Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - behind the mirror

The flames consumed my life, but I'm back on my feet and I shall never cease to search for the right course down the road of destiny, but in the end will I have the strength? OC
comment?porfavor:]

Chapter 7 - behind the mirror

Chapter 7 - behind the mirror

“So this is the room?” Ebony asks, shivering from the cold.

“I guess, it’s supposed to be boarded up though…” I mutter looking at the scattered planks before me. The spaces are big enough for someone to get through…

“I think this is a bad idea, Meg… We could get hurt,” she says nervously, the candle light shakes.

“Hold that steady, and hold this too,” I give her the small bag with the mask inside of it.

“Meg! You’re not going in there are you? It’s so dark you could step on broken glass or worse!” she cries.

“Now don’t be silly! I’ll be fine as long as you hold that candle steady!” I tell her in a harsher voice then I intended. She looks down sadly. “Alright here I go…” I decided for such an occasion as sneaking into a underground lair, wearing trousers rather then a dress would have been more proper. Clad in stolen man’s garments I stick a booted leg through the opening. Something soft crushes beneath my foot.

Ebony holds her eyes with her hand; “This is going to be a disaster! I never should have agreed to come!”

“Oh stop complaining, you’re not the one who’s climbing into this broken down room!” I sigh, turning my body and slipping my other leg into the space. Another weird crushing sound.

“What’s that noise?” she asks.

“I don’t know…” I admit, quite curious myself. Now to get the top half of my body in… With little effort I slip through, landing awkwardly, things crushing beneath me. A sweet fragrant invades my nose. The scent is strong, making me a little lightheaded.

Ebony sticks her head in the opened space, “Here take the candle,” she whispers. I greedily take it from her shaking hands and light up the floor, “What’s that smell?”

“Why…Why I can’t believe it!” I gasp astounded staring at the floor.

“What is it? What’s wrong?”

“Roses! Hundreds of them!” I laugh, picking one up. It turns to dust in my fingers, “Dead roses…”

“That’s bizarre… Meg this was a bad idea, I have a very bad feeling about this…” she cries.

“Here hand me the bag, Ebony… It’s your turn to come in,”

“What? You said I only had to accompany you here!” she practically yells.

“Shh, you’ll wake the whole opera house up!” I scold, grabbing the bag, “Come on! We don’t have all night!”

She sighs, “How do I even get in here?”

“Just stick your legs in first, and then the rest of you follows,”

“Easy for you to say,” she mutters, placing a leg in gingerly, “Ow, ow, ow” she groans.

“I could do it, so can you!” I cheer. Shakily she sticks her other leg in. Her thin frame practically falls through the crack.

“Ah,” she moans, landing in a bed of dried roses. I help her up.

“Ok, are you ready?”

“No!”

“Good, let’s find the mirror,” I say, shedding light on the walls. Both of us gasp at how tattered it is. Paint peeled off like from a knife. Strips of it dangle from the sides. Everything is thrown around and completely destroyed.

“My God Meg… What happened in here?” she murmurs quietly.

“I… I haven’t the slightest idea,” I whisper back. I remember this room was so beautiful and elegant, now it was in total ruin.

“Meg I think we ought to go, I’m scared!”

“As am I, but I simply must do this,” I reply, shaking slightly. “There! There’s the mirror!”

The surface is covered in a thick layer of dust, beneath lies deep cracks. Yet it still stands with an air of mystery, looming over us ominously. I touch the faded gold frame.

“This is it,” I can’t believe this! My fingers tug the sides of the mirror. Please open…

It opens with a bloodcurdling screech. No bricks… Just pure darkness.

“Oh my God! You weren’t joking,” Ebony gasps, “There… There really is a passage. I thought you were mad!”

I take a step into the darkness, blood runs from my face, my pulse quickens. My eyes are stuck wide open. I shiver with fright.

“Meg we don’t know what we’re getting ourselves into! This is a catastrophe waiting to happen!”

I’m starting to agree with her. What was I thinking? But I was a girl possessed. I never give up. Never.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have brought you… If you’re frightened I understand…” I explain, “You…You can leave me. I wouldn’t mind,”

“Leave you? Are you mad? You must come back with me!”

“I cannot! This is something I must do!” I cry, “You don’t understand… But this is important to me!”

She stares at me long and hard, then breathes in slowly. Her eyes shut tightly, “I…I’ll go with you,”

“Thank you Ebony,” I smile, patting her arm.

…………………………………………………………..

Christine’s POV

“Driver are we there yet?” I ask, rubbing my gloved fingers together. The cold air licks my face even through the thick walls of the carriage.

“We’re real close, Missy,” he says, in a gruff accent. I close my eyes, picturing the Opera House. My mind eye sees the grand entry, the marble floor, and the long staircase. I think of the theater, with the golden sculptures. Always watching… Unseen eyes…. Everywhere!

It had been just a week since Raoul left, when my mind came crashing down. I had left my warm safe house and little child, to return to the world I thought had been erased permanently from life. Would they welcome me back with open arms or glare in suspicion? Shall I be embraced by old friends or shunned by new faces. It didn’t matter. I loved them all, but it didn’t matter what they thought of me. Not now…

It was he… That’s whom my heart longed to see. My eyes were watering with fatigue. Would he recognize me? The worst question dwelled in the deepest part of my mind… What if he wasn’t even there? Perhaps he died of a broken heart or worse.

A tear rolled down my cheek. For three years I lived under my husband’s protection, but I longed secretly to visit my poor Angel…

“’Bout another ‘alf an ‘our, Missy”

…………………………………………..

Meg’s POV


It feels like an eternity of walking through this thick darkness. Ebony trails closely behind me. Never do we dare say a word. Just the sounds of our footsteps and soft breathing fill the air. The candles had already died out, but luckily deeper into this labyrinth dim torches were propped into the walls. Still it was so dark and gloomy down here.

This blackness is consuming, even in the dim light. I feel it dancing in my hair, running down my throat. My heart rams against my chest.

“I think we’re almos-” I gasp, falling down what feels like a flight of stairs. I yelp in pain as my head strikes something solid.

“Meg!” Ebony cries rushing down the flight of steps, “Oh Meg!”

“I’m fine,” I lie, delicately touching where I got hit. My fingers are covered in a warm liquidity substance. Blood! The pain envelops me, but it feels more numb then anything.

Ebony is kneeled at my side; “You’re bleeding! I told you this was a bad idea!” she sobs.

“Don’t worry about me,” I tell her, “It’s not that bad, let’s keep going…”

“No way! Are you mad? We’re going back right now!” she yells, but then softens her face revealing how frightened she is, “Here let me help you up.”

She offer a hand that a gladly accept, “Are you ok?”

“Just dizzy, but it’s a small cut, nothing serious,” I explain, “We’ve come to far to go back now!”

She bites her lip nervously, “But you’re hurt…”

“Really I’ll be fine,” I say firmly, “I think we’re really close… Look down there,” I point to the glossy lake beneath the staircase. I find myself lucky I didn’t fall into that murky water!

“Why Meg- a lake! How can this be?” she exclaims, edging closer to the wall. I grasp the rail, letting the disorientation pass.

………………………………………..

Christine’s POV

I stretch my head out of the window, not believing my eyes. There it is! The Opera Populaire stands as magnificent as I remember. The driver hops off and politely opens the door.

“Well here we are, Miss, that’ll be a franc,” he says, extending his hand. I give him a small bag of money, “This is more then-”

“Please… Keep this a secret, don’t tell anyone my whereabouts. Please,” I beg him, with pleading eyes.

“Alright then Missy,” he smiles greedily taking the pouch. I depart from the carriage and gaze at the nighttime sky. I gaze at the scene around me. Lights everywhere. Even though it must be past midnight people stroll the streets of Paris. I’m home.

……………………………

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment