Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - The Fear in Their Eyes

Heroes fanfiction. I always wondered what might have happened if Syler hadn''t killed El... if they''d gotten married, maybe they would of had a child- which is what this is about.

Chapter 2 - The Fear in Their Eyes

Chapter 2 - The Fear in Their Eyes
I grabbed a pass as I walked into school and headed to advisory.

"Where have you been Aly? I was worried you were sick!" Elly, my best friend, fretted. I was so used to the alias by then that I responded immediately.

"My Dad told me to pack up our silverware and other kitchen stuff. We're moving today." Her eyes widened in horror.

"Why?" She cried.

"I really don't know." I lied. We shared a long, suffering look about the injustice.

"Where are you moving?" She asked me. I quickly thought of a lie.

"Maine." I said randomly, "Somewhere in Maine. Because of his job."

"Well," She murmured quickly, "You'll have to visit every summer. And text me all the time."

"I will." I lied again. I knew I would throw my cell phone in the garbage as soon as I got home, as well as deleting my facebook, myspace, and email from all the databases. We continued to all our classes, and I said goodbye to all my friends in each. Everything went fine until fourth hour. Elly and I were talking, because we sat next to each other. The teacher had been on the phone for five minutes, arguing with someone.

"I can't believe you're leaving." Elly moaned.

"You'll still have Natasha." I told her, and she looked like she would cry as we looked over at Natasha, as she straightened her hair in the compact mirror she always carried around. She caught us looking at her and waved cheerily.

"She's glad I'm leaving." I said glumly. Elly opened her mouth, about to reject the statement, I was sure, but then the teacher spoke.

"Aly, some policemen want to speak to you. I told them to see you after school, but they insisted. So I told them to just come here."

"Here?" I shouted. She glared at me.

"Don't make me give you detention. They insisted." I sat down angrily, and nervously. I wrang my hands out, as Elly looked at me curiously.

"You didn't do anything wrong, did you Aly?" She asked.

"Of course not." I assured her. There was a knock on the door. I stared at it, my heart pounding. I squeezed my eyes shut as it opened, then I opened them to see the damage.

"Where does she sit ma'am?" They asked, looking confused. Elly looked over at me, then her mouth fell open.

"Where'd Aly go?" She asked. I waved my hand in front of her face, but she still looked around. The three men exchanged glances, and before I could move, they pointed a gun and shot.

I knew instantly it wasn't a real gun. I knew the feeling of getting shot, and of healing afterwards. But nothing like this. Electricity flew through my veins and I fell to the floor, writhing on the ground.

"Bingo." One of them said. Elly looked wildly around at me.

"What? Aly... how did you get over there? You just... and then..." She stopped talking, staring at me with wide eyes. I got up shakily, wincing.

"Congratulations. That actually hurt." I said disdainfully. The teacher got up and was glaring at the two men.

"I demand to know what is going on here! You just tased a student!" She yelled at them.

"This is not Aly Fields." One of them said, pointing at me. "This is El Gray and her father is wanted for murder- we've been tracking him for most of his life, and all of hers." I glared at them.

"He's changed." I spat at them. "I've changed.

"It doesn't change the fact, El, that he's killed. That you've killed." Elly was staring at me, horrorstruck.

"Please tell me he's lying Aly." She pleaded with me.

"My name is El. I'm not going to lie anymore." I told her, and she slowly backed away from me. That hurt.

"El, just come with us. We can make you better. We can make your father better. He is sick, right?" I just shook my head at them.

"El, your father has been sick since your mother died, correct." I nodded slowly.

"And you robbed the store because he was fired. You didn't have any food. Think about it El, why did your mother die?"

"Shut UP!" I screamed at them."My father needs me!"

He wouldn't need you if El was still alive." He goaded. "This is all your fault. All of it."

"You're lying! You've ruined everything!" I screamed at them. I needed to calm down. My hair was static- I was losing control, a fact they had clearly noted.

"Calm down El." One of them cautioned. "This is how that little girl died."

"I... can't!" I screamed. Sparks flew from my fingers. Natasha screamed.

"If you lose control, El, we will have to shoot." One of them said. The other pointed his gun in my direction.

"It doesn't do any damage." I said, grinding my teeth together to resist the impulse. My classmates, watching huddled together as far away as possible looked confused. Sparks flew again as my resolve slipped.

"You're going to hurt someone El." One of them said. I mustered up my energy and released the tension, letting a small ball of energy form in my palm. The students gazed in amazement as I manipulated it move threateningly.

I looked at the two agents. One was the senior officer, I could tell that. He had a hardened look in his eye. The other was the new boy. Probably his first bag & tag. He was staring at the electricity in my hand, trying not to show his fear. He was the one holding the gun. I counted the possiblility of getting shot with the possibility of having a chance to run. Sure, I could punch a hole through the wall or set the building on fire, but I'd prefer not to. I made the electricity larger, more powerful. Then I hurled it at the agents, and turned on my heel and bolted for the door in the back of the classroom.

I never made it.

I heard a shot sound behind me. Only a few seconds later I felt a searing pain in the back of my head, and I fell, unconscious before I hit the floor.

"I told you- never shoot them on the back of the head, and certaintly not near witnesses!" The younger officer grumbled an apology as I slowly came back into consciousness.

"Well, you can tell the boss why she's dead. I knew it was too early to take you into the field, but he insisted..." I opened my eyes and say Elly through the two mens feet. Her mouth fell open as I mouthed 'don't make a sound' at her. She nodded silently. The two men walked away from me and I peered to see their backs were turned. I silently got up, much to the amazement of my classmates. Using my father and my "unique" abilities I flipped them around and pushed them against the wall. Both of their guns fell to the floor at my feet. They stared at me, incredulous.

"I moved the sweet spot." I told them, "You'll never find it." I felt something pop into my mouth as the wound on the back of my head healed. I spat it out into my hand.

"Nice bullets." I said, holding it out for them to see.

"Oh, my, GAWD!" Natasha yelled, I turned to stare at her. "You're a FREAK! You, you men! Why aren't you doing anything?"

"They can't." I told her. "I'm holding them there."

"Yeah right. I think being able to heal and throw electricity around is freakish enough."

"See," I said hotly, "This is why we haven't come forth before. You call us freaks, and yet, you know you're afraid. Because all of you are so scared of things that are different that you can't handle it! That's why you're hunting us, to lock us up, claiming we're terrorists- we're only dangerous because we're running for our lives!

"Do you understand what it's like for us? It's hard. Running all the time, afraid of being detected."

"For good reason." The agent spat out at me. I glared at him.

"Shut it." I told him. I'd never heard so much hate in my voice. I turned my glare back to Natasha. Her eyes widened, the mascara making them look even larger. I locked the door as I heard footsteps running to the door. I turned back to the agents.

"Did you bring backup?" I asked. They shook their heads. I grinned. Then, for the last time, turned back to Natasha.

"You said... us." She whimpered. "Is it just you and your dad? Or are there more?"

"More." I whispered. She heard the pain in my voice and looked at me, sensing a weak spot.

"Don't you like it?" She asked, "Being... special?"

"Special!" I snorted. "Yeah. Sure, whatever. It can be a blast. But with a good thing comes responsibilities. We can't normal people (normals) know. It would be disasterous. It'd be like the X-men movies, as crazy as that sounds. You would want us 'mutants' to identify ourselves, so you knew. All that jazz. You would never really trust us. Isn't that right, agents?" I turned back to them, letting them drop.

"Stay." I ordered, doubling my voice so that they would obey. I heard pounding on the door. They didn't move.

"POLICE!" Someone yelled on the other side of the door. I heard something heavy striking it. I licked my lips nervously. Then I heard him.

"El!" It was my father. "El! I'm coming!" Then the police officers responding to his yelling.

"Sir, you need to stand back. Sir! Sir if you resist we will be forced to-" There was a thud and the officer was silent. Elly stared at me, wide-eyed.

"Did your father just kill the police officers?" She asked, looking frightened.

"No." I said nervously. I hope not, I thought to myself. "He just knocked them out." The door flew open, and I lost my control over the agents. They younger one whipped out his gun and shot, multiple times at Gabriels image, which was materializing in the dust. He stumbled back a couple of steps, and then the man was thrown against a wall. The other was smarter. He grabbed me in a split second with a tranquilizer needle, the kind used to knock out horses, poised under my neck. The younger agent panicked. I had assumed that he was the 'one of them' in their rule- "One of us, one of them." White flames shot out of his hand, making their way to my father, who laughed.

Gabriel pointed his finger at the agents head. I gasped.

"Dad, DON'T!" I yelled at him. He looked over at me. His eyes widened.

"Get your hands off my daughter." He snarled. "Or I kill him." He moved his finger slightly, causing the screaming noise I was all too familiar with. The young agent screamed. As did quite a few of my friends, most of whom had met my dad, and agreed with me that he was awesome.

"I will not release her until you release him, and come with us. Peacefully." The agent said, and my dad growled angrily. He glared at my captor and quickly scalped the man. I glanced back at my classmates, and saw their horrified looks. Elly was staring at me, her mouth wide open in horror. The agent still alive stabbed me with the tranquilizer. I gasped as my vision faded.

"El!" I heard my father scream, outraged before someone grabbed me from behind and I passed out.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment