Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - You Were Perfect to me

Short story told in Mercedes's point of view. What were to happen if Lace were to die?

Chapter 1 - You Were Perfect to me

Chapter 1 - You Were Perfect to me
          I always liked Lacey, and I never toldhim that enough.
          I sighed and dropped a flower on themound that had appeared on the ground, sighing quietly, staring at it. It wasweird to think of Lacey as dead, as finally gone. I felt something wet on mycheek, reached up and rubbed it.
          Tears? I couldn’t rememberspecifically the last time I cried. They felt weird, alien to me.
          I stepped away from the grave and backto my “family”, or what remained of us now. I said nothing to my “brothers”,just watched them walk to the grave themselves.
          I looked up at Vincent and reachedover, taking his hand. He wasn’t moving, seemed as if he wasn’t breathing atall. His dark locks of hair were falling in front of his face, his mask hidingthe tears I knew were there. After all, he loved Lacey; he had to be crying,right?
          I figured that was how real loveworked.
          “Vincent?” I asked, my voice almostcracking. I hadn’t said anything all afternoon, and the sounds felt weirdescaping my throat. His eyes darted down to my own, my chocolate gaze that wasso much like his. “Are you gonna be okay, Vincent?”
          His grip tightened on mine, then hisarm snaked around my shoulder and he pulled me to his side. I smiled andwrapped my arms around him, my long blonde locks falling over my brown eyes. Ibet I stood out, my pale skin to his black clothes.
          Then my brothers were returning, andVincent released me, taking them into his arms for an embrace. They were cryingtoo. It seemed we were all crying, drowning the world in our tears.
          As we walked away from the mound, Iwondered when we’d come back to it. Would we move on with life and forget aboutLacey’s body, withering away into the dirt?
          I hoped not.
          I didn’t speak that night, not to mybrothers, even as they disappeared off to bed. I sat in my room, in a house inthe town. After Lacey found me, Vincent convinced Bo to empty it of wax figuresand let us stay there. It was a quite house, and now all too quiet without thesounds of Lacey up and about at night.
          He could never stay in one place long.I remembered as a kid sitting on my bed, watching him creep by, Lacey thinkinghe hadn’t been noticed. I knew he was sneaking out to see Vincent in hisworkshop, to watch Vincent work. He liked to do that.
          I lay down and hugged my pillow. It smelledof Lacey. Smelled of his sweet scent, and I wondered how the scent hadlingered. When was the last time I had asked Lacey to sleep with me?
          I sighed and closed my eyes. I couldhear his voice, so smooth, in my ear, calling me.
          “Mercedes, Mercedes.” I whimpered abit, then rolled onto my back and sat up. I pulled my light gray shirt up overmy head and threw it on the floor. I then gripped my knees and pulled them tomy bare chest, closed my eyes and fought back tears. My blonde hair was on myshoulders, my back, my chest, softly grazing over my skin.
          I didn’t want to be alone in my roomtonight. I wanted to be with Vincent. I wanted to be down in his workshop,around the wax. I wanted to try and lose myself in it too. I didn’t care that Iwas no artist compared to him, never would be.
          I wondered if I could help fill thewhole Lacey had left in Vincent. I wondered, could I ever do anything likeLacey had? Could I keep Vincent from feeling lonely, talk to him and reasonwith him? Could I care for him, physically, emotionally…
          Sexually?
          The idea sparked me. I’d never triedit. I’d honestly never tried very hard to get to Vincent or Lacey sexually. Iguess that was normal, they were parent figures, but still…
          Our family was not normal, none of us.So why follow that restriction? I stood up and walked out of my room, down thehallway, past my brothers’ room, and down the stairs. They brought me right toour front door, and I stepped out, still shirtless.
          It wasn’t too far to the House of Wax,but it felt like it, with the cold wind hitting my chest and arms and stomach.I shivered and was relieved to step into the dark wax building.
          Every step I took seemed to sound likea herd of wild beasts to me in the silence, I was sure Vincent could hear me. Istepped to the door of the basement and began creeping down them slowly,guiding my hand over the wax wall to keep me steady. Once I reached their end,I turned to face the workshop and saw Vincent working on a wax figure.
          As I walked towards him, I couldn’tsee it’s gender, and it jarred an idea in my mind. Why not turn Lacey into wax?Keep him forever with us in a hard prison of art?
          I pushed it to the back of my mind. Iwould think on it later. Right now I had other things to think about.
          I walked up behind Vincent, and I knewhe knew I was there, he just hadn’t acknowledged me.
          “Vincent.”
          He turned his head and his brown gazemet mine. Those dark eyes were so smooth, and I wanted to shiver. This wasinsane. This man was my father figure, my guardian, and was I about to try andseduce him after he just lost his lover?
          Well, it seemed so.
          I moved closer to him, and he took hismask off, his hair draping over much of his scared side.
          “What is it, Mercedes?” I blushed abit and stopped, keeping my gaze locked on his. “Where’s your shirt? You’ll getsick.”
          I shrugged at his questions, then gotcloser, my body pressing to his. Vincent was a lot older then me, he had been alot older then Lacey. But Lacey had been so young, only in his thirties, whenwe lost him a few days ago.
          I was only 22. I didn’t care. I let myarms encircle Vincent’s neck, watched his eyes widen.
          “I don’t want you to be alone tonight,Vincent,” I said. “I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t try to keep you frombeing alone.”
          I kissed him. I’d never kissed Vincentlike this, hard against his mouth, with my tongue molesting his own. His handswere on my waist, his fingers gripping at my skin. I wasn’t sure if he waspulling me closer or pushing me away.
          I broke the kiss and stared at him. Hestared back, and part of me thought he wanted to kiss me again.
          “What are you doing?” He asked. Iblushed, averted my eyes. I wanted him to like it; I wanted him to kiss meback.
          “I’m trying to…trying to…” I wasn’tsure what to say. Seduce you? No, because in a way I wasn’t. Part of me wantedVincent a little, but…I wouldn’t die without him, I didn’t love him likethat…so what was I doing?
          “I d-don’t know, Vincent but…I feellike…I need to do this…” He shook his head, and took my hand. We walked over tohis cot and sat down.
          “You don’t need to do anything,Mercedes,” he said. “You’re trying to take Lace’s place already, trying to fillhis shoes. You don’t ever have to do that, no one ever has to. No one ever can.Lace was Lace; no one will be enough like him to replace him, not even you. Oneperson cannot replace another.”
          I blinked, and stared at Vincent. Ialmost never heard him say so much at once; I thought I might overdose on hisvoice.
          “…I’ve been thinking about him alot…”Vincent confessed, one of his hands sliding over the cot. “I can’t seem toget rid of his face…he’s everywhere.”
          “I smelled him on my pillow,” Mercedesconfessed. “And he hasn’t slept in my room with me for a long time. It’s likeit’s just embedded there or something…”
          Vincent’s arm went around my shoulder,and I leaned my head against him. His hand was playing with a few strands of myhair, they were tickling my shoulder.
          “Lace thought you were beautiful,”Vincent said. “He loved you, Mercedes. When he first saw you, I don’t thinkI’ve ever seen his eyes shine so much, not without tears in them.”
          I blushed.
          “How could someone as pretty as Laceyever see me as beautiful?”
          “You are,” Vincent reassured, and Ifelt a bit of that parent like quality coming into the scene. I sighed more, myhands resting between my legs, clasped together.
          “I never told Lacey I loved himenough,” I confessed. “I never said it enough, never showed it. I never calledhim anything but Lacey, as if he was just a friend…”
          I was shaking, crying. How had thiscome on so suddenly? I wasn’t sure, but Vincent took me into his arms and heldme, made me feel better.
          “Lace knew you loved him,” Vincentsaid. “He knew you loved him. And he loved you so much, more then I eventhought you could love your own flesh and blood.”
          I looked up at Vincent, and sighed.
          “I want to say good-bye again.”
          Vincent walked me back to Lacey’splot, let me stare down at the mound, at the headstone we had made and putthere ourselves. I saw no lights on in our house, knew my brothers weresleeping. Perhaps not peacefully, but at least sleeping. I knew Bo was in hishouse, avoiding us. He had always hated Lacey, but perhaps he hadn’t hated himenough to disrespect the dead.
          I sighed and locked my hands together,tried to keep my composure.
          “Good-bye, Lacey,” I whispered.“I…love you…more then you’ll know. I…miss you already…and I promise, I won’tlet anyone replace you, not now. Vincent…was right, you were…are you, and noone can change that.” I crouched down and brushed my hand over the dirt. Ithought I smelt Lacey’s sweet scent. “I love you, you were perfect to me…”
~Fin~
o.O No idea. Boredom. Noreal story line, Lace just randomly died. I never said it, but he got sick.Mercedes is a “child” of Lace and Vincent, they “adopted” him in a way. Kind ofodd, when I get the official story line about him down, I’ll write it. This isjust a quickie, not really how Lace’s life ends…or maybe it is. You never know.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment