Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - 1

A CSI Christmas Story
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sarasidlebeta <-My Account

Chapter 1 - 1

Chapter 1 - 1
“I’m just gonna keep on waiting. Underneath the mistletoe…”

It was December in Las Vegas, the days were shorter and the nights colder.
There were only about two and a half more weeks until the twenty-fifth; the crime lab didn’t seem to notice as much. Sara was already x-mas shopping and Catherine had already bought her daughter what she desired. Nick, Greg and Warrick were just window-shopping and Grissom wasn’t the easiest person to get involved with the Christmas festivities. Sara and Grissom had already made plans for x-mas eve and New Years eve, Catherine was spending it with her daughter and Nick, Warrick and Greg were partying with close friends. It was a cold winter night as Sara drove, a box of Christmas cookies sat next to her in the passenger seat. She drove up into Grissom’s driveway and parked. She bundled up in her mittens and scarf; she grabbed the box of cookies in her left hand as she opened the door with her right. She quickly walked up to the front door and rang the bell; she glanced up coming in contact with mistletoe. Sara smiled as she looked back at the door, she heard footsteps and she quickly set a smile on her shivering lips. Grissom answered the door with a grin; he was wearing navy blue track pants and a white cotton long sleeved shirt. Sara smiled and held the box with both hands; Grissom raised his left eyebrow up to the mistletoe. Grissom stood on the front step, and looked up. Sara looked up staring at the bundle of leaves. They both brought their eyes forward and leaned for a kiss, it was tradition. After they embraced Grissom let Sara in, she heard the fireplace crackle and she smelt a tangy flavor. Grissom walked her in and let her take her coat off, she enjoy the warmth of his home. Sara placed the box on his kitchen table, looking curiously at it he asked, “What’s in the box sweetheart?” Sara looked at him and simply said, “Cookies Gilbert, you want one?” Grissom nodded and Sara lifted the lid of the green and red-stripped box. Grissom peered into the box and saw many colorful and delicious cookies. There were shortbread, snowballs, gingerbread and fig. Sara noticed Grissom’s eye as they glowed with delight, she was happy that he was happy. As Grissom inspected every cookie, Sara was happy knowing that she was going to spend Christmas with the man she loved. Grissom looked at her with puppy dog eyes and asked, “Can I have one?” Sara nodded yes. Grissom lifted out a shortbread cookie and began to nibble on the edges, Sara smiled. Grissom looked at Sara and asked, “Want one?” Sara shook her head no. Grissom frowned, and then finished his cookie. “Sara, are you bored?” he asked curiously. Sara looked at him, her eyebrow raised. Sara shook her head no, and looked at her stomach. Grissom followed her eyes and he also looked. Grissom studied her and frowned, he looked up at her and asked, “How are you doing?” Sara instantly looked at him and said, “I’m doing fine, you should remember that night clearly” Grissom raised an eyebrow as he picked out another cookie and started to nibble once more.

Catherine was trying to beat the holiday rush but it seemed she was right in the middle of it all. She was Christmas shopping for her daughter, her ex-husband and her friends. Catherine was tired of all the crowds and all the bags but she had to face it, people went mad over the holidays. Catherine thought about the gift she had just bought Lindsey, a MP3 player and a cell-phone. Catherine let out air through her mouth as she remembered the high prices she had overcome for her daughter, she loved her and she knew that Lindsey was a good kid. Catherine had also spent a fortune on her ex and her friends, but nothing on herself. She knew that it wasn’t the time for being selfish but she didn’t even stop to look for something she wished for. Catherine let out another breath. She spent more money on Sara and Grissom than her own family, but only because she knew Sara was expecting. Catherine was overjoyed but she questioned Sara and Grissom. She thought, what if they couldn’t do it? Catherine knew that she was very supportive and that they had nothing to worry about, she smiled. Rushing back to her car, the snow falling softly she remembered her first week with her daughter when she was born. Catherine remembered that she was a good sleeper and she never cried, of course Eddie wasn’t there to see how good Catherine had been taking care of Lindsey. Catherine stood at the corner and waited to cross the street, she thought about Sara and suddenly felt worried. The light had turned red and Catherine rushed to the other side. She unlocked her car, unloaded her bags and got in the drivers seat. She knew that she had to go see Sara, she had a terrible feeling in her gut, and she stopped to think. “Sara’s probably at Grissom’s house…” Catherine looked up and started up the engine.

Sara rolled over to her left side, coming in contact with a pillow. She slowly got up from the bed and walked out of Grissom’s room. Grissom was standing at the stove making hot cocoa. Sara smiled wearily as she smelled the chocolate and the warm milk. She sat down on one of the bar stools and waited patiently for the relaxing cocoa. Grissom looked over his shoulder and saw Sara; he looked at her and smiled. Grissom turned completely around and asked, “When is it that you’re due?” Sara smiled a huge grin and said, “Sometime next week” Grissom’s mouth fell open as he dropped the spoon he was holding, the loud silver metal sound clinking against the ceramic tiles didn’t even make him flinch. Sara started to giggle madly as Grissom’s eyes became wider. Sara knew he was shocked but she loved seeing his expression, it was priceless. Grissom stood watching her in unbeliievement, she kept giggling. “Sara, are you sure it’s next week?” Grissom asked, his voice cracking. Sara calmed down and nodded her head, her eyes a dark, cold brown. Grissom fixed his own cold blue eyes upon her, she felt immature. Sara looked away from Grissom, feeling like a child. He kept staring at her and felt uneasy; it was only one week away. The room was quiet; the house was quiet until the doorbell rang. Sara jumped as she looked toward the front hallway, Grissom also looked. He moved from the stove and walked over to the front entry, squinting as he tried to see who was behind the frost painted window. He unlocked the door and opened it wide; giving him a weary smile was Catherine. She was carrying a load of bags and boxes in her hands and her hair was filled with lightly sprinkled snow. Grissom smiled as he eyed the haul she was carrying and thought mysteriously what was in them. Catherine looked at him and said, “Hey Merry Christmas, I thought I would drop by to say hello”. Grissom smiled as he responded, “Merry Christmas yourself, that’s a lot of bags… need help bringing them in?” Catherine chuckled as she shook her head and stepped into the hallway. Catherine placed the bags and boxes on the floor and took her coat off she looked around. “Hey where’s Sara?” she asked. “She’s in the kitchen, bring your stuff in and make yourself comfy,” Grissom said as he helped her bring some of the bags into the kitchen. Catherine walked in and instantly smelled chocolate and burning wood. She eyed Sara sitting on one of Grissom’s black metal bar stools, her stomach a little bump underneath her shirt. Catherine smiled as she walked toward Sara; Sara saw Catherine and smiled. Sara got up and gave her a huge hug, squishing Sara’s tiny bubble. Catherine looked at Sara and said, “Merry Christmas, how are you doing?” Sara smiled and looked at the boxes, “I’m doing great, tired but great” she responded as she smiled weakly. Catherine looked at Sara’s small bump and said, “Just another week, you two must be excited” Sara looked ate her and said, “Ya absolutely, what did you bring for us?” Catherine smiled as she brought the presents into the living room, Sara and Grissom helped. Everyone sat down on the couch except for Catherine; she was sitting on the carpet eager to open the gifts. “I bought you guys a whole bunch of things your going to need for your first few weeks as new parents” Sara looked at Grissom and he looked back, both there faces were emotionless. Catherine frowned and knew something went wrong before she came, her terrible feeling was right.

Catherine buttoned up her jacket and tucked her scarf into her coat; she was making sure she would stay warm. Her visit over to Grissom’s hadn’t been the best especially when Grissom and Sara started fighting, she couldn’t see that again. Catherine knew that Grissom and Sara were both calm minded people but what she saw tonight made her think otherwise. Catherine insisted that they kept the gifts that she had spent a fortune on, but Grissom had a different idea. Sara flipped out; she called him selfish and it went downhill from that point. “Are you sure you don’t want to stay?” Sara asked as Catherine picked up her purse. “I’m sure, you two need to sort yourselves out,” Catherine said as she tucked her purse under her arm. “Were fine, it’s just that I forgot to tell Grissom that I’m due for next week” Sara said as she shrugged. Catherine opened her mouth in shock “How could you not have told him?” Catherine asked. Sara smiled, “It slipped my mind” Catherine shook her head, disgusted. Catherine opened the door and stepped out onto the front porch. “Cath, can I come over and stay with you?” Sara said, looking at the floor shamefully. Catherine turned around slowly, feeling bad for the mother to be, “Sure but your gonna have to put up with Lindsey” Catherine said as she smiled a tiny smile. Sara looked up, “ I wont mind, thanks so much I can’t stand to be with Grissom when he’s in one of his moods” Catherine nodded her head and waited for Sara, she grabbed her coat and put her boots on. “Are you ready?” Catherine asked as she looked at Sara, “You first” Sara walked out the door and didn’t even bother to look back Catherine did the same. They both walked over to Catherine’s car, it was covered in snow. Catherine pulled out her keys from her pocket and unlocked the doors, Catherine got into the drivers seat and Sara went into the passenger seat. “So, are you really due for next week?” Catherine asked as she put her key into the ignition. “Yup, that’s what the doctor said” Sara responded as she looked out the window. “Do you know their gender?” Catherine asked as she also looked out the window. The snow was falling and sticking to anything it landed on. “He said one for sure is a girl,” Sara said as she looked down, she came into contact with her small, fragile bump. There was a moment of silence until Sara spoke up, “I didn’t want to have kids,” she said as she looked at Catherine. Catherine was shocked; she tried her best not to show it. “Why not, I’m sure your going to be a great mom,” Catherine said as she smiled. “It’s not that, I just don’t want them to go through what I did when I was young” Sara assured as her voice cracked.

“Movies for six hundred” a woman’s voice rang through the house. Catherine and Sara walked in through the front door, the sound of Aleck Trabeck’s voice echoed through the living room. “Wheel of fortune?” Sara whispered. “No, Jeopardy” Catherine said as she looked at Sara. Sara shrugged and took her coat off. Catherine did the same; both of them took their boots off and put them on the mat. Catherine walked into the living room Sara followed right behind her. Lindsey had the T.V. blasting, a bowl of popcorn on the coffee table and a teenage girl sleeping silently on the couch. Catherine smiled and shook her head; Lindsey tried to stay awake so she could see her when she got home. Catherine picked up the remote from the floor and turned the T.V. off, she turned toward Lindsey. She watched as her stomach rise and fall, rise and fall over and over again. Catherine looked at Sara; she was keeping her hand on her stomach and breathing slowly. Catherine squinted and then asked, “Sara are you all right?” Sara looked up, her hand still on her stomach. Catherine looked at Lindsey then at Sara, she knew what was wrong. “Do you want to sit down, want a glass of water?” Catherine asked as she turned the lights on. The dark room filled with light and Sara saw how beautiful Catherine’s home was. The living room was connected to the kitchen and everything was neat, surprising that a young teen also lived here. “Ya, can you get me some water please,” Sara said as she huffed out air. Catherine nodded as she walked over to the kitchen heading straight to the fridge. As Catherine was getting water, Sara lifted her shirt revealing her tiny bump. She watched it move up and down, up and down, up and… a bulge came up and disappeared. Sara blinked and watched again. Up and down, up and down, up and… two more bulges. “Catherine, you might want to look at this” Sara said not taking her eyes off of herself. Catherine walked over, carrying a glass of water in her hand. Catherine moved closer to Sara, both of them watched. In a matter of seconds a bulge popped up again and Catherine smiled. “What is it?” Sara asked frightened. “What you just saw was your baby, it’s feet were pushing against the inside of your stomach” Catherine said feeling experienced. Sara’s eyes shone in amazement as she kept watching. Catherine walked over to Lindsey and gently shook her, waking her up. Lindsey yawned and opened her eyes. “Mom, I want to stay up” she said trying to reason with her mother. Catherine shook her head and responded, “Time for bed, you have school tomorrow” Lindsey got up and started to make her way up to her room. Sara looked at Catherine and smiled, “Lindsey’s a good kid” Catherine looked at Sara and answered, “Ya she is, do you want to sit on the couch?” Sara nodded as she moved over to the couch. “You know the worst thing is when your water breaks, and you go into labor,” Catherine said feeling talkative. Sara looked at her and asked, “How long is labor usually?” Catherine smiled and said, “It could be an hour or two weeks” Sara’s eyes widened. Catherine laughed, “You’re going to be fine, how was that night?” Catherine asked. Sara looked at Catherine then smirked, “What night?” Catherine looked back at her, “You know which night, when you two tied the knot” Sara laughed as she continued the conversation, “It sort of happened like this…”

The room was basically black, except for the thousands of candles that surrounded room. It smelled like vanilla, the scent rising from the candles. Sara lied on the black silk bed sheets. She waited and it seemed like forever until Grissom appeared from the doorway. Sara shifted onto her back, and looked over at him. He was exhausted but he knew that Sara wanted to do this so he accepted. Sara got up and sat cross-legged on the bed, the sheets cold underneath her legs. Grissom walked over to the bed, his blue eyes glistened from the candlelight. Sara smiled, and thought about the risk that they were going to take. It was a big moment for both of them and they were afraid, but they knew the joy that they would get out of it. Grissom got onto the bed and sat next to Sara. He started stroking her hair, and she lied down. He continued as she leaned forward and kissed him. He slowly moved his hand toward her…. “Wow, to much info Sara” Catherine said as she tried to stop her. Sara laughed and looked at Catherine. “Am I embarrassing you?” Catherine looked back at her; “No not at all, it seems you guys had fun” Sara nodded. The house was quiet, the lights set on dim and the smell of tea wafted through the living room. “Jeeze, comparing you guys to me and Eddie you guys win,” Catherine said as she laughed. Sara laughed with her, she was happy that she was with Catherine. Sara suddenly felt an urge in her body; she had to go to the bathroom. Sara turned toward Catherine, “Where is your bathroom?” Catherine turned slowly and faced Sara, she had an odd feeling that she knew what was going to happen. “Here, I’ll come with you this might turn out to be a phone call and a car ride” Catherine said as she got up. Sara looked at her confused, her eyebrow raised. “What do you mean?” Catherine faced her and said, “Just listen to me, and stay calm” Sara got up and followed Catherine. They got to the bathroom and Sara went in, she closed the door. “Sara stay there, I’m going to wake up Lindsey and get a few things,” Catherine said from outside the door. “Ok.” Sara responded. Catherine nodded to herself and she quickly sprinted up that stairs. She went into her room and grabbed a duffle bag out of the closet she packed books; clothes and she grabbed her cell-phone. She carried the bag over to Lindsey’s room and silently opened the door. Lindsey was sleeping in her bed surrounded by pillows and blankets; Catherine took a minute to capture the peace within the room and her daughter. Catherine carefully dropped the bag and walked over to Lindsey, gently shaking her like before, waking her up. Lindsey opened her tired eyes and stared at her mother. She didn’t have a chance to ask what was going on before Catherine told her to quickly get dressed and to pack a few things. In a few minutes or so, Catherine and Lindsey were downstairs with their bags. Catherine told Lindsey to get her coat and boots on and wait for her and Sara at the front door. Lindsey listened to her mother and quickly did what she was told. Catherine waited outside of the bathroom door, she heard Sara throwing up. A few minutes passed by and Sara opened the door, she was pale, her eyes wet and her nose running. Catherine quickly guided Sara out the front door, only stopping to get her coat and boots. Sara looked around feeling like the earth was spinning, she made it to the car and then she saw the world around her turn dark like the black silk sheets.

“Sara…Sara can you hear me…is she going to be alright?” “I’m sorry sir, you have to leave…Sara can you hear me?” “Sir, please…Sara…” Grissom sat on a chair in the white hallway; Catherine and Lindsey were sitting across from him. Sara had passed out in the car when Catherine was driving her to the hospital; on the way there she had phoned Grissom. The clock above Grissom was ticking loudly in the quiet hospital; it seemed to tick even louder as the anticipation grew. Grissom looked up at Catherine, she managed a weak smile. Catherine opened her mouth to speak, but she was lost in emotions. The white double doors next to Grissom swung open, the hinges squeaking softly. “Ms. Willows… are you Ms. Willows?” the nurse asked as she looked at Catherine. She nodded her head and the nurse waved at her to come inside the room. Catherine got up and kissed Lindsey on the forehead, as she walked toward the door she looked at Grissom and gave him a smile filled with hope. Grissom looked toward the floor, Lindsey shuffled in her seat, and she was growing impatient. Grissom counted in his head, over and over again. It felt like weeks were passing by, but really it was only seconds. Grissom closed his eyes and tried to relax, he tried thinking about snow falling softly to the ground. A loud scream filled the quiet hospital and Grissom automatically opened his eyes. Lindsey covered her ears with her hands, Grissom looked toward the double doors. Three more screams followed after the first one and Grissom was getting even more nervous than he already was. The hospital was silent, even Lindsey was quiet. The white door swung open again and Catherine walked out. Grissom looked up to her and studied her face. Catherine looked at him she was speechless and emotionless. Grissom felt lost, he brought his hands to his head and prayed for the best. Catherine sat back down next to Lindsey and tried to comfort her daughter. Grissom looked up and finally it seemed that he got his voice back, “Is Sara alright?” Catherine instantly looked at Grissom, her blue eyes becoming watery as the question sunk in her head. Lindsey looked up at her mother and stared, she never saw her mother in this state before. Lindsey always knew her mother as strong and capable, but what about now? Lindsey looked at Grissom and back at her mother, she sighed and laid her head on her mother’s lap. Catherine flinched and began to stroke her daughter’s hair; it comforted her more than anything. Grissom looked at the doors, he knew that Sara was in a rough spot right now but he knew that she was strong and was willing to do anything just so they knew she was safe. The doors swung open one last time, the nurse looked at Grissom, Catherine and at Lindsey. They all looked back and the nurse said, “She requested to see you…Mr. Grissom” Grissom sat there shocked; finally he removed himself from the chair and got up. His legs felt like jelly and his heart was pounding like a drum but he knew that Sara needed him more than ever. The nurse walked in, Grissom followed her. The nurse moved over to the wall, giving him a clear view of the room. He instantly saw a hospital bed, the sheets were turquoise and there was a chair next to the bed. He moved closer to the bed, he saw dark brown hair streaming over the pillow. It was Sara. He quietly walked over to the chair and sat down, he heard her steady breathing. He watched her for a very long time, and suddenly when he was drifting off to sleep he heard the sheets ruffling. He slowly opened his eyes, the first thing he saw made him smile, Sara.

Catherine had drifted off to sleep since Grissom had left the hallway. Lindsey was asleep on her lap, her blonde hair streaming over her mothers thighs. It had been a rough night for all four of them, Grissom, Sara, Lindsey and herself. Silently the double doors opened, not even loud enough to make Catherine flinch in her sleep. Grissom walked out into the hallway, now standing over Catherine and Lindsey. He didn’t want to wake Catherine up but the nurse insisted that she would talk to Catherine. Grissom leaned closer to Catherine and shook her right shoulder, slowly bringing her awareness back to her body. She slowly opened her eyes, blinking at the bright lights above her. She looked up at Grissom squinting. Grissom looked back at her, his mouth was formed in a straight emotionless line. Catherine quickly revived herself and was ready for any news Grissom came to bring. “Cath, they need you in there… I’ll stay with Lindsey” Grissom said as he watched Lindsey move up and down from her own breathing. Catherine nodded her head and carefully got up, Grissom supported Lindsey’s head as he sat down in Catherine’s spot. He placed Lindsey’s head on his own lap, feeling the warmth of her golden hair. Catherine walked into the room; Sara was still lying in bed motionless. Catherine wanted to cry but she reported to the nurse. “Good thing you came in, were having some major complications,” the nurse said as she looked at Catherine. She felt her eyes water as she looked at the nurse, “I’ll do anything to help, were very close friends and I’m willing to pull any strings for her as well as her…husband” Catherine said, she was shocked that she mentioned husband. “Well the main problem is that one of the babies is placed across in the womb, meaning that is has no possible way to come out,” The nurse said as she looked at Sara. Catherine nodded for her to continue, “The first baby is facing down, which is the right was to come out but the one above it is across, it has no way of coming out” Catherine felt her eyes water as she tried to hold back the tears. “I know how much these children mean to both of them, is there any possible way to move the baby around?” Catherine asked wanting to hear a positive answer. The nurse shook her head and answered, “Well we could either operate on her, wait for the baby to move on its own but the most efficient way is to let it dye in the womb” Catherine started to cry, none of the options were the best in this case but she knew that it was up to her to make the right decision. Catherine looked up at the nurse and said, “Lets go with the first one, she can pull through it” the nurse looked at Catherine and responded, “Operating is very dangerous and could even be deadly” Catherine looked at the woman and strongly replied, “I’d rather have Sara go through death upon herself than her child dying in her womb” the nurse looked at Catherine and finally shook her head. Catherine turned and looked at Sara, she prayed for her strength as well as her own.

Hours went by as Grissom waited with Lindsey in the hallway. Time seemed to be moving slowly and Grissom got more nervous when every minute passed. Catherine had told him what the doctors and nurses were going to do with Sara and he hadn’t taken it well. Lindsey was tired but happy that she wasn’t staying home, she thought it was better sitting here for hours than sitting at home and doing nothing. Catherine didn’t like the idea of her daughter being here but she couldn’t bring her anywhere else on such short notice. Grissom watched the clocks hands move ever so slowly, he sighed. As Grissom waited he hoped the doctors knew what they were doing. Catherine was watching as they operated on Sara, it reminded her of the lab and the morgue. She never got used to Dr. Al Robbins cutting up people, but it was part of the job. Knowing that they were cutting up Sara just the same she was filled with emotions, being a woman of science she understood everything they said and proceeded with. She was happy that she knew what they were talking about but it also made her realize that nothing in this world is perfect even if it means bringing a new life into this world. Catherine had a risky thought about this whole pregnancy, what if it wasn’t what it seemed. She shook her head and tried to remain focused. As hours went by the doctors worked there magic, Catherine tried to peek once or twice but there was no way she could see. After what it seemed like hours a scream burst through the room, the first baby was out. “This one’s fine, it’s a boy” the nurse said as she started cleaning him and cutting the umbilical cord. “Here you go, hold him for a while I need to help with the operation” the nurse said as she handed Catherine the baby. He was wrapped up in a white hospital blanket; he had stopped crying and was now silent. Catherine stared at the baby boy as she cradled him in her arms; he was so small and cute. Catherine looked at the door and wondered if Grissom heard the scream, she thought for a while and then she spoke up, “Do you think Mr. Grissom can come in to see his baby?” the nurse looked at Catherine and answered, “Sure but make sure your not out their too long, we might need your help” Catherine nodded as she turned toward the door, one of the nurses opened it for her. Catherine walked out into the hallway; Grissom was still sitting in the chair with Lindsey on his lap. Catherine walked out and stood their trying to get their attention. Grissom saw Catherine at the corner of his eye but then he saw a white blanket. He instantly turned to face Catherine. Catherine walked over to them and sat down on the chair, she looked up at Grissom. He was crying and smiling, Lindsey was smiling and finally Grissom spoke in a long time, “What is it?” Catherine looked up at him and said, “It’s a boy, and did you guys pick a name for it?” Catherine asked as Lindsey was holding the babies hand. Grissom shook his head, “Can I hold him” Catherine nodded and handed the baby over to Grissom. “Watch his head” Catherine said as the baby was in Grissom’s arms. Grissom rocked the baby he looked up at Catherine. “What about the other baby? What about Sara?” he said as she looked at the door. “They don’t know yet, but they need me back in their” Catherine said a she got up and walked back into the room. Grissom rocked his baby and thought, “If you made it out safe and sound, I hope Sara and the other baby will to”

Catherine was tired and hungry; she thought this was worse than graveyard. The hours turned into days and surprisingly weeks. The doctors let Grissom, Catherine, Lindsey and the new baby home but Sara had to stay behind. There were only four more day’s until Christmas and Grissom was getting worried, Catherine tried being there with him but also trying to be at the hospital. This was the most unthinkable Christmas for all of them. Catherine helped out with the baby when Grissom stayed at the hospital and Grissom watched his baby and Lindsey when Catherine was needed at the hospital. On the fourth night Catherine was asked to attend the final operation, this was the time were they would actually take the baby out and also it would be when Sara awakes from her coma. Catherine assured that she would be there and she knew she had to go for them. As Catherine reached the hospital she prayed that everything would go according to plan, but nothing ever does. As Catherine walked down the hallway she could feel the tension between the doctors and the nurses that were rushing around making sure they had all the tools they needed. Catherine waited outside the door, as a young female doctor came up to her, “Are you Ms. Willows?” Catherine nodded and the doctor opened the double door for her. As Catherine walked in she saw at least twenty staff members crowded around Sara’s bed. Catherine stood at the side of the room as the nurse told her what she had to do. The nurse told her to pray. Catherine waited and did as she was told for at least seven hours until she heard the best sound in the whole entire world. A babies first cry, and with that Catherine cried as well. “It’s a girl,” the young doctor said as she cleaned off the baby and handed it over to Catherine. Catherine cried as she held the baby, she thought in her head “it had all worked out”. The nurse came over to Catherine and rested her hand on her shoulder, “Your prayers were answered” There was silence in the room from everyone, the staff had worked hard and Catherine didn’t give up hope. All was calm until one of the doctors noticed the patient, “Doctor Hughes, Mrs. Sidle didn’t break from her coma. Catherine was shocked and felt a pain in her heart. She cradled the baby and prayed once more, for the babies and Gilbert’s sake.

“Hey Gil, when you get the chance call me back” Catherine said as she closed her cell- phone. She wanted to tell Grissom about the good news and the bad, she couldn’t believe that the operation had worked. Except on Sara, which it was supposed to. Catherine sighed as she put her cell-phone in her pocket and waited for the doctors to have their say on Sara’s conditions. Grissom told her the other night that he was going to name the boy Gilbert and the girl Leanna; he mentioned that Sara wanted their names to be that. Catherine thought that Grissom wasn’t as faithful as she was, she knew how he looked at Sara in this position and she could obviously see that he wasn’t doing well at all. Catherine waited for the doctors, while she waited she thought about Sara’s beautiful baby girl, she had the same eyes as Sara but she had this funny little grin like Grissom. Catherine knew that Sara and Grissom needed each other, especially now. Catherine knew if things don’t turn out good she was going to support Grissom and the kids any possible way that she could. Catherine knew that Sara and Grissom were looking forward to being together with their new family for Christmas but this might change unfortunately. Doctor Hughes rushed out of Sara’s room carrying sheets and folders of all kinds, Catherine looked up at him hoping for any news. Doctor Hughes saw Catherine and frowned, “Sorry Ms. Willows, nothing new to report on the patient” he hurriedly ran toward another room. Catherine looked back at the double doors and got an idea, she got up and looked through the small window that was on the door. She peered inside and saw the most horrible thing she ever witnessed in her life. Sara was lying on the bed and there were at least twenty different tubes coming out of her, she was bandaged up around her stomach and she had an oxygen mask covering her mouth. Catherine quickly looked away as Doctor Hughes came by with more nurses and more papers and folders. He saw Catherine and assured her, “This is the last operation, if this doesn’t work then…” and he quickly walked into the room. Catherine sat down and started thinking about the possibilities of Sara recovering. Catherine knew that the nurses and doctors were doing a risky procedure but they didn’t have a choice. Catherine closed her eyes and thought about the operation suddenly her phone rang. She answered it and listened to the voice on the other end, “Cath, how is she doing?” Grissom asked. Catherine looked at the floor and responded, “Well, their doing the final operation and… how are the kids?” There was silence for a while until Grissom spoke, “They’re sleeping as well as Lindsey, and Cath I need to tell you something…” Catherine was about to ask when Doctor Hughes rushed out of the room and waved frantically for Catherine to come in. “Sorry Griss but they need me now, I’ll phone you back” she said as she hung up. “Sorry to bother you Ms. Willows but this is urgent… you might want to come and see for yourself” Catherine got up and followed the doctor into the room. Doctor Hughes pointed to Sara and Catherine raised her eyebrow as she slowly walked over. A nurse was sitting on a chair next to Sara, in her arms was a wrapped up bundle. Catherine squinted, as she looked, the nurse made eye contact and looked back down and the heap in her arms. Catherine moved closer and slowly pulled away at the blankets. As she uncovered more her eyes grew wide, she was staring at another baby. The nurse looked up at her and replied, “Well it looks like this little guy didn’t want to come out, and he was the one causing all the trouble” Catherine looked at the tiny baby that had been discovered and thought, “Sara’s gonna have a heck of a time believing this story”

Christmas came and passed it was now January. Sara was still in hospital recovering and both Grissom and Catherine were shocked about the triplets. Grissom had phoned Catherine back and she told him the unbelievable news, he couldn’t believe it. He was a father to three beautiful children. Sara was recovering and Catherine and Grissom visited her everyday, the doctors and nurses were excellent to them and Sara. Grissom had picked a special name for the third baby, Aurora that means Goddess of the dawn. He specifically picked this name because of it’s meaning, she was discovered when the sun was dawning. Catherine instantly liked the name and had a feeling Sara would also. Catherine had heard from the doctors that it was time to see if Sara would wake up today, she and Grissom were both excited. Catherine and Grissom waited outside of the room, they both sat in the same chairs. Hours went by until a young male nurse popped his head out from the double doors and said, “She’s made it, you can come in and see her” Catherine got up and so did Grissom, they hugged feeling relived and happy. Catherine walked in and Grissom followed her, Sara was sitting up in the bed reading a magazine. Catherine started crying and Grissom walked over to Sara. She instantly saw him and broke into a huge smile, he felt relived. “Did you miss me?” Sara asked as she waved at Catherine, she waved back. “Yes, we all missed you especially your kids… did they tell you about them?” Grissom asked as he smiled mysteriously. “No they didn’t… what did I have?” Sara asked shocked. “Two girls and one boy” Grissom said as Catherine walked over to them. She bent down and hugged Sara; Catherine felt better knowing that Sara was fine. “Wait… two and one… I had triplets?” Sara asked sounding even more confused. Catherine smiled and nodded, “Surprise, surprise” Sara smiled and looked around the room. “Did Christmas already pass?” Grissom shook his head. Sara lay back down on the bed and rested her eyes, and then she opened them. “I’m so happy, thank you for being there for me I’m sorry about the fight that we had that night I was so afraid…” Sara said as she started to cry. Catherine smiled as she left the room. Grissom looked at Sara and replied, “Your welcome, and I’m sorry for acting the way I did” They looked at each other feeling so many different things it was hard to keep track. The world seemed to be quiet until a baby’s cry was heard as Catherine walked in with three baby carriers. Sara jolted up and smiled as Catherine walked in and placed them on the floor next to the bed so Sara could see her gift to the world. Sara started crying and looked up at Catherine, “Can I hold one of them?” Catherine nodded, as she knew which one to take out of their cozy carrier. Catherine lifted Aurora and placed her into Sara’s arms. She gently rocked her baby back and forth she started to cry. Grissom leaned into Sara and kissed her softly on her forehead, “You two should get some sleep” Sara nodded as she placed her sleeping daughter next to her in the bed and she to fell next to her. Grissom watched them for hours as they slept, he thought about how peaceful they looked and how happy they were going to be. He knew that Sara wanted these beautiful babies and now she had the one who is ruler of the dawn resting in her arms, her special gift.

Return

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment