Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Squeeze

This is mainly a story of how Shifu met Oogway when he was a tiny cub. (If you haven't watched Kung Fu Panda then there's no point in even reading this....)

Chapter 3 - Squeeze

Chapter 3 - Squeeze
( In this chapter Shifu awakes in the Jade Palace, only to find someone who he does not remember, so Oogway tries to help his memory. In a moment you will see why this chapter is called "Squeeze.")

The room was spinning, so disoriented, twisting and turning at every pace. Shifu could tell, and he hadn't even opened his eyes yet! Not that he could anyway, it hurt to much. Every time he went to open them even a tiny slit, it wasn't possible.
What was that? The cub wondered. Faint whisper-no humming...it sounded so far away, Even though in reality it was only a few centimeters away. Shifu listened carefully, it was someone gently singing a Chinese song. The song stopped and he heard someone mumble something a navel like voice.
"This should probably help him a little bit, at least numb the pain enough so he can see."
Shifu wasn't sure, but the surroundings seemed to get a little darker, and then he felt someone gently place his fingernail on his forehead. The fingernails scratched and pressed on his temples, until he felt a cool sensation, and the fingers released him.
Shifu blinked a few times-wait, blink? Yes! Blink! He opened his eyes to the feeling of a frozen numbness in his whole body. Shifu's eyes were so blurry as they tried to adjust to his surroundings. He could see someone standing over him, who was it? ......................A turtle? The young cub held the blankets up to his chin staring at the tall figure fearfully.
Oogway smiled and walked to the edge of the bed.
"Well hello there young one, how are you feeling?"
Shifu cringed back into his pillow, tears in his eyes as the old tortoise moved towards him.
"Shifu, relax..." Oogway placed a cold cloth on his forehead. "You are feverish, and I'm trying to get your teperature down."
Tears flooded into the young cub's eyes. "Pl-please! Don't hurt me!" He sobbed.
The old tortoise smiled gently down at the red panda. "I would never hurt you, don't you know who I am?" Even if Shifu didn't recognize his as his guardian, his parents most likely told him about Grand Master Oogway, the founder of Kung Fu, and Kohai and Shei Lia's old mentor.
Oogway gave a shuddering sigh, when he brought Shifu back to the palace he noticed a ruby amulet around the cub's neck, and Oogway recognized it as Shei Lia's old necklace. Su Lin coming to him, silently asking him to fulfill his task as Shifu's guardian, the horrible visions of deaths of his beloved students, and the Ruby amulet were puzzle pieces that all fell into place.
Kohaii and Shei Lia were dead.
Oogway sighed, closed his eyes, as a small tear went down his cheek.
How did it happen? They were always in the perfect condition! Ready to take on anything. No matter the injury or illness they ever succumbed to, it never got them down. Ever. The old tortoise looked down at the ground, allowing two more tears to slip from his eyelids and hit the floor with a tiny "plip". Oogway never suppressed his emotions, he knew how unhealthy that was. He would often tell his students that, when he saw Kohaii or Shei Lia in deep depression he wold tell them "let your tears flow, do not deny yourself them or happiness will never get through your heart." At that Kohaii would fall to his knees in tears, or Shei Lia would burst into hysterics sobbing into her master's chest. Still, Oogway had never been the one for tears, but this was an exception. Losing the closest people to you in your life had every reason for tears.
The old tortoise sighed and turned his attention to the pair of frightened blue eyes from the bed.
"W-what do you want?.......L-leave me alone!"
Oogway chuckled. "Now that's not something to say to someone who just saved your life Shifu...."
Shifu lowered the covers from his face, glaring skeptically at the giant turtle.
"H-how do you know my name?!"
Oogway smiled. "What do you think Shifu? I can understand why you don't remember me. But I think I have a way that will help you..." With that he old tortoise extended his hand towards the young cub, who shrunk back in terror.
Oogway laughed. "I won't bite Shifu..."
"....." Reluctantly Shifu reached towards the old Master's hand.
"Squeeze my finger."
"O-okay..."
Shifu squeezed Oogway's finger tightly with fierce strength.
"Oh my...heh still as strong as I remember you to be Shifu."
Shifu squeezed harder.
"harder."
Squeeze.
"Harder."
Squeeze.
Shifu continued holding on to the old Tortoise's finger gazing into his gentle smiling eyes.
Those eyes...I-I've seen them before I know I have!
That's when Shifu realized it, memories came flooding back to him filling his head with those beautiful old thoughts...
The old tortoise cradled the young cub in the crook of his arms. Shifu had stopped crying, and was now taking in his surroundings with curious wide eyes.
"His eyes take up at least three quarters of his head..." Kohaii stated, stifling a loud laugh.
Shei Lia whacked him hard on the head.
"OWW..."
"Don't insult your son!"
Oogway reached towards the cub and fondly tickled his tiny fury belly. Shifu giggled and grabbed a hold of Oogway's finger.
"That's quite a grip you have Shifu..."
Shifu giggled and tightened his grip on Oogway's finger.
The old tortoise cleared his throat and coughed, shocked at how strong this baby was.
"You have your father's strength, that is certain."
Shifu blew a razz berry and gave another giggle.
Oogway's smile faded when he realized he could no longer feel his finger!
"Okay...let go now dear."
Shifu stuck his tongue out at the old tortoise and held on tighter
Kohaii laughed and poked at the baby's wrist.
Shifu immidiately lost interest in Oogway's finger and turned towards his father, caressing the large fingers in his tiny ones.
"Master Oogway?"
"...Yes Kohaii?"
The red panda hesitated and looked over at his wife for a second, she smiled and nodded. Kohaii turned back towards Oogway.
"We would be honored if you would accept the task of looking after Shifu if anything happens to us."
The old tortoise stared at his students, without blinking. "You mean..?"
"Yes." Kohaii smiled at him, "To be his Godfather..."
Oogway just stood there for a moment, "But, what about your family?
"You are the closest member of our family master."
" You don't want to reconsider? Giving it to someone who's actually in your family?"
"There is no one we trust more with this task then you
master..." Kohaii said softly giving a bow.
The old tortoise's eyes sparkled as he returned the bow, "I would be honored..." He rocked Shifu gently in his arms, gazing down at him endearingly.

..........Oogway? Yes! Master Oogway! The founder of Kung Fu, Shifu remembered!
He remembered being so proud when Kohaii had told him that his godfather was none other then the founder of the most beautiful martial arts, Supreme master of Kung Fu.
Shifu squinted hard at the old tortoise, then slowly drew his head back, eyes quivering.
".....................Master Oogway?"
Oogway grinned and nodded at the young cub as he drew back his hand.
"So you've remembered..."
Shifu smiled lightly up at the old tortoise. "Master Oogway!.....It is an honor..." the red panda lowered his head in a respectful bow.
Oogway returned the bow.
"So then....I'm in the Jade Palace...?"
"Correct Shifu..."
Shifu's eyes shone. "Whoaaaa....I've always wanted to come here! Baba said when I was older I could-"
Then, he stopped. Ears fell low, eyes filled with tears that fell from his face, soaking the golden blankets.
"Baba........"
Oogway gave a concerned and sympathetic frown. "Shifu..."
Tears came down like waterfalls over the young cub's cheeks.
"Baba!!!"
Another loud sob.
"Ma ma!!!"
The old tortoise sighed and sat at the edge of Shifu's bed.
"Shifu......I understand you're grieving....as well as I. Kohaii and Shei Lia have been my pupils for 8 years... I know what you're going through, and I think it will be easier if we go through it together."
Shifu rose his head. "Wh-what do you mean...?"
Oogway smiled. "To help each other through this, be there for one another. I am your guardian after all."
Shifu wiped his eyes and turned the corners of his mouth enough to show a small smile. "O-okay..."
The old tortoise smiled and got off Shifu's bed. "I am guessing you are hungry..am I right?"
Shifu nodded silently.
Oogway smiled warmly. "Then come with me to the kitchen, and we shall feast..."
Shifu nodded once more, smiling. "Okay!"
With that, he followed the old tortoise into the kitchen.

( In the next chapter Shifu has to make the decision whether he wants Oogway as a master of not, and if he wants to stay at the Jade Palace or not. There will also be an explanation of how Shifu's parents died.)

Chapter Preview!

"Ma ma..? Y-you're going to get better, right Ma ma?"
Shei Lia didn't respond, she was so weak, so tired. She barely had enough energy to turn over, to get into a more comfortable position.
"Ma ma? Th-the doctors can make you better...right? Malaria isn't that bad, r-right...?"
"..........................Shifu.." Shei Lia's voice was merely a thin painful whisper, barely audible.
".....M-my dear Shifu...........do...not be afraid......of death. It-it is n-n-not the end, only a chance for a new...........beginning.....a new life.......the af-after li-fe.
"Ma ma!" The cub wailed. "Do not talk about death! You are going to live, I know it! I promise!"
"..........Shifu, what have I told you about making promises.......................you can-can-not keep?"
Shifu's eyes filled with tears. "Ma ma! Don't say that! You will get better! You will!!"
Shei Lia summoned all the strength she could, as she reached up with trembling hands and unclasped her amulet. She clutched tightly it in her hand, reached out and pulled her son towards her.
Shifu could almost feel the radiation coming from his mother's body. Her skin was as red as a lobster, her fever was so high, that no amount of wiping her forehead could keep it free of sweat.
Shei Lia placed her necklace in her cub's outstretched hand.
"M-ma ma?"
The young mother smiled affectionately at her son and laid back in the pillow taking in a deep breath.
"Shifu..........when.............you-your fath-er and I were young...........he gave that to me......................on our first date. In hopes that we'd always succeed together. One-one-one half of th-the amulet was red..........and the other..one was green. Representing the two-the-two of..us. Shifu.....I'm giving...............this..to you.....in hopes you'll always succeed.........................be............a....wondeful.........Kung-Kung Fu warrior..................like......us....................protect the v-v-valley like your father and-and I. ................................Always remember........................I.........love........you............................my dear..............................little...............cub...................................................always.
Shifu heard a deep sigh coming from her chest and she was silent.
"Ma...ma ma?"
The cub's hands shot to his mother's forehead. To his horror, the burning skin was becoming as cold as stone.
"No.." He whispered hoarsely, tears filling his eyes to the brim.
"No..No!! Ma maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!"

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment