Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Hist. essay

no need bother

Chapter 1 - Hist. essay

Chapter 1 - Hist. essay
1. WWI started partly because of nationalism, militarism and imperialism. WWI was started because everyone thought that they were the best, nationalism, everyone got war materials, militarism, and everyone was putting their rule over others, Imperialism. There were two groups of countries, The Triple Alliance (Austria Hungary, Germany, Italy and the Ottoman Empire) and The Triple Entente (Serbia, Russia, France and Great Britain). They created these Alliances to protect their interests plus if one country was attacked the other countries in that group would help them. This war could have been prevented if people didn't go straight into war by having diplomacy and if no one had been clearly preparing for war.

2. At the beginning of WWI, The United States did not want to have anything to do with an European war. In fact Woodrow Wilson won his re-election with the slogan, “He kept us out of the war”. I think that it was our own fault that we joined the war because Germany warned us that they would sink any ship that wasn’t their own on sight in the Mediterranean, but we sent passenger and merchant ships over there anyway. It’s like having someone tell you to not eat something because it’s poisonous but eating it anyway, we were asking for it. At least they warned us but we got upset because they sunk the Lusitania that we sent over, after they clearly warned us. We shouldn’t blame Germany we should blame the person who sent them over. The people who were spreading propaganda that made us angry at Germany should have been pointing their fingers at the one who sent the ships over. To me it would make sense to have someone over there to stop us from attacking them because of something that was our own doing. The Zimmerman note should have been a warning not to get in the war and to stay out. Also they added that they would help Mexico win back the lands they lost as a compromise that also makes sense. However this letter angered Americans so they pushed the government to join the war. Because of all of this the Sedition act and the Espionage Act were passed which limits freedom of speech.

3. Woodrow Wilson had a great idea for peace that probably would have prevented WWII. It was called the Fourteen Points. However, the only point of Wilson’s 14 point plan that was actually part of The Treaty of Versailles was the formation of League of Nations. The original ideas would have eliminated the many causes of the U.S. joining the war and the war starting. He had great ideas of preventing this from happening in the future. The Germans liked The Fourteen Points (but not The Treaty of Versailles*) unfortunately the Senate did not. The fourteen points: open covenants of peace, freedom of the seas, equality of trade, adequate guarantees, adjustment of property, independent polish state should be made, and the formation of The League Of Nations. Disarmament and freedom of the seas ruled out the possibility of militarism. Equality of trade mostly eliminated imperialism and the League of Nations made diplomacy possible.

*The Treaty of Versailles made Germany responsible for paying for the war.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment