Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - The Toughest Decision

This is mainly a story of how Shifu met Oogway when he was a tiny cub. (If you haven't watched Kung Fu Panda then there's no point in even reading this....)

Chapter 4 - The Toughest Decision

Chapter 4 - The Toughest Decision
( Well here it is, like I promised! The flashbacks of Shifu's parent's death, and the hard decisions he's forced to make! Enjooooy~)

"Ma ma..? Y-you're going to get better, right Ma ma?"
Shei Lia didn't respond, she was so weak, so tired. She barely had enough energy to turn over, to get into a more comfortable position.
"Ma ma? Th-the doctors can make you better...right? Malaria isn't that bad, r-right...?"
"..........................Shifu.." Shei Lia's voice was merely a thin painful whisper, barely audible.
".....M-my dear Shifu...........do...not be afraid......of death. It-it is n-n-not the end, only a chance for a new...........beginning.....a new life.......the af-after li-fe.
"Ma ma!" The cub wailed. "Do not talk about death! You are going to live, I know it! I promise!"
"..........Shifu, what have I told you about making promises.......................you can-can-not keep?"
Shifu's eyes filled with tears. "Ma ma! Don't say that! You will get better! You will!!"
Shei Lia summoned all the strength she could, as she reached up with trembling hands and unclasped her amulet. She clutched tightly it in her hand, reached out and pulled her son towards her.
Shifu could almost feel the radiation coming from his mother's body. Her skin was as red as a lobster, her fever was so high, that no amount of wiping her forehead could keep it free of sweat.
Shei Lia placed her necklace in her cub's outstretched hand.
"M-ma ma?"
The young mother smiled affectionately at her son and laid back in the pillow taking in a deep breath.
"Shifu..........when.............you-your fath-er and I were young...........he gave that to me......................on our first date. In hopes that we'd always succeed together. One-one-one half of th-the amulet was red..........and the other..one was green. Representing the two-the-two of..us. Shifu.....I'm giving...............this..to you.....in hopes you'll always succeed.........................be............a....wondeful.........Kung-Kung Fu warrior..................like......us....................protect the v-v-valley like your father and-and I. ................................Always remember........................I.........love........you............................my dear..............................little...............cub...................................................always.
Shifu heard a deep sigh coming from her chest and she was silent.
"Ma...ma ma?"
The cub's hands shot to his mother's forehead. To his horror, the burning skin was becoming as cold as stone.
"No.." He whispered hoarsely, tears filling his eyes to the brim.
"No..No!! Ma maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!"

_________________________________________________________________________________
"Baba..." Shifu gave a sob. "No..not you to! baba..no! Please
the injuries can heal baba? Right? Baba!! Please tell me they can heal! Can they?! Baba!"
"Shifu.....don't cry my son....Ma- HURK! Ma ma wouldn't want you to cry......n-not her little cub..."
Shifu had been there, only a few moments ago, when Gaio Xun slashed the poison tipped sword across the red panda's stomach, tearing it open, crimson blood spurted out splashing everyone around him.
Kohaii fought back a scream as the poison flowed through his veins, contaminating his blood...or at least, what was left of it. The torrent of pain roared up his whole body searing his skin. Kohaii knew it. He knew it even before the sword tore open his flesh. He knew it when he pushed his son out of harms way, taking the fatal blow to the chest. His time on earth was drawing to a close. It was quite sad, actually. Kohaii still had so much to live for, his son for instance. The little ball of life who had only just been born.
Kohaii knew from what his master told him, not to be afraid of death. Death was a good thing, a place where the living would always be watched, where the dead could be in complete peace.....finally. A new beginning. Shei Lia and Oogway had both said that, and Kohaii believed it. Death was a good thing.
The wounded red panda collapsed to the ground, it almost seemed to happen in slow motion. Kohaii could hear his son screaming his name.......but it sounded so distant....so far away.
"Shifu.....................do...do you remember where the Jade Palace is?"
The young cub sniffld. "I...I guess so-but why do I have to know that right now, you're going to be with me.....aren't you....?"
"Shifu.." Kohaii's voice was now a raspy and hoarse whisper. I'll be with you............you...you know th-th-that r-right? Even if y-you can't see...me...I'll be there..........I love you...."
Shifu sobbed. "Baba!"
Kohaii rolled onto his side, closed his eyes, opened them, closed them, then opened them again.
"S-Su Lin w-will take you to the J-J-Jade Pal-the Jade Pal-"
Kohaii desperately struggled against his dying breath, but it wasn't possible.
He knew if Oogway was here right now he would be so proud that the red panda gave his life to protect his valley, his son.
With that Kohaii allowed himself to slip away.
Shifu sat there staring down at his father's lifeless body, tears collecting in his eyes.
"B-baba....? ......!! NO!! NOO!!! BABA! NO!! OPEN YOUR EYES!! BABA! PLEASE! NO!! BABA!!!!??? DON'T LEAVE ME BABA! BABA?!! BABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!"

Shifu vigorously shook his head, trying to dispel the horrible images in his mind. He wiped tears off his face, giving a small sob.
"Baba....Ma ma..."
" Are you alright Shifu?"
The young cub turned to see Oogway coming up the hill, and sitting beside under the peach tree.
"You are crying..."
"Yeah......sorry Master Oogway.." He murmured softly.
"Why are you apologizing...? You have every right to cry, I'd shoot the person who would say that you don't."
Shifu sniffled. "It-it's so hard! Why-why doesn't anyone care about me...?"
"What do you mean by that young one...?"
"Why have my parents just abandoned me like this?"
Oogway gently touched the top of the cub's head. "They did not abandon you Shifu. It was their time, a new beginning for the afterlife, I know they were accepted in heaven, they had the purest of hearts, no darkness, suppressed anger or sadness ever made them black...and I can see that in you as well Shifu. A pure heart of love and sweetness. That is why they were accepted into heaven, if they ever did make mistakes, God did not hold them to it, for they have gone on in a place where their souls must adjust to the birth of life in the sky. They will never leave us, we are all spiritually connected. A connection the living cannot see, and perhaps, the dead as well..."
"....." Shifu was silent, staring solemnly down at the ground.
" However, I can understand why you feel like that."
Shifu peered up at the old tortoise.
"I can understand why anyone would feel like that in this situation...but they did not abandon you."
Shifu sighed and rested his head against the smooth bark on the tree trunk.
Ooway peered up at the tree and smiled. "Shifu, do you know where we are..?"
The red panda shook his head. "Ummmmmm....a..a peach tree I'm guessing....?"
Oogway chuckled lightly. "True...but not just any peach tree. This tree is called the Peach Tree Of Heavenly Wisdom."
Shifu's eyes widened slightly. "Wow..." But his face quickly tuned depressed again.
Oogway's face turned sympathetic, he peered up at the branches of the trees and knocked the base of the tree. A peach blossom floated downward spiraling slowly, and landing in the cub's hands.
".....?"
Oogway smiled. "Shifu, you are like this peach blossom, it's drying out, trying to shield itself from the coming cold. You however, are trying to shield your heart from so much agony, but both you and the peach blossom are failing."
Shifu sighed, "Yeah, you're probably right..." He murmured sadly.
Oogway lifted up the cub's chin. "But, I think I can help you harness that sadness and pain.. and turn it into something better that will help your mind focus in the long run.....if you trust me."
Shifu's ears crooked in slight confusion.
"It is time for you to choose Shifu, I am your guardian,yes But I cannot be if you do not want me to look after you, to teach you Kung Fu like I taught your parents. If you wish for someone other then me, then I will take you to the valley to find you a home."
Shifu gazed up at the sky without speaking a word, he looked at Oogway and smiled softly.
"You are my guardian master Oogway, therefore I wish for none other then you..."
Oogway's eyes sparkled. "You have no idea how much I wanted you to say that Shifu, it has been so lonely since you and your parents left six years ago, to return home.
Shifu looked at Oogway carefully, silenly.
"Could you....could you promise me one thing though..?
".........yes?"
"Please don't abandon me..." The cub whispered softly.
"....Even if anything happend to me Shifu, we would still be spiritually connected by our hearts. I will be there for you."
eyes sparkling Shifu bowed respectfully at the old Master, who returned it with one of his own.
"It is getting late, come....time to go inside."
Shifu fell into step beside Oogway as they slowly shuffled toward the Palace.

(Well, what did you think? Next chapter is when Shifu and Oogway go to the sacred pool of tears for the first time. WOOT!)

CHAPPIE PREVIEW!!

Shifu walked slowly behind Oogway, trying not to show how out of breath he was.
"M-master Oogway.......wh-where are we...?"
The old tortoise walked past Shifu over to the pool.
"Mmmmm.....Shifu can you feel it? The tranquility that this lake brings?"
"Not really master..."
Oogway chuckled lightly. "You cannot feel that? You need to have a calm mind Shifu, lift the stress from your thoughts and allow peace to enter them. This lake...so much beauty. I discovered it on my early travels around the world from Galapagos Islands. Being herer will give you peace of mind Shifu. Let the power from the water sweep you off into a trance."
Shifu closed his eyes silently, then gasped.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

pixiepumpkin on September 20, 2008, 2:05:07 AM

pixiepumpkin on
pixiepumpkinOogway is very sweet, and loves Shifu as well as Kohaii and Shei Lia, the chapters are going to get very exciting. Plenty new characters will be introduced to te story, when the tournament will be comming in the next 4 or 5 chapters.