Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - official return

The flames consumed my life, but I'm back on my feet and I shall never cease to search for the right course down the road of destiny, but in the end will I have the strength? OC
comment?porfavor:]

Chapter 11 - official return

Chapter 11 - official return
The Illustrated French News

Another Attempted Robbery!

Yesterday at the stroke of midnight, the mysterious robber appears again at the Louvre. Despite that the manquant clé is heavily guarded, this thief cleverly and inconspicuously passed our watchmen soundlessly. If it weren’t the notable Detective Walters noticing this criminal, the Faberge may have been long gone. In spite of this, the robber was not caught, but police are beginning a very serious and thorough investigation. Detective Walters assures the public and the management of the Louvre that no harm will come to the precious egg.

………………………………

Meg’s POV


“Ebony have you seen my ring anywhere?” I ask, lacing my ballet slippers on. She’s still in bed, claiming that her private lesson holds later this day. Again with another excuse! Today she complains of a blistering headache.

All the other girls are already at practice, but I remain behind. Even though Maman will not approve of my being late I feel I must speak to Ebony privately and at once.

“No,” she mumbles, wiping her sleepy eyes. Her wheat-colored hair falls carelessly around her shoulders sticking up at all ends.

“Are you not feeling well?” I inquire, tying back my hair with rosy red ribbon. A gift from Monsieur Bellamount…

“I don’t really know,” she mumbles into the pillow.

“Um… About last night,” I begin, staring at her seriously. She lifts her gaze up to me. Her eyes look slightly more alert. I bite my lip nervously trying to put this nicely.

“What of it?” she asks, sitting up strait. Her words sound somewhat harsh. I wish to be tender with the subject.

“What happened is a secret! No one is to know of what happened. Swear to me you won’t tell a living soul,” I explain gravely.

“Of course! Who would I tell, Meg? Who?” she says, her fingers clasping tightly around the pillow with that frightful flame of anger in her eyes.

“I know… But I do feel rather bad about bringing you along. It wasn’t my proper judgement, and I shouldn’t have pulled you into something as awkward as… that. We were both in a very dangerous situation,” I tell her recalling the tension in the air.

“I understand,” she whispers, “I… I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have… Well react in the way I did,” she says looking down at her ghostly white hand clenching the sheets. Temptation told me to ask her a bit more about what exactly happened. Though prudence tells me to keep to myself even if bizarre thoughts were bubbling in my mind. What if e she holds secret affairs with the Phantom?

“You must not tell anyone of his existence,” I warn her.

“I’ve already told you, I shan’t say a word!” she cries. I bite my lip and turn to leave, but quickly glance back.

“Thank you,” I whisper, but she does not respond.

Ebony’s POV
Angry tears run down my face, sloshing into my mouth. I wipe them away fiercely with my arm, but what’s the use? It burns me up that some lunatic would remark about me in such a hardhearted way. If he didn’t think me a good dancer, why on earth would he have bothered to ask me to dance?

It’s as if they’re all mocking me. Not just him, but everyone! They all treat with disdain because I do not attend the normal practices. Even Meg acts like she doesn’t trust me about what happened last night.

I wish to dance more then anyone could possibly imagine! A yearning I’ve had since I was a little girl! Of all the bad things that could happen to a person, loosing your hopes, dreams, and loved ones is possibly the worst. I can still remember how I watched all that I cherish be snagged away from me in a flicker of a flame.

Brother… I run my fingers across his portrait. He had the kindest eyes and the sweetest smile. Such silky gold hair and Always ready for a good time or laugh.

It was my fault he was dead! If only I had moved faster! No, I was completely frozen stiff that night as I looked at everything falling apart. It was like some horribly vivid nightmare you couldn’t escape.

“Be strong Ebony, and keep trying. Once you have determination nothing can pull you down!” Brother’s words ring in my remembrance of him. That’d be something he would tell me to do…. I can’t let this obstacle of my disability allow me to give up. All I need is to clear my mind of all this negativity and rise to brighter thoughts! Sucking in a large breath, I muster my inner strength.

So instead of moping the whole day I decide I ought to make use of myself and perhaps explore the opera house a bit. With one last swipe at the tumbling tears I slip my feet into my worn boots.

It’s an awfully gigantic building, and I feel I’ve only seen a small portion of this place. Everything is so silence and still. Other then a few scattered maids, there’s hardly anyone around. My guess is that they’re all in the theater or the studio.

I stroll down a shadowy hallway, my fingers glazing the walls with a feathery touch. It’s eerily quiet here, so irregularly motionless. The walls are painted an ugly deep green with little gold designs decorated into the tops and bottoms of the walls. Beneath my fingers the textures feel rough and jagged. I snatch my hand away in fear I the skin might break.

Suddenly a woman with dark brown curls falling from a loose bun rushes through the hallway. She stares at me curiously, her wide doe eyes boring through me.

“Pardon me,” she says in hushed tone. She appears frantic to get into the door I stand before. Why does she appear so familiar?

“Do I know you?” I ask, gazing into her face. I suppose on my part that’s rather rude, but I swear I’ve seen her before…

“No,” she whispers passing me, “We’ve never met.” Her voice sounds silvery and soft. The door opens briskly smacking the ugly green wall with a shrill thud. Before I can say anything else, the door is shut at my face. I hear the lock click.

Meg’s POV

My slippers grace the floor with swift poised brushes as my arms daintily moves upwards. Maman surveys us with hawk-like eyes. I try to imagine myself as a swan floating upon a lake, but I keep glancing around wondering where he is.

Truly is he watching us? The though is rather unsettling… Even though I do consider myself a good dancer, I’d hate to imagine someone like that just inspecting us or something…

“Meg, keep your chin up!” Maman says sharply over her shoulder as she strides down the row.

“Yeah Meg,” Suzette whispers, “Loosen up a bit, you look like a stiff old maid!” She snickers, but I ignore her. My mind is focused elsewhere.

I sigh and stretch downwards, thrusting outwards. My eyes pinned to the new blood red chairs in the theater. Everything about the renovations seems amiss. It’s almost too new. I miss the old fashioned feel the old theater had…

All of a sudden I find myself face flat on the brutally cold ground. I glare up at Suzette who had stuck her pointy little foot out.

“Oh…I’m every so sorry,” she cries, “I do have such long legs!” In the background I hear the girls giggle amongst themselves. She offers a hand, but I gladly refuse it.

“Alright, what’s all the commotion?” Maman asks bitterly.

Before I reach my feet, a shrill scream is heard as a heavy sand bag lands with a thwack! Right where Suzette had been! Luckily she moved out of the way in time!

Maman whips her head up as do we all. Nothing… A few stagehands rush to the scene, trying to figure why that happened.

“It’s the Phantom!” someone whispers loud enough for us all to hear. Maman looks nervously towards us all with grave eyes.

“Girls, practice is over for the day!” she tells us. The ballet dancers scatter away from the scene, but I remain. I keep my eyes glued to the ceiling, attempting to find him with my searching eyes.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment