Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - slight regret

The flames consumed my life, but I'm back on my feet and I shall never cease to search for the right course down the road of destiny, but in the end will I have the strength? OC
comment?porfavor:]

Chapter 3 - slight regret

Chapter 3 - slight regret
The Illustrated French News

Attempted robbery in France’s world renowned Louvre!

A mysterious burglar clad in black came into the night trying to the steal the manquant clé Faberge. The beautiful egg encrusted in gold adorned with rubies and emeralds rumored that inside lies a most magnificent treasure. Yet the long lost key has never been recovered. Police believe the thief was out to break the Faberge open. Luckily guards took notice of this and rushed to the scene. The man had oddly vanished. Leaving only a silver ring. Detective Walters and fellow policemen are keeping a very close eye on the precious Faberge, assuming this robber may appear again.
……………………………………………………………….

I lie restlessly on the fancy headrest, beautifully stitched together with small tassels coming from its sides. My husband lies in silent slumber besides me with one protective arm firmly around my waist. He looks like such a sweet little child.

My thoughts wander back and forth. I hate nights like these. When the air feels dryer then dead leaves. These are the nights when my mind backpedals to things I really regret.

Gingerly I lift Raoul’s limp arm from around me. I press my fingers to my temples, feeling the headache just on the brink of emerging. Sliding from the bulky elegant bed linen I step onto the silken carpets. It feels like showers of coldness dripping over my body. There’s a warm housecoat lying on the nightstand. I pull it on and slip my chilly feet into the white slippers.

Quietly I walk out from our bedroom to the powder room. I tie my hair into the loosest of buns and run the faucet until the water is lukewarm.

“What a mess you’ve become,” I sigh at my reflection. Three years have certainly taken the toll upon me. My once fresh beauty now seems like a thing of the past. Frequent headaches, distant memories, and forgotten feelings that lie dormant inside of me.

I splash the water onto my face, feeling it wash away all my faults and insecurities.

“Mama,” a small squeaky voice calls to me from the entryway. I dry my face quickly with the green hand towel.

“Hello there sweetheart,” I smile at my little Julian, “Why aren’t you in bed?” I suddenly wonder how long he’s been standing there watching me.

He looks down awkwardly, fiddling with his tiny fingers. He walks to me and tugs on my nightgown. His face is hidden in a mess of dark cinnamon hair. I bend down and brush the bangs from his olive eyes. My face saddens at him. His only words are limited to “mama” and “papa”. Other then that he refuses to speak. He pouts sourly like an upset fish.

I grin and tickle his sides. A laugh breaks out as he struggles to fight my fingers off. After another round of silly laughs and tickles I take his small hand into mine, “Come now, let’s go back to bed.”

The smile falls into a frown as he follows me to his room. I tuck him into the bedding. I kiss him on the forehead and bid him goodnight.

I feel those olive eyes on my back as I turn to leave. When I return to the bedroom I find Raoul still fast asleep. Not even a blast of the most clamorous thunder could wake that man!

I sigh and pull out the bun from my hair. My tresses fall in a swirling motion, covering my back. I kick off the slippers and untie the housecoat.

Did I make a mistake? I had a wonderful clean healthy life, with a loving spouse and a gorgeous child. Yet was I happy? Did I make the right choice?

I bite my chapped lips, huddling in the covers. Raoul did take good care of me, but I always feel like he’s gone when I need him the most. Tomorrow he’s leaving for some trip in London. He’ll be gone for almost two and a half weeks!

“Darling, is something the matter?” Raoul finally stirs from his sleep.

“Just tired I guess…” I smile, holding his hand. He leans forward and gives a playful kiss. “Must you leave tomorrow?”

“I have no choice…” he says, stroking my hair.

“Will you come back soon?” I murmur.

“I’ll be here before you know it,” he promises.I smile sadly, pressing my head against his chest. His chin rested in my curly hair. I feel like laying like this forever. It almost seems that long...

There’s a crack in the window where the curtains meet. It lets in morning’s first light. The sun plays on our faces.

“I have to get dressed, my love,” he tells me getting out of the bed. I remain nestled in the sheets. He leaves the room and I feel so alone. Even in the company of another I still feel somewhat lonely. Shall I ever find my missing half? Or am to remain feeling like I’m not whole?

Even though I hate to say this… There truly was only one man who made me complete. And I’m sure he’s long dead and gone.

Yet it’s only a passing thought that I forbid myself to dwell upon. Never again will I fall upon the grace of my hideous…yet beautiful Angel of Music…

I know I ought not to think of such foolishness, but the thought still lingers.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment