Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 10 - Vol 3: Fuelling the Fire

Dissidia Academy: A predigious school for the ambitious and talented, where students strive to accomplish their goals and dreams.

Follow the heroes of Final Fantasy as they tackle the many challenges and tribulations that await them throughout the eventful academic year!

Chapter 10 - Vol 3: Fuelling the Fire

Chapter 10 - Vol 3: Fuelling the Fire
The Detention Room, Dissidia Academy’s Top Floor…
Situated close to the Headmistress' Office and Student Council Room, the Detention Room was small, plain, and as boring as one would expect. Used to isolate delinquent and rebellious Students from the rest of the Academy, many would compare it to an Interrogation Room or a Prison Cell.
The walls of this room were blank and devoid of personality, only a small sized window existed – its sole purpose to allow a limited amount of natural light into the room. Situated within this room holds only a small, mahogany desk and two plastic chairs opposing one another, further verifying the room’s primary purpose to interrogate those who had committed heinous acts on the Academy and its occupants.
Thankfully, there are specified limits to the use of this room.
As stated within the rules of Dissidia Academy:
-          Students can only be held within this room for the maximum of 2 Hours.
-          Students must always be supervised by a qualified member Staff or a selected Student Council Member.
-          The Detention Room must never be locked when in use.
It was simple … yet effective.
SLAM!
Just then, the door to the room abruptly swung open, colliding against the wall with significant impact.
Two Students entered the room: a stern-faced Warrior of Light leading the way with Zidane Tribal in tow.
The moment they entered, Warrior of Light forcefully shoved Zidane forward, acting as though he was an aggressive warden in a prison. His eyes were burning with intensity, showing no remorse in his expression as he stared down his troublesome classmate.
The anxious Zidane stared back at him as he regained his balance, unable to finds the words to break the tension between them.
Squeak…! Click!
Warrior of Light gradually closed the door behind him, his gaze refusing to shift from Zidane in the process – giving off the perception that Zidane was merely a cockroach to him.
"C-come on, Light. There’s no need to be so forceful." Zidane playfully yet nervously stuttered, hoping to settle the vitriol cast upon him. "I mean, you could have just-!"
"Sit down."
Warrior of Light showed no hesitation as he interrupted the yellow-tailed boy, gesturing him to one of the chairs in the room.
Immediately falling silent, Zidane complied with Warrior of Light's command.
Screech…!
He drew back the seat from under the table and perched down in silence, eyes wavering towards Warrior of Light with increased caution. Warrior of Light sat down on the opposite seat, his attention solely set on Zidane as he continued his intimidating silence. Zidane sat uncomfortably on his seat, awkwardly averting Warrior of Light's death glare as best as he could.
Finally, with a pen and a notebook set on the table, Warrior of Light broke his silence and began his interrogation.
"Due to previous reputations, I’m sure you understand why I detained you." Warrior of Light expressed with a severe tone, his intimidation towering over the anxious Zidane.
Zidane hesitated at first, feeling as though the walls around him were gradually closing in.
"Hehe… Y-yeah.” Zidane nervously chuckled, playing off the serious aura to prevent becoming overwhelmed. “You could say – I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."
As he spoke, Warrior of Light commenced with jotting down his notes – further setting Zidane on edge.
"I see…” Warrior of Light lowly murmured, glaring back at him with a clear cast of doubt. “For someone who’s just been accused of Theft and Assault, you seem more ‘chilled’ than I expected you to be."
“Hahahaa…! You know me, Light!” Zidane reactively played off. “Considering everything that’s happened, I’ve got to keep a cool head … right?”
“…”
Warrior of Light was completely unconvinced, staring back at Zidane in judging silence before jotting down a few more notes.
Zidane let out a deep, frustrated sigh.
“Tsk…! Who am I kidding…?” He then quietly muttered, throwing away the playful demeanour like a useless mask. “You’ll never believe me, no matter what I say.”
“…Oh?” Warrior of Light glanced back at him with intrigue, a hint of ridicule in his tone. “And what makes you say that?”
“You’ve detested me since Day 1.” Zidane then exclaimed, remembering their brief encounter on the first day of the new Semester. “All because I temporarily stole your dumb badge.”
“I can’t deny, you certainly made things … inconvenient.” Warrior of Light formally admitted. “However, to simply claim that I ‘detest’ you is unfounded.”
Unfounded? I’m not a moron, Light.” Zidane scoffed amusedly. “The way you acted when you detained me earlier was proof enough that you despise me. If I remember correctly, you called me: ‘a piece of filth’.”
“Hmm … so I did.”
Hearing Warrior of Light’s uncaring response, Zidane sat back in his seat as he continued to speak his mind.
“You think I’m ‘guilty’, don’t you…?” He playfully assumed, hoping to turn the tables on the accusation. “You believe I was the one who assaulted Rydia. You believe I was the one who stole her Hairpiece. In fact, I bet you already saw me as the ‘guilty’ party the moment you entered that room.”
"Do you have any proof that I'm wrong?" Warrior of Light hit back in an instant, his glare intensifying as he awaited an answer.
Zidane abruptly froze up, thrown completely off his stride as he backed into a corner once again.
"No, I don't…” He regretfully admitted, his body tense as he thought of a snappy comeback. “Do you have any proof that I’m the culprit, though?”
"Don't get cocky with me." Warrior of Light growled with a slightly raised voice, holding his dominance. "There is an investigation in progress as we speak. So, I'd suggest you mind your mouth if I were you."
A hidden grin began to curl from the corner of Zidane’s mouth, noticing the slight change in tone from the Council President.
"Face it, Light. You're blinded by your own arrogance." Zidane assured him, waving off the serious tone. "If you weren’t so ‘self-centred’, things would go a lot smoother for you."
"Tsk…! I told you not to call me by that nickname." Warrior of Light reactively gritted his teeth. "How can I – or anyone else with a sense of logic – consider your opinions as ‘truth’ if you’re always pulling such pranks and rebellious acts?"
Zidane leaned back on his chair, placing his hands behind his head as he coolly answered, "I can’t deny, I like to pull a few pranks every now-and-then. But … I do have my own ‘Code-of-Conduct’. I will always prioritize the safety and wellbeing of others over my own. And, I always return the items I steal … eventually."
"Somehow, I doubt that…" Warrior of Light cautiously grunted, adding a few more notes in the process. "Does that mean you considered the safety of Sephiroth and your classmates when you carelessly collided into the Great Globe?"
"THAT … was an accident.” Zidane lurched forward in hasty response, the sense of lingering trauma rearing its ugly head. “No one was injured in the end, remember? And besides, Bartz and I were … justifiably punished for it."
"Fine…” Warrior of Light mumbled, swiftly returning to the main topic at hand. “When I detained you, you claimed that you were ‘not the culprit of the incident’ that transpired in Math Room 4. Tell me, why were you at the scene of the crime?”
“Erk!”
Zidane's tail suddenly twitched, causing Warrior of Light to narrow his gaze with intrigue.
As though to purposely avoid eye contact, Zidane awkwardly glanced away from Warrior of Light's tense gaze.
"I-I … was just-! You know…! I was just i-in the room next door … when it happened." Zidane stammered as he spoke, sweat appearing to slide from his brow. "I heard the scream … and I came running to check it out, that’s all."
Slam!
"Too vague!” Warrior of Light slammed in complaint, straightening up his posture as he pursued the interrogation further. "What are you hiding from me, Zidane? I require a fool-proof alibi! What were you doing in the room next door to the incident?"
"N-nothing! I was doing nothing!" Zidane hastily shook his head, refusing to comply.
It was then that he knew: Warrior of Light had hit the jackpot.
"Come now, Zidane." Warrior of Light menacingly teased, refusing to dwindle. “You can’t surely believe that you’d get away with just ‘that’? I need details.”
"I know that!" Zidane yelled back, his demeanour falling apart completely. "It's just … I don't feel it's the right time for me to explain my side of the story. At least … not right now."
"And when would be the right time?" Warrior of Light hastily pursued, towering over Zidane as he took to his feet. “Honestly, I see NOW as the best time for you to come clean. The more secrets you hold from me, the more it’ll bite you back when all the cards are on the table.”
“Come on, man…!” Zidane then sighed in a slump. “What happened to the fair Light who helped Bartz when he was in a jam on the first day of Semester?”
"I told you ... to stop calling me by that nickname!" Warrior of Light blurted out, agitated by Zidane’s insistence.
"But your name is such a mouthful!" He complained in a moping expression. "If it bothers you so much, why don't you just tell everyone your 'actual' name?"
"My actual name…?" Warrior of Light hesitated in surprise, lowering his head in a somewhat shameful expression. "I was never given one."
"Wha–…? Wait, seriously!?" Zidane abruptly gaped, leaping up on his seat. "Man … that must suck! I mean, that must REALLY suck for you!"
"Stay on topic!” Warrior of Light demanded, refusing to diverge any longer. "Why are you trying to avoid this!? You were so desperate in proving your innocence, and yet you’re constantly refusing to explain your side of the situation!"
"Because you have a clear bias against me!” Zidane shot back, standing his ground against his accuser. “If I told you now, you’ll only spin the narrative in your favour!”
Warrior of Light fell silent, frozen in place as he stared daggers upon Zidane.
Zidane saw right through him. The yellow-tailed boy had seen it before: people who care little of the situation aside from their own benefits. Even though he was backed to a corner, he refused to give in to the pressure.
Letting out a small groan in frustration, Warrior of Light realized the inevitable had arrived. He felt it was unnecessary to pursue the interrogation further, believing he would only be wasting time. Instead, he opted to leave this mess to the higher-ups – the Academy Teachers – whilst he figured out his next move.
He left his seat and stepped towards the door, “We’re done here.”
"H-Hey! What am I supposed to do now!?" Zidane demanded in bafflement; his palms firmly pressed against the desk as he yelled. "You can’t just leave me here!”
Warrior of Light veered his head back in acknowledgment, "Relax. I'll have a member of staff watch over you whilst I consult with the Headmistress. Just sit tight and behave."
Zidane then watched as the Council President left the Detention Room, slumping back on his seat in defeat.
Alone in the room, he let out a long-winded sigh.
“…But it wasn’t me, I swear…”
 
Outside the Detention Room…
Click!
Warrior of Light stood in silence in the middle of the Top Floor corridor, hearing the room close behind him.
He took a moment to regain his composure, staring towards the large, open widow before him – deep in thought.
"…I told him not to refer to me by that silly nickname." Warrior of Light groaned, crossing his arms and keeping his usual elegant posture.
“Why don’t you just tell everyone your ‘actual’ name?”
Hearing Zidane’s words echo throughout his mind, his expression twisted into an angered scowl.
“How can I when I don’t even have one?” He bitterly growled, his body completely tensed up at the thought.
That name. ‘Light’.
Why was he so against such a petty – yet harmless – nickname?
He was fully aware that others only used it for convenience, yet deep down he felt as though he was being mocked for lacking a true name. It was a reasonable concept on the on the surface, as still it irritated him more so than anything else.
Was that due to their misguidance? Or, was it an internal issue that he needed to resolve?
Swiftly returning to reality, Warrior of Light focused on his attempted interrogation with Zidane.
Overall, it was unsuccessful. Nothing crucial was gained from Zidane fir the case, and all it left was more questions and frustrations for the Council President. All he could recollect was the words directed at him, echoing throughout his mind in a repetitive loop.
“What happened to the ‘fair’ Light who helped Bartz when he was in a jam on the first day of Semester?”
“Tsk…!”
Warrior of Light bluntly tutted in rejection, brushing off the lingering reflection before it became to troublesome.
"You seem like a lost lamb standing in the middle of this corridor.” A sudden, deep voice then called out to him. “Is something on you mind?"
In that instant, a repulsive shiver crawled up Warrior of Light’s spine as he regrettably recognised the voice that approached him. He could feel a looming shadow tower over him, breathing down his neck like a ghoul closely observing its next victim.
"Some breathing room would be much appreciated, Garland?" Warrior of Light moodily retorted.
“…Apologies.”
As requested, Garland took a step back, allowing Warrior of Light room to feel comfortable with the space around him.
Warrior of Light let out a low sigh in relief.
"Well, now I know how it feels like to be Onion Knight…"
He then directed attention onto Garland, an irritable expression cast upon him.
"So, why are you here?"
"Well – if you must know – I was taking a short stroll around the Academy…” Garland began to explain, setting an odd tone of gracious and formal under his demonic-looking helmet. “During this stroll, I just happened to notice your presence nearby.”
Warrior of Light’s gaze narrowed with a cast of doubt, feeling an ulterior motive was being considered by the ominous teacher.
“I had recently heard about the incident. It saddens me to hear about the assault on the poor girl.” Garland continued, expressing his sympathy for Rydia. “I was just discussing with the Headmistress on the subject, and she spoke about you dealing with the supposed 'suspect' of the case at hand. And so, I thought it would be wise to check up on your interrogation."
With a sigh, Warrior of Light nodded in understanding as he complied.
"I see … unfortunately, the investigation was unsuccessful." Warrior of Light admitted as he switched his sight towards the Detention Room door. "I gained nothing out of Zidane … and in the end, all he did was waste my time."
"Do you wish for any assistance?" Garland suggested upon hearing his woes, showing his generosity.
Warrior of Light glared towards him with hesitation, cautious as to whether to take him up on his offer.
"Yes … I could do with some help.” He bitterly admitted as he eventually gave in, gritting his teeth as he spoke. “I need you to watch over Zidane whilst I speak with the Headmistress. He has just over an hour until he’s able to leave the room."
Garland nodded as he understood the situation.
However, Warrior of Light found himself already regretting his decision, grumbling to himself. He despised the fact that he required assistance from the Garland – the last person he wished to be associated with right now.
Unfortunately, the decision was already made.
"if you require The Headmistress, she is currently situated in the Medical Room currently." Garland indicated, stepping past the student as he approached the Detention Room.
In contrast, Warrior of Light began to step passed Garland with the Medical Room set on his mind. Feeling there was no need for further discussion, he refused to speak another word to the teacher.
Even so, he heard Garland call out to him.
"Just on a side note, it would be rather pleasant if you began calling me as 'Professor' Garland."
Just then, Warrior of Light whole body horrifically jerked in abrupt reaction.
"OVER MY DEAD BODY!" He bellowed out in a burst of anger.
With haste, Warrior of Light disappeared down the staircase and out of sight.
Garland silently watched him leave, seeming amused underneath his demonic metal helmet.
He then turned … and entered the Detention Room.
 
Medical Room, Dissidia Academy’s 1st Floor…
Onion Knight was seated on his chair, frozen in place with eyes widened in shock.
The room was in complete silence, the three students staring at their Headmistress in disbelief. On the other hand, Headmistress Cosmos stood was standing with a proud, gleaming smile across her face.
Struggling to comprehend the absurdity he just heard, Onion Knight broke the tension for clarification.
"I’m … defending Zidane?" Onion Knight muttered with disbelief. "Th-that's ridiculous! How could I be a Defense Attorney!? I don't have the training, the qualifications, nor even the knowledge for the profession! How can I defend someone of the accused!?"
Terra and Rydia nodded in agreement, wondering if the Headmistress had lost her mind.
“It may sound absurd, but your determination and calculative mind-set is more than perfect for the job.”  Cosmos assured him, giggling away nonchalantly. "Also, do consider that this isn't a 'true' Court Trial. This is more of a … first-hand experience for the Academy’s students. I plan for this Trial to help the Students towards an effective thought process in the event of a real-life setting. Additionally, it’ll allow both you and Warrior of Light to overcome a long-restrictive psychological weakness."
"A psychological weakness…?" Onion Knight vacantly echoed, questioning her meaning of the phrase.
And then, as he briefly thought about it, he leapt out of his chair in sudden detest.
"Wait … Are you referring to my ‘short stature’!?"
"Oh! N-no! Not at all!” Cosmos hastily corrected, waving her hands to show her innocence. “I would call that more of a … 'physical' weakness.”
“Erk-…!?”
Onion Knight reactively shuddered, feeling as though he was insulted regardless of her reasoning.
“Anyway, you'll understand what I mean in due time." Cosmos then casually admitted, chuckling away. "Hm-hmm…! Just thinking of the rivalry between you two on the stage just enthrals me with excitement! Oh, I can’t wait!"
Onion Knight blankly stared at the Headmistress, unable to comprehend what was dancing around in her mind.
Then, Terra decided to pose a question, taking the Court Trial into account.
"Sorry to butt in, Headmistress Cosmos. But … what would happen to Zidane if he’s given the Guilty verdict?" She curiously asked.
The Headmistress switched to her with a raised brow, thinking about the question before answering.
"Well … he would be excluded from the Academy with immediate effect." She casually admitted.
““Excluded!?””
Both Onion Knight and Terra felt terror run down their spines as they blurted out their shock, concern set upon them at the realisation of Zidane’s potential fate.
“*A-hem!*
Clearing her throat, Headmistress Cosmos returned attention on her and continued.
"Now then, there’s something I wish to ask you, Onion Knight." She confidently announced, refusing to let such a daunting reality soil her anticipation. "Without a shadow of a doubt, do you believe Zidane is Innocent?"
Onion Knight hesitated upon hearing the question, lowering his gaze to the floor as he recollected the events.
The Evidence came to mind.
Whist some pointed the finger on Zidane as the culprit, others were clearly a contradiction to the case. There were too many questions to confirm the true context of the case, and a Court Trial may just be the necessary way of resolving the looming mystery set upon them.
With that, Onion Knight gazed up at the curious Cosmos.
"I believe in Zidane’s innocence." He admitted in truth, hesitation in his tone yet eyes set on his task. “I’ll defend him to the end.”
Cosmos acceptingly nodded, "Then it is settled."
Click! Swing!
Just then, the door of the Medical Room opened, a familiar figure entering in haste.
"Headmistress Cosmos, I’m sorry! I wasn’t successful in Zidane’s-!”
He halted his apology, noticing who was in the room with the Headmistress.
“…Huh?"
Completely caught off guard, Warrior of Light stood amongst Onion Knight, Terra, Rydia, and Headmistress Cosmos like a deer in the headlights.
"…And so, the fool finally entered the field." Onion Knight murmured underneath his breath, gazing upon his ‘rival’ with mocking eyes.
Warrior of Light felt veins pop out from his skull the moment Onion Knight made his small quote. His eyes piercing the boy like daggers locked on its target.
"Oh…? Is that a threat?" Warrior of Light murmured in a dark, creepy voice, provoking the situation.
“And what if it was a threat?” Onion Knight confronted him, standing up to show he was no pushover.
Clap! Clap! Clap!
The Headmistress slowly clapped, deciding to break the tension.
"Now then, it’s nice to see you two in good spirits! However, shall we-?"
She was rudely cut off before she could finish her sentence.
"I see … so the pint-sized 'genius' developed a mouth to go with his cocky demeanour." Warrior of Light mockingly taunted, crossing his arms as his glare towards Onion Knight intensified.
"WHO ARE YOU CALLING ‘PINT-SIZED’!?" Onion Knight suddenly snapped in fury, refusing to let such an insult slide.
YANK!
“AH!?”
“OW!”
Just then, both Warrior of Light and Onion Knight suddenly felt their ears being pinched against their will. Terra and Rydia reactively wince at the sight, caught off-guard by the sudden intervention.
The two slowly turned their heads, feeling a sense of despair as they noticed it was Headmistress Cosmos who was aggressively pinching their ears.
"I would prefer not to be interrupted." Cosmos eerily expressed to them.
Warrior of Light and Onion Knight gulped as their bodies trembled.
"…Do I make myself clear?"
““Y-YES, MA'AM!!!”” The two yelled out in unison.
Cosmos gave them a silent yet simple nod, showing her dominance in the situation. Terra and Rydia held their silence as they watched the fearful event unfold, feeling they would only make the situation worse if they spoke up.
"Good. I’d prefer you two save your disdain for each other until we enter the Court Trial." Cosmos admitted as she released their ears from her grip, casually reverting to her usual personality.
"Did you just say … ‘Court Trial’?" Warrior of Light echoed in a confused manner, blankly staring at the Headmistress as he soothed his ear.
"That's correct." Cosmos proudly confirmed.
Shen then proceeded to explain the details of the upcoming Assembly, hoping that everything she said was clear to him
During her speech, Warrior of Light began to show a variety of emotions – some rather unexpected: It began with curiosity … and then immediately followed by shock and uneasiness.
“Are you sure about this, Headmistress? This all seems rather…?” He then cautiously asked.
“AH-AH! I haven’t finished!” Cosmos instantly interrupted him, shutting him down before he could question her mindset.
“…Sorry.”
Headmistress Cosmos then proceeded to detail the roles given to him and Onion Knight, fully engrossed in her own words to notice the stark shift in Warrior of Light’s expressions.
From the previous signs of uncertainty, Warrior of Light’s expression curled to an abrupt sense of pride and cunning intrigue. Hearing that he would face Onion Knight in a battle of wits along with bringing Zidane to justice, he could not help but show his enthused interest in the role of Prosecutor.
Finally, as Cosmos concluded her explanation, Warrior of Light glanced over to Onion Knight with a confident – yet, somewhat malicious – smirk.
"Oh … this will certainly be interesting." Warrior of Light lowly muttered.
Sensing the threat, Onion Knight’s eye twitched irritably as he knew his task of defending Zidane was going to be an uphill battle. Just seeing Warrior of Light’s smugness irked him, feeling his disgust rapidly boil over at the seams.
However, instead of expressing his anger through the usual bickering and arguments, he chose to shift the subject.
"Please enlighten me, 'Prosecutor’.” He mockingly pressed Warrior of Light, the corner of his mouth twitching as he grinned back. “How was your interrogation on Zidane? Were you able to retrieve anything useful from him?"
In a blink of an eye, Warrior of Light's reaction switched from smug to annoyance.
"No." He admitted in honesty, letting out a depressed sigh. “His answers were either too vague … or he would avoid the question entirely.”
Onion Knight, Terra, Headmistress Cosmos, and even Rydia looked on in surprise, all wondering why Zidane refused to comply.
"I don’t understand.” Onion Knight murmured under his breath, deep in thought. “Why would he try to hide his alibi? When we found him, he was certain of his innocence."
“Tsk…! Is it not obvious?” Warrior of Light bitterly waved off, finding their reactions pointless. “He has no alibi. He’s simply avoiding the subject to hide his guilt.”
Abruptly, the four of them – including the Headmistress – instantly shot a glare towards Warrior of Light without warning, causing him to jump back in shock.
"H-hold on now … why are you all glaring at me like that?"
"Did you provoke him, by any chance?" Cosmos questioned, curious as to how the interrogation had unfolded between them.
"N-no, I didn't-!"
"Zidane may have clammed-up due to the constant pressure." Terra then suggested, accidentally interrupting him.
"I did what I was required to-!"
"Well, no wonder you failed!" Onion Knight then blurted out, intentionally interrupting him. "Why would anyone want to speak to you after all your nagging!?"
It was at this moment that Warrior of Light finally snapped.
"WILL YOU ALL PLEASE STOP INTERRUPTING ME-!"
Drrring-Drrring…!
The Academy bell suddenly rang throughout the building, an indication that the current lesson had concluded, and the Afternoon Homeroom was soon to begin.
Clap!
Just then, Cosmos clapped her hands together.
"Right then, you three!" She heartedly announced, indicating to Terra, Onion Knight and Warrior of Light. "Without further ado, we must leave Rydia to her recovery. We’ll move on to the Theatre Hall and prepare for the impending Trial."
With that, the Headmistress swiftly took lead and exited the Medical Room in an excited rush.
Onion Knight and Terra decided to follow, shrugging to each other. As they left, the two waved to Rydia in hopes for her successful recovery. On the other hand, Warrior of Light was left gazing blankly towards the door, unable to move his body in disbelief.
He then quietly sighed to himself.
"…Perfect ... just perfect…" Warrior of Light muttered as his eyes expressed a lack of enthusiasm. "Even the Academy Bell decided to interrupt me.”
He stepped to the opened door, following the others out the room.
“What has the world come to…?”
 
Main Hall, Dissidia Academy…
The Headmistress lead the group to the Theatre Hall, a hint of pride in every step she took as she anticipated the upcoming event.
As he followed close behind, Onion Knight began to wonder about the process of the Trial. Would the structure be exactly like an official Court Trial? Or, will liberties be taken due to the lack of experience from both the Defence and the Prosecution?
However, as he cast aside the thoughts, he noticed Terra squirming anxiously beside him – causing him to grow cautious about her involvement.
"Terra, you don’t need to involve yourself in the Court Trial." Onion Knight suggested to her, keeping his eyes forwards. “If it gets overwhelming for you, you can step away at any time.”
Terra shook her head in response.
"Thanks for the concern, Onion Knight … but no. I want to do everything I can to assist you." She exclaimed, expressing a strong resolve in her tone. "Rydia’s my friend and I’m a witness to the incident. It would be wrong for me to cower from this."
Taking her feelings into account, Onion Knight returned an earnest smile to her.
"Well, I couldn’t ask for better company." He admitted in complement, cheerfully nodding away as he emulated her resolve. "And besides … I'll need all the help I can get."
It was not long before the group reached the Theatre Hall’s entrance.
With a small push of the doors, Headmistress Cosmos stepped into the Hall with a grand stride – revealing the room at its absolute finest. Onion Knight and Terra looked on with amazement, taken aback by the sheer transformation of the Theatre Hall's grand appearance.
Even Warrior of Light – as he caught up with the other three – was left in sheer amazement of the transformation.
It was completely redecorated to replicate a Court of Law: Various strong wooden stands were set to house the Judge, the Defence, the Prosecutor, and what would be the Witness’; Flags were positioned throughout the various areas of the Hall, all designed elegantly with the logo of the Academy; Furthermore, it was all lit up accordingly to focus on the stage.
It was as though this upcoming Trial had a high-production budget.
"Welcome to the Court Room. Cosmos proudly announced, gesturing towards the stage as though she was a tour guide. "This will be where the battle for the truth will commence."
The three students were speechless, observing the Hall with trance-like stares.
The Headmistress continued, “Our audience will arrive at any moment, and the Judge for this Trial will soon make his appearance. So, we’d best set up before the chaos ensues."
"Wait … an audience?" Warrior of Light echoed abruptly.
"That’s correct." Cosmos cheerfully answered with an excitable nod. "The entire Academy will be watching the Trial – both students and staff. So … no pressure!"
With that, Cosmos stepped over and onto the Stage to gain a closer inspection of the Court design, acting completely nonchalant on the entire scenario. Warrior of Light was left frozen on the spot, finding this all too sudden for him.
Onion Knight noticed him standing in bafflement, turning to him with a low, mocking grin.
“Are you having doubts, Warrior of Light?” He teased, fuelling the fire for their upcoming battle of the wits. “You needn’t worry. I’ll be sure to hand you your loss before the day ends.”
Warrior of Light immediately broke out of his frozen state.
"Your confidence is endearing, Onion Knight.” He answered back in retaliation, returning the taunts. “I’ll be sure to wipe off that smugness from your face before you realise your failure.”
As they stared daggers at each other, Onion Knight and Warrior of Light stepped up to the stage – With an embarrassed Terra following behind.
With Headmistress Cosmos directing them, Onion Knight and Terra headed to the Right side of the Court whilst Warrior of Light took the Left side. Warrior of Light held his elegant posture as he took his position on the Prosecutor Stand, showing his perfectionism in embracing the role.
However, the moment Onion Knight stepped up to his own position ... he immediately noticed a design flaw.
"T-this Stand … is too tall for me."
Upon that moment, a sudden burst of laughter echoed throughout the Theatre Hall.
“Pfft! AH-HAHAHAHAA! AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA…!!!”
Warrior of Light was the first to notice Onion Knight's predicament – hence the laughter. From his point of view, only Onion Knight's head could be seen emerging above the Stand.
"*Snicker…!* T-that's … that’s perfect!" Warrior of Light wheezed, almost collapsing due to the loss of breath.
"DO YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH!?!?" Onion Knight bellowed out from his Defence booth, his temper rising to boiling point.
He then noticed Terra desperately holding back her own laughter, placing her fingers over her lips as tears began to emerge.
"Don't fall to his level, Terra ..." Onion Knight threatened her, eyes glaring at her in betrayal.
"I-I'm sorry, I c-can't help it!" Terra struggled to respond, showing her back to him as she attempted to subdue her giggles.
Unbeknownst to the three students, Cosmos was also chuckling – albeit silently.
Snap!
She then snapped her fingers.
"Prishe! I need a box!" She called out to the area behind the stage.
"PRISHE IS HERE!?" Warrior of Light desperately spat out, instantly dropping his laughter.
"YOU’RE GIVING ME A BOX!?" Onion Knight also bellowed out in embarrassment.
In that instant, the Elvaan girl – Prishe – appeared from behind the curtains of the stage without delay. In her procession, she was carrying a sizable, wooden crate she had found in storage.
"Is this the box you required, Headmistress?" She curiously wondered as she stepped up to Cosmos, showing an upbeat grin.
"That will do perfectly."
As per Headmistress Cosmos’ request, Prishe swiftly placed the box behind the Defence Stand. She then turned to Warrior of Light, suddenly giving him a cheerful and energetic wave.
"Hey Light!" she called out to him, showing him a large, boisterous smile.
"Stop calling me by that nickname!" Warrior of Light reactively yelled back, the nickname becoming a psychological trigger. "A-anyway … why are you here, Prishe? What happened to you assisting Professor Shantotto?"
"Headmistress Cosmos personally requested my help to set up the Court Trial." Prishe pridefully answered back, emulating a joyful expression. "So, I thought: 'to Hell with being the Doc's errand girl!' and now … I’m the Bailiff! Awesome, right!?"
Warrior of Light slumped forward onto his Stand upon hearing Prishe's answer, feeling somewhat concerned at the thought of her taking the role as the official Bailiff.
…And he was not the only one thinking this.
"Why do I have the feeling there'll be some 'intentional' injuries during the Trial?" Terra whispered to Onion Knight.
"I think The Headmistress desired some 'muscle' to keep the Court from becoming difficult to manage." Onion Knight silently replied, losing colour in his skin at the thought of Prishe unleashing a rampage on the Court.
SLAM!
“Eep!”
Just then, the Door of the Theatre Hall abruptly opened.
Onion Knight, Terra, and even Warrior of Light leapt back in sudden fright – even a small Eep! accidentally escaped from Terra’s mouth in reaction.
As they all peered over to the direction of the door, they saw a large, bulked figure – sporting a clad of silver armour – approach the stage. The clad of armour was shaped and morphed into an intricate design, featuring a cape that dropped to the figure's feet and horns of the helmet that curved downwards. The individual armour echoed throughout the Theatre Hall as the mysterious person stepped forward, embracing an aura of intimidation to all that face the figure.
This intimidating atmosphere caused Onion Knight to suddenly feel a chill crawl up his spine, not knowing how to approach this new individual.
"Ah, High-Judge! It’s an honour to see you again after so long." The Headmistress gracefully greeted the armoured man, bowing to the large figure.
The 'High-Judge' responded by silently shaking her hand and bowing in return, still engulfed in his intimidating aura.
Onion Knight and Terra looked on in surprise, conscious at the thought of answering to the armoured individual as the Court’s Judge. They silently glanced at each other, both feeling the events of this Court Trial may take unexpected turns.
However, it was Warrior of Light who decided to enter the lion's den.
"Excuse me, High-Judge, may I ask as to who you are?" Warrior of Light requested, oblivious to the engulfing aura of intimidation.
The armoured individual switched to Warrior of Light, judging eyes glaring from behind the Helmet … and then chose to remove it and reveal his identity.
Click! Click! …Shift.
As he removed his helmet, Onion Knight, Terra, Prishe, and Warrior of Light watched in cautious anticipation.
The first aspect of the High-Judge was igh-Jufdge his short, blond hair and hazel eyes. His expression was tense and stoic, hinting of his experience throughout the many years as a Judge.
"My name is Noah fon Rosenburg.” The High-Judge answered upon request, his dark yet sophisticated tone booming as he spoke. “However, you shall refer to me as the High-Judge ‘Gabranth’.”


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment