagash going to be your Dragon? Are you going to be his Princess? Are you going to have my brother's babies?”

I stared at him as I tried to formulate a response to the last question. Babies?! my abused mind demanded. Why is he asking about babies?!

Nagash put a hand on Anash's head and pulled it from my face. “Forgive my younger brother. He has no tact, as he is so young. Anash,” he said, turning to the younger Dragon, “go and find your friends to play with. Princess Azaphora and I have things we need to discuss.”

Anash gave a Dragon pout, which consisted of dropping his head and letting small flames lick his lips. Nagash didn't seem perturbed by that. I was, but I tried not to let it show.

When Anash had left the room, Nagash turned to me, one eyebrow quirked. “Is something the matter?” he asked.

I shook my head. “Not particularly. I'm just not entirely used to be assaulted by a Dragon immediately after I wake,” I replied.

“I would imagine.” His tone was so dry, it was a desert.

There was momentarily silence as he watched me from where he sat at the edge of my bed and as I tired not to watch him. When the pregnant quietness began to claw at me, I asked, “What did your brother, Anash, mean?”

“By what?”

“Making babies,” I replied, plucking at the threadbare sheets.

“He meant exactly that. Surely you've been educated on the subject of Dragons and how we reproduce,” Nagash said, a sneering disbelief evident in his voice.

I made a funny, disgruntled noise. “Of course I have. You take princesses and make them bear your children. I suppose I never believed it.”

“Why?”

“Because Dragons are big and scaly!” I exclaimed, turning to him. “And princesses aren't and I can't imagine it would be a pleasant experience!”

“Except now you see that we can change into a human form at will,” Nagash said, his voice wandering as he turned away from me to examine the sheets on the wall.

I followed his gaze. “I'll hazard a guess that says you want me to have your children,” I said quietly.

Nagash gave a cold, cruel laugh. “Hardly. I don't know your ancestry; the king of the Dragons can't just breed any human wench that he wants. I decided to bring you here so that I can have a princess to take care of these caves. They need cleaning and organizing and I don't have the time to do it.”

“You're making me your slave?” I demanded, my violet eyes glaring daggers into his blue ones.

“Not a slave. I'm merely asking you to do some things for me,” he replied, not affected at all by my glaring.

“I will do no such-”

“You will do as I say, Princess,” he snarled, smoke curling about his lip. I froze, eyes wide, not saying anything. “You see, here your title means nothing.”

I turned away, muttering, “Then why not get a normal serving girl instead of a princess who has never done any hard labor?”

“Because, my dear,” he growled, turning me to face him, “a Dragon can only stand to be served by a Princess. You reek of gold and jewels, not the stench of pigs and waste.” Giving me a cold smile, he brought my hand to his face, sniffing the one ring I brought with me.

I snatched my hand from his, curling it against my chest and covering the gold ring with my other hand. Holly had given me the ring before she had vanished; she had never asked for it back, so I continued to wear it.

He laughed another cold laugh.

“So I'm your servant,” I snapped. “What rules must I follow?”

His cold blue eyes sneered at me. “They are simple rules, Princess. You are, obviously, to do as I say. You may wander where you will, but never enter another Dragon's caves without his permission, or the permission of his Princess. Never touch another Dragon's horde without his express permission. Doing so could get you killed. And I would hate to have to find another Princess. Your men are becoming quite skilled at keeping you from us. Lastly, do not let any knights into this cave, or into the mountain itself. Simple, no?”

“Simple,” I agreed, turning my eyes from his to look at the colorful silken sheets hanging from the walls. I could sense his eyes turning from me and following my gaze. “I don't like those sheets,” I said softly. “I don't like them at all.”

“How ironic,” Nagash said, just as quietly. “I despise them as well.”

I didn't take my gaze from the sheets until I heard the door close and his massive Dragon footsteps vanished beyond my ability to detect. Curling up on my side, I buried my face in my arms and cried.

Holly, I cried out in my mind, what ever made you stare at this place like you did? It's horrible…I don't know how you could stand it… How can you stand to look at it so longingly? How…?

It was sometime later that I felt myself being moved about so I was tucked under the threadbare covers. A heavier comforter was placed on top of me after I had settled and, try as I might, I couldn't muster the strength to open my eyes and see who was being so nice to me.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Trinity_Fire on September 3, 2005, 5:16:37 AM

Trinity_Fire on
Trinity_FireOoh, it's building up! ^_^-
I like Anash, he's cute! :)
This is really interesting, you better continue! ^____^ I'll be checking on this! Keep up the awesome writing. ^_~