Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - Vol 3: Investigation

Dissidia Academy: A predigious school for the ambitious and talented, where students strive to accomplish their goals and dreams.

Follow the heroes of Final Fantasy as they tackle the many challenges and tribulations that await them throughout the eventful academic year!

Chapter 9 - Vol 3: Investigation

Chapter 9 - Vol 3: Investigation
"I-I … I didn't do it!"
Zidane took a step back, his body uncontrollably shaking in terror.
"I swear to you … this wasn't my doing!" He yelled out in a sheer panic, pleading that Onion Knight and Terra would believe him.
In retaliation, Onion Knight took a cautious step forward. His intense gaze refused to deviate from Zidane, feeling the suffocating tension in the air. Zidane glanced over toward Terra and the unconscious Rydia, before switching back to Onion Knight with fear draining the colour from his face.
“You’ve … got to believe me.” He begged in a whimper, acting as though he was on his last moment alive. “…Please.”
With his expression growing tense, Onion Knight took in a deep breath so he could recompose himself.
Thinking the situation through, he wished he could believe his classmate. Zidane was known throughout the Academy as a cheeky delinquent and trickster, yet there had never been a time where his petty pranks would purposely harm a victim – at least, not to Onion Knight’s knowledge.
Ultimately, questions would need to be answered, regardless of Zidane’s pleading to be ‘innocent’ in the eyes of the public. There need to be an alibi, otherwise the consequences will fall on the yellow-tailed thief.
"I cannot simply let you go, Zidane." Onion Knight sorrowfully shook his head, glancing around the entirety of the room as he spoke. "Regardless of your innocence, you are a key witness. You need to tell me everything about the incident from your point of view."
Zidane froze up, sweat forming from his forehead whist anxiously taking in a breath.
"I … I got here not long before you guys did." Zidane desperately began to explain, his body entirely shaken up. "I heard a crash! I heard a scream and I-!"
Step-step-step-step…!
"What's going on here!?"
Zidane was then interrupted by a loud, commanding voice, causing every conscious student in the room to jump up in fright.
Onion Knight swiftly span round to face the new arrival. Although he acted surprised, he knew exactly who owned that voice – much to his displeasure.
As he met the gaze of the new onlooker, Onion Knight could only scowl in bitterness as his body tensed up.
Warrior of Light stood at the open door, his gaze left wide open with horror. He scanned the entirety of the room, taking in the extent of the incident to the miniscule detail. He was left speechless, sick to his stomach at the deplorable sight before him.
Onion Knight hastily glanced at Zidane, who had stood frozen in fear at the sight of Warrior of Light. The beads of sweat were now a waterfall, his mouth trembling as he realised his chances of leaving the room as an innocent man was next-to-nothing.
Onion Knight then switched to Terra, who continued to cradle the unconscious Rydia in her arms, tending to her wounds – particularly the blood trickling from on her head.
The atmosphere was cold and silent, the breeze from the smashed window creeping in like a curious ghost. Shivers crawled up their spines, setting the severity of the situation.
Onion Knight couldn't think at all, with the inclusion of Warrior of Light's unexpected appearance … everything for Zidane was about to become ever-so worse. He was desperate to find a solution, one that would resolve the impending disaster that would soon fall on them.
Finally, however unpleasantly, Warrior of Light was the first to break the silence.
"What’ve you done to that girl, Zidane!?" Warrior of Light bellowed out in absolute disgust, eyes locked onto Zidane like daggers prepared to strike. "What were you trying to steal from her that made you commit such a heinous act!?"
"W-wait! You've got it all wrong, Light!" Zidane pleaded back, stuttering and shaking violently as ever. "I would never-!"
"She's missing a valuable Hairpiece; something that she would always wear wherever she goes." Onion Knight regretfully analysed, remembering the times he had seen Rydia hanging around in the Academy. "The only time I would suspect she wouldn't wear it is during P.E. or at home. Even then, jewellery of such value would certainly be kept somewhere safe and secured.”
Zidane watched Onion Knight with a terrified expression, not knowing how to defend himself from the sudden influx of allegations.
“To see her in such a condition – and with the room in a damaged state, no less – it is more than likely that there was resistance between the 'culprit' and the ‘victim’ before the final blow was executed. The victim was knocked unconscious … and the jewellery was promptly stolen."
Warrior of Light nodded in silence, taking in what Onion Knight had stated whilst continuing to glare at Zidane with further detest. It was apparent that he had already made up his mind.
Just then, another student appeared from behind Warrior of Light, hearing the commotion from the distance.
“There seems to be quite the commotion over here…”
It was Firion.
At first, he was oblivious to the situation, showing off a playful curiosity as he wondered why his classmates where gathered in the room. However, he quickly realised what had occurred, dropping his façade in an instant as he looked on in sudden shock.
Warrior of Light swiftly turned to Firion with a serious expression, holding a strong resolve as he finally took necessary action.
"Firion, I need you to get assistance from the Medical Room.” Warrior of Light demanded calmly, keeping a cool mind as he spoke. “Whoever is in charge over there, inform them that an incident has occurred in Math Room 4 – and be quick about it!”
Without hesitation, Firion gave a firm nod and rushed off to the stairs, passing oblivious students without so much of an acknowledgment. As Firion disappeared down the staircase, Warrior of Light directed his attention back to the scene of the incident.
This time, his attention was directly on Onion Knight, temporarily dowsing any resentment for the boy in order to cooperate.
"Onion Knight, once Firion returns, I need you to locate the Headmistress and inform her of the situation – and preferably direct her to this room, if possible." Warrior of Light commanded. "For now, though, please close off this room from the rest of the Academy – the last thing we need would be a spreading commotion from the other students.”
Onion Knight nodded compliantly, not speaking a word.
“Thankfully, this room should be empty for the rest of the day.” Warrior of Light then sighed, feeling somewhat relieved. “It’ll be free for thorough investigation.”
"Wait, then ... what’ll be you’re plan?" Onion Knight questioned as he came to an odd realisation. "In a situation like this, I’d expect you to be the one to grab the Headmistress."
There was a moment of silence, Warrior of Light glaring at a cautious Onion Knight before expressing his answer.
“Normally that would be the case...” He admittedly nodded at first. “However, there’s something that I should have done since the first day of the Semester…”
As he spoke, his piercing glare was set on Zidane.
"…and detain the Thief."
““You're going to … WHAT!?!?””
Onion Knight and Zidane yelled out in abrupt shock and despair.
BANG!
It was all over in a flash.
Warrior of Light immediately charged over to Zidane, sending him to the ground in one swift swoop. Ensuring that no window shards were near Zidane as he struck the floor, Warrior of Light detained his fellow classmate with a firm grasp of his wrists and a locked down position.
"You won't get away from me this time, you piece of filth!" Warrior of Light growled in disgust, gaining control of the two as he forced Zidane back to his feet.
"Hold on, President! We're still unsure if Zidane’s the culprit to this whole mess!" Onion Knight desperately objected, finding Warrior of Light actions entirely absurd. "We should at least hear what he has to say before forcing such actions."
"He's called Zidane the Thief for a reason!" Warrior of Light firmly argued back, shifting Zidane towards the door in the process. "Stealing is his specialty – that’s an undebatable fact! If he had the chance, I'm sure he’d place the blame on Bartz and escape with his tail between his legs!”
His tone then lowered to a haunting degree, showing no remorse in his decision.
“But not this time … this time he'll be locked up in the Detention Room for questioning.” He growled intimidatingly, tensing his grip on the silent Zidane. “And soon … he'll finally be kicked out of the Academy with his reputation in ruins."
The moment the last sentence was stated, Zidane's gaze erupted with terror and despair.
"No, Light! Please! You have to understand!" Zidane suddenly resisted, frantically flailing about to release himself from Warrior of Light’s unbreakable grasp. "I didn't-!"
"THAT’S ENOUGH!" Warrior of Light abruptly bellowed, his eyes flaring with fury. "You’ll NEVER call me by that nickname!"
Onion Knight could only watch as Zidane was taken away by Warrior of Light's, failing to break free. There was nothing he could do at this point, feeling ultimately defeated.
Before they disappeared, Onion Knight caught a glimpse of Zidane's final expression: He was mortified.
Onion Knight gave out a loud groan, soothing his head as though he was trying to get rid of a migraine. He then turned to Terra – who had been keeping strong pressure against Rydia's head injury.
To his surprise, Terra's expression was something he had rarely seen from her: a combination of sadness and regret.
"Do you really believe that Zidane’s the culprit?" Terra hesitantly questioned, her eyes serious and pure as she gazed back at him. "I mean, seeing his reaction and everything … is it really true?"
"Zidane was the only person in the room when we discovered the crime scene. It's no surprise that he's at least a suspect." Onion Knight analysed with certainty, although showing hints of hesitancy. "It doesn't help either that he has a proven record of past mischievous antics."
"But it doesn’t seem reasonable. Zidane wouldn’t just go so far just to steal a piece of jewellery. That’s not like him at all." Terra instantly rebutted, her seriousness brimming from her expression. "I've seen Zidane do some mischievous acts in the past, but he’s always been considerate and has never gone beyond playful banter.”
Onion Knight fell silent as he gathered his thoughts, his brow raised at the surprise of hearing Terra’s statement.
He considered her argument, agreeing to the fact that Zidane would not go as far as intentionally injuring someone for the sake of stealing – based on the normal circumstances. If injuries did occur … he would no doubt show guilt and apologise – such as the situation with Sephiroth during the Great Globe Incident.
Onion Knight’s gaze wondered around the room, continuously searching for any kind of clue to help the case. To his dismay, there was nothing else aside from the obvious – meaning he would need to investigate to the smallest detail.
Unfortunately, with Rydia’s safety and wellbeing set as the priority, his time was overwhelmingly limited.
The Lunch Bell will sound off at any moment…
Much to his frustration, Onion Knight would have to do as Warrior of Light requested before assembling further investigations. Hs mind was at light speed, imagining potential plans he could execute before the allotted time would run out.
He switched back round to Terra, his gaze set with determination.
"If we're going to find out the truth behind this incident, we’ll have to structure a plan-of-action." Onion Knight began to explain to her, feeling adamant to find the truth. "Once Rydia is safe in the Medical Room and this room is fully closed off from the public, we'll join with the rest of our class for the upcoming lesson."
"But, wouldn't that mean abandoning the crime scene and the investigation entirely?" Terra wondered with concern, biting her lip in the process as she cradled the unconscious Rydia in her arms. "We can't just walk away!"
"There’s no need to worry. It’ll only be a temporary setback." Onion Knight assured with certainty, understanding Terra's worry. "As soon as the lesson ends, we'll return here and fully investigate the room.”
Terra listened on in silence.
“Admittedly, it’ll be difficult.” He then continued. “By the time we get back: The Headmistress, other members of the Student Council, and possibly the public services would also be investigating the scene. We may end up being turned away."
As she glanced down towards Rydia, a question of uncertainty formed in Terra’s mind.
"But … how are we going to convince both the Headmistress and the Student Council that Zidane is innocent?" Terra cautiously asked, thinking the situation through. "By the time we get back, rumours of the events would have already spread across the Academy.”
Onion Knight drew in a deep sigh, raising his head and crossing his arms as he wondered the depths of his mind.
"True … I was wondering about that myself." Onion Knight spoke out, trying to solve the problems at hand. "Consulting the Headmistress wouldn't be too much of a problem, but the rest of the Student Council will certainly be tough – especially Warrior of Light."
Dipping his head, Onion Knight glanced towards Terra, desperately attempting to figure out how to pass the obstacle.
However, in the end, he only let out a small shrug.
“We'll continue as we were told … at least, for the time being." Onion Knight sighed in defeat, deciding not to waste any more precious time. "I'll stand in front of the door and wait for the Medical Staff to arrive. In the meantime, you can continue managing Rydia's injury."
Terra gave a determined nod, accepting her current role.
Satisfied, Onion Knight turned and stepped outside of the room, securing the scene of the incident from the rest of the Academy. Closing the door almost entirely – with a small gap so he could communicate with Terra, he watched on for any signs of Firion or the Headmistress.
Drring…! Drring…!
Only a minute after Onion Knight stood guard, the Academy's bell rang throughout the halls.
He drew in a deep breath, expecting for a plethora of students to appear from the corner at any given moment. Praying for the Headmistress to arrive soon, he held up a firm stance.
As expected, Students began to flood from the staircase, gossiping and chatting away without a care in the world. Many walked past Onion Knight, most of them completely ignoring him as he continued to stand in front of the room. There were a few who noticed him awkwardly standing at the door, glancing oddly in his direction before continuing with their own business.
And then, Onion Knight caught notice of his fellow classmates appearing from the staircase.
Cloud Strife, Squall Leonhart and Tidus appeared as a three-man group: Tidus had taken the lead as he constantly ranted away. Behind him, Cloud and Squall seemed equally bored out of their minds, wishing there was an end to his non-stop chatter. Between them, Squall had fallen into a very gloomy expression, whilst Cloud seemed to be close to nodding off – something that was the norm for them.
“Ah!”
Abruptly, Tidus spotted Onion Knight and immediately rushed over to him – much to Onion Knight's sudden displeasure. He was one of the few people Onion Knight truly did not wish to meet at this moment in time, knowing it was wishful thinking that Tidus would leave him be no matter how he tried to avoid conversation.
Cloud and Squall decided to follow Tidus, hoping Onion Knight would be a fresh cast of sanity.
Onion Knight hastily took a swift peek through the gap of the room behind him, checking on Terra and Rydia whilst he still had the chance. As he confirmed they were safe, he closed the door completely and switched back to the trio.
“Hey man!”
“Wha-!?”
To his abrupt shock, Tidus had loomed over him with a cheesy, obnoxious smile.
A shiver ran down Onion Knights spine, feeling a sudden sense of claustrophobia. This was further impacted by Cloud and Squall as they stood either side of Tidus, enclosing the young Onion Knight into a minuscule, cornered space. With Cloud's drained expression on the left, Squall's gloomy expression on the right, and Tidus' hyperactive expression at the centre: Onion Knight was left struggling to breathe.
"What's up, Onion Knight?" Tidus innocently greeted him, his cheesy grin as large as his enthusiasm.
With his back flat against the door, sweat began to break from the skin of his forehead.
"I-I'm fine!" Onion Knight stuttered, unable to hide his hyperventilation. "I-is it possible for you to … t-take a step back?"
"Oh? How come?" Tidus asked back in surprise, unable to grasp the reason behind Onion Knight's request.
Onion Knight gulped, anxiously clearing his throat.
"I-it’s just that…" He then struggled to answer, failing to form his words as the tension of his surrounding classmates loomed over him.
His mind, on the other hand, began to call out in frustration:
Please don't make me say it…!
“‘It's just…’ what?” Tidus obliviously echoed, showing confusion in the matter.
"Well, I…" Onion Knight muttered almost inaudibly, his legs shaking whilst he felt the world began to collapse around him.
Just get the hint already!
Unlike Tidus, Cloud suddenly snapped back to reality from his daze and realized Onion Knight's crippling dilemma, nudging Tidus as he took a necessary step back. Squall – glancing over to Cloud with a confused expression, at first – decided to follow his action and give Onion Knight some space.
On the other hand, Tidus did the exact opposite.
"Also, why are you standing here? The classroom for our Food-Tech lesson is across the other side of the corridor!" Tidus pursued to question, abruptly shuffling forward towards Onion Knight. "Is there something happening on the other side of this room?"
I'M GOING TO SAY IT!
Onion Knight's thoughts cried out in agony, desperate to break free.
"Please, just...!"
"Uh, Tidus…" Cloud called to his friend with caution, noticing that Tidus was oblivious to the situation he was causing.
"Huh? What's the matter?" Tidus wondered and he glanced back.
But it was too late.
"IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR YOU TO BACK OFF!?” Onion Knight abruptly roared, his mind completely snapped. "I CAN’T BREATHE WITH YOU TOWERING OVER ME LIKE THAT! DO YOU EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF ‘PERSONAL SPACE’, YOU DENSE FOOL!?"
Tidus leapt back in fright.
Around them, passing students suddenly glanced over to them with a curiosity, wondering what was causing such a commotion. With such an outburst, many assumed a fight between students was soon to break out.
DAMN! I said it! I said it! I SAID IT!
Onion Knight cursed himself over-and-over in a constant loop, feeling to pits of despair for admitting his height complex. The numerous eyes that gazed upon them intensified, all now growing curious of the sudden event.
"I-I'm sorry, Onion Knight." Tidus innocently apologized, showing off a sorrowful expression. "I didn't mean to trip you out."
"N-no … don't worry about that, you didn't know." Onion Knight hastily answered back in an anxious stutter, feeling a desperate need to deflate the situation before rumours were to spread.
However, his mind still held an inkling of malice:
Yes, don't worry ... I'll kill you in your sleep…
"Is something wrong out there, Onion Knight?" Terra then called out in curiosity, having heard his sudden outburst. “Also, did I hear Tidus just now?”
"Huh? Hey! Is that Terra in there?” Tidus gasped out in surprise, trying to sneak another peek into the room. “What's going on?"
"Erk!? D-don't concern yourself with what she's doing!” Onion Knight quickly snapped, desperately attempting to deter Tidus from catching a glance of the situation. “She's … just treating someone at the moment."
“She’s … treating someone?” Tidus echoed in vacant wonder.
Feeling his own curiosity growing, Cloud decided to pursue Onion Knight on the situation.
"So, let me get this straight: you’re standing here because someone’s gone and injured themselves?" Cloud casually summarised.
“…Yeah, that’s about right.” Onion Knight mumbled in a low sigh, feeling caught in a corner.
Straightening up his posture, Onion Knight begrudgingly gave in. He decided to reveal the situation as quick and simple as he possibly could, informing the trio on a mild level – avoiding a few details for confidentiality reasons. He specifically opted to avoid mentioning the identity of the victim – aside from her gender – and the student that was apprehended at the scene.
Finally, Onion Knight requested the trio keep the information to themselves for the foreseeable future.
"That's horrible…!" Cloud gasped in shock, horrified to hear such an incident occur. “Is she going to be okay?”
"Ahh, I'm sure she'll be fine! I bet you that she's a real trooper!" Tidus cheerfully laughed off, holding a positive vibe for the sake of lightening the mood.
Cloud and Onion Knight returned an anxious smile, appreciating his never-ending beaming grin for once.
On the other hand, Squall refused to share the sentiment, rolling his eyes in mental agony.
"Tsk…! Whatever..." He muttered with an arrogant tut, lacking in the sympathy shared by the other three. “I'm sure the culprit will get what he deserves … it'll save me further headaches in the future, anyway.”
…Eh?
Onion Knight froze in a sudden jolt, his expression dropped in an instant.
Hold up … he knew Zidane was involved!?
Onion Knight's struggled to comprehend the new revelation, his thoughts wild and unreasonable.
But … how!? How did he know!?
Just then – as if perfectly timed – four members of the Medical Staff appeared, carrying bags and cases of necessary medical equipment. Amongst said equipment included a stretcher to move Rydia securely to the Medical Room.
The four students stepped aside to allow leeway for the staff, Onion Knight even holding the door open for them to pass through.
In that moment, Firion appeared before Onion Knight, previously following the Medical Staff from behind after directing them to the room. The two nodded to one another, fulfilling their tasks as requested. They then stood next to each other and waited for Rydia to be tended to.
The group of students watched as Terra assisted the unconscious Rydia’s safe move from the room, her expression still sick with worry for her friend.
Firion then checked the time, flicking his wrist to glance at his watch.
"Aren't you guys supposed to be in class right now?" Firion questioned his additional three classmates. "I'm sure Food Tech has already started."
Onion Knight checked his own watch, only now remembering the time.
"Ah, man! Do we have to go!?" Tidus suddenly complained, as though hoping to find a way out what awaits them. "This looks so much more interesting!"
"You idiot, this isn't some simple entertainment." Squall responded in disgust, reminding Tidus how severe the situation is. “Read the atmosphere for once.”
"I know, I know!" Tidus sighed back in a mixture of frustration and sorrow, looking down on himself. "I just felt like skipping Food Tech, you know."
Cloud looked on to Onion Knight and Firion, “What are you guys going to do?”
Hearing this, the three Class 13A students directed their attention to Onion Knight and Firion – whilst also implying Terra based on Cloud’s wording.
Onion Knight and Firion glanced at one another, wondering to themselves what was to be done from here. The investigation took priority, that was for certain. Anything else – Food Tech included – would need to be placed on the backburner.
The thought of missing a class was painful for Onion Knight and Firion. Their perfect attendance for the foreseeable semester would never be the same.
However, this case was a necessary exception.
"We'll join the class once we’re done here.” Onion Knight finally answered, keeping a determined mind. "It’d be great if you could inform the teacher."
"Fine by me." Cloud coolly accepted. "We'll make sure she understands the situation."
With that, the three classmates began to make their way towards the Food Tech room, Cloud leading the trio whilst dragging the pouty Tidus against his will. However, Squall halted his movement, seemingly acting as though there was something on his mind. He then glanced back to Onion Knight directly, his glare sharp and condescending.
"Onion Knight…" Squall called out to him in a low murmur. "Choose your friends wisely … you wouldn't want to end up with any odd-balls."
With that, Squall left them and followed the other two. The speechless Onion Knight watched him disappear with a suspicious expression, feeling a sense of rising caution in the air.
…He had to tread carefully around Squall from now on.
“I'll … update the Headmistress." Onion Knight warily stated, shaking his head to return to reality.
"Go on ahead, I'll hold down the fort." Firion nodded back, positioning himself at the door with a firm stance.
Onion Knight thanked him and hurriedly rushed up the staircase, praying that Headmistress Cosmos would still be in the Council Room – or at least in her Office by now. If not, the only other possibility of her whereabouts would be with Cid of the Lufaine.
Regardless, he was desperate to find her as soon as possible … even if it meant searching the entire Academy.
And then, the moment he reached the 5th Floor, he noticed Headmistress Cosmos rushing towards him in a controlled yet hasty pace.
"S-sorry for the delay – *huff … huff...* – I heard about the incident." Cosmos apologized through her exhausted panting, trying to regain her breath. "Is the Female Student safe?"
"She’s being treated by the Medical Staff and is currently on route to the Medical Room as we speak." Onion Knight explained with a serious nod, giving a confident expression.
Cosmos gave out a sigh of relief, “Thank goodness…”
Without the need for another word, Onion Knight lead the Headmistress back towards the room of the incident.
The moment they returned to the 4th Floor of the Academy, Cosmos and Onion Knight had entered the room. Firion followed behind them, glad to see them return so soon. However, he was also deep thought, his eyes wandering at the sight of the crime scene before them. During the short time he had guarded the door, he was able to claim a pair of latex rubber gloves.  
He began to investigate the Math Room, crouching close to the floor of where the incident took place and picked up possible evidence of the event that occurred not too long ago.
It was as though he was a true Detective.
During this time, Terra chose to stand out of the way, taking her time to recover from managing Rydia's injury and wellbeing. Taking a seat in the far-off corner of the room, she watched her two classmates and the Headmistress search the crime scene from tip-to-toe.
Onion Knight took in the scene at great detail, his mind analysing the many aspects to this whole ordeal and hoping for it all to make some sense.
Silence filled the room … until the Headmistress spoke her mind.
"Has the culprit been detained?" Cosmos turned to question the students, an evidence of concern breaking through her expression.
Onion Knight initially hesitated to speak out, wishing not to namedrop a fellow classmate without definitive proof that he was the true culprit.
For now, he decided to answer truthfully.
"Warrior of Light apprehended a possible suspect. Our … classmate: Zidane Tribal." Onion Knight admitted to her, expressing mixed feelings on how to approach the topic. "Terra and I had found him here facing an unconscious Rydia. There was … no one else in the room at the time we found them.”
Cosmos slowly nodded, "Was there any crucial details about the victim we should take into account? Injuries or anything that could enlighten the case?"
"She was found with a head injury from colliding against the wall after – what my guess was – some sort of conflict with the culprit.” Onion Knight recalled from memory. “She was also missing a Hairpiece that she usually wears in public."
Cosmos then fell silent, furrowing her brow as she came to terms with the situation.
Onion Knight switched over to Firion, who was preoccupied with taking photos of the scene. Through his reconnaissance, he took photo evidence of the broken window and the small, cracked blood mark on the wall, believing they were the key to finding out the truth. Additionally, Firion jotted down notes regarding details of the crime scene with a small notepad, breaking down the important facts whilst they were still fresh in his mind.
There was no doubt that he was prepared for everything.
"Have you found anything, Firion?" Onion Knight curiously called to him, noticing the level of focus he had on the investigation.
"Well … I found evidence that would certainly work against Zidane." Firion stated with certainty, causing Onion Knight to tense up in caution. "However, there's also evidence that contradicts Zidane as the culprit. In fact, it doesn’t make any sense with the knowledge we have on the situation at this point in time."
Onion Knight stared at him in confusion, "What do you mean by that?"
"There were a few strands of long brown hair found on the floor. No student involved in the incident has this hair colour, so that rules the possibility there may have been another person here at the time of the incident.” Firion openly explained, acknowledging Rydia, Zidane, Onion Knight and Terra as persons ‘involved’ with the incident.
As he continued, Firion placed the hair-strands in a small, clear-plastic pouch that emerged from his pocket.
"Also, if you look closely, there are small pieces of fabric caught on the shards of glass from the smashed window." he pointed out to Onion Knight and Headmistress Cosmos. “It’s clearly torn from a student’s blazer.”
"I see…" Onion Knight murmured with intrigue, squinting at the glass shards upon being directed by Firion. "So, how would this prove a complication in the what we know of the incident.”
Firion coolly smirked, as though he was proudly one step ahead of Onion Knight, "If you look closely, the direction of the torn fabric is facing as though the cloth was exiting the room instead on entering, meaning that the potential culprit had smashed the window during an escape."
"…Eh?"
Onion Knight, Cosmos, and even Terra were left in a state of confusion.
“Wait … but Zidane was still inside the room when we found him!” Onion Knight pointed out, further validating Firion’s position on the matter. “What about Rydia’s uniform? Maybe it’s possible that she hit the glass during the confrontation."
"See, that was what I first thought as well. However, I noticed her uniform was fully intact when the Medical staff tended to her." Firion quickly verified as he shook his head, showing no hesitation or uncertainty in his tone. "Taking that into account, the fabric on the window shards seemed far too unlikely to be a coincidence."
Onion Knight was left deep in thought, feeling as though more holes regarding the incident were continuing to appear by the second.
He then murmured to himself, "…The Hairpiece…"
Headmistress Cosmos caught his whisper, glancing over to him with a curious gaze.
“Would you like to speak your mind, Onion Knight?” She asked him.
Onion Knight nodded, a cast of confidence eclipsing him.
"When we found Zidane, there was no sign of a ‘Hairpiece’ in his possession. He had no bulky pockets, nor anything hidden in his hands.” He explained to them, remembering everything he could about the event. “Considering how swift Terra and I were when we reached the room, it would’ve been impossible for Zidane to hide the Ornament in time. Maybe he knows where it is, but … judging by his reaction when we found him, I think he only knows as much as we do right now."
A small moment of silence filled the room. All were deep in thought as the one vital question emerged in their minds.
Was Zidane truly the culprit?
CLAP!
Just then, Headmistress Cosmos abruptly clapped her hands together. Onion Knight, Firion, and Terra leapt up in sudden fright, returning to reality as the switched to the Headmistress.
"Well then, it seems a difficult ordeal has been brought upon us." Cosmos narrated in an upbeat tone, as if she were planning to speak out in riddles. “However, as much as it pains me to say: we won't be able to find our answers standing idle. We'll have to move this investigation up … to the 'next' level."
The students were left speechless, unable to grasp this sharp change of expression in Headmistress Cosmos’ approach.
Eventually, Onion Knight decided to break the silence.
"What do you have in mind, Headmistress?" He curiously asked her.
"I have an idea in mind that may help us solve the case." Cosmos proceeded to enlighten them, as cunning smirk forming from the corners of her mouth. "Given the current circumstances, I’ll need some time to prepare. I’ll have this room closed off from public access for now and will set up for an Academy Assembly."
"Is it a good idea to have an Assembly so soon?" Terra then questioned with concern as she approached the trio. “I don’t mean to step out of line, but … I’m just concerned we may accidentally spread misinformation.”
"Hm-hmm…! You don’t need to worry about that, Miss Branford.” The Headmistress assured her, showing an aura of playful confidence. “I’ll explain everything in due time. You three just worry about your lessons.”
Onion Knight, Firion, and Terra turned to each other in oblivious confusion.
However, they ultimately decided to place their trust in the Headmistress. The three followed her requested and prepared for their current lesson, retrieving all their belongings and proceeded to leave for Food Tech.
However, before he was about to step through the door, a small glimmer caught the corner of Onion Knight’s eye.
“Hm?”
He turned towards the direction of the glimmer. There – hidden underneath a nearby desk – Onion Knight noticed a miniscule shining object on the floor. He wondrously approached the desk and knelt before it, examining the object at a closer angel.
To his surprise, it was a red, crystallized jewel.
Without a moment of hesitation, he picked up the jewel at the cusp of his palm. Feeling conscious that he could lose it, he held it as securely as possible during his brief observation.
Was this part of Rydia’s Hairpiece…?
“Onion Knight! Are you coming?”
As he heard Terra’s voice call out to him from outside the room, Onion Knight carefully dropped the jewel into his Blazer pocket and left the room to join Terra and Firion.
 
Finally, upon reaching the Food Tech Room…
Onion Knight, Terra, and Firion immediately caught a whiff of the mixture of aromas engulfing their surroundings, entrancing them of the beauty of freshly cooked food. They could hear the voices of their fellow classmates, gossiping and discussing with each other as they continued cooking their exquisite food.
Firion and Terra were drawn to the smell with great anticipation, unable to resist the temptation of the fresh aroma. However, Onion Knight felt a sense or irritation overcome him, unable to appreciate the art of cooking as he refused to make eye contact with the teacher leading the class.
"Sorry we're late, Miss." Terra apologetically called out, oblivious to Onion Knight’s change in attitude.
Footsteps then approached the trio, causing a cold shiver to run up Onion Knight’s spine.
"No Problem. Your classmates informed me of the situation." The Female Teacher answered back in understanding. “I’m sure you three are already aware, but we’ve just begun making scones.”
“…”
Onion Knight grunted in disapproval, refusing to acknowledge the Teacher standing before them. Noticing the attitude, the Teacher then switched to Onion Knight directly, glaring down on him with ominous intimidation.
"Is something not to your liking … Onion Knight?" the teacher warily questioned; her piercing glare stuck deep within the boy.
"N-no … it's nothing." Onion Knight regretfully answered back, biting the inside of his lip as he spoke.
"Then look me in the eye when you're speaking, you ungrateful child." The Teacher then strictly demanded, crossing her arms as she towered over him.
Onion Knight hesitantly abided to her demand and lifted his head, glaring directly at his Food Tech Teacher in displeasure.
The Teacher was wearing a neat, white chef uniform over her plain-white shirt and smooth, black-laced office skirt. Although held back by hair-netting, her dark-silver, wavering hair was thick and luscious – giving off a sense of dark beauty underneath her strict aura.
Her name: Cloud of Darkness.
"S-sorry … Miss." Onion Knight apologised in detest, feeling belittled by the presence.
"Apology accepted." Cloud of Darkness calmly nodded, returning to her initial tone. "Now then: Firion, I need you to assist Bartz with his scones as he’s on his own … and clearly struggling. Terra and Onion Knight: you two will be paired up for this session."
The three responded with accepting nods, shifting to their designated workspaces without question.
The Food Tech room was styled exactly like a large, open kitchen. Filled with various cooking equipment and several machines processing at once, the walls were covered in various posters and sheets of paper reminding students of the ideal diet and unique recipes. Air vents were situated throughout the room’s ceiling, allowing for steam and smoke to be vented out efficiently.
And, of course, the ingredients found throughout the room were of plenty.
For the next 30 minutes, Onion Knight and Terra had quickly set up and began cooking making their scones. Hoping to catch up with the rest of their class, it had not taken them long to prepare the first set for baking.
Everything was going smoothly … until it came to the baking.
Every attempt was an utter failure – burnt to a crisp and left completely inedible.
"Onion Knight! Throw them away and try again!" Cloud of Darkness commanded the instant she spotted Onion Knight's failure. "You’re wasting tonnes of valuable ingredients."
"Wha-!? Again!? B-but … it's my 5th attempt!!!" Onion Knight yelled back in despair, unable to accept his constant failures.
"Tsk…! Such irony! You call yourself the 'Onion Knight' and yet you cannot even cook something as simple as scones!" Cloud of Darkness returned in a mocking tone, a low, darkened chuckle escaping her breath as she spoke. "Just look at Squall's! Utter perfection! I would even consider it a masterpiece compared to the travesty on your baking tray!"
Feeling humiliated beyond belief, Onion Knight glanced over to Squall’s workspace … and was left in complete shock.
The entirety of Class 13A gathered around Squall's work area in awe, gazing at his tray of perfectly browned scones with admiration and inspiration. Squall showed off no expression whatsoever, finding the attention agitating and a clear invasion of his personal space.
"Woah! How did you make them SO TASTY!?" Tidus wondered out loud with his usual burst of excitement, chomping down on one of the scones. "Are you an undercover Chef or something!?"
Squall glared at his over-excitable classmate with scorn.
"Err … no." He flat-out denied, desiring to end this overwhelming attention. "My pathetic Dad refuses to cook at home with using his usual 'Leg Cramp' excuses, so … I just do it myself."
"Wow, this is amazing!" Bartz shouted out cheerfully, feeling the taste of greatness in his mouth as he followed Tidus’ in scoffing down a scone.
Slap!
“Knock it off!” Squall yell out, immediately slapping the scone out of Bartz’s grasp. “…Take your time with it, at least.”
Onion Knight dipped his head in depression, feeling the utter defeat from his terrible cooking skills. Terra placed a hand on his shoulder and quietly giggled, giving her usual sweet smile of assurance.
"Don't worry, Onion Knight." Terra comforted him, briefly eyeing Squall's workspace in the process. "I'm sure you'll get it right … one day."
“It doesn't help with ‘Miss Strict' over there constantly dragging me through the mud whenever I slip up." Onion Knight depressingly pouted, glaring towards Cloud of Darkness with detest. "She's been mocking me about my poor cooking skills since Day One!"
"Well, look on the bright side: at least Warrior of Light isn't here to mock you senselessly." Terra then reminded him, pointing out that the Class and Council President was nowhere in sight.
"That’s … true." Onion Knight admitted as he raised his head, only just realising the absence of his rival. "I’d expected him to return by now.”
Click!
Just as he finished his sentence, the door to the Food Tech Room suddenly opened. A member of the Medical Staff entered the room and instantly caught attention of Terra and Onion Knight. The rest of Class 13A turned and watched the Medical Staff with curiosity, wondering about the commotion.
"Onion Knight. Terra Branford." The Medical Staff Member hastily called, trying to gain back her breath. "Rydia’s just regained consciousness … and she wishes to speak to you!"
Onion Knight straightened up. His eyes were set as the thought of finally escaping the lesson crossed his mind. He switched to Cloud of Darkness’ direction, hoping she would approve of his unexpected leave.
"It's fine, they can go." Cloud of Darkness formally approved, nodding towards the Medical Staff Member without a second thought.
Onion Knight felt his heart leap with determination, swiftly packing up his work surface and leaving the room with Terra within seconds of approval.
Cloud of Darkness glared as the two left, wondering as to why they were in such a rush.
 
The Medical room, Dissidia Academy’s 1st Floor…
Both Onion Knight and Terra reached the Medical Room with no time to waste. As they opened the door, they both caught a glance of Rydia sitting up on one of the medical beds – conscious yet seemingly distant to the world.
"Rydia, how are you feeling?" Onion Knight politely asked her, stepping up beside the bed with Terra by his side.
"I'm … fine, thank you."Rydia returned with a cheerful yet absent smile. "I just wanted to say Thank You for earlier."
Onion Knight and Terra smiled back appreciatively, relieved to see Rydia making a safe recovery. However, a sense of uncertainty crossed Onion Knight’s mind as he noticed the lack of focus in her eyes.
He sat down on the chair close to the bed and focused solely on her.
"Rydia – if it’s ok with you – there’s something important I'd like to discuss." Onion Knight informed her, expressing a serious tone as he spoke. "Do you remember anything about the incident that took place earlier? Do you know the person who attacked you? DO you know why they attacked you?"
Rydia hesitated, having trouble to form her words.
“You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, Rydia.” Terra then assured her kindly, feeling her friends struggle to speak.
"I…"
As she finally broke her silence, tears could be seen forming in his eyes.
"I’m sorry … I can't remember the incident at all."
Just then, her tear-filled face fell into the palms of her hands, breaking down in tears. Terra hastily perched next to her on the bed and placed an arm around her to comfort her, feeling pained to see Rydia in such a state.
"M-my Hairpiece…" Rydia continued to weep, unable to stop sobbing. "It was a gift from my Mother! I m-must get it back!"
Onion Knight leaned back on his chair in silent frustration, feeling as though they hit a sudden roadblock in finding the truth.
Without Rydia unable to recall anything in context of the incident that befell her, the difficulty of solving the case rose exponentially. He was left in his own thoughts, brainstorming for whatever potential leads that was left at his disposal.
However, aside from Zidane, he was at a loss.
Click! Swing…!
Just then, the door to the Medical Room opened. A proud yet unexpectedly excitedly Headmistress Cosmos emerged, approaching the students with an aura of positivity.
"There’s no need to worry.” She assured the sobbing Rydia, showing a calm smile as she stepped up to the bed. “We'll solve this case and reunite you with your Hairpiece in no time."
At first, Onion Knight and Terra glanced to one another, unable to determine what the Headmistress had up her sleeve. They then switched back, hoping to hear some good news from all of this.
"Could you please tell us what’s on your mind, Headmistress Cosmos?" Onion Knight openly requested, his heart beating with anticipation.
"Well, it's rather simple." The Headmistress answered, giving a rare, excitable smirk during her explanation. "During the upcoming Assembly, the Academy will proceed with a ‘Court Trial’."
Onion Knight stared blankly, struggling to process what he had just heard.
"I-I’m sorry, did you say … a Court Trial?" He vacantly requested, rising from his seat in the process. "Won’t we need Lawyers? A Prosecutor? …A JUDGE!?"
The Headmistress looked upon him with light amusement, showing no change in attitude.
"I'll be bringing in an old friend of mine: an official High-Judge in the Court of Law." Cosmos proudly answered. "However, I have decided that two gifted Students will be bestowed the roles of ‘Lawyer’ and ‘Prosecutor’."
Onion Knight and Terra listened in intensely.
"I will appoint Warrior of Light the role of Prosecutor.” Cosmos then announced. “Whilst you – Onion Knight – will defend Zidane in the upcoming Court Trial."
Onion Knight stared at her in bewilderment.
“…What?”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment