Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Life in Someplace Else

This is my book. I have no name for it yet cause it isn't done, but if you want you can post an idea for its name.

Chapter 1 - Life in Someplace Else

Chapter 1 - Life in Someplace Else
Chapter One
Life in someplace else.

(NAMES: The main Characters name, Ladula, is actually pronounced "luh DO luh" just to make sure no one miss-pronounces it...)

It was noon. Heavy drops of rain raced down the surface of every
window, then faltered, waiting for the others to catch up. Beyond the window
was a day that every other person that lived here was used to; the beautiful, vivid green of the trees, and smooth, peaceful gray of each rain-filled cloud. Both the sun and clouds were fighting to be seen, but the sun fought a losing battle. Just like normal. Today, however, was anything but normal. Ladula, for the first time in her life, was free. She started her way into The Forest. It was enchanting.The dull gray light was filtered through the many leaves of each and every tree making all light green. The sky could not be seen on the ground, and climbing up one of those century-old trees was the only way she could find a place where she could touch the sky. Ladula was wonderful at spotting little nooks and crannies that no one else cared to see--even if they tried--and, she found her way to the tip-top branches of a tree very near a stream in the middle of The Forest in no time.There she saw the perfect spot to put her inventive mind to work. At once, Ladula made a small, nearly-unnoticeable mark on her perfect tree and set to work. She sparingly gathered each best twig, branch, and leaf that had fallen off a tree within about twenty feet of her new home then climbed back up the tree with her collection of building materials. She took the twigs and branches first, and thatched them together, her quick fingers used to weaving materials in and out of each other. Once she finished she had a small, round, thatched roof plenty strong and about five feet wide. To water-proof it from the rain, Ladula spent a few hours collecting sap onto the thick, large leaves she found earlier and pressed them onto her roof, she placed her roof above the wide trunk and branch area that was large enough for her to lie down on comfortably, and decided to go to sleep and finish work tomorrow.Tomorrow was sunnier than usual. The Forest was still quiet, but today, there was a quaint dog-like yelp that Ladula had very distantly remembered, but it was a memory she could not quite put her finger on; like a dream. Guessing the animal was at a distance, she continued on to her journey down to the town where she bought some green fabric made for the outdoors, rope, extra heavy-duty thread, a needle, and a wonderful, hand-made pocket-knife that had a hard, wooden handle, a blade the length of her middle finger, and an array of other helpful tools like miniature scissors, a screwdriver, and a skeleton key that fit most common locks.Ladula found her way back to the Home Tree very quickly and began making curtains for the walls of her Home. The finished curtains had a very nice effect on the interior of her Home; which ended up having a sort of mattress of leaves and grasses, the green fabric, and a softer, more comfortable material to sleep on and use as a blanket. With her Home finished, Ladula had more time to explore The Forest and find out interesting things that she would surely need to know later, like that the stream near her Home Tree ran with fresh, cool water. She also discovered that there were fields near the edge of The Forest that were tended by most of the towns-folk that had vegetables for anyone to take. With all this said and done, she climbed up the Home Tree and lay down to sleep for the night. This is how Ladula's journeys began; how she starts her life in someplace else.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Tala777 on November 18, 2008, 1:58:24 PM

Tala777 on
Comment Deleted

AileyKara on January 8, 2009, 10:57:25 AM

AileyKara on
AileyKaraThanks!

AileyKara on November 18, 2008, 9:31:31 AM

AileyKara on
AileyKaraIf anyone likes this story and wants me to continue adding the rest I will. Please tell me if you like it. If you don't like it, tell me why, I really want to become a better writer.

Thanks!
AileyKara