Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Heat Exhaustion

When I was younger dad ran away and mom died. Once my older brother, sister, and I ran away from the orphange it just got more confusing. But it was a runaway. Our little secret.

Chapter 3 - Heat Exhaustion

Chapter 3 - Heat Exhaustion




Kiaragurl03- Tee Hee, the newest chapter. Keegan coming in the next one, don't worry Onee-chan! ^-^

-------------------------------------







“Girlfriend?” Chii asked Sora, who just replied by nodding. I glanced at Yuki and let go of his arm walking back over to Chii.



Sora feeling a little uneasy now looked for Yuki to help, who tried to change the subject. “How was the movie?” Chii looked at him letting her eyes become merciless, “Wouldn't you like to know.”



Yuki looked back at Chii as wall glaring as if saying `Relax. I'll explain later'. Yuki then looked at me and smiled, “Did you like it Kiyara?” I opened my mouth to respond, but Chii put her hand to stop me. “You should of come if you want to know, don't ask Kiyara.”



Sora laughed nervously and stated, “This is quiet awkward isn't it?” I replied by only nodding agreeing. Why was Chii so mad? Chii grabbed my arm and dragged me along back towards home. “See you later.”



Now it was Yuki's turn to chase us like we had done to him and so he did. He smiled at Sora saying, `see you later', and chased after us. “Chii! Kiyara!” I turned around stopping since somewhere over the time she let go of my arm.



Yuki however didn't stop running when he passed me, he waited till he got to Chii and grabbed her shoulders. He wasn't even breathing hard Yuki was a great runner. “What's up? Why are you so angry?”



I waited for Chii to respond, but she didn't. Yuki tightened his grip trying to get her to talk. “Don't act like this! Turn around and stop giving me the cold shoulder!”



Chii now turned around and I don't know if Yuki could see, but I could see tears on the brim of her eyes. “This is the only time in months that we've been able to get you a day off! You'd rather spend it with that—that-girl!?”



When we were younger we had a lot of time being with one another maybe Yuki felt like he needed someone else. Its funny what love can do to people, but this is the first time I've ever had known Yuki to have a girlfriend nevertheless lie to us.



He let go of Chii's shoulders and walked around for a moment leaning over the bridge looking at the water. “Why is it that every day you two have to have some sort of angry vibe going around? I'm sorry I ditched you two, but she showed up! I couldn't just leave her there.”



“So you left us!?” Chii was angry, she kept yelling as people stared.



I kept standing there watching my older siblings. Why did we always get so angry? Yuki had a point; it seemed every day lately we were getting angry. Chii also had a point, he had no reason to leave us and even if he did he should have told us.



I wonder if Yuki feels lonely too, if he is going out with Sora because he too feels like he needs someone to care like I do or even Chii.



“I told you, I'm sorry!”



Chii wiped her eyes getting angry, “You care for no one but yourself Yuki!”



“That's bullsh*t! I care about you two! Why in the hell do you think I bought this house? You on the other hand, blowing covers left and right!”





Yuki was getting mad and I hated when he got mad. Chii looked at me and pointed, I knew she wasn't trying to be meaning, but she was only trying to be fair. “Kiyara blew our cover too! Why aren't you yelling at her?”



Yuki looked at me and I looked back at him and then the other way, to the other side of the bridge. Some odd reason I couldn't take when Yuki or Chii stared at me it was weird. “Don't bring her into this Chii! She's not even arguing leave her alone!”



She laughed and pointed her finger at Yuki, “Last night, you could of cared less about her! You even shoved her into a wall! Now your big brother? Do you ever notice that you are the one to be in both fights?”



“Because you two are always on me about everything! Get off my back and stay out of my personal life!”



“Go to hell!”





For quiet some time those two argued and argued. Words, they sounded like my mom's and dad's. Yeah, I can remember some of it now. Before mom got sick my father and mother use to argue all the time. I can hear it, I can…



------------------



----Flashback-----



Mom had just started her nursing career and dad had been working it what Yuki works in today, Technology. Money became tight despite the two careers it was just very hard since not to many people were looking for nurses and mom had been at the bottom of the working career. Dad hadn't been able to find to many jobs and life in our house was cramming.



I must have been 4-years-old because Chii was 5-years-old and Yuki 6. I was sitting in the playroom at the time playing what we called “Stack the cups”. It was a great game; we'd stack the cups as high as we could, Yuki being the tallest would put the last one on top.



We each took a turn using some crazy move in order to knock down the cups, it may sound boring, but it was raining that day and the power was out.



One of the cups was knocked out into the hall and Chii asked if I could get it. I got up clumsily and walked out into the hall almost tripping over Yuki's right leg. The cup went really far into the hall so I walked over to it.



“Shut up!” I heard my dad yell, I looked up holding the light yellow cup close. I couldn't see them, but I certainly heard my parents. My mother and father, what were they fighting about this time?



“ Where were you last night, Haru?” my mother asked my father.



“I don't need to tell you!”



“Your children had waited all night for you to come home, where were you? You said you would be at the office and you weren't!”



“I just,” my dad tried to calm down, brushing his hair from what I could see “I went out for some drinks with Mokuba and Hiro.”



Silence again and then my mother gave such a forcing slap towards my father. “How dare you! How dare you go out and leave me with the children, you know were tight on money and,” my mother sobbed “ your using it on booze!”



My father slammed the chair down making me tighten my grip on the cup. It was to scare my mother, “I can't deal with this. Get off my back! Stay out of my personal life!”



I had just noticed how much nowadays Yuki sounded like dad and how Mom's crying sounded like Chii's.



---End of Flashback----



----------------------------







Still the yelling was heard between these two till I finally just couldn't take it anymore. In the back of my head I could hear my father push down the chair just like Yuki slams his fist.



Why was this all happening? Why were we getting so angry? Why? Yuki took us out to make me feel better, so maybe if I weren't so selfish, none of this would happen!



I stood between them and screamed. “Shut up!” Yuki and Chii became silent and onlookers now turned their attention towards us. Chii blinked feeling herself calm down, “Kiyara? What is it?”



Yuki who seemed to have the same question on his mind, “You okay?” I had forgotten I was completely silent throughout their argument and to have myself burst out must have meant that I wasn't okay.



But I wasn't, I wasn't okay. My stomach was turning and flopping up and down hearing their words. Of course, they use to fight this way too but I never felt like this before. I've never felt so sick in my life and so I clutched onto my stomach.



“Stop arguing, please.”



Chii grabbed my arm feeling utter ably concerned now, “Kiyara? Are you okay? Hey! Kiyara!” I wasn't responding, my head was turning my lips felt ice cold, as did my hands and fingertips.



She slipped her hand under my bangs and asked me, “Are you running a fever? Kiyara?” I fell to my knees feeling the world spin and I put my hands on the stone bridge in trying to bring myself back down to earth.



Yuki yelled I could hear him. “Chii stay with her, I'm going to get her some water to cool her off.” He ran off in what direction I don't know. Was it the spring heat that was getting to me? Was it the fact these two were arguing and I was just trying to create a scene?



No, it wasn't that I really did feel ill all the sudden, but what it is beyond my knowledge. Chii bent down to me and I could hear her breaths in comparison to mine hers sounded calm while mine sounded desperate.



My cheeks were slowly fading of color, my body of stiff and weak at the same time, my stomach felt clenching, and my mouth felt dry. I looked at Chii letting our eyes meet, our eyes looked exactly like our mom's its how we always found each other identified one another, our eye color.



I could hear my dad's voice again as he soothed my pain the way he use to when I use to be sick `its okay, its okay.' I felt my left elbow fall to the ground and Chii grabbed onto my arm and around my back to my other arm, “Kiyara, just hang on, Yuki's coming.”



Then I could hear my mom's voice singing a lullaby she use to sing to me when I was just a baby, how could I remember it? Chii use to sing it to me whenever I was little back in the orphanage, nowadays its barely heard. But now I could hear her, my mom.



Wait, its not my mom, It was Chii's voice. I felt sweat roll down my side cheek as I looked at her, she smiled trying to be encouraging now. She sang:





Rising, rising is the moon;
Large & round one
Plate-like full moon will rise soon.

Hiding, hiding is the moon,
behind the clouds, dark clouds, black clouds;
Plate-like full moon will hide soon.

Appearing, reappearing is the moon,
Large & round, large & round, round round one,
Plate-like full moon will rise soon.






Why my mother sang about the moon, I don't know. But I knew the song was made especially for me, Chii and Yuki told me so. The song made no sense to be what so ever, but it was the way she sang it that made it so great and somehow Chii could sing it just like mom.



Yuki came back bending down, helping me back up and giving me the water. Chii stopped singing it after awhile, but I could still hear it in my ears. Yuki was making sure I didn't fall like I did before I could tell.



When I was about halfway done with the water, my knees felt weak again. I looked in the water the sun was reflecting off of it. What was going on? I never usually felt this sick.



Yuki pushed the water back up to my mouth and demanded, “Keep drinking it.” I kept drinking, but the more and more I did the more and more I kept thinking about our life before this.



Why was everything bothering me lately? The way Yuki and Chii argued even though I knew it would get better, the way I was acting with my responsibilities, and the way I was handling anything wasn't normal. But maybe I'm just being stupid.



I finished up the water and threw the bottle to the ground; my eyes felt weak and my head extremely numb. I began to fall foreword as sleep consumed me and I heard Chii yelling to Yuki. Yuki caught me and I could feel their eyes on me.



Then again maybe its just another thing I don't understand.

------------------------------



I woke up to the sounds of crickets, bullfrogs, the sound of a T.V in the far distance and typing on a keyboard. When I opened up my eyes I came to the sight of more dark. Where was I?



I sat up rubbing my head and closed my eyes yawning one more time. When my vision became clear enough I saw that I was back in my room; in my bed. It was dark out and my alarm clock read `10:08'. My feet seemed to touch my bedroom floor with such force that it hurt.



Being careful of how I acted I walked out of my bedroom. The house was quiet and it was odd, but nice. I noticed I was now in new clothes, in black pajama short with a long sleeve light blue shirt and my hair down a little messy.



The carpet in the halls silenced my footsteps and I peeked into Chii's room only to find she wasn't there. I then walked over to Yuki's and the crack on his door was seen, he was working.



Patiently I tried to decide what to do, but my hand overpowered me and I knocked on the door. Yuki didn't even look back, “Come in.”



My hands slowly opened the door and quietly closed it and yet Yuki still didn't look back. I walked behind him and stood as I saw what he was working on.



On the screen there were a bunch of numbers, words, and big long letters that I didn't understand. Yuki didn't look back, “Heat Exhaustion.”



“Huh?” I said noticing I dazed off.



Yuki kept on typing not looking back. How did he know who I was? “You fell to heat exhaustion.”



“All the sudden?”



“Well you get delirious when you start to have heat exhaustion, did you feel delirious?”



I nodded seeing that he was in no mood to have a long conversation that he was busy. “Anyway its good to see your awake. They're some food in the oven for you, okay?”



My eyes narrowed down looking at Yuki. I felt bad for him he never got a break. He had to deal with school, with work, with us, and all he asked for was a girlfriend for someone to care about him as much as he cares about everything else and we got angry with that.



I didn't leave though, I kept looked down at my hands. “Um Yuki..”



He didn't stop typing and it was getting me a little angry that he wasn't, but I controlled my temper. “What?”



I put my hands on his hands for him to stop typing and he looked at me seeing it was serious. “Do you feel still sick?”



“No, no that's not it, it's just….” I looked down this oddly felt like the day we found out our dad was never coming for us, that day of the phone call. “I just, I like Sora a lot, she's nice and if you like her, I like her too.”



Strangely the tears kept touching the brim of my eyes. Chii and I were crying an awful lot lately. Yuki stared at me and went back to looking at his computer screen and then put his head down sighing. “Come on, get out of here I have to work.”



Not a word about Sora? What? However, I did what he said and began to walk out of his room, hitting his bedpost with my leg a bit. I opened the door and Yuki called out.



“Hey.”



My head turned up towards Yuki, looking at his back, his head fully on the screen that was backed up against his wall.



“Yeah Onii-chan?”



“What did I say about you crying?”



It didn't cross my mind, but as he said it I suddenly remember what he said the night before. `
Crying doesn't suit you Kiyara.' That's what he said and at that I could smile a little.



He was trying, he really was and if all he asked was for Sora I would do my very best to like her and try to convince Chii to like her too.




Speaking of Chii, I walked out of his room shutting the door after saying `Yeah.' I walked out into the kitchen that was attached to the living room. I walked over to the living room and looked at Chii.




She was wearing dark blue short pajamas a short sleeve gray shirt that had the Japanese word for Love on it. I walked over to her sitting down in the armchair, seeing she was watching some anime, neither of us said anything. I looked up and she didn't even look at me. “Um, thanks for helping me before.”




“Huh,” she looked at me and blinked she was clearly in a daze “Kiyara! Your awake!”



I laughed nervously nodding. She smiled pulling the pocky from her mouth. “I'm so glad. You had me worried. You suddenly passed out!” I blinked cocking my head and changing the subject.




“Where did you get the pocky?”




“Huh? Oh, Yuki got it for me after he brought you home. He ran to the store and got ice for your head and pocky for me, he said `think of it as an apology' after he checked on you he locked himself in his room and hasn't said one word.”




My eyes blinked with completely confusion. He was sorry? What for? I felt sorry for him the most. Then a big wad of ice was put on my head as Chii held me down laughing. “Cool you off.” She sang while laughing.




My eyes shut tight trying to pull her off, “Get off. Its cold!” She laughed more, “Well of course Ki-chan it's suppose to be cold. Its for your head.” She kept pressing it down making my forehead go numb, “But my head is all better.”




She then stuck a piece of pocky in my mouth making me shut up and got off me, throwing the ice cube into the sink and smiled, “That's what you wanted right? The pocky?” She winked.




Sometimes I don't get her, but then again I have my weird days as well. Yuki use to call us `trouble' or `crazy' all the time since when were both like this its utter chaos. Chii then started to draw with her knees close to her and humming.




Chewing on the pocky and watching the T.V her song trailed and I heard her. My eyes diverted back to her and I cocked my head again, “Chii, before when I was sick on the bridge did you start humming?”




“Sure did.” She said it so casually as if it meant nothing and continued drawing.




“Why?”




Chii looked at me letting her eyes study mine, why wouldn't she? She crept a smile. “Well that's what mommy use to sing to you right? When you were sick? I just though maybe it would help,” then she pretend to hit herself on the head “but I didn't, stupid me.”



I looked at her letting my eyes brighten up and then smiling, “No way, it helped a lot. Thanks. It's been a long time since I've heard that one.”




She smiled back and nodded just laughing a bit. “Remember? Remember when mom wanted us to take naps? She lock us in our rooms and we would be banging on the doors?”




I laughed more not understanding it and could just imagine it. I stood up remembering one thing. “Remember that one time when we were younger, Yuki had convinced us that if we swung high enough that we could flip over the swing bar?”




“Yeah, and then when we tried I fell and broke my arm. Mom was so angry at Yuki that she told him if he didn't stop telling us lies she'd put him on the swing and flip him over.”




I scratched my head trying to remember another one. Chii beat me to it first though she laughed,




“Remember when we were younger and Yuki and I thought we could climb the roof? But we didn't want to get in trouble so we sent you and you didn't even make it 5 steps and you fell, cracking your head open. Mom had to go to the hospital again and later on that night she made Yuki and I sit up there till after dinner.”




I had one still trying to hold in my laughter because I was practically dying of laughs.




“Remember that one time you and I wanted to get back at Yuki because he never came looking for us in hide and seek? So we pretended that you had gotten a fishing hook in your hand and I waited. When Yuki was running to the house to get mom I turned the hose on him.”




Chii too was trying to hold in her laugh as well, “I remember dad got so mad that he wanted to punish us now. So he broke his fishing hook and told us to stand in the street. When we stood in the street he sprayed the hose on us and we went to go move, but he wouldn't let us. Then he left us to stand in the street until dinner.”




“Yeah,” I started to quote dad “ `Chiyo and Kiyara! You ever do that again and I'll have your heads. Now apologize to your older brother!' And we did and we started to walk away and then he was like `Do not move until I tell you so!' Then he didn't come back till dinner!”




She smiled and pushed a lock of hair behind her ear and I smiled back and I think in all our laughter after going in old time sakes I could hear Yuki in the distance laughing too.




A
Swedish Proverb once said, "Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead." That's all we were trying to do, enjoy life. Somewhere in my head not only did I hear my siblings and my laughter, but also my mother's whose laughter seemed to trail off with the evening wind.

-----------------------------------------




Kiaragurl03- Um yep! ^-^ Wait for Chapter 4 ya'll! ^-^


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment