Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Blue Haired Angel

Tsukasa wakes up from her coma and realizes that she still has feelings for Subaru.

Chapter 1 - Blue Haired Angel

Chapter 1 - Blue Haired Angel
Looking for the truth from behind a faceted lens,Tsukasa lay back on her bed in her new caretaker’s house,known in The World as Bear. She breathed deep the cleanliness of the room,glanced at the pristinely folded clothes, the organized furniture. If sheopened the closet all would be in order from her rolled up socks to her skatessitting side by side. Ever since she had awoken from her coma, Tsukasa had kepteverything very neat; a contrast to the chaotic experience she had gone throughin The World. She did not, however, look badly upon her time in the world. Howelse would she have met Subaru?
She toyed with her auburn hair with one hand and fiddledwith the hem of her skirt with the other. She had not yet removed her school uniformalthough she would change before Bear got home sometime that night. She hadlearned in the two weeks that she had lived here that, although a loving“father”, he worked late most nights except Sundays.
She wanted to see Subaru today.
The thought popped out of nowhere, leaving behind a dreamyresidue. She would get up now and go see her. Her body did not obey. Get up,she told it. Her feet swung to the side of the bed and she sat up. She wouldexpend only enough energy as it took to change. She glanced at the foldedclothes unhappily. Or she could just go; Subaru would not mind the uniform.
A few moments later a flock of nosey sparrows would spythe girl walking slowly down the cracked sidewalk. It looked, thought Tsukasa,like a desert she had seen in a video. The cracks all formed strange, almostgeometric shapes and spewed green vegetation towards the dusty grey sky. Shekicked a rock and watched it skitter over the dreary surface, ducking under alow sign.
It would be her birthday in a month or so, she did notcare enough to count exactly. She would turn eighteen. Time seemed to hide fromher, she mused, always popping out at such inopportune moments. Subaru’sseventeenth birthday had been just after she had woken up from her coma.Unfortunately she had been in the hospital that day, unaware that Subaru evenlived in the same city. They had met the next day. Subaru claims it was thebest present she received but Tsukasa didn’t really believe her.
She noticed the sidewalk had gotten smoother, broken onlyby a few cracks now. She was getting closer; Subaru lived in the richer side ofthe city. 
She had become more and more attached, if that waspossible, to her Subaru over these past two weeks. She visited almost every dayand called her when she didn’t, even when she did. While she was a boy in TheWorld she had lost almost all memory of being a girl in the real world. She hadbeen attracted to Subaru… a lot. She was not sure that the attraction haddissipated. She must, for Subaru’s sake, not let any of these feelings show.She did not want to lose one of her only friends to a prejudice.
She had reached the house. It was very large for the city,two stories tall with a basement. It housed the lovely Subaru and her twoparents. They both worked even later than Bear did to provide for theircrippled daughter. Subaru was confined to a wheelchair due to an illness shehad had as a small child. She didn’t speak of it often so Tsukasa was unawareof the details. She let herself in so that Subaru would not have to get thedoor in case the nurse wasn’t still there. Tsukasa walked into Subaru’s room,knocking on the door on the way in. A smile blossomed on her face and shebeamed at the small girl. She had long dark blue hair, very cute thin wireglasses and the smooth and perfect face of an angel.
Tsukasa quietly, and hopefully unnoticed, admired Subaru’sbeauty. This was the girl whom she loved, would always love, and would neverhave. Tsukasa smiled wider in attempt to stead a tear. Subaru smiled backhappily.
“Why Tsukasa, I had not realized you would be coming over!A pleasant surprise” She beamed and turned to her very advanced computer toshut it off.
She wheeled over to the bed and joined Tsukasa on it,pushing herself up with her very strong arms.
“So what’s new today?” she asked with another heavenlysmile.
Tsukasa loved any excuse to talk to the wonderful girl andranted on about her day at school. She talked and talked with interjectionsfrom Subaru, she was always at ease when talking with her. Tsukasa was adifferent person around Subaru, more open, cheerful and kinder. To most others,a few exceptions included Bear and Mimiru, she was cold and distant, always offin her own world and allowing no one to enter it. She smiled as she explainedhow she had proven a teacher wrong that day and said mans’ reaction. Subaru’seyes glittered like amber polished to a sheen.
A pause in the conversation, unnoticed really except bythe mocking time, brought about a turn of events. Subaru had caught Tsukasalooking at her and blushed a little. She looked away,towards the door before collapsing back onto her bed, trying to think ofsomething to say to fill the peephole in the conversation.
“So, you wanna’ watch a movie or something” Tsukasa asked,noticing the uninvited and very rude guest: the entity of an awkward silence.Subaru nodded happily and got back in her chair. They both went to the otherside of Subaru’s very large room and sat on the extremely comfortable leatherlove seat across from Subaru’s television, a 52” plasma TV. Tsukasa wonderedhow one girl could be so lucky and unlucky at the same time…
They spent the next few hours watching a new series ofanime Subaru had gotten recently, it hadn’t come out on television yet butSubaru’s father worked for a company that dealt with anime products and hadreceived the pre-release edition from his office. It was ok, not bad but notespecially interesting either. That, however, may have been due to the factthat Tsukasa was preoccupied with the small girl sitting alongside her.
Subaru had leaned her head on Tsukasa’s shoulder halfwaythrough the series and Tsukasa was having trouble controlling her breathing andheart rate. The scent of her shampoo had a euphorically miasmic effect, causingher to feel a bit giddy. It was so hard to control things such as her racingheart that she almost wished Subaru would not lean against her, maybe then shecould wipe the red flush from her cheeks. Or maybe not…
After the series was over the last beams of the dyingsunset were struggling valiantly across the floor to kiss their feet. Thecurtains made flowery patterns in the pools of scattered gold and made thelight appear in blotches across the room, even on Subaru’s folded hands. Subaruleaned away from Tsukasa to turn off the DVD player and stop the theme musicthat had been playing for the sunlight. They sat there in silence until thelight had stretched farther and was now kissing their faces. Tsukasa glancedquickly at the blue haired beauty incarnate and watched her amber eyes glitter.It was as if God had hidden a thousand faceted gems under the long lashes, butthey were not for just anyone to find.
Who is it, Tsukasa wondered, who is the lucky one to whomyou will give permission to uncover your secrets? I wish it was me… She lookedaway again.
“Well, I suppose I had better go, Subaru.” She was lookingdown a bit so she would not catch the suspicions of her friend. “I suppose so, you don’t want to worry “Uncle” now do you?” Subaru andTsukasa smiled. Tsukasa had called Bear “Uncle” in The World and the nicknamehad carried over into the real world.
“Well” she said, “I shall see you tomorrow.” Subaru thendid something very unexpected, she leaned forward andkissed Tsukasa on the cheek gently.
The next thing Tsukasa could coherently remember waswalking over the threshold to her new residence, the crumbling cement lookedbleakly at the young woman, questioning the odd expression on her face. Tsukasawalked straight through a welcome from “Uncle”, mumbling a reply almost coherentlyat him and turning down dinner for that night. She walked straight to her room,a smile chasing the not-so expertly faked nonchalant expression she tried towear. The expression fit as well on her face as well as a camel would fitthrough the eye of a needle.
Bear had learned to leave her alone when she was in moodslike this so he respected her privacy and merely told her goodnight a half hourlater. Tsukasa sat staring around her room for hours. She did not actually seethe room because she was deep in thought. She was almost certain that Subaruwas at least a little attracted to her. But what would she do? What would shedo about it?
She thought and planned until almost midnight. Finally shedozed off with the light still on and awoke the next morning in her schooluniform. She straightened it out as best she could and proceeded to get readyand go to school.
~~~
School had gone by as quickly as a tree grows old anddies, branching off every so often in rivulets of daydreams. After school shedropped her things off at Bear’s apartment and changed into one of her moreattractive outfits, pristine and perfect, and she headed to the florists’. Shepicked out a dozen light blue roses sprinkled with little white flowers thatlooked like clumps of snow that had fallen on silvery green stems.
Once she reached Subaru’s house she must have stood at thedoorway for at least ten minutes, pondering what she was about to do. Finally(when she realized how silly she must look) she opened the door and called outSubaru’s name and prayed the nurse would not still be there (she usuallywasn’t).
“In here!” Subaru called from her room. Tsukasa gulped atthe nervous lump forming in her throat and entered the room. She was met bySubaru sitting on her bed. She was in a very attractive outfit consisting ofkhaki pants, a tight light blue shirt and a white button up shirt. She washolding a bouquet of dark red roses tied up in a dark red ribbon. When each ofthe girls saw what the other one was holding the smiled and laughed.
They exchanged gifts and Tsukasa sat on the bed. “So, Iwas thinking, Subaru…” She said softly, fingering the silken ribbon, “I was inlove with you in The World… when I thought I was boy, remember? And, I, well Idon’t think that I ever got over that. My mind and my heart speak in unison,telling me that I still love you. I can’t not do anythingabout it any longer.”
Subaru looked directly into Tsukasa’s eyes and leanedcloser, “Tsukasa, it never mattered to me that you were a girl. From the time Imet you to the moment you told me you were a girl, through your awakening andnow, I still love you. I won’t do nothing about it…anymore.” And then she kissed Tsukasa. Her lips pressed softly on the oldergirl’s; they felt like the velvet roses clutched and forgotten in both of theirhands. They wrapped their arms around each other and deepened the kiss.
When the late evening sunlight came to kiss the twofigures today it would find them leaning against one another still. Thetrickling light held them in rapture for a single timeless moment beforedisappearing and letting the moon have a glimpse. And so the moon watched thetwo hold one another silently until he also disappeared. It was long into thenight before Tsukasa even thought to leave. She kissed Subaru on the foreheadand promised to return as soon as school was out the next day. Walking homethat night Tsukasa was the happiest she had ever been in her living memory, sheslept well with dreams of her blue-haired angel.
The End
 
 
 
 
 
           

Comments

Comments (7)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Neko_King on November 12, 2005, 8:50:25 AM

Neko_King on
Neko_KingAwsome story!Will you write sequels?

BlueMoonEternity on August 23, 2005, 5:12:06 AM

BlueMoonEternity on
BlueMoonEternityWoh... this is soooooo beautifully written! I love it *clicks to fav.*

Morbid_Speculation on August 20, 2005, 8:31:10 AM

Morbid_Speculation on
Morbid_SpeculationOh, this was just so beautifully written... the emotions were so believable. ^_^ I always wondered how these two could've been pulled off in the real world. I loved the story! +fav

pinky521 on July 25, 2005, 8:57:22 AM

pinky521 on
pinky521It endid to quwikly write more plees

Kira_Yamato50 on June 29, 2005, 12:11:03 PM

Kira_Yamato50 on
Kira_Yamato50Wow! Great story.

Archangel4282 on May 9, 2005, 11:43:17 AM

Archangel4282 on
Archangel4282O-o... How is it possible for you to speak so beautifully so often on matters of the heart? I really do wish to know your secret... Bravo!

Kurama_Lover_Otaku_Bunny on May 9, 2005, 4:52:56 AM

Kurama_Lover_Otaku_Bunny on
Kurama_Lover_Otaku_BunnyI always wondered what would become of those two. Good story!