Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Teenage Years

my theory of charlie's life...

Chapter 2 - Teenage Years

Chapter 2 - Teenage Years
PART II: ”Age” Years
CHARACTERS
Charlie Barkin
Tom Barkin
Sasha La Fleur
Jolie Fannoila
Christy Fannoila
Sam Fannoila
Ben Fannoila
Itchy Dachshund
Flo Collieon
Principal Johnson
Bess Falls
Carface Caruthers
Killer Rellik
Eric King

CHAPTER I
When Charlie was around 2 years old (14 in dog years), he began to attend high school. Since he had had no one to tell him what to do, he had been completely free; he found it hard to adjust to the school life.
Charlie spent a lot of time with the principle. This is one of those times. “So, Charlie, we meet again. What did you do this time?” “Don’t know, don’t care.” “Well, I guess why you did it is more important than what you did. So, why did you do it?” “Why should I tell ya?” Charlie said. “Charlie, you know the answer to this by now. Charlie, where do you live?” “Somewhere.” “Yes, I know that, Charlie.” “Well, I live in a car, in the junkyard.” Charlie said reluctantly, not bothering to make eye contact with the principle. “Well, Charlie, according to my sources, you have no parental guidance, and you live alone. Is that correct?” “Maybe.” The principle knew this was Charlie’s way of saying yes. He had come to a decision. “Charlie, I think it would be nice if you got to live with a family. Some discipline couldn’t hurt, now could it?” “Get to the point.”
“Well, Charlie, there is a student exchange program going on between here and a San Franciscan school. Would you be interested in that? Otherwise, you could live with a family around here. It would last for the rest of this year and next year and you would come back here for the last 2 years of high school.” “Um, sure, I guess.” The principle was pleased and went to create a file for Charlie, which Charlie could fill out himself. Principle would then send it to the families that had volunteered to take in a student. Charlie filled out the form quickly and then left to find Flo and Itchy. He found them and fortunately for Charlie, no one asked what had happened in the principle’s office.
“So, Charlie, you wanna come to my place later?” Flo asked Charlie during lunch. “Well, sure. How’re the puppies doin?” “They’re fine, but they miss you.” “All the more reason to come.” Charlie said to Flo. They leaned towards each other to kiss, but were stopped by a paw. This paw was owned by the principle. “You know the rules. I’ve told you two plenty of times, Ms. Collieon and Mr. Barkin. I’m watching you.” The principle only called them by first names in private. Itchy laughed a little. And when the principle was gone, Charlie and Flo laughed also.
They continued on with the day happily. Charlie never mentioned the exchange program. During the last period of the day, English, the intercom came on. “Mrs. Johnson, may I please see Charlie?” They all knew which Charlie because this happened so often that there was no need to use his last name anymore. “Yes. He’ll be right there in a second.” “Thank you.” Charlie left, and everyone started wondering What did he do this time? This time, Charlie had done nothing. He entered the office and the principle greeted him. They sat down in the principle’s office, which was cut off from the rest of the main office.
“Charlie, we found you a family.” “That was fast.” “Yes, well, they heard your story and wanted to help. They have three children, two boys and one girl. All the children are about your age.” This made Charlie remember his home with Tom, Hart and Falia. Although there were other puppies in the litter, they were the ones he talked to the most. “Charlie?” “Huh?” “Good, you’re okay. You had drifted off for a second. So, you’re okay with the family?” “Yeah, I guess.” The principle smiled and sent him back to class. After school, Charlie went to Flo’s and hung out with Flo and the puppies for a while. He went home and prepared for his trip. He would leave for San Francisco tomorrow.
The next day, Charlie got on the plane and he was off. After a two-hour flight, he arrived. When he saw the family he would be staying with, he was a little sad. The children reminded him of Tom, Hart and Falia. The parents didn’t look like his parents thankfully or he would’ve avoided them. He walked over to them and they greeted him happily. On the way to the house the children chatted with him. Charlie found them to be very talkative and fun. “So, who are ya?” Charlie asked them. “Christy!” “Sam!” “Ben.” They were really friendly and the way they said it seemed rehearsed. They arrived at a cute little home. “You live here?” “Yep!” Sam said. “Yep, yep!” Ben said. “Yep, yep, yep!” Christy said. “That was a little weird…” Charlie said to them. “We get that a lot.” Christy said and the three siblings burst into laughter. Christy showed Charlie to his room and Ben and Sam entered. The four began to talk. “You certainly have a family vibe goin.” Charlie said to them. “Yep!” they said in unison. “So, enough about our family. What about yours?” Christy asked. “I’m not sure.” “Did they die?” “No. I ran away.” “And?” “What?” “What was it like? If you can remember.” “Well, I was born a little fat. And my two brothers always made fun of my sister, Falia. I would always start a fight and I’d get in trouble.” So it went, Charlie told the story of his whole life. He stopped just after he finished telling his talk with Falia.
When he was finished, the trio said, in unison, “Wow.” Then Christy spoke up. “Our life’s no where near that interesting. We were born and we went to school, and that’s about it. Having you stay here is probably the most exciting thing that happened to us.” She stopped to think for a moment. “Yep. So, do you have a girlfriend or do you not want one?” Christy asked him, blushing slightly. “Yeah, I got one.” “Oh. What’s she like?” “Well, she’s a little crazy. She chases me everywhere. She runs a puppy orphanage; the puppies are pretty fun. We love each other, pretty much though. You?” “Well. No. We’re kinda considered weird at our school, so we kinda have no one to talk to but each other. So, what are you?” Christy said, the only one who was really talking to Charlie. “Huh?” “Your breed.” “I’m a German shepherd, Collie, Great Dane mix…or something like that...” “Oh. We’re Labradors, I think.” Christy said, then all four of them laughed a little, then heard their mom calling.
“Dinner!” They all came down, except for Charlie. He wasn’t used to eating meals. Down in the kitchen, Mrs. Fannoila, the mother, asked the three “Where’s Charlie?” “I think he’s in his room.” “Oh. Well, I hope he’s okay.” “He’ll be fine.” Ben said. The family sat down for dinner and had a wonderful time. Later, when Mrs. Fannoila had tucked her three children into bed, she went into Charlie’s room to talk. “How are you settling in?” “Fine.” “Do you miss your family yet?” “Um, not really.” “Oh, yeah. That’s right, you ran away. How have you been doing on your own?” “Pretty good.” “So, you’re not uncomfortable living with a family for a while?” “It’ll take a little adjusting, but yeah. I’ll be okay.” “So, why did you miss dinner?” “I’m not used to eatin’ meals or with anyone.” “Oh. Well, please adjust. The kitchen’s closed before and after meals and I don’t know about you, but I’d like you to eat while you’re here. Good night, Charlie.” She walked out, and closed the door.
The next day, was school. Charlie wasn’t the only one who had come from his school, or a lot of schools. There was a line for enrollment for the exchange students. Charlie waited, and waited, and waited. And waited. When he got there, he filled out his form quickly and went to his classes. He found that, unlike his school, the teachers were very boring and not at all friendly, except for one. Lunch was a relief. When he got there, he sat down with Christy, Ben and Sam, who he had become pretty good friends with and they had all of their classes together, which made starting school at this one was easier than it would have been if he didn’t know anyone.
He was scanning the cafeteria when he saw a group of girls. One was unbelievably pretty. She was an Irish Setter, and was very thin. She seemed as if she and her friend, a beautiful cocker spaniel, were street dogs. His thoughts were interrupted by Christy. “That’s Sasha and Bess. The Irish Setter’s Sasha and the spaniel’s Bess. They’re pretty popular, so don’t expect them to talk to you any time soon.” Christy sounded jealous. She was obviously falling for Charlie, who had no idea she liked him liked him. She went back to eating after saying that. She was irritated by the fact that Charlie was falling for the spoiled popular girl.
However, the story is quite different from what Christy thought. Yes, they were popular; however, they were having a conversation of their own. “Who’s that?” Sasha asked Bess as she looked at Charlie, who had stopped looking at her after what Christy had said. “I think he’s an exchange student.” One girl said. “From where?” Sasha asked. “New Orleans, I think.” Bess said. “He’s hanging with those three weirdoes.” Another girl said. “So?” “So, what if he’s like them?” “What if he’s not? I mean look at him.” Sasha said, not bothering to take her eyes off of Charlie. “Yeah, he’s good looking, but he can still be weird.” “Yeah, we’d better stay clear until we know that he’s safe.” Another girl said. Bess looked at Sasha to see if she was listening to any of this. She wasn’t.
After school, Charlie, Ben, Sam and Christy walked home together. “I saw you looking at Sasha.” Ben teased. “Well, only a little bit.” Charlie argued. “Nuh-uh. You like her. Come on, admit it.” Sam taunted. “Maybe a little.” Charlie blushed slightly. “I say she’s nothing but trouble. She’s all looks. Nothing else.” Christy said, not bothering to look at any of them. “Somebody’s jealous.” Ben said. “Definitely.” Sam said. “I am not!” Christy said. Charlie decided to let them have a little time alone, so he went ahead. When he was out of sight, Ben was the first to speak. “You like Charlie, don’t you?” he asked. “Not really.” “Come on. You’re in love.” Sam accused Christy. “Am not!” “Are to!” “Not!” “Are!” “Not!” “Are!” “Ben, what do you think?” “Christy, you should know how you feel about someone. I personally think you’re totally falling for him.” Ben said before scurrying in front. Christy and Sam shrugged. “Am not!” “Are to!” “Not!” “Are!”
They continued this until they got home. Sam went upstairs to talk to Ben. Christy went to talk to her mom. “Mom, if you like a guy, what would you do?” Mrs. Fannoila stopped what she was doing to talk with her daughter. “Well, I’d tell him that I like him.” “What if he’s interested in another girl?” “Then lay off for a while. See if it’s temporary. He might eventually loose interest.” “If he doesn’t?” “Forget him. Who’s the guy?” “Well…” “Go on.” “It’s…Charlie.” “Christy! You’ve known him for less than two days! Either you’ll just stop or you’ll begin to like him even more. Who’s the girl he’s interested in?” “Sasha La Fleur. I saw him looking at her. After he stopped, I saw her looking at him.” Christy said sorrowfully. “Oh. Well, that’s usually a pretty good sign that they’re going to be in love for a while. I’m not sure what to do. You can’t really forget him. Just hope he lies off. If they don’t, don’t worry. He’s only going to be here 1 and half years. You’ll have the whole last 2 years of high school to get over it.” “You think?” “I know.” Mrs. Fannoila said before hugging her daughter. “Now go get started on your homework.” Christy went upstairs and Jolie (Mrs. Fannoila) went upstairs to talk to Charlie.
“Hey Charlie.” Jolie said when she entered Charlie’s room. “Hey.” Was the only reply she got. “Not much of a conversationalist?” “Not really.” “Charlie, do you have a girlfriend in New Orleans?” “Yeah.” “Oh. I heard about what happened with Sasha.” “Why is that such a big deal to everyone?” “Well, Charlie, you’ve been at that school for one day and already you’ve begun to stir things up quite a bit.” “I still don’t get it.” Charlie had not made eye contact with a single soul since he had arrived in San Francisco and he didn’t plan to. “Are you enjoying yourself?” “Pretty much.” “What’s wrong?” “Well, other than the fact that I’m in a completely different state, your family kinda reminds me of my family.” “Really? How?” “Well, Christy is kinda like my sister, Falia. And Ben and Sam are kinda like my brothers Tom and Hart. They’re nothing like each other in looks or personality, but they still remind me of each other.” “You miss your family, don’t you?” “Yeah, but if I went back it would be too different than when I left.” “How is that?” “Well, before I started high school, I stopped to talk with Falia and she told me that dad had died and mom had another litter. Then I heard that everyone of my brothers and sisters from both litters were adopted except for one dog.” “Oh, yeah. I can see how that might change things.” “Duh.” Charlie said, only to be immediately sorry that he did. He looked completely away and said a soft “Sorry.” Jolie understood. He was still adjusting. He could do so at his own pace. She left him in his room so he could have some more time alone.

CHAPTER II
The next day at school, the story from yesterday hadn’t been forgotten yet. It had spread, become a rumor. Some things were changed, making it untrue and a bit embarrassing for the people involved. The rumor basically said that Christy had attempted to kiss Charlie and Charlie gladly accepted it, which got Sasha staring at them. This was especially embarrassing for Christy. She was not at all happy. Whoever started that rumor had better watch out. She thought as she walked to class. She then saw Sasha, gave her a mean look, then headed off.
“What’s her problem?” Sasha asked Bess as they stood at Sasha’s open locker. “It’s probably the rumor.” “Oh yeah. Do you think its true?” “The only way to find out is to ask Charlie or Christy.” Bess said, hoping this rumor would die off soon before a teacher heard, because if it was true, Christy and Charlie both could get in a lot of trouble. You however, know that the rumor is not true. So now you might be thinking, who started this and why? Well, the one that had started this was none other than Tom Barkin.
Now you might be thinking, how did he end up here and why doesn’t everyone notice their last names are the same? Well, I’ll tell you why. Anne Marie’s future family, the little girl that Charlie would soon meet, had adopted Tom. Yes, Harold and Kate had adopted Tom long before they knew Anne Marie. So, they lived in San Francisco before they lived in New Orleans. Tom attended the same school as Christy, Sam and Ben. His last name had been changed to Hew, after Kate and Harold’s last name. Tom had heard about Charlie’s arrival and he knew right away that it was his brother. He wanted revenge somehow on all the times Charlie had fought with him and when Charlie had run away, he had forced Loni and Burt into a desperate state of despair. He believed that the sorrow of loosing Charlie had killed his father, yet Charlie could live on without feeling guilty.
So, in short, Tom started the rumor. No one knew that, yet. Anyway, back to the story. When Charlie walked by Sasha, Sasha would’ve fainted if Bess hadn’t stopped her. “You’ve got it bad.” Bess said, looking at Sasha. “You should talk to him before you drive yourself crazy over him.” Bess said, obviously worried about her friend. “You’re right, but I can’t do it. I’d melt to nothing just walking up to him. Do you think he likes me?” Sasha said, getting more and more energetic as she spoke. “Calm…down.” Bess said to Sasha. Very…slowly. “Take a deep breath. In and out. Good. Good. Now, go talk to him.” Bess pushed Sasha into Charlie. “Sorry.” Sasha said in a weak voice. “S’ok.” Charlie said. The whole school turned and watched them. When Charlie smiled and Sasha smiled back, the whole school gasped. When the two separated, everyone returned to their normal beeswax.
After that, the rest of the school day was pretty normal. However when Christy, Ben, Sam and Charlie arrived home, Jolie called “Charlie, you have a phone call!” Charlie went to get it, and put it on speaker because Christy begged to listen. Ben and Sam listened too. “Hello?” a voice came from the phone. It was soft and sweet. Charlie recognized this voice as Flo’s and said “Hello Flo.” Flo giggled and asked, “How are you?” “Fine.” Another giggle. Then, the unmistakable voice of Itchy came through. “Hey Charlie!” he said. “Hey Itch! How’s it goin’?” “Fine. We’re lonely are really bored though.” Itchy said. “Oh, the pups wanna say hi.” Flo added. “Hi Uncle Charlie!” the enthusiastic puppies said happily. Charlie laughed a little then asked “Itch, what’re you doin’ at Flo’s?” “I was kinda lonely at the shack, so I went to Flo’s for some company. You know, these puppies are a lot of work.” Itchy said as Charlie heard the puppies’ excited barks. Christy couldn’t help giggling a little. “Who’s that? Not another girlfriend I hope.” Flo said when she heard Christy. “No, of coarse not Flo, that’s Christy. She’s one of the ones I’m livin’ with.” “Oh…” Flo said before saying a welcoming “Hi Christy!” “Hi Flo!” Christy said cheerfully.
“Hey!” Ben and Sam said to Flo and Itchy. Itchy, who had been busy with the puppies, asked, “Who’s that?” “Itchy! That’s Christy and some other dogs. Haven’t you been listening at all?” Flo scolded Itchy. “Sorry. I’ve been kinda busy with these dozen puppies.” Christy, Ben, Sam, and Charlie all laughed as she listened to Flo and Itchy talk. “Who are the others?” Flo whispered through the phone. “Itchy can still hear you Flo.” “Oops…” Flo said after Charlie told her this. “Anyway, this is Ben and…” Charlie stopped, realizing that Flo wasn’t listening. “You don’t know their names and yet you’re scolding me?” Itchy was scolding Flo. “Is that MY fault?” Flo asked Itchy. “Yes. You can control you’re scolding better than that! Tsk, tsk!” Itchy said before saying an angry “Humph!” Everyone on the other end was laughing even harder now. “What?” Flo asked, hearing the laughter. This caused more laughter. Charlie was the first to stop. “Nothing. Anyway, the other two are…” He was interrupted by Itchy. “So Flo, who are the others? HM?” Itchy asked. “Charlie was just about to tell me.” “This is…” He was interrupted this time by a shriek from Itchy. “EEP!” Itchy shrieked as he was attacked by 12 colorful puppies. Christy, Ben and Sam were laughing even harder than before. “Ben and Sam.” Charlie said at long last.
Jolie, hearing the laughter, wen to investigate. “What is so funny?” she asked when she had found the source of the laughter. “Is that a girlfriend?” Flo asked irritably before realizing that Christy, Ben and Sam were laughing. “Why is everyone laughing?” Flo yelled through the phone. This caused more laughing. “Have you been listening at all?” Itchy asked before shrieking as the puppies attacked again. “Now you’re scolding ME?” Flo asked as the Fannoilas and Charlie continued to hear shrieks from Itchy as Flo continued her lecture. Jolie was now also laughing. Flo, realizing that they were still laughing, repeated her question from before. “WHY IS EVERYONE LAUGHING?” She asked as the laughter continued. “Now, Charlie, tell me, who is the other girl? I demand to know!” “She’s my host mom.” “Why didn’t you just say so? Itchy stop playing and take care of those puppies!” Flo scolded. Itchy continued to be part of attack of the rainbow puppies. “I can’t!” “You can always stop playing! Have some self control!” Flo scolded.
Everyone was still laughing when Jolie said that they had had enough time on the phone and she had to pay the bills. They reluctantly turned off the phone then they continued to talk. “Your friends are interesting and a lot of fun.” Christy said, still giggling a bit. “Yeah. I wish we could talk to them more.” Ben said. They had homework to do, so they separated to do so. Over the next few weeks, they talked to Flo and Itchy quite a bit and Charlie and Sasha looked at each other more and more. Eventually, they began talking too.
One day at school, they started up a conversation. “Hey Charlie.” Sasha started the conversation. “Hey.” Charlie said back. “So, how’ve you been doing? You know, settling in and everything.” “Pretty good. Hey, I was wondering, would you…” Charlie paused for a second. “Would you like to go to the park this afternoon? If you don’t want to, I understand…” Charlie babbled for a bit and only stopped when Sasha whispered “Hay is for horses.” Then louder, she said “And yes, I’d love to! See ya!” She said before running off to tell Bess.
“HE WHAT?” Bess yelled when she heard the story. “Not so loud. I don’t want the whole school talking again.” Sasha said, trying to prevent another craze. “Right. But still, you are so lucky!” “I know! It’s so great!” Sasha said excitedly. Christy had heard from Charlie and decided to spy on this little date. She really liked Charlie too.
Later, in the park, as Charlie and Sasha talked, Christy spied from her hiding place from behind a bush. The duo did a lot in the park together. As sunset arrived, they sang together. At the end of their song, they kissed. Christy was really mad when she saw this. She was also surprised. She had no idea Charlie could sing. She headed home so Charlie wouldn’t have any clue that she had seen his and Sasha’s date. When Charlie arrived, it was around 9. Jolie, knowing that Charlie had probably made some friends and had been out with them, didn’t scold Charlie, but decided to talk with him later when she made her nightly rounds.
When everyone was in bed, Jolie made her nightly visits. Charlie’s room was last. When she entered, she went over to Charlie and asked, “Where were you tonight?” “Out with someone.” “Who? Anyone special?” “Kinda.” “Who’s the girl?” “Sasha.” Charlie said quietly, slightly embarrassed. “Oh. C..well, someone tells me she’s trouble. That she’s really snobby, or whatever you’d say…” Jolie said, her voice getting quieter as she spoke. She now spoke at a regular voice. “So, how’d the date go, if that’s what it was.” “Great actually.” Charlie said, staring out the window. “Charlie, sorry for sounding un-momish, but, do you ever miss your family?” Charlie’s reply didn’t come right away, but was this: “Well, sometimes I miss my sister. But that’s it.” “So, no worries about your mother or father?” “Well, my father died and I’m not sure about my mother. She’s alive or somethin’ like that.” Jolie laughed a little and then said “Sorry. I didn’t know.” “That’s okay. I don’t miss ‘em much anyway.” Jolie looked at Charlie, who was still staring out the window, said a soft good night, then left. He misses them, I just know it. No one can hate their parents that much, can they? She thought as she walked down to her room to sleep.
The next day at school, Christy put her plan into action. What plan, you ask? Her plan to ruin Charlie and Sasha’s relationship, of coarse! Anyway, first was telling anyone in school that was guaranteed to not be able to keep secrets. She told them about Charlie and Sasha’s date and told them it was a secret. The whole school was soon talking about the date. Next was Sasha. She would tell her about Charlie and Flo. Then, she would tell Flo about Sasha. Then she decided to leave Flo out of this, for now. She told Sasha, who was furious and went to talk to Charlie RIGHT AWAY.
When Sasha found Charlie, she WAS NOT happy. She took him to a private spot (she didn’t want the school talking more than they already were) and told him this: “Charlie, why didn’t you tell me about this Flo? Why, Charlie? WHY?” She asked, sounding a bit hysterical as she fell against Charlie, beginning a slight cry. “Sasha, it’s okay. She’s just a girl. You’re my girl and nothin’s gonna change that.” Charlie said sympathetically. Sasha didn’t give in though. “Charlie, I thought you loved me.” “I…” he didn’t get to finish. Sasha ran away before he could finish. Bess saw Sasha’s tears and followed her into bathroom. She found Sasha in front of the mirror, crying. “Sasha, it was only one date.” “Oh, hi Bess.” “Sasha, don’t take it too hard. I’ll talk to him.” “No, Bess. I’m finished with him. I…I just want to be alone right now.” Bess didn’t say anything and walked out. Even though Sasha had said not to, she was going to find out what happened with Charlie.
When Sasha had gone to talk to Charlie, Christy had heard. She also saw Sasha run into the bathroom. And, well, she felt absolutely awful. What have I done? She asked herself as she walked home. As long as no one finds out it was me who did all this, everything should be fine. She argued with herself as she entered her home. “Christy, come here.” Jolie called from the kitchen. Her voice sounded urgent. Christy was nervous and wondered if her mother had found out about her “little” plan. When she got there she was relieved to see it was only a taste test. “Come here and try my new recipe.” Jolie said as Christy entered the kitchen. “Why do you look so tense?” “Nothing. Nothing. I’ll be fine.” Christy replied as she tried her mother’s new recipe. As usual, it wasn’t that great. “So?” “It’s…fine.” Christy stammered as she hurried for some water.
“Mom, I have a really big problem and I NEED help. FAST.” Christy said just as Charlie, Sam, and Ben walked through the door. They had stopped at a popular hang out to help cheer Charlie up. “Don’t worry about the boys. Go on.” Jolie said to Christy, who looked even more nervous. “Um, I have homework to do. So, yeah…I should be going.” Christy said before running up the stairs as fast as she could. Jolie just shook her head and returned to her business. That night, she stopped to talk to Christy.
“Christy, what were you going to tell me this afternoon?” Jolie asked as she entered Christy’s room. “Nothing, it was nothing.” “I think it is.” Jolie said as she sat down on Christy’s bed. Christy knew that her mother wouldn’t leave until she had the full story. She started slowly, but then she talked faster and faster as she went. “Well, you know how I like Charlie and all? Well, I let my jealousy get the best of me and told some people about Charlie and Sasha’s date. It spread across the school all in less than an hour. Then, I told Sasha about Flo and Charlie. She didn’t take it too well. She and Charlie had a big break-up in private place and Sasha was really sad about it. She was crying and everything. I’m not sure about Charlie, but Sam and Ben took him to this place to cheer him up, so I know he was at least somewhat depressed. So, what do I do? I have no idea, but I still really like Charlie, but after this, it seems like Sasha likes him a lot more. But I think Flo is the one who likes him the most.” Jolie had to think for a minute. Then she said “Well, it wasn’t right for Charlie to try to have both Sasha and Flo for girlfriends at the same time. Believe me, one day he’ll pay for that. But as for now, I suggest you try to let this thing die down. However, also let Sasha know why you told her about Flo and tell her that Charlie still likes her and all that.” “Yeah, that’s going to be kinda hard, but I’ll try.” Christy said before settling in for the night. “Oh, I suggest you leave Flo out of this whole thing for now.” Jolie said as she exited Christy’s room. She now went to talk to Charlie.
When she entered, Charlie was staring out the window, as usual. “Charlie, are you okay?” He didn’t answer. “Um, I heard about Sasha. Must be painful to be you?” “Pretty much. My life stinks.” “Well, I guess you could say that. I’d say your first mistake was running away.” She was interrupted by Charlie. “No, it was not running away sooner. And coming here.” Though this hurt Jolie a little, she understood. “Well, I can offer you some advice. Next time, don’t try to make another girlfriend.” When Charlie didn’t say anything more, she said a quick good night, then left.
Though Charlie was irritated that Jolie was telling him what to do, he knew she was right. But he didn’t care. He couldn’t do anything about his life now, could he? His answer was no. The next day at school, Tom walked up to Charlie and said, “What’re you doing here?” “Whaddya mean? Who’re ya?” Charlie replied. “You don’t know who I am? You’ve been away from home longer than I thought.” Tom said the last part just to himself. “How’d ya know where I came from?” Charlie asked Tom. “Charlie, its me, Tom.” Charlie looked at him for a second, growled and then went off. He looks so different, but hasn’t changed much on the inside. Tom thought as he watched Charlie go. That night, Tom called his mother to tell her the news.
“Hello?” Loni voice came through the phone. “Hey, mother, it’s me.” “Oh, Hello Tom. Why might you be calling?” Tom paused for a bit, then said “Mother, I saw Charlie today.” Loni did an exited gasp then questions poured from her mouth. Tom stopped her then began to answer some of her questions. “Well, he seemed fine. He’s grown a lot. He’s extremely thin though. Definitely something to worry about. Anyway, he’s still the same old mean Charlie we’ve always known, maybe worse. Anyway, he’s only changed on the outside.” Loni was disappointed when she heard this. She was worried, like Tom had said that if he was too thin. “How thin?” “Well, any less fat and he’ll be pure skin and bones.” Loni was now worried even more. “Do you think he’d want to see me, or anyone in this family?” “Probably not.” Tom paused for a second then said, “Except for Falia.” “Oh, yes.” Loni said. There was a long pause between the two. Loni broke the silence. “I have a plan that I will put into action as soon as high school ends.” She said. “But, mom, this is our second year! That seems way too long.” “Believe me. You’ll need the time. Now, all you have to do is warm up to Charlie. That is, if you can.” “I’ll try. But m….” He didn’t get to finish. Loni hung up before he could protest or negotiate.
The next day, Tom approached Charlie again. “Whaddya want?” Charlie said not in the nicest of tones. Tom didn’t answer immediately. “I…I was wondering if we could forget all that stuff from when we were puppies and maybe, start over.” Tom said shyly. Charlie didn’t say anything for a while then turned to him and gave him the best smile he could manage. “Sure.” Charlie said. Tom didn’t expect this to be easy at all. “So, um, Charlie…how have you been doing?” “Okay.” “Any friends? Girlfriends?” Tom asked Charlie curiously. “Well, I got one friend. And had two girlfriends, but I’m down to one, too.” Tom was a bit shocked, but wanted to know more. “So what were their names and what were they like?” Charlie told Tom about Sasha, Flo and Itchy. You’ve heard all that before, so there’s no need to go over it again. Anyway, Charlie and Tom became fast friends.
When it was time to head home, Tom asked Charlie where he lived. “I’m stayin’ at Christy, Sam and Ben’s.” Charlie said as the trio walked over to the two brothers. “Charlie, who’s this?” “Tom, Christy. Christy, Tom. Ben, Tom. Tom, Ben. Sam, Tom. Tom, Sam.” Charlie said this too fast. The were all slightly dazed after introductions. “How’d you meet?” “He’s my brother.” Charlie said, answering Christy’s question. They were shocked. The triplets looked from Charlie to Tom, from Tom to Charlie. “You sure?” “Mm-hmm.” Tom said. “Okay…” Sam and Ben said. “Yeah. We should get going. Come on Charlie.” The four ran off. Tom watched them for a second. Christy was flirting with Charlie while Sam and Ben snickered as they watched. Tom went in another direction, thinking. He was confused. How could Charlie, the fat little puppy, grow to be THAT good-looking and thin? He was also confused that Charlie had taken his invitation so quickly. He did seem much happier, though. He may never be polite or nice, but he’s happy and so are his friends. It would be nice if he could be like this around mother. Tom thought as he reached his home.
Tom, again, called his mother and told her of the events of that day. “Well, he accepted it quicker than I expected. He seems really happy.” “This is good. Keep warming up to him. I am working on m plan.” Loni said through the phone. She was eager to see her son again. “Mother, are you sure he’ll want to do whatever you’re doing?” “I already talked to Falia. She’s eager to see her brother as well.” “Does she know the plan?” “Like you, no. Now, good night Tom.” Loni said before hanging up. Tom went to sleep after that.
Meanwhile, Charlie is also settling in. Jolie is talking with Christy. “So, this whole thing seems to have died down?” “Yes, but why should I talk to Sasha about this? Wouldn’t that get the whole thing stirred up again?” “Maybe, but if we let these things sit, they could explode. Lemonade doesn’t get sweet by letting the sugar sit at the bottom.” “Doesn’t the sugar getting picked off the bottom equal disaster.” “On the way, maybe. But once the sugar is mixed in, what do you get?” “Perfect lemonade.” Christy said reluctantly. Jolie nodded, then Christy said “But what in the world do I say to Sasha?” “It’ll come to you.” Jolie said before giving Christy a good night kiss, then leaving Christy in her room to sleep. Her next stop was…you SHOULD be able to guess that by now.
“Hey Charlie.” Jolie said as she entered. “So, anything happen?” “Well, unfortunately, my brother found me.” Charlie said, still looking at her. “How is that unfortunate?” “I’m trying to get away from them, but they keep following me.” Charlie said, as usual, staring out the window. Jolie felt sorry for him, but this time, she was out of words. She said good night, then left Charlie alone. These conversations always have the same essence. She thought as she went to bed.
The next morning, Christy went to confront Sasha. “Hey. Um, about Charlie. He didn’t…I told you about Flo because I was jealous.” “I don’t want to talk about him anymore. He chose to date me AND Flo at the same time. And that has nothing to do with you, so just stay out of this!” Sasha yelled at her before leaving. Christy shrugged and thought Well, at least I tried. Bess saw Sasha and wondered what had happened THIS time. She went into the bathroom, again. She found Sasha crying, again.
“Sasha, what did Charlie do this time?” “He met me, that’s what!” Sasha cried. Bess realized that someone must have brought up Charlie and she knew just who to ask. She, also, devised a plan. She decided, first, she’d call Flo, then ask anyone Charlie hung around with a lot, then ask Charlie. She needed to help Sasha before she went crazy.
That afternoon, Bess got Flo’s number from Christy. She called the number and was surprised when she heard a soft, sweet voice say “Hello?” Bess said, “Hey, I’m Bess.” “Who’s Bess?” “ME!” “Who’s you?” “Oh, I’m Charlie’s girlfriend’s friend.” “I am his girlfriend and I don’t you.” Bess then realized that Charlie must not have told Flo about Sasha and she decided not to. She decided that it was only one date and that she didn’t want to ruin Charlie’s life more than it already was. “Never mind.” Bess said as she hung up.
In New Orleans, Flo is talking to Itchy, telling him about the call. “Maybe I could go there and talk to him about it.” Flo said to Itchy. “Maybe I should go. That could cause a scene if you came, ya know?” “Yeah, I guess.” Flo said, regretting realizing that Itchy was right. Itchy headed off to get on the exchange program, leaving Flo with the puppies.
Back in San Francisco, Jolie made her nightly rounds then went to bed. The next morning, at breakfast, as usual, Charlie wasn’t there. “Where does he go during breakfast?” She wondered aloud. “He goes out to hunt or something.” Ben said. “You can’t hunt around here.” Jolie argued. “You asked.” Ben accused her before leaving for school. Sam and Christy followed.
When they got there, they saw a dachshund in a green, sleeveless shirt and a red baseball cap. “Who are you and what in the world are you wearing?” Christy asked as she looked at the dachshund’s clothes. “You sound familiar.” The dachshund said. They recognized his voice as Itchy’s. “Itchy?” “Christy, Sam, Ben?” “Hi! Somehow I imagined you much different.” Christy said, looking at his size and clothes. “Have you seen Charlie?” “We don’t see him until school starts.” Christy informed him. “Oh.” “HEY!” A desperate call came from not far away. A beautiful collie approached them. “Itchy…why…didn’t…you…wait for…me?” the collie said between breaths. “I thought you were staying with the puppies.” “I…got a…puppy…sitter.” She said, still breathing hard. “Flo?” Christy asked. “Christy?” Flo asked. The two hugged then Christy said “You look beautiful, and why are you here?” “I had to help with this girlfriend thing.” “Oh. It’s nothing to worry about.” Christy assured her. “Ahem. I’m Charlie’s girlfriend and I’m going to help!” Flo stated, making it clear that she WAS going to help and wasn’t leaving until this was over.
As they approached the school, they saw Charlie talking with Bess. “Is that the girl?” Flo asked angrily. “No, but that’s the girl’s friend.” Christy corrected her. “She’s pretty.” Itchy said, looking at Bess. “Itchy! Stay focused!” Flo shouted at Itchy. Charlie obviously heard this and looked at them in disbelief. “Charlie!” Flo yelled as she ran towards him. She kissed him and he kissed her back. Itchy, Christy, Ben and Sam just shook their heads.
Tom then joined them and saw Flo. “Who is that?” he asked Christy. “Charlie’s girlfriend, Flo.” She replied. “Another one?” “Huh?” “Doesn’t he already have Sasha, and you…kind of.” “I guess.” “Charlie, where is she?” “Where’s who?” “This girl!” “Oh…who knows.”
Christy and Tom were pulled out of their conversation and watched Charlie and Flo. Just then, they saw Sasha coming over to them. “Who…is that?” Sasha asked when she saw Flo. Christy, Tom, Ben, Sam, and Itchy all looked at her. “Who’s she?” Itchy asked. “Who’s that?” “Who are you?” “Who’s that?” “Who’re you?” “STOP!” Christy stepped in. “Sasha, this is Itchy. Itchy, this is Sasha.” The two stared at each other for a moment, then asked a different question, “What are you doing here?” Sasha’s reply was “I live here.” Itchy said “Flo needed company and puppies aren’t easy to take care of.” Everyone stared at him. “What?” “What do you mean by puppies?” “Well, Flo has some puppies, but she wanted to take care of this whole mess. So she left me in charge. I’ve spent too much time taking care of those puppies, so I came along.” “Oh.”

CHAPTER II
I Well, Sasha saw Flo and WAS NOT happy about her. “You!” She growled before pouncing. Flo quickly dodged her and Sasha landed on the pavement. “Let’s not start a fight. Besides, you came after me, so I think it’s perfectly clear who’s at fault here.” Flo said. “Oh, perfectly.” Sasha growled. “Well, since you agree, why are you blaming me if you’re the culprit?” Flo asked. Sasha looked confused. “I thought you were talking about Charlie.” She said. “Oh yeah, that does make more sense.” Flo said thoughtfully. “Duh.” Sasha rolled her eyes. They turned to Charlie and growled. “Ladies, calm down.” They continued to advance towards him. “Do ya wanna talk it over perhaps?” Charlie asked. Sasha and Flo stopped and nodded. “Sasha, I really didn’t mean to get serious with you. I guess I was just using you.”
Obviously, Sasha didn’t like this AT ALL. She was now growling and about to pounce on him, teeth and all, but now it was Flo who stopped her. She pulled Sasha back, who sat arms crossed, teeth bared and her tail flicking frantically. Bess ran to Sasha to calm her down. Itchy and Christy tried to convince Charlie to say sorry to Sasha, which was NOT and easy task. He refused and Sasha wouldn’t look at Charlie. Bess growled at Charlie with a frown. Of coarse, he didn’t notice. Flo busied herself with the huge task of calming Sasha. To everyone’s relief, the school bell rang and everyone headed off to class.
Well, the school day was harder than usual and the teachers noticed this. They asked Sasha, Charlie and Flo to stay after school and they talked. Mrs. Johnson was the one to do it. You know that she’s Charlie and Sasha’s English teacher and Flo ended up with her too. Well, she began the conversation with the trio with this question: “What’s going on with you three?” She asked. She had noticed that Sasha wouldn’t speak to Flo or Charlie, who wouldn’t speak to Sasha. Flo wouldn’t speak to Sasha either. When no one answered, she repeated her question. This time, Flo answered. “Well, Charlie was dating me, but then he came here and began to date Sasha as well. I found out and came here. Just this morning, Charlie explained and I understood, but Sasha didn’t, so now Charlie and I aren’t speaking to her nor her us.” Flo explained. Mrs. Johnson was a bit overwhelmed by this explanation.
“So, basically, Charlie was cheating on both of you and you had a fight?” They nodded. “Well, I have one thing to say and it’s that Sasha and Flo, you two have no reason to not talk to each other, but DO have a reason to not talk to Charlie. However, not talking won’t help. You should talk about it.” Sasha protested. “Mrs. Johnson, we tried that and this is how it turned out.” “Then do it with me here.” Flo and Sasha knew they’d never get the full story out like they had this morning in front of a teacher. “Well, Charlie, why’d you do it?” Flo began. Charlie didn’t reply. Sasha tried to get him to talk, but he refused. Mrs. Johnson got an idea that she should’ve thought of before.
“Where did you have this fight?” “In front of the school.” Flo and Sasha said. “Well then, why don’t we get the security videos from this morning?” “You don’t have to go through all that trouble.” They all protested. Mrs. Johnson smiled and headed off. “We’re doomed.” Flo said. “That’s true.” Charlie and Sasha nodded. Mrs. Johnson came back with the tape and popped it in. They saw Charlie talking to Bess, Flo and Itchy running over the horizon, Christy, Ben and Sam coming, Tom coming, introductions and finally got to the fight. After it was over, Mrs. Johnson was shocked. “Charlie, I’m very disappointed. This maybe should be left to you guys after all.” She said before dismissing them. She watched the fight again and shook her head as it played. “The very idea. What has this world come to?”
Meanwhile, Charlie and Flo came home to find Itchy, Christy, Ben and Sam bonding wit ha board game in the living room. Flo and Charlie were speaking to each other again and everyone wondered what had happened. Christy ran up to Charlie said that she was sorry. He nodded and the two joined them in their board game. They had fun, ate dinner and went to bed. Surprisingly, they had enough rooms in the house for everyone to have their own room, almost. Flo had to stay with Christy, but that was it. They liked to talk to each other, girl to girl. They were used to talking to boys though. Flo really only talked to Charlie and Itchy and Christy only talked to her 2 brothers. The only other girl she talked to was her mother.
So they enjoyed these little talks because they could talk to a girl their own age. And, so they talked. “So, how’s it in New Orleans?” “Oh, it’s pretty good.” Flo replied. “Um, about Charlie’s brother, Tom, is he, well, free?” “I don’t know. Ask him or Charlie.” Flo replied again. Christy thought for a bit then said, “I was thinking, maybe I could to New Orleans for the last 2 years of high school.” Christy said. Flo was a bit shocked. “Families aren’t that easy to find there and you wouldn’t want to go there anyway.” Flo said. “I’m fine. I could stand to be a street dog for a bit.” Christy said with a smile. Flo gulped and wanting to get off the subject, she said good night and they drifted off to sleep.
Now Jolie’s night rounds had become less nightly and more weekly. Sometimes. They weren’t every week, but most weeks. Well, the next day didn’t go much better than the previous day. Christy began to suck up to Tom and Ben and Sam laughed at her many failed attempts to impress him. While Christy was struggling, Charlie, Sasha, and Flo were having their own problems. While Flo and Sasha did make up, Sasha didn’t forgive Charlie when he left. After he left, she cried a bit and missed him. She didn’t want to let him know, so she and Bess forgot him. Well, Sasha at least. Bess didn’t forgive Charlie for the pain he had caused Sasha, but she did forget about him most of the time.
Charlie was glad to be back in his cozy cab home, but he also missed having a family around to talk to. Flo was back at the church and Itchy was back with his mom. They settled in eventually and just as they did, Christy came. Yes, she came to New Orleans. When she got there, she saw no dog restaurants. She wasn’t sure where to eat now. She figured that everyone ate at home, but this too was a misconception. She was taken in by a kind, elderly couple. They were Cocker Spaniels and naturally, she was much bigger than they were, but she liked them. They were nice to her, but she wasn’t too happy when she found out where she’d be eating.
The couple took her to their favorite dumpster and she wrinkled her nose. “Dear, come eat.” “Out of that?” “Yes, of coarse. Where did you think you’d be eating dear?” Christy reluctantly put her head in the dumpster and immediately pulled it out. “It stinks!” “Of coarse it does, dear.” Christy put head back in, held her nose and quickly pulled out the first thing she could grab. It was the remains of some buttered toast. She was about to put it back and not eat when Fanny, her host mother, stopped her. “Dear, that’s a great find! It doesn’t get much better than that!” “I thought old folk were all about clean and those things.” Christy muttered to her self. “Usually, yes. But f we did that, we’d be dead.” Fanny said before handing her the piece of toast.
Christy ate it with her eyes closed and held her nose. She raced for a nearby puddle only to find it dirty. “Is anything here clean?” she muttered before heading off in the direction that Fanny had said the school was. She came to a pretty decent building. While it was an old, unused human school, it was the most decent thing she had seen yet and probably will see. She entered and saw Charlie and Itchy fighting with a fat pit bull and a mutt.
“Carface, go away.” Charlie said. “Make us.” Carface said in his gravely voice. “Yeah.” Killer said. Itchy tried to break up the fight before it resorted to physical violence. “Guys, I know you hate each other, but could we not start anything for one day?” When this didn’t work, Itchy took to his last resort. “Look! The principle’s coming!” he said. Carface quickly ran off and naturally, Killer followed. Itchy didn’t like to lie, but he didn’t want to repeat the events that seemed to happen daily. Christy walked up behind Itchy and said “Boo!”
Itchy jumped and screamed. Charlie and Christy laughed and Itchy was still petrified. When they had calmed down, Charlie asked the question. “What are you doing here?” “Well, I came here.” Christy said. “I know that, but how did you survive breakfast? No, don’t answer that…” Christy answered Charlie’s question anyway. “I just barely made it! How do live like this? I CAN’T TAKE THIS!” Christy cried. Flo came over, seeing the commotion. “Christy, what a wonderful surprise.” She said before turning to Charlie. “Come on, we’ve gotta get to class! Itchy, you too!” Flo said before running off. Charlie and Itchy followed, leaving Christy alone. Carface and Killer joined her.
“You like him, do ya now?” Carface asked. Christy didn’t answer. “Well, I can help.” Christy turned to him the instant he said this. “What’d you have in mind?” “Well, I was thinking a trade.” “Whaddya want?” Christy asked, not completely buying this yet. “Well, If you help me, then I’ll help you.” “How?” “Well, I know Charlie and I know how to get to him. I can help you get to him, just help me.” “Fine, but how will you help me?” “You’ll see.” Carface said before heading off with Killer, who winked. Christy waved good bye, then turned around and cheered “YES!”
Well, Carface did help her. He sent notes in Itchy’s handwriting and Charlie fell for it. The notes eventually convinced Charlie that he should be with Christy and not Flo. While he didn’t completely break up with her, he did say that they should stay separate for awhile. Flo wasn’t happy, but was curious as to what was going on. She saw Charlie and Christy together more and more often and she knew what was going on, she thought.
Well, as Charlie and Christy’s relationship was getting strong and solid, Carface pulled Christy aside and said “Now you’ve gotta keep your end of the deal.” “Okay, what do you want?” Carface handed her a note and went off. Christy could barely make out the writing, but made out as much as she could.
As she read it, she didn’t want to go through with it, but Carface had done his part, so she couldn’t refuse, really.
Your end: Get rid of Flo and Itchy. Get Charlie alone. Then come tell me where. She went off to find Carface to see if he had any ideas about how to get rid of Itchy and Flo. He did. “I wants you should go and get Killer. He’ll help you.” Christy nodded. She found Killer, who was delighted to help, after he was told it was Carface’s plan. “Well, in my experience, I’ve found it very helpful to ship ‘em off to enslave them in Africa.” “Has that ever worked?” Christy asked. Killer looked down. “Well…it goes fine…until we get to the part of getting them onto the ship.” Christy rolled her eyes. She would have to get Killer when SHE came up with a plan.
Well, Charlie saw her talking to Killer and came over to them. “Beat it.” Charlie told Killer, who ran to Carface for safety. Now, Christy knew she couldn’t get rid of Itchy and live with herself so she’d get rid of Flo first. She did. Well, tried. She sent her off to the alley mall she and discovered. Flo went in and Christy was sure she wouldn’t see her again for a while. She sent Itchy off to Canada for the week and led Charlie into the forest. She led him into the dark part and left him alone.
Well, she emerged from the forest only to find Flo and Itchy. This she didn’t understand. She had sent Flo to an endless trip to the mall and Itchy to a week’s vacation to Canada. “I’ve seen it before. I wanna be with Charlie.” Flo said. “It’s cold up there.” Itchy said. “Oh.” Christy chuckled nervously. “So, where’s Charlie?” Flo asked. “I don’t know. I’ve got to go do…something.” Christy said as she ran off. Flo and Itchy looked at each other, shrugged and headed into the forest.
Meanwhile, Christy had found Carface and told him exactly where Charlie was. Carface tried to hold his maniacal laugh but failed. Christy shrugged and went home. Carface found Charlie in the place where Christy had told him he was and chuckled. Charlie heard him and growled. Carface pounced on Charlie and a fight started. Flo and Itchy heard the growls and ran towards them. They found Charlie and Carface fighting and would’ve jumped in to stop it, but it would be too dangerous for them. They needed someone bigger. They were about to get a teacher, but that wouldn’t work. Besides, it was after school. They could get an adult, such as Itchy’s parents, but that wouldn’t help much either. They’d get someone their age.
Eric King. They’d get him. He was a Great Dane and he was tall, even for a Great Dane. Well, they found him in his sophisticated home in the neighborhood that Charlie came from and understood why he ran away. It was too quiet and fancy. Eric’s markings made a resemblance of a tuxedo. They told him their problem and he refused to help them himself, but his father was a police dog and went to get him. Flo and Itchy gulped, regretting this 100 percent.
“Well, let us go stop these savages.” Kevin (Mr. King) said. Flo and Itchy shook their heads and lead him to the fight scene. As they did, they heard Kevin endlessly complaining. “Fighting! And you call yourselves dogs. Pff! You’re mangy excuses for canines. Never bathing, howling, using teeth and claws! It’s a disgrace to dog kind!” While Flo and Itchy did enjoy some of the comments, getting a good laugh out of a few of them, they also were QUITE annoyed and insulted after quite a SHORT while.
Well, they arrived at the fight scene and it wasn’t pretty. Mr. King stepped in and pulled apart a biting Charlie and a growling Carface. Now you might think this is one of those times where the adult steps in and tells them to stop and they do, but as you should know, this is NOT one of those times. “Gentlemen! Stop fighting! An RESPONSIBLE adult is here!” “Why?” Carface snapped. Charlie just snickered, which set off Kevin a bit. “WHAT IS SO FUNNY?” Mr. King stormed. Charlie continued to snicker. Carface joined him, but they soon remembered why they were angry, but the “adult” had succeeded.
Ok, so maybe this is sort of one of those times, but the point is that they didn’t forget about the fight. As soon as Mr. King left (oh so proud), they began again. They pounced and resumed their fight. Flo and Itchy stepped in, but when they each got a scratch, they gave up. The next day, Flo remembered her own troubles.
Charlie was still with Christy. When she saw Charlie and Christy fighting, she was glad that she might get Charlie back and sad that he might be depressed about it. She eves-dropped from her own locker. “Charlie, the reason I left you there was…” “Waiting.” “…Well, I trusted Carface. And he did his end of the deal, so I had to do my end, which was to get you alone.” “What was his end of the deal?” Christy blushed and looked away. “Well?” “It was…It…It was to…It was to…He was supposed to get you to like me and he did. It worked.” “You trusted Carface?” “Well, yeah, and it worked!” Christy beamed. Flo stepped in.
“Not really, Christy. Charlie and Carface got in a fight. Itchy and me each got our share of the fight, and Carface and Charlie each got…who knows what! They could’ve killed each other!” Flo scolded just as Carface came upon the scene. “Thanks Christy. Charlie, I’m not finished with you. Flo, tell Itchy I’m sorry for the scratch.” Flo looked confused. “Just to let him know that it was an accident, you know?” Flo shook her head. “What do you want from Itchy?” “Well you know how he and you are the only ones who actually live with your parents out of the 5 of us?” “Yeah.” “Well, I was wonderin…” “Oh no. You miss your parents and were hoping that we’d help you?” Carface looked down and moved his paw in circles. “Forget it.” Charlie told Carface. Flo frowned. She didn’t like Carface, but she might be able to do something. “I’ll try.” She said. Christy looked lost. “Huh? I know Charlie ran away, but what about the duo?” “Killer-abandoned. Carface-Dad died, ran away.” “Ah.” Christy nodded.
Meanwhile, Carface and Killer, Charlie and Itchy had begun a boss-boss, assistant-assistant duel. They weren’t bosses and assistants yet, but you know what I mean. Flo and Christy left this one alone and went off to find some peace, if that was possible.
Now, Loni’s litters were home schooled and they would be allowed to leave the house/yard for a while. It was after school for the street dogs now and they just hung out at the school grounds for a while before going to their alley or whatever they lived in. Flo had gone home and Christy was exploring. She saw the duo you know as Hart and Falia exploring as well. They had some resemblance to Charlie, so Christy decided to check it out.
“Hi.” She said. Falia and Hart jumped. They had been admiring a buttercup and giggling. “Hello.” Falia said. “Who are you?” she asked. “Christy. You?” “I’m Falia and this is Hart.” Falia said politely. “You’re a housedog aren’t you? You know Eric King?” “Yes, I’m a housedog and yes, I know Eric. Why do you ask?” “Well, It’s just that, well, you looked like you might know him.” Falia and Hart nodded. “So, you know how to stop fights?” Christy asked. Falia looked shocked. “What kind?” Hart asked. When Christy gave him a confused look, he said “Physical or verbal?” “Oh, both.” Christy said. Falia and Hart nodded. “Is anyone fighting?” Falia asked nervously. “Oh yeah, for days now. They take a break, but they start again no matter what we try.”
Falia and Hart were both confused now, so Christy led them to the scene. “So, what’s your last name?” Hart answered Christy’s question. “Barkin.” Christy stopped. “No way!” She squealed. “What?” Falia asked. “Do you know a Charlie Barkin?” Falia and Hart beamed. “That’s our brother! Do you know him?” Falia asked. Christy nodded and started to continue in the direction she had been going before stopping again. “You two ready to see a street dog fight?” Falia and Hart gulped, but nodded slowly.
‘When they arrived, Charlie and Carface had resorted to violence again while (as always) Killer and Itchy left their fight to stop the C duo. Christy ran over to Itchy to ask what had happened. “Well, you can guess most of it, but this time, me and Killer HAD to be here to support each of them with our ‘yeah!’s and such and you can guess the rest. Falia and Hart had no idea what had just happened, but stepped in anyway.
Of course, both looked different, so neither recognized each other. They had no idea who was who, so they just assumed they never met. They thought. Christy found no need to introduce them, thinking that they already knew and everyone else had no idea who they were. “Hey, who’re you?” Charlie asked. “You motley street kind! Of course you’d be in a fight!” Falia flicked her chin high and walked off. Hart stared at Charlie suspiciously and also walked off. When they arrived home, they told Loni about their incident.
“Why are you two home so late?” Loni asked as they walked in the door. “We were observing the flowers and this labrador came over and started talking to us.” Hart explained. “Her name was Christy and she asked us if we knew how to resolve fights and we said we might be able to, depending on the fight.” Falia explained further. “There was a street dog physical fight going on. We broke it up and walked off, but the Shepherd seemed oddly familiar.” Hart finished. “Yes, he did.” Falia agreed. “Now, my children, we do not gossip.” Loni said as she finished cooking dinner. “We’re having chicken tonight, so go wash up. The bird is ready!” Loni said happily before pulling “the bird” out of the oven.
As usual, the Barkin family dinner was very social. “So, about this afternoon, I don’t want neither of you to ever follow a street dog again.” “Yes mother.” Falia and Hart said together as they nodded. “But, about the Shepherd, what was he like?” Falia and Hart giggled. “We didn’t talk to him really. He asked who we were and we told him we couldn’t tell him. He was definatly a street dog.” “Yes.” Hart nodded. “Ah. If I didn’t know better, I’d say it was Charlie.” Loni said. “No. He was WAY too skinny for that and he looked so diferent than Charlie did.” “Well, I’d like to meet him. Bring along tomarrow.” Loni insisted. Falia and Hart, knowing she wouldn’t take no for an answer said ok.
The next day, the same errors of yesterdays were made and yet another fight broke out. This time, without Killer and Itchy’s help. Loni saw this and was disgusted. “how can they fight like that? It’s…uncivilized!” She said as she watched from behind a bush. Falia and Hart were in the open and told her it was okay to come out. She resisted. “Well, mother, they ARE street dogs.” “I know that, but still, they’re dogs, not cannibals.” Falia and hart rolled their eyes and laughed.
Christy saw them and approached. “Hey, Falia, Hart, who’s the bush girl?” Loni was very insulted and almost exploded. “I’ll have you know I am the mother of 24 and I am not a bush girl! Now, young lady, you shouldn’t be hanging around such cannibals.” Loni said as she began to pull Christy away, who wouldn’t let her. “Who? Charlie, Itchy, Killer, or Carface? Sure they can be rough, but they’re nice.” “Did you say Charlie?” “Yes, why?” “I have a lost son named Charlie. But none of them are him, are they?” “If you’re thinking of Charlie Barkin, then that would be the Shepherd that’s fighting with the fat pit bull.” Loni’s jaw dropped and almost fell off, if it went any lower.
She ran right over and and broke up the fight with her motherly strength. Charlie right away knew who she was and backed away. Loni stared at him angrily. Falia and Hart had no idea what was going on and just looked back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth,back and forth. And so on. Falia and Hart were even more shocked when Loni asked this: “Is this what your life has come to? Huh? You left me to join the uncivilized?” Loni had a few tears in her eyes. Charlie tried to say something, but she didn’t let him.
He just backed off and left nuzzling Flo. Christy tagging close behind. Itchy looked at Loni, then left aslo. Falia and Hart had no idea what had happened, so they shooed Carface and Killer, who gladly left. Falia tried to comfort Loni, then asked “Who was that?” Loni was shocked. Falia had no idea why. “What?” she asked. “That was Charlie.” Falia gasped and almost fainted. When she awoke, they headed home and Loni devised her plot.
Charlie decided to drop out of high school and along with him, Carface, Killer, Itchy and Flo. They began their own lives at 15 (dog years) and we all know what happens at 16 or less to Charlie. Yes, the first movie! So, here ends this part.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment