Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Only Human

The Matrix is a lie in a lie, the programs are humans, the rebels are Agents. And Smith needs to be told he's The One by a certain Agent Neo...

Chapter 1 - Only Human

Chapter 1 - Only Human
Only Human

Agent Smith ran down the empty road. Tripping as he ran through a puddle. Around him was what was once a busy city, filled with disgusting load humans. But now it was nothing more but a deserted concrete jungle. The buildings stood tall, and the cars still were parked, but there was no one there. Except for Smith. Rain came from the Matrix sky, and lighting and thunder broke the silence. Smith kept running. He panted and panted, but still ran as fast as he could. The rain dripped onto his shades, and his suite was wet. He didn't notice, he just kept running. He fell onto the wet road, his shades fell off and broke in two. He looked at them for only a moment, and quickly lifted himself up and ran. His legs started to hurt, and he had cramps. He wondered for only a second why. He was a program, he shouldn't get so tired so easily. He almost slipped on the road, and clumsily started to run again. He was breathing harder now. Heaving almost, his muscles started to ache, and his vision blurred. He still kept running.

"Run."

He heard from all directions. Fear started to strike him. He ran in the abandon city, which only the night before was filled with humans. He looked at all sides, trying to find the cause of the voice.

"Run. If you think that will make a difference."

The voice came again from all directions, it was as loud as the thunder from the sky. It echoed through the empty streets. The only other voice was Smith's quiet screams. He panted, as his heart pumped and his body ached. He felt as if his entire body weighed a ton. He kept running.

" That's it. Just run."

The voice grew even louder now. Smith looked in all directions, but saw nothing. He was scared now. He didn't know what was happening. A feeling that made him feel weak. He grew disoriented, looking in all directions. His muscles ached, his heart pumped, his breathes heaved, and his legs felt like they were going to explode. He didn't know what was happening. This had never happened before. He had never felt this. He had never felt so tired, so confused, so weak, so human. He finally collapsed on the road, face first. He closed his eyes, and didn't want to see what was happening. The rain fell on him, and it hurt. He buried his head in his arms, like it would make a difference. Fear consumed him. He thought of the coming terror, he closed his eyes harder. Then he pasted out from exhaustion.

Smith felt something softly kicking him on the shoulder. His head still in his arms, he slowly opened his eyes. He was unsure what happened. He was weak, and couldn't move. Then he remembered he was running. It hit him, and he jolted covering his body. Something still continued to kick him softly. He was too scared to look up. It took him a minute to get the strength to look at what was kicking him. Slowly his head rose to see, himself staring right back at him. He looked farther, and saw the entire street was filled with himself. At first Smith was relieved to see his copies. But then he noticed, they didn't look right. Fear struck him once more. The copies didn't move, but merely stared at him. It was enough to make Smith terrified again. He huddled up, leaving his eyes open.

"Goodbye Mr. Smith."

The one said that had been kicking him. Smith froze in horror. What was happening, he kept asking himself. He soon wanted to run, but his body didn't move. He watched as the one copy that stood in front of him pulled out a gun. His eyes widened, he stared at the gun, then at his copy. The copy only grinned, and fired the gun.

Smith went to a place. He drifted into nothingness. His body weightless, as he floated around. He felt no more pain. No more fear. He bobbed his head, and opened his eyes. He smiled. He drifted into nothingness. And then something happened. A bright light showed threw the darkness. Hit hurt to look at it. And the light took over the darkness. And Smith felt pain again. His body ached again, as he threw out his arms and legs and screamed in pain. The light consumed everything. And Smith woke up on the empty street once again.

He laid on his back, the rain falling on his face. His mouth was slightly open. And all the pain came back. He couldn't move. He couldn't really breathe. He laid there, asking questions to himself. What has happened? Why am I here? Did I die? Why do I feel so weak? The same questions, over and over and over. His head began to hurt, and his vision blurred again. It hurt to breathe. And it hurt to blink. Smith was so weak.

"Get up."

The same voice from before. It came from everywhere. Smith was too tired to care. Whatever it was, let it come. Let it take the pain away. He thought.

"I said get up."

Smith ignored it, and tried to do the same with his pain. He closed his eyes, and tried to drift away.

"I said GET UP, Smith."

Smith ignored it.

"GET UP!"

The voice was so loud it hurt Smith's ears. He jolted up without even realizing it. He panted, as he slowly looked around. The city still quiet. Not one human. Smith had time to wonder why. He just blanked out for a moment and they were gone. They he wondered why he blanked out. Why he felt so much pain. And fear came back. Smith looked around, panicking. His eyes saw something down the road. His eyes widened, and his mouth opened. He froze in horror, and his heart stopped.

"Mr. . . Mr. And. . . Anderson?"

He asked in a quiet weak voice. He couldn't believe it. Mr. Anderson stood on the other side of the road. Smith panted at the sight. His back slouched down, and he couldn't move. Mr. Anderson grinned, and started to walk slowly towards Smith. His footsteps made echoes. It sent chills down Smith's spine. Smith wanted to run. He was too weak to fight, to weak to do anything. He just couldn't move. He could see his reflection in Mr. Anderson's shades now. He saw the fear in his eyes. It just made him more scared. Mr. Anderson stopped only inches away from Smith. Mr. Anderson didn't move, but simply stood there and stared. Smith started to shake. He didn't know if it was from the cold or the fear. He didn't like the feeling. He was never supposed to feel like this. He was Smith. But now he was just so weak.

"You're scared." Mr. Anderson said.

Smith stood there, Mr. Anderson hovering over him.

"Can you see it Mr. Smith? The fear in your eyes? Such a human emotion, isn't it? I'm sure you don't like it at all."

Smith was terrified. Mr. Anderson grinned.

"You can't move. Your body aches. Your head is throbbing. Your heart is pumping. And you are scared. So human."

Smith was terrified.

"These are imperfections, Mr. Smith. Inefficient, irrelevant feelings, and imperfections. Causing the system to slow down. You make your copies and thrive in the Matrix. And you become a virus"

Smith starred into Mr. Anderson's dark shades.

"But I suppose I can count on these imperfections."

Mr. Anderson started to circle Smith.

"You are after all. . .Only human."

Smith's heart stopped.

"Only human." Mr. Anderson repeated.

Smith fell to his knees. What did Mr. Anderson say? He asked.

"You're lying." Smith said weakly.

"I am not, you human."

"You are the imperfection. You are the human! You are the virus!" Smith yelled in anger.

"I am not, you human."

"No, no, no."

"Even now your head fills with emotions. Don't you see Mr. Smith? This whole world is a lie. I am the Agent, and you "Programs" are the viruses, the humans. This whole world is a lie in a lie. "

Smith fell silent. He was terrified. He was confused. He was in denial. Mr. Anderson only grinned.

"Only human." Mr. Anderson said. "Only human."

"Please, no."

" You see, Mr. Smith. Some humans were too strong for the system. They would become free. So to correct this we made those humans into programs inside the Matrix. And we became the rebels."

Questions filled Smith's head. So many questions, so much confusion. Things Smith had never felt before. He was the program. He told himself. But he knew it was a lie. All the programs were the humans. The rebels were the programs. It was all a lie in a lie. Smith was only human.

"Only. Human." Mr. Anderson said.

"No!"

Smith looked down, eyes wide and panting. So much. He looked up at Mr. Anderson. And backed down. He looked back up, and a Sentential stared at him, only an inch from his face. He stared at the red eyes. He had never seen them in person. He could still see his reflection in the glass. Smith panted. He got up and ran. The machine of course faster. It was futile trying to escape. Smith knew that, but he still ran. He turned a street corner, and saw the machine in front of him. He was in shock. The machine grabbed his neck, and lifted him off the ground. Lightning struck the Matrix sky. Rain fell, and the streets were empty. A newspaper flew by, and a street light flickered. Smith choked and gagged. He watched as the Sentential transformed into Mr. Anderson. Mr. Anderson held Smith high in the air. He grinned.

"My name is Agent Neo." He whispered to Smith.

Smith grabbed Neo's hands, trying to free himself. He failed. His hands fell to his sides, he stopped struggling. He stared at Agent Neo. He couldn't see the program's eyes. They were masked by the dark sunglasses, just as his were. Agent Neo grinned, and started to silently laugh. He squeezed Smith's neck harder, and started to laugh louder. All was going black for Smith.

"Only human." Agent Neo said.

All was darkness for Smith. And he drifted away.

Something was down his throat. Something was pushing on his face. He opened his eyes. And saw these plugs in him. He tried to get away. He waved his arms. And finally started to push up. The red goo around him was hard to get out of. It felt like a cocoon was wrapped around him. He lifted with all his strength, and got his head out. He stood up, and pulled the thing from down he throat. He started vomiting. He coughed and coughed. Wiped his face, and pushed his eyes. His body ached, his muscles hurt. He couldn't really breathe. He fell onto the side of whatever he was in. He panted and looked up. Red pods. Everywhere. Then he remembered what had happened. And fear consumed him once more. The Matrix. Only human. Programs. All rushed through his head. A machine came up. Grabbed his neck.

"Only human." It said in a crackling voice.

And he blacked out again.

A light was in his eyes, and he couldn't see. It hurt to move, as he slightly moved his head.

"Welcome to the Real World."

Smith then realized he was free. Truly. Free.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment