Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Star Point

AU. Hikaru never entered the professional Go world, opting instead to placate Sai with NetGo and Go Salons. Years pass by and now Hikaru is a normal office employee going about his daily life until…

Chapter 3 - Star Point

Chapter 3 - Star Point
Note: Hikaru's age is around 26 if you're wondering. And he's married to Akari for the sake of convenience. If you have questions, I can answer them through PMs, or you can leave it in the review. Lastly, sorry for the extremely long wait, it WILL happen again. Now excuse me, because my fried fish is burning.

Star Point

It was both refreshing and amusing meeting the two insei at the ramen shop by coincidence. He'd left the shop feeling much more light-hearted and carefree than when he'd entered, there was even a slight bounce in his steps on the way home. He was looking forward to watching the ongoing improvement of those two lively insei on their pursuit in the Go world. They were definitely going to make waves.

He sighed as he opened the door to his apartment home, and was greeted by the wafting scent of curry coming from the kitchen area. Moments later, Akari's head popped out from behind the kitchen wall, greeting him cheerfully. "Welcome home Hikaru."

"I'm home," Hikaru answered her, smiling brightly and eyes twinkling, "smells good." He set his suitcase on the floor leaning against the wall, taking his work shoes off with ease and entering the hall, heading towards the sitting room, a small grin still on his face. "Well, someone seems happy today," Akari noted coming up from behind Hikaru, holding onto a steaming pot, her eyebrow raised at his demeanor, "What's up?"

"I met a few interesting kids today," Hikaru answered quite vaguely, taking off his suit jacket and loosening his tie before sitting down on the sofa before elaborating, "they play Go, insei actually."

"Oh?" Akari commented neutrally, though she had given herself away with her tone, and Hikaru could tell she was even more interested by the slight shine in her eyes that appeared when he mentioned Go.

"Maybe you'll meet them someday," Hikaru teased her, turning his twinkling eyes up at Akari, his laptop pulled onto his lap. He turned back to face his laptop, getting back into work, "Call me when dinner's ready."

Knowing what Akari's answer was, he focused on the opened documents littering across the screen and the two excel spreadsheets filled with numbers, dates, names and list of places.

It had been an even two hours before he stopped and looked at the time. 11:38, he sighed, saved his work, setting his laptop aside and stood up and stretched for a bit. Quickly, he took his now empty bowl of curry sitting innocently beside him and set it inside the similarly empty sink. Heading back to the sitting room, he found Akari curled up, sleeping peacefully on the couch beside the sofa. Shaking his head in fondness at the sight, he picked her up as gently and quietly as possible and set her in bed, pulling the covers over her before silently leaving the room back towards the sitting room and his laptop. But first, a cup of tea would do nicely to keep him awake for the next few hours.

Sitting back down with a cup of tea in hand, Hikaru took his mouse and opened and browser window. He sighed and quickly typed in NetGo's address. Just as quickly, he logged into his long untouched and unused account, one that he'd made for himself while Sai was still around: "FujiWara".

He sat back, taking a sip of the hot tea, clicking on a random game in-progress and watched. It had been quite a while since he'd been on NetGo. He would slowly ease back into the game he loved so much in his early teen years, but for now he would only watch and relearn everything he'd made himself forget. Slowly he'd rebuild his Go.

He knew Akari still kept up with the Go world from time to time with her work as an editor for one of the Go magazines, and another for business. There were Go magazines strewn all over their apartment home, hiding in every which nook and cranny. Shaking his head out of his thoughts, he turned his attention back to the game, taking in the shape of the stone and each hand that was being set down. He shook his head disappointedly, the way the game was going was too sloppy, there were too many opening for attack and places left with little defense. The game was a complete mess in itself. Hikaru let out a sigh, opting to look for another game to watch. Hopefully one that was better than the last.

It was another hour and a bit before he finally gave up in finding a perfectly decent game to watch, or maybe one that was interesting in its moves. He was getting exasperated, what happened to all those good players he encountered when he was still a teen? Closing his tired eyes, he rubbed the dry and sore feeling out before opening them again. He stared at the screen with a wisp of disappointment lining his face, watching the current players was no good. Making a spilt second decision, he moved his mouse over a name on the list and sent a request for a game of speed Go. He was going to play a game, it was to test himself.

How would his go fare now, after years of dormancy? He waited for a reply, unconsciously holding his breath, a slight feeling of nervousness creeping up on him as the seconds ticked by seemingly slower than usual.

'Challenge Accepted' flashed across his screen and he let out his breath, hand shakily holding on to the mouse. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, eyes now focused on the screen, his grip on the mouse tightened as he moved it over a star point and clicked, setting down the first move. It was his first big step back into the Go world.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment