Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Anthony Rapp

Just something I had to write for school

Chapter 1 - Anthony Rapp

Chapter 1 - Anthony Rapp
Anthony Rapp

When I think of someone who has made an impact, I automatically think of Anthony Rapp. Anthony has done so many things in his thirty-six years on this earth. He's opened the hearts and minds of many people, especially me. I could not think of anyone I'd like to inform you all about more than Anthony Rapp.
Rapp was born in Chicago, Illinois on October 2th, 1971. He grew up in Joliet with his mother Mary, sister Anne, brother Adam, and honorary little sister Rachael. Anthony went to Michigan Interlochen Arts Academy, where he also teaches classes, however his first experience on stage was when he played the Cowardly Lion in a musical stage production of L. Frank Baum's The Wizard Of Oz at age six. He also performed in other notable musicals such as Oliver! and The Little Prince And The Aviator when he was younger. Rapp also takes the stage in productions such as Precious Sons, Six Degrees Of Separation, Trafficking in Broken Hearts, RENT, You're A Good Man Charlie Brown, Henry V, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Little Shop Of Horrors, and Feeling Electric, as well as staring in his brother Adam Rapp's one-man show.
He currently lives with his life partner, Rodney To, in New York City. Anthony and Rodney have three cats, Emma, Spike, and Sebastian. Rapp and To are looking to adopt a child. They also want to get married as soon as it is legalized in New York, or go somewhere where their marriage will be reconized everywhere.
In 1987, Rapp made his first appearance on the silver screen in the Chris Columbus film Adventures In Babysitting. This may have been his first film, but it was certainly not his last. Anthony also acted in Grave Secrets, Far From Home, School Ties, Dazed and Confused, Six Degrees of Seperation, The Mantis Murder, Twister, David Searching, Man Of The Century, Road Trip, Cruise Control, A Beautiful Mind, Paradisco, Open House, Winter Passing, RENT, Danny Roane: First Time Director, Scaring The Fish, Two Brothers and Let Them Chirp Awhile. Rapp also takes to the not-so-sliver screen in television. He appeared on Sky High, The X-Files, The Beach Boys - An American Family, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Kidnapped, Assault at West Point: The Court-Martial of Johnson Whittaker, and The Lazarus Man. He can also be seen in episodes of Tom Green Live!, Starz On The Set: RENT, The Tony Danza Show, No Day But Today; The Story Of RENT, QTN Holiday Reel, MTV & Logo present "The Out 100", The View, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, NBC News Today, Live With Regis and Kathy Lee, The 53rd Annual Tony Awards, An Affair To Remember, and The Rosie O'Donald Show. Rapp also hosted In The Life, and 11th Annual Ribbon Of Hope Celebration.
Anthony Rapp fronts alternative-pop band Albinokid. He release the album Look Around. Though this album features each member of Albinokid, it was released under Anthony's name only, leaving some confusion to the band that played with him. However, if you do some digging you will indeed find out that it's Albinokid.
In 2006, Rapp released his book Without You: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and the Musical RENT. Without You, as it is often called by Rapp in interviews, is a look into Anthony's personal world. It tells of his life in RENT, as well as his personal struggles. Many things about RENT writer Jonathan Larson are mentioned. Anthony also lets us under his skin, telling us about the trials he faced with his Mother's death, and even the little things like past relationships.
Despite Anthony's many talents and releases, he is best known for being the first person to ever grace the stage as Mark Cohen in Jonathan Larson's RENT. Rapp, of course, reprises his role as Mark in the 2005 film version of Larson's play. The film was directed by Chris Columbus, the same director who casted Anthony in Adventures In Babysitting all those years back. Since the beginning of the show, there have been many Mark Cohens, however Anthony is the original. He was the first person to play Cohen in the workshop version of Larson's modern twist on La Boheme, and opera by Puccini. This key factor has made Rapp RENT's unofficial spokesman.
Not only is Rapp a musician, author, actor, and teacher, but he is also an activist for many causes. Rapp is a major supporter of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered community. Anthony does many charity performances for LGBT causes, and is openly gay in his work despite what others may think. At one charity before he performed his original song "Living Alive", Rapp said "Lables are for cans, not people. There's only one you for all time, don't let others cause it to wither away." Quotes such as that are the reasons Anthony Rapp has inspired many in his time. Anthony supports Friends In Deed, as well as other HIV and AIDS organizations, along with the many LGBT ones. Rapp is a vegan, and a member of the group PeTA.
Anthony, unlike other celebrities, uses the limelight for good. Since Rapp has been a part of so many famous plays, films, and shows, many people know of him, and he uses it to draw attention to worthy causes. I think that is what inspires me most about Anthony, he has so much devotion, and so much will to make a change in our society. I can honestly say that Anthony Rapp is my idol. There is no doubt in my heart and mind that Rapp has made an amazing impact.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment