Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - a visit from an old friend

The flames consumed my life, but I'm back on my feet and I shall never cease to search for the right course down the road of destiny, but in the end will I have the strength? OC
comment?porfavor:]

Chapter 6 - a visit from an old friend

Chapter 6 - a visit from an old friend
[/“That’ll do Ebony. I think you’re improving a great deal. You ought to feel proud,” Madame Giry comment, twisting the key on her necklace with tense fingers.

But Ebony didn’t feel proud. She felt slow and pathetic. Her limbs were aching and sore, but not because of her burns. Perhaps more out of sheer exhaustion and embarrassment.

“Thank you Madame…” she pants, wiping sweat from her brow. The mirrors are evil creatures. Revealing her miserable state. I’m shall never be a dancer. Brother can never be proud.

“Recovering takes time, child,” Madame Giry says in a soft voice. “Now be on your way.”
“Yes Madame… And thank you,” Ebony puts on a fake smile to please, limping out the doorway.

Madame Giry rubs her temples. That girl tries so hard, but with legs like those I wonder if it’s worth it… Her movements were sloppy and ungraceful, yet that determination she has was something to wonder at.

A shift of action is heard in the silence.

Shadows cast upon the older women’s face as she looks into the mirrors. Feeling a familiar presence. There’s nothing there… There never will be anything… He’s gone.

Yet something deep inside her wonders if he truly is gone. She hadn’t heard anything from him since that night, but still…it was like he was here. Watching from the shadows, silently and carefully.

“Is… Is someone there?” she whispers quietly. I’m going quite mad… Her eyes search the room. It suddenly feels a great deal smaller. The silence is pressing, like when you’re speaking to someone who can’t find the right words to say. “Erik…Is it you? Have you been watching us?”

“Have you missed me?”

She stands in shock. Never did she expect an answer. He was alive! He didn’t bother to tell her, but she didn’t blame him. After that night he probably never wanted to speak to anyone again.

“I…I can’t believe it,” she nearly laughs, “How is this possible? I thought you were dead,”

“No, but perhaps death would have been more pleasant,” his voice sounds edgy and harsh.

“I’m sorry,” she whispers gazing thoughtfully into the glass. It was a thin piece of glass but the barrier between them felt huge, “I’m sorry for everything, but you have to understand I acted on what was right. I was frightened for that girl’s safety.”

“Is that so? Well I’m not here to dig into the rights and wrongs of the past,”

“Then what have you come for?” her voice quivers slightly.

“That girl… Mme. Valette, I don’t think she’s fit for the opera’s ballet. She ought to be removed,”

“Not fit? Have you any idea what she went through? Do you?” she gasps, appalled.

“She’s a horrible dancer… It’ll ruin the performance,”

“I can’t believe you…” she mutters, “I can’t believe you’d ask such a thing,”

“I’m not ‘asking’,” he snaps. She glares at the mirror.

“Why are you hiding?” she asks.

“That…That is none of your concern! You know my requests, work it out with the manager.

She sighs, “I wouldn’t promise you anything… She can’t help the way she is. I believe with more practice she could exceed,”

“Not likely, but you would know more of this art then I,”

“The next performance isn’t for a few more months, give her until then,” she explains, but his response is only silence.

“Madame… That’s a very interesting necklace,”

“That is quite irrelevant, Erik!” she exclaims.

“Do you realize what that key’s worth?” his voice sounds surprised.

“This old thing? I found it lying in a puddle on the sidewalk when I was little. I doubt it has any worth at all!” she says staring at the little key dangling from her necklace. True it was very beautiful, a goldish color with a most peculiar shape for a key.

After a few long moments of silence she guesses he must have left. Her heart pounds in her throat. She clasps the head of the cane tightly.

“It’s true… I missed you,” she whispers.

color]

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment