Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 13 - The Tournament (AKA The Paka Slam)

This is mainly a story of how Shifu met Oogway when he was a tiny cub. (If you haven't watched Kung Fu Panda then there's no point in even reading this....)

Chapter 13 - The Tournament (AKA The Paka Slam)

Chapter 13 - The Tournament (AKA The Paka Slam)
(You'll looooove this chapter if you like big fights and lotsa love!)

"Are you ready yet, Shifu?"
"Almost!" He groaned. "I don't know what to wear, I want to look special for today!"
Oogway stifled a laugh. "Y-you sound like a girl."
"Hey!"
The old tortoise came up to the young cub. "Anyways, I think I might be able to help you with that." He reached into his bag and removed a small tunic. "Tadaa."
Shifu gave a happy gasp. "Oh!" He gazed at the beautiful piece of clothing. It was navy blue, with golden rectangular buttons lining the middle, on the side of it a golden dog was engraved. "A dog...?"
Oogway laughed. "Oh, it's your zodiac sign."
Shifu's eyes went wide. "I'm a dog??"
Oogway traced his hand over the small print, smiling. "You're very loyal. Which is the most important trait of the dog. You're hard working and sensitive, someone anyone can trust."
Shifu felt his eyes water. "So are you....those are all your traits! And much more, thank you master...I love it so much! You're the best, I love y-
All of a sudden Toi Fu burst through the door. "Hey kid, you're up soon!"
"Oh!" Shifu threw the tunic on and rushed through the door, with his master close behind. "Who's my first opponent Mr. Toi?"
"Emmmm....a fox..I think! ..I'm really not sure kid, if you're up against Lola or Yen Shai."
"Ummmm....what forms do they train under?"
Toi Fu hesitated. "Not sure Shifu...but I know Lola trains under the form of Aikido."
Shifu felt sick. "You're not serious...are you?"
Oogway patted the cub's head. "You'll be fine."
Toi Fu pushed him into the ring. "You're up now!"
Oogway smoothed the cub's fur, and fixed his tunic's collar. "You will do fine my student."
Shifu laughed a nervous look on his face. "Thank you Master...I really hope so!" They both exchanged a bow and Shifu rushed into the ring to meet his first opponent.
Lola was a red fox with a dark orange robe, that was lined with roses, and kanji that Shifu did not understand. She looked to be the age of twelve.
She walked up to him and smiled. "You're so little and cute!"
Shifu smiled awkwardly. "You're pretty?"
Toi Fu came to the center of the ring. "Enough chit-chat!" He snapped. "Let the fight begin!"
"Gen Lai!" He said bowing to her.
Lola gave a tiny grin. "Gen Lai!" She bowed back.
With that, the fight began. Lola took off with a series of jabs, topped off with a chest thrust. Shifu staggered back gasping for breath, as Lola gave him a chest grab and then threw him back. Shifu landed gracefully on his feet in the dirt, before delivering Lola a harsh punch to the face, she relished back, the pain overpowering her face. Shifu took this opportunity to pounce. He held her wrist and stood on her ankles, immobilizing her. Lola attempted to turn her free arm back, knocking the red panda off her. As she got up, Shifu kicked her hard in the stomach, she flew back and hit the ground with harsh force.
Lola chuckled. "I give, I have a much bigger tournament next week, and my arms cannot be broken when I fight...you are certainly strong young one." She bowed. Shifu returned the bow, smiling.
"Shifu, you did great!"
Shifu turned to see his master waving at him smiling.
The cub giggled and got ready to face his next opponent.
The tournament was going well. Shifu had faced off with a nine year old rabbit that knew Ninjutsu, a ten year old raccoon that knew judo, and a seven year old squirrel that knew Taekwondo. At last, he was up against his fininal opponent. Shifu wondered who that would be. Perhaps a giant wolf that knew one of the highest forms of martial arts, oh maybe a bear who had recently mastered the ranks of Kung Fu!
"You have done so well Shifu." His master said cheerfully as he handed him some water to drink. The red panda gulped it down in a second.
"Thanks master! ...I wonder who my next opponent will be."
Oogway chuckled. "Someone who you could definitely take down in a second."
Shifu giggled. "Well I need to get back, wish me luck!"
"Luck." Oogway called after him.
This is it, the moment of truth! My last opponent!! If I beat him or her I'll have won the tournament! My first tournament!!!

His opponent stepped out into the ring.
Shifu's face fell, his mouth gaped open, his eyes popped out and were probably on the floor somewhere. He couldn't believe it.
She strode out into the ring, a calm but hostile look on her face, she was wearing a turquoise vest with a tiger imprinted on the side of the clothing. She was also wearing turquoise sandals, and she had a lily tucked behind her ear. "What on earth are you doing here pipsqueak?!!"
Shifu leered at her. "I was about to ask the exact same thing Wu Lian!" He spat, angrily.
Wu Lian gritted her teeth. "Take this!!" With that, she kicked Shifu hard in the stomach, he reeled backwards, giving a small groan of pain. "Owww..."
Wu Lian smirked. "How on earth did a weak little shrimp like you make it to the fianls?!"
Shifu snickered. "I'll show you in a second! HIYAAA!! He punched her in the face, and threw her over his back.
"LET GO OF ME YOU LITLE RAT!"
"I'd be careful of what you call yourself if I were you Lian!" He sneered.
"GRAAAAAGHH!!" She charged at him, and threw out her fists, he plummeted backwards, into the wall, giving a groan of pain.
Wu Lian propelled backwards with recoil, as the dizzy cub staggered about, trying to figure out which way was up, and which way was down.
Wu Lian charged at him, kicking him straight into the stomach, he hurtled backwards, but landed on his feet, sliding in the dirt. He spun backwards, and rolled under Wu Lian as she pounced at him, missing him by a inch. Shifu flip kicked her with such force, that she slammed into a tree, and out of the ring!
Shifu watched her carefully. Was she going to get up? He blinked once, and she had vanished.
"Huh?!!!" Where had she gone?
"RAAAAAAAAGH!" Using her tail as a propeller she flew forward and punched him straight in the face, connecting with his sensitive nose. The sharp pain ripped through his face.
Wu Lian charged once more, but it was Shifu who acted first. He grabbed her by the arm and threw her like a frisbee up into the air. Then he jumped just as high, and punched her in the face. Wu Lian was completely helpless in the air now. Shifu gave her a couple kicks, she kicked back but it didn't faze him. Finally while they were still falling, Shifu climbed higher in the air and kicked her straight down. Wu Lian plummeted into the earth so hard that a loud boom could be heard, and the whole ground shook.
Oogway was astonished. "I-I never taught him that..!" He gasped.
Wu Lian had hit the ground with such force that she had actually made a red panda shaped pit in the ground!
Shifu gave a triumphant grin. "Wu Lian, you are the first victim of the Paka slam!"
Wu Lian just lay there, motionless.
Shifu started to get worried. "W-Wu Lian..?"
Wu Lian cracked a smile, and pulled herself out of the pit, and limped over to Shifu still smiling. "I never would've expected for someone so young to already have made their own signature move. I underestimated you Shifu. You are strong." She grinned, "I think you deserve the trophy more then me."
Shifu's eyes sparkled. "Wow, thanks Wu Lian!"
Toi fu walked up to the red pandas. "Both of you were fantastic!! But-there can only be one winner, and the winner isssss......Master Oogway's student SHIFUUU!!"
"YAAAAAAY!" Shifu punched the air excitedly. "I WON!!!"
"Way to go Shifu!" Oogway called from the sidelines.
Toi Fu came up to Wu Lian and fastened a silver ribbon onto her vest. Then he walked up to Shifu and handed him a beautiful, shinning trophy.
Everyone screamed with joy and excitement.
"YOU ROCK SHIFU!!!!"
"Isn't he the cutest?!!"
"Look at the adorable little guy!"
Shifu turned and saw Wu Lian smiling at him, he returned her smile as they bowed to each other.
He was in absolute heaven, he decided to give the crowd some more excitement by making a dramatic exit. Shifu went to the edge of the ring, jumped high into the air about to do a flip....but Oogway caught him in his arms instead.
The old tortoise spun the cub around, before hugging him tightly. "You did it! You won!"
"Awwww..." the crowd cooed.
Shifu's face flushed beet red. The crowd wasn't supposed to be mystified by cuteness, they were supposed to be mystified by amazement! "Masterrrrr!! You ruined my dramatic exit!" He whined, trying to struggle free of his master's embrace. Giggling, he gave up and returned the hug.
Wu Lian just stood there, all the new found respect she had felt for Shifu completely faded away, anger and hostility took it's place.
"Wu!"
Wu Lian turned her head to see her master (aka grandfather) behind her. "That was a poor fight! You were taken down by a seven year old baby! Tomorrow's training is going to be extra hard, I'm very disappointed in you..."
Shifu hurried up to Wu Lian. "Hey you were really-" He stopped when he saw tears in her eyes. "Wu Lian..?"
Wu Lian spun around angrily. "I was wrong! You didn't deserve that trophy!!" She yelled, two of the tears going down her cheeks. "You didn't deserve it at all!!!"
Shifu flinched. "What?! Wu Lian what are you-"
She sobbed. "You're nothing but a cold hearted jerk just like him!"
Shifu was really worried now. "Wu Lian...?" He reached his hand out to her. She slapped it away.
"Just get away from me Shifu!!!" She spun around and dashed out of the ring.
"WU LIAAAN!!" Shifu hurried after her. "Wu Lian! Wu Lian!" The air became shrouded with mist, the whole area was sparkling, as he followed her through a small forest. "Whoaaaa... Wu Lian!" He heard soft sobbing. Shifu walked up to Wu Lian, she was hunched over a small fountain, sobbing. "Wu Lian!"
"....Get out Shifu! This is-is m-my sa-cred fountain..!"
Shifu's clenched his fists. "Not untill we talk!" He said firmly, kneeling down beside her. "What is wrong Lian?" His voice was gentle, soothing, making Wu Lian burst into further tears.
"Wh-why would you care?"
".......Because I want to be your friend, and friends should care about each other."
"............You're so lucky.."
"Huh?"
"You're so lucky!!!"
Shifu was confused. "What do you mean?"
Wu Lian sobbed. "The relationship you have with your master...I'd give anything to have that! ..The way he hugged you! And it made me crazy to see you try to get out of it! I'd give anything just for a hug from my master. He's never hugged me, he never even said he's proud of me. ...he's doesn't even care about me.
Shifu put an arm around her shoulder. "Don't say that, I'm sure he does..." He said softly.
Wu Lian shook her head. "No...whenever I fail a contest or something, he'd give me a lecture and extra hard training. Even if I win, he'd usually correct me of one of my stances and ridicules me, then say "Back to training."
Shifu was horrified. He coudldn't even begin to imagine a master like that. If he lost his master would usually cheer him up with encouraging words and say he was proud of him.
Wu Lian sniffled. "What will it take, just to win his love?!" She cried harder, and Shifu pulled her close.
"What about your parents? They seem nice."
Wu Lian rolled her eyes. "Oh yeah...my parents. Sure they hug me and things like that. ..Whatever, it's not like you don't have that.
A lump formed in Shifu's throat, he got to his feet. ".........You're right, I don't have that!"
Wu Lian stared at him.
"I don't have the occasional hugs, and kisses from my parents! My parents died. I lost ma ma to a serious sickness, then baba two weeks after, and then my beloved cousin." Renewed pain washed over him ,as tears filled the cub's eyes. "I...I...I'D GIVE ANYTHING TO HAVE WHAT YOU HAVE!!"
Wu Lian's face turned sympathetic. "I-I'm sorry Shifu...I didn't know."
The cub wiped his eyes. It may be to late for me..in that area, but it isn't for you!" With that he ran out of the forest.
"Wait, Shifu! Where are you going??"
Shifu ignored Wu Lian and ran straight into the dojo, he walked up to Wu Lian's grandfather. "Ummm....mister?" He hesitated. "I'd like to speak to you."
Wu Lian sat there, tears falling into the water.
"Wu Lian?"
Wu Lian turned and saw her master standing behind her, face grim and sad.
"Grandfather! What are you doing here..?"
The elderly red panda stepped up to her. "I just spoke with your friend Shifu. Why didn't you tell me what was bothering you?"
Wu Lian couldn't speak, her eyes were vacant, her face pale.
He..he what?
Her grandfather had a guilty look on her face. "Why did you not tell me..I was making you feel like this?"
Wu Lian bowed her head in sadness. "....i didn't think you'd even care."
"How could you think that?! I'm your grandfather and master! Do you honestly think I don't love you?!"
"I don't know what I'm supposed to think! That pipsqueak had no right to tell you! How dare he invade on my personal-"
"No Wu Lian, I'm glad he told me! I had no idea you were feeling like this......and I'm sorry." He looked right at her and smiled. "I have always loved you, and I am proud of you.
I am proud of you.
Those five words are what Wu Lain had worked all her life for, even to hear them once. The dam finally broke, giving a loud sob, she leaped into her grandfather's embracing arms, crying harder then she ever cried in her life.
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!! AAAAAUGHH!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!"
Shifu gave a triumphant grin, from behind one of the trees.
"My work here is done." With that he retreated into the dojo.
"SHIFUUUUUUUUU!!!!" Shifu turned around to see Wu Lian stomping towards him, her eyes on fire. "I HAVE ONE THING TO SAY TO YOU!!!"
Shifu squinted his eyes shut, waiting for a death blow. Instead he felt Wu Lian's soft lips on his forehead. He opened his eyes.
"I think better of you now...thank you." Wu Lian smiled endearingly at him.
He blushed. "Heehee!"
"Thank you so much for everything Toi Fu and Mei Lian." Oogway said giving a bow.
They returned it.
Mei Lian smiled. "My daughters and I will be moving to the Valley of Peace very soon.
Oogway grinned. "That's great, now Shifu will have another playmate."
Wu Lian smiled sweetly at the cub. "Hey Shifu...can you come here for a moment?"
Grinning, Shifu walked up to the female red panda.
WHACK!
"OWWWWWWWW!!!!!!"
Wu Lian put her hands on her hips. "That's for intruding into my fountain!"
Shifu was steamed. "Why you little-" He started to charge, but his master pulled him back.
Oogway sighed. "...Once again, thanks for everything..."
Toi Fu and Mei Lian smiled awkwardly. "Yes, it was a pleasure to meet you!"
"Alright, let's go Shifu.." Oogway said as he carried a certain squirming and yelling red panda cub away. As they reached the bottom of the steps, Shifu heard it, the annoying voice he was not going to miss.
"IDIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTT!!!"

(Haha? Funny and cute much? Looks like Shifu and Wu Lian have a very awkward friendship, eh?)

Preview, as usual.

"Give it up Oogway, you're dead!" Giao Xun snarled angrily.
"The purest of hearts can always wield the dark ones!" Oogway said, as he held up Giao Xun's sword from his throat. "It is not our way to kill, but I will if I have to.."
"I'm trembling!" Giao Xun said sarcastically.
Oogway fought back every punch, kick and slash from the sword, leering at the jaguar, daring him to take one step closer to the cub.
Giao Xun gave a menacing growl, and leaped at Shifu, but Oogway kicked him straight in the throat. "Do not go near him Giao! This fight is between you and me.. it does not involve him!"
Shifu dodged one of Giao Xun's attacks, and kicked him strongly in the leg.
Oogway's eyes widened in fright. "Shifu..go! Get back to the safety of the palace...hurry..!"
Shifu's eyes went wide. "No master! I will not leave your side!!"
Giao Xun sneered. "Persistent little rat, isn't he?!" Giao Xun attempted to stab the cub, but he dodged it.
Oogway knocked the cub away with a stick. "I said go!"
"And I said NO!"
"Do not disobey me Shifu..!"
"I am this time!"
Giao Xun leaped at Oogway, ready to tear the blade across his throat, but Shifu quickly jumped up, taking the blow to the chest. It seemed to happen in slow motion, there was a sickening ripping noise, as the contents of Shifu's body spilled out of the open wound. He opened his mouth in a silent scream and fell to the ground.
"SHIFU!!"


Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

chaos_kitten8 on September 28, 2008, 7:10:05 AM

chaos_kitten8 on
Comment Deleted

pixiepumpkin on September 28, 2008, 8:39:16 AM

pixiepumpkin on
pixiepumpkinHaha! Really?