Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - part ii

"Sally meets Jack for the first time . . ." I wrote this a few months back and decided that I may as well post this here as well :)

Chapter 2 - part ii

Chapter 2 - part ii
“When Sally Met Jack”

Ch.2

By: SKC



Sally was having a wonderful dream. She was lying in a grassy, yellow meadow surrounded by the twisting, spiraling trees of the land of Halloween, above her the pumpkin sun in the sky burned a brilliant orange as it neared the hills in the distance, signaling the anticipated end of day. . . it was an image derived from a picture that she had once seen in one the doctor’s books. She stretched on her back feeling entirely too comfortable and sighed deeply with contentment. A little gray flower brushed against her face and she lazily plucked it from the ground to admire it. She lovingly stroked its soft petals before delicately pulling one after the other loose from its stem, a previously unknown verse repeating in her mind.. A gentle breeze began to blow across her then, carrying with it a voice. It was Jack Skellington. And yet his voice had changed from her phantom Jack’s; it was a clearer, sweeter and *truer* voice than before. It was his real voice and he was calling her name.

Sally sat up looking around her, searching excitedly for the King of Halloween. His voice grew louder and she soon saw his slender shadow arriving ahead of him as he came towards her from a forest path. She smiled widely and opened her mouth to call to him when a black ball of *something* landed heavily on her lap.

She let out a choked scream in surprise before she realized what had perched none to gently upon her knee. It was a crow. A very familiar looking crow . . . and she gave a startled gasp as she realized that instead of the black beady eyes and beak that a normal crow should have, it had instead the black beady glasses and beak-like mouth of Dr. Finklestein!

The crow Dr. Finklestein rose suddenly into the air, beating his black wings furiously in front of her, causing a great gust of wind that pushed her back and kicked up dust and grass. The angry fowl then started squawking at her, drowning out the tender voice of the king.

“WAKE UP! -SQUAWK- WAKE UP!”


???????????


. . . Sally’s eyes flew open as she awoke with a start only to nearly faint once more as her eyes came into focus on a closeup view of the doctor’s angry face.

She gasped in shock and attempted to scamper backwards, away from the intruding visage of the doctor. That is, she *attempted* to scamper away, for when she propelled herself backwards, she promptly ran out of supporting ground, flipped backwards with limbs flailing, one of which connected with the underside of the doctor’s jaw causing his skull to open and slam shut again with a sharp *CLANG!,* and finally landed on her back on the floor, legs straight up in the air and draped over the arm of the couch that she had just fallen off of. All in all it was quite the spectacle for a Monday morning.

Sally blinked several times staring now up at the dark, metallic ceiling, her mind working frantically through her confusion to piece together what had just happened; She was on the floor. That was because she had just fallen off of the couch. The doctor was angrily howling in pain across the room. That was because she had kicked him in the face when she had fallen off of the couch. She had fallen off of the couch. That was because she had been startled. She had been startled. That was because the doctor’s face had been far too close for comfort when she had awoken. She had awoken. That was because she had been asleep, no . . . unconscious. She had been unconscious. That was because she had fainted. She had fainted. That was because the mayor had turned out to actually be . . .

“The Pumpkin King!”

Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King in question, was now looking worriedly at her from above but he smiled wryly at her use of his title. “There’s no need to be so formal with me, Sally. Just call me, ‘Jack,’ like everyone else.” And then his expression turned worried once more. “But are you alright, Sally? We didn’t mean to startle you . . .”

Sally listened to the skeleton man’s words in a daze, he was just so . . . so *enchanting.* Her eyes roamed over his face, trying to memorize every detail and it was then that she noticed a blossoming bruise on the side of his face that she was sure hadn’t been there before. . .

She flushed a deep scarlet at the thought of being the cause of the injury. It was also at that moment that she realized the precarious state of her dress and she hurriedly tried to untangle herself with the couch, to pull her dress back down to a respectable position.

“I-I . . . I am *so* sorry! I-”

In one fluid movement, Jack extended his hand to grasp her arm and pulled her back up to a sitting position on the arm of the couch.

She landed with an, “Oh!” Sally had never thought that it was possible for arms that thin to be so strong and for some reason that she didn’t quite understand, this fact made her blush.

“There you are, Sally! There’s no need to be sorry about a thing!”

Sally wanted to believe Jack, she really did, but she had her doubts as she scanned the deepening mark on his face. “B-but, your face . . . t-that mark . . .was it. . . did I-”

Jack was about to wave it off when he was quite literally cut off by the doctor who wheeled himself in front of the king, looking very, *very* angry.

“Yes, you did, you wretched girl! Poor Jack here was merely trying to give you some air when you nearly knocked his head off! And just now you tried to finish the job on me for bringing your useless consciousness back into this world!” And then he deflated, his tone turning into tragic self pity, “Oh, *why* must children be so selfish? Why-”

“That will be quite enough, doctor.”

Sally lifted her head from her shameful stance to gaze in wonderment at Jack as he stepped out from behind the doctor and turned to the now gaping mad scientist with a frown.

“Really, doctor, there’s no need to get so upset. There’s no harm done and besides, this whole thing is entirely *my* fault, not Sally’s. I should have sent word that I was coming rather than to spring a nasty surprise on her like that.”

Sally’s awe quickly turned to horror. Did he actually think that she thought his sudden appearance instead of the mayor’s was *nasty?!* The surprise was anything but that! It was . . . it was the most *wonderful* surprise that she could have ever asked for! It was true that it was a bit *overwhelming,* but most certainly not in a bad way! She could *not* allow him to believe this awful lie another moment longer!

She stood up (nearly stumbling as one of her leg seams had slackened during her tumble) and opened her mouth to protest but was, as in her dream, cut off by the doctor.

“Yes, well I suppose that you’re too much of a gentleman to blame your subjects, Jack m’ boy.” He adjusted his beady glasses to better scrutinize the rag doll. “. . . Even if they may not deserve it.”

Sally was certain that if Jack had eyes, he would be rolling them.

“Nonsense, I don’t have to defend anyone because what I’m saying is true.” The doctor tried to persist but it was Jack who had the floor now. And when Jack spoke, *everyone* paid attention.

“Yes, I assume full responsibility for this whole ordeal and I apologize to you both. So why don’t we just say it’s water under the bridge and give dear Sally here a proper welcome, hmm?”

Had Jack just called her, *dear?* Sally was certain that all of the blushing that she was doing today couldn’t be good for her. She didn’t want Jack to assume any responsibility for what had happened, but she didn’t wish to argue with him either; especially since he was being so very gracious.

The doctor on the other hand looked as if he wanted to do anything besides forget the matter, but a threatening glance from Jack made him relent with a vengeful nod.

Jack’s demeanor quickly switched to pleasant once more as the doctor finally agreed. “Splendid!” He gestured to the sofas. “Shall we make ourselves comfortable then?”
He offered an arm to Sally and at first she didn’t know what to do for the doctor had taught her nothing about this sort of gesture.

Jack noticed her distress and smiled encouragingly at her. “You slip your arm through mine like this . . .” He used his other hand to gently guide her arm through his and she tentatively rested her hand on his forearm with a blush.

Jack laughed good-naturedly as he led her to the sofa, “Why, you’re a natural noblewoman, Sally! Are you sure you haven’t done this before?”

Sally laughed for the first time that night as she shook her head, ‘no.’ This Jack Skellington was just . . . *amazing.* She had fainted on him, nearly knocked his head off and had humiliated herself beyond belief; and yet he was still being so *kind* to her. And it was a *genuine* kindness she was sure of it . . . at least she hoped she was sure of it. But at that moment, it didn’t really matter because Sally had never been happier and not even the muted mumblings (which she was sure were nasty) of the doctor who followed behind them could ruin her joy.

Jack led her the short distance to the musty couch and she gingerly took a seat on one end, Jack the other. The doctor came to a stop on his wheelchair in front of them, looking very fidgety indeed. It was obvious that he wanted this meeting to be over with as soon as possible.

Jack however, either didn’t notice or ignored the doctor’s stress and throbbing vein at his temple, a sign that Sally knew meant that the doctor was *very* annoyed. Sally had never known the doctor to show this kind of restraint with her or Igor or *anybody,* and so the fact that he was so submissive towards Jack now . . . well, it was impressive to say the least.

The Pumpkin King surveyed them both with a happy grin and seemingly unconquerable glee. “Now, isn’t this better? Much more comfortable at least, wouldn’t you say?”

The doctor gave a begrudging grunt of approval, yet seemed to be anything but comfortable. “Yes, I suppose it is . . . er . . . perhaps you’d like some more tea, Jack?” Sally had to give the doctor a few merit points for at least trying to be civil, but she was far from being reassured.

Jack however, beamed at the friendly suggestion. “Why, yes, that would be lovely. Thank you! And what about you, Sally? Are you having any?”

Sally was taken aback by the question, no one had ever asked her if she wanted anything before. Dr. Finklestein most certainly hadn’t and from the look on his face he hadn’t intended to now. But the reassuring presence of the king sitting next to her, filled her with a confidence that she would not have dared to have in his absence. She pulled herself up straighter and smiled at Jack. “Yes, . . . yes I think I will have some tea as well.”

The doctor didn’t look to pleased with her, what he would call “impudence,” but there was very little that he could do about it in the presence of Jack Skellington; the good doctor had tested the Pumpkin King’s patience once that morning, and he knew better than to test it twice. After all, Jack could be the most pleasant and good-natured person in all of Halloween Town, but when he got angry . . . well, it was safe to say that there was indeed a reason why he was considered to be the most terrifying being in Halloween.

The doctor suppressed a shudder and snapped his fingers. Immediately, the sound of shuffling feet could be heard as the previously forgotten Igor trudged into the room.

“Igor! Run into the kitchen and fetch us another pot of tea and . . .-hrmm- . . . an extra cup as well, if you please.”

The hunchback’s face nearly grazed the floor as he bowed before his creator. “Yes, master . . . as you wish, master . . .”

Jack had looked a little uncomfortable with Igor’s blatant display of servitude before the doctor, but shrugged it off as the hunchback exited the room, and turned his attention back to Sally with a grin.

“So, Sally, let’s take things from the top, shall we? Well, you know my name is Jack Skellington and it seems that you know that I’m the Pumpkin King as well, so . . . would it be safe to assume that you know what that means?”

Sally nodded shyly. “I-it means that you . . . that you’re the ruler of Halloween Town?”

Jack nodded as well. “Yes, it does, yet it’s not only Halloween Town and it’s residents that I’m responsible for, but the entirety of the Halloween holiday itself. Tell me, Sally, do you know what Halloween is about?”

The rag dolls brows knitted together as she pondered the question, desperately not wanting to humiliate herself any further by saying something foolish.

“Um . . . w-well . . . it’s . . . it’s about, ah . . . s-scaring people?” Her worried eyes darted towards the king and she frantically prayed that she had said at least *something* akin to the correct answer. But she needn’t have worried for Jack was very unlike anyone that she had ever met, . . . or ever would meet.

Sally felt her apprehension dissolve as Jack’s grin grew wider. “Well . . . Yes, Sally, you’re very right. In a nutshell, that *is* what Halloween is about.”

Sally was positively beaming! She had actually answered one of Jack’s questions correctly!

“However,” Sally’s smile faded slightly as Jack continued, “do you know *why* we scare people?”

Sally felt her heart sink as she already knew that she wouldn’t be able to answer the question. She had no idea why and from the puzzled look on Dr. Finklestein’s face it was obvious that he didn’t know the reasoning behind why they did what they did either.

The doctor spoke up before Sally had a chance to take a breath.

“Now, Jack, be nice. It’s no fair asking a young girl such a thing when the answer is so debatable. It’s like asking someone why the sun is orange or why water is green or-”

Jack held up a hand for silence and the doctor abruptly halted his tirade. “Let me assure you doctor, that I had no intention of not being fair or being unkind; I simply wanted to know what *Sally* thought, that’s all . . .”

Jack turned back to her with an encouraging smile. “So, Sally why do *you* think we scare people?”

Jack wanted to know her *opinion?* She blushed not really knowing what to say, she was happy that was Jack was inadvertently answering the questions that she had wanted to ask, but she had never thought that she would have to ask *herself* questions. She watched as Igor returned from the kitchen and began passing the tea around. Why would they want to scare people? Why? . . .

And then, although afterwards she could not explain it, an answer came to her as clear as daylight. “We scare people . . . because deep down inside of them . . . they want to be scared.”

A slow grin crept its way across Jack’s skull and something changed in his expression. “That . . . that is a very good answer.”

Sally gazed back at him with a smile. She had never been so proud in her life! She wished that Jack would visit every day, or maybe she could visit him . . .

The doctor looked from Sally to Jack and didn’t like what he saw one . . . little . . . bit. Jack’s gaze was just a little too intrigued and Sally’s just a little too admiring for his liking. It was best to nip this situation in the bud . . . before a certain something decided to take root . . .

“Yes, yes a very good answer indeed.” The doctor took a deep swig of his tea, some of which dribbled down his chin. It was time to assert his ownership.

“Yes, I’m sure that she’ll keep me some very interesting company for many years. That is, after all, the reason I made her . . .”

Sally snapped out of her trance not sure if she should feel pleased at the doctor’s first compliment or upset because her future had already been planned for her; and a future of only having the doctor for company was beginning to look more and more bleak . . .

Jack seemed to come back to his senses as well. “What? Oh, ah, yes, well I-I suppose so, if that’s what she wants. That, along with her Halloween duties of course.”
Sally froze. Could Jack possible mean what she thought he did?

“H-Halloween duties? You mean . . . you mean that I can . . . take part in Halloween too?”

The doctor looked like he wanted to protest but Jack, as he had been doing all morning, beat the good doctor to be the first to speak.

“Of *course* you can, Sally! In fact, *all* the citizens of Halloween Town contribute something towards the progress of the holiday, usually by utilizing their best talents.”

Sally felt like she had been punched in the stuffing; the people of Halloween had *talents.* She knew what ‘talents’ were and she was certain that she had none. After all, what kind of talent would a clumsy rag doll like her possibly have . . .

“I . . . I don’t have any talents . . . t-the only things that I do are cooking, cleaning and sewing . . .”

Jack raised a brow with a smile. “But Sally, all of those things *are* talents! And did you say that you can sew?”

A blushing rag doll slowly nodded. “Yes, I-I make all of our clothing . . .”

Jack looked positively thrilled. “You make *clothing?* How marvelous! You see, we’ve been in *desperate* need of new seamstress to make the Halloween costumes! (And I’ve been needing a new tailor myself) I’m sure you’d love it! So, how about it, Sally? Would you like to be the town seamstress?”

“Why I’d *love* to! I-”

“I’m afraid that I can’t allow it.”

Both Sally and Jack turned towards the, once again, intruding Dr. Finklestein. Jack frowned and looked as if he were seriously trying to restrain some severe impulse.

“And why is that, doctor?”

The doctor took his time in answering, finishing off the remnants of his tea before he spoke. He laid his cup on the table next to him and steepled his hands in front of him, obviously enjoying the *very* temporary shift in power.

“I cannot allow it, because Sally sews by hand and would not have time to do her duties around here.”

Jack looked put out at first but then brightened. “Well, then she can learn to use a sewing machine! It’ll take her less then half of time! Why, she can even use my grandmother’s machine! It’s been in the attic for years, but it still works like new! It’s a shame to let such a wonderful machine go to waste, for I’ll most certainly never use it.”

The doctor was spluttering now. “W-well that’s very *kind* of you, Jack but-”

And then Sally did something else that she had never dared to do before. She interrupted the doctor.

“Yes, it *is* very kind of you, your highnes- ah - I mean *Jack.* It’s so much more than I deserve . . . I-I don’t know if I can accept, I mean it was your *grandmother’s*. . .”

Jack waved it off with an happy grin. “Nonsense! Of *course* you deserve it, Sally! Please, it would make me *so* very happy if you would accept and I’ll warn you, I can be quite persistent! Isn’t that right, doctor?”

The doctor slouched in his wheelchair. He knew when he was defeated. “Yes, you most certainly are *that,* Jack . . .”

Sally hardly heard Jack and the doctor making arrangements to have the machine delivered the next day, she was too preoccupied with simply staring at Jack. The whole morning had been more wonderful than she had ever dared to dream for. And Jack . . . she sighed deeply . . . he was almost too good to be true, and yet he *was* true. Everything about him was genuine and he radiated an energy that Sally was quickly becoming addicted to . . .

“. . . Well, I guess that I’d better be on my way. I have quite a bit of work to tend to at the Town Hall today I’m afraid, and I really must check in with the mayor to see how he’s doing. -sheepish grin- It ah . . . was sort of my fault after all . . .”

Sally watched Jack stand and panic gripped her as she realized that he was leaving. She didn’t want him to leave! She wanted him to stay! No, better yet she wanted to go with him! Yes! She wanted to be able to see and talk to him whenever she wanted! Out there, out there in the town like everyone else! What if he never came back? What if she never got out of this place?

Sally stood up as quickly as she could and turned to Jack who now shaking hands with a very relieved looking Dr. Finklestein.

“Y-you’re leaving?”

Jack turned to her with a sad smile. “Yes, I’m afraid so, Sally. But I’ll be seeing you again sometime soon, I’m sure . . .”

He offered her a slender hand and this time she took it immediately, gripping his hand tightly, not wanting to ever let go . . .

“It was wonderful meeting you, Sally. I hope that I’ll get to see a lot more of you from now on.”

Sally knew that if it were up to the doctor, Jack would *never* get to see her ever again. She knew that the doctor was going to be furious with her after Jack left; he would never let her out now. And then, she knew what she had to do. Jack had given her a glimpse of what she was missing in her life. He had given her a true reason, a true *purpose* for being. All she had to do was get to it . . .

Her heart was beating with determination.

“You will, Jack . . .You will.”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Dragontine on November 3, 2007, 2:32:23 AM

Dragontine on
DragontineAHHHH!!!!! THATS SO SWEET!!!