Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Chapter 4

A collaborative fic by me and my friend. I hope you enjoy it!

Chapter 4 - Chapter 4

Chapter 4 - Chapter 4
Camp that night was quiet. The crew unanimously decided to spend to the night on the island, and would leave at first light. Garou scowled at this notion, obviously wanting to leave right away, but he said nothing. Something was obviously on his mind. He sat by a dying fire with Mina by his side, as ever.
“You know,” observed Mia. “I don’t think that Garou is such a bad guy. I think we should all give him a chance.”
“He blew his chance with us the moment we met,” replied Konno. “Some people are such like that.”
“Where does this Garou hail from?” asked Allendar.
“I’m not sure,” answered Konno. “I recall the Chancellor mentioning Kyosha.”
“I thought the Land of Monsters was only legend,” said Mia. “A story to scare little children.”
“It is no myth,” said Allendar. “Although no outsider has ever set foot on that isle. The natives are extreme xenophobes, and their hatred to humans is unmatched, which is why I find the pairing of Mina and Garou quite odd.”
Mia stood up. “I believe I shall go make friends.” Mia walked over to where Garou and Mina were sitting. Both were silent. Mia thought they would be speaking with each other. “Hey guys!” she said cheerfully.
“What dost thou want, fool?” said Garou curtly.
“Hey, I was only trying to be friendly.”
“Get thee hence,” came the calm reply.
“Fine. Just be that way,” said Mia angrily as she turned to walk away.
“Filthy Human.”
Mia twitched, while Allendar jumped to his feet, growling, and turned around. “If you haven’t noticed, you happen to be sitting next to one of us filthy humans!” When Garou made no response she turned away and muttered. “Hypocrite.”
“Slut,” muttered Garou.
Mia gasped and turned again, “What did you just call me?”
Allendar snarled and ran to Mia’s side. Konno approached the two men and stood between them. “Garou,” began Konno. “If you are going to be a part of our team you will have to be a little more tactful. The Supreme Chancellor said-”
“I care not a whit for Evander’s whimsical ideas,” snapped Garou. “And might I call attention to just how unnecessary thou art to my purpose? Alone I could have silently been in and out without the bloody battle. Then I would have waited here until I meeting my contacts. They should be here soon. Once they arrive I shall have no more use for the lot of thee.”
Allendar could take no more. “You should really learn to be a little less like a complete bastard, wolf,” he said sternly.
“Allendar, hush!” Konno whispered sternly.
“Oh, I am sorry. Did I injure thy pride, Elf? What shalt thou do about it? Fight me?”
“I would not waste my skills on one such as you,” replied the Elf.
“Wise move. ‘Twould truly be a shame to see one such as thee die.”
Allendar scowled and walked away. Konno sighed and followed him. Both froze as a chill wind picked up, blowing out all the fires. Everyone immediately became alert, looking about to check if anything was afoot. Garou stood, his eyes narrowed. Mina stood and walked over toward him. “What is it?” she whispered.
Konno wondered as well, “Yes, what is it Garou?”
Garou only shook his head and looked up, his eyes wide. “It cannot be…they!” “They who?” pressed Allendar.
Just then two strange voices echoed in the night sky.
“Black of black and night of night,” said one, dark and wise.
“The shadows creep beyond your sight,” said the second, soft and light, but chilling.
“You do not know what lurks ahead.”
“At this time when you lay down your head.”
“And soon the time of doom shall come.”
“When you face demise you dogs!”
The first voice spoke again, but in a hushed tone, and lacking in its mysterious quality. “You idiot. That didn’t rhyme.”
Allendar and Konno shot each other incredulous looks, and the rest of the crew gave mixed quizzical and suspicious expressions, although Garou still looked terrified as Mina held him, worry across her face.
“But it was cool.”
“It made no sense!”
“It did too. You all talking about doom of night and such and such.”
“You said ‘you dogs’! That lacks a certain mood to it.”
“Let’s just do our entrance.”
“Fine.”
In a moment the fires burst alight again, but this time in flames of many dazzling colors. Sparks and lights flashed all about them. There was a puff of smoke that faded to reveal two silhouettes.
“Introducing,” said the voice that had spoken first, this time with no enhancement.
“The amazing and incredible,” continued the second, substantially less chilling.
“Redek Fhurae!” A man in luxurious crimson clothing and a rust overcoat leapt forth into a spotlight. He then said, “And the fantastic and spectacular…”
“Ozrik Dasherion!” Another man, clad all in black, with short silver hair and round red spectacles slid into another spotlight.” The lights all went out and the fires relit as they were before.
“The Harbingers,” said Garou hoarsely. “Flotsam and Jetsam.”
The one called Ozrik turned, “Ah, someone who has seen our famous circus act.”
Konno furrowed her brow. She had heard much of the pair of performers, and had even watched a little bit of one in passing at a festival long ago. But they were only street magicians…or were they?
Mia shook her head, “What a pair of clowns.”
Garou’s eyes widened even more. “Silence, child. These two have power beyond thine imagination.”
Redek smiled, “Do not reprimand the girl. She is right. We are clowns.” He laughed, “But aren’t clowns being to be feared?”
“You’re right there, Redek,” said Ozrik. “We are to be feared, but not too much.”
“Yes, Ozzie. Otherwise people might think us very mean and tyrannical.”
Allendar stared in wide-eyed wonder at the pair of men. “They’re completely insane...Why are you here?”
“Who are you to question me, Elf? I, Khan of all Kyosha!”
Mina was confused. “I thought Janus was Khan,” she asked Garou.
“He is,” he answered.
“What? What? What?” exclaimed Ozzie. “That usurper! First he steals my look, then he steals my style, and now my khanate?” He ran to his companion’s side. “Aid me, Redek. I am having a tragic moment.”
“I must apologize for my friend,” said Redek. “He is not overly sane.”
“It’s true,” agreed Ozzie.
“I think you’re both mad,” said Allendar. “What manner of creature are you? You appear human.”
“Heavens no,” cried Ozzie. “We are truly magnificent creatures.”
“We are efreeti,” said Redek. “The most powerful order of genies next of course to the great Marid.”
“But there is but one great Marid,” added Ozzie.
“Indeed,” said Redek.
“Genies...” said Mia. “Like wish-granting genies?”
The two looked at each other and laughed. Redek answered her question, “We don’t do that anymore. We are freed genies you see. And only enslaved genies have the power to grant wishes.”
“Although we could be enslaved again if someone discovered and activated my flask and his lamp,” said Ozzie.
“And where do you keep those?” asked Mina, slyly.
“Wouldn’t you like to know,” murmured Redek. Louder, he said, “But down to business. We came searching for one Masamune Garou. Is the White Wolf about?”
Gathering up his courage, Garou stepped forth. “What wouldst thou have of me?”
“We are seekers, come searching for that which is hidden,” said Ozzie.
Garou grinned, “Ah, so you are my contacts. Excellent. We can leave this accursed place.” Casting a glance towards Konno and the others he continued, “And this accursed company.”
“You killed Kalven. He will be missed,” said Redek. “Did you take the necessary precautions?”
“Aye,” answered Garou. “There will be no added trouble. Shall we be off?”
“Yes, but of course,” said Redek. “You have the location of our destination?”
“Yes, I’ll tell you as soon as we are,” he glanced at the others again. “Alone.” Garou turned and began to walk away. He turned to Konno and said, “Fare thee well, Tainted One. May we not meet again.” The two genies followed him, as did Mina after giving a smile and quick wave.
It was quiet for a long moment after they left. Allendar broke the silence, “So what now, Captain?”
“We go back, of course,” she answered. “The Chancellor might have something more for us to do.”
Konno walked over to the fire and sat down. Allendar lingered and looked over at the place where Garou and his companions had melted into the shadows. He shook his head and joined the others.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment