Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - The council's offer

Still in Hong Kong, the dragon council wishes to knight Rose for her efforts against the Dark Dragon. However, she has to pass a few trials before she can accept the honor, otherwise, her memory of the magical world will be permenently erased.

Chapter 2 - The council's offer

Chapter 2 - The council's offer
Jake, in his dragon form, was flying over the city with Rose, in her new slayer-outfit (the on from “Hong Kong Longs”), riding on his back. Jake was in a noticeable nervous sweat, not to mention he was breathing nervously as well.
“Calm down, Jake. why are you getting so clammy?” Rose asked.
“Well, if you must know,” Jake started, turning his head to face her, “My track-record regarding my visits to the Dragon Council hasn’t been one were I get a plaque are a medal.” Rose raised on of her eyebrows in curiosity. “What do you mean?”
“Well,” Jake inhaled through his teeth before he explained, “during my first visit with the council, I practically got my head bitten off about a few foul-ups I made during my rookie-days as a dragon, and I had to preform a series of tests to make sure that I could keep grandpa as my dragon trainer. After my second meet with the council, I had my powers taken away because I threw a Halloween party with both magical creatures and humans; AS IF THE HUMANS COULD TELL THAT THE CREATURES WERE REAL!? And then there was the time when.... okay, so I sent them the exploding cake on purpose, but still...”
“Come on, Jake,” Rose interrupted, “I’m just as nervous as you are, but you don’t see me hyperventilating and breaking out in sweat.”. Jake took a deep breath, taking her unsaid hint to calm the heck down. They had just reached the front entrance of the convention center, where Rose got off and Jake reverted into his human form in a flash of blue flame-like light. “You’re right, I should probably calm down and..” Jake stopped mid-phrase when he saw his grandfather, Lao Shi, his younger sister Haley, and his middle-school home-ec teacher/Haley’s dragon teacher Sun Park, AKA the Korean Dragon, carrying Jake’s parents, Jonathan and Susan Long, Jake’s friends Trixie Carter and Arthur P “Spud” Spudinski, and the 600-year-old talking cher-pei/ animal guardian, Fu Dog; all of them land in front of Jake and Rose.

“Let me guess? you got summoned here, too?” Rose asked. “Indeed we have,” Lao Shi said as we reverted to his human form. Jonathan just stood there staring as Haley and Sun morphed back as well. “I still can’t get used to the fact that my own kids can sprout wings and fly like that,” He whispered to Susan. She shrugged and relpied with, “Eh, you’ll get uesd to it.”

“Soooo... what did you do to make the dragon council summon all of us here and have the word ‘immediately’ written in a large font-size?” Haley asked as she walked over and held up a copy of the scroll. “Did you break some kind of ‘maximum limit’ regarding how many human people know your identity? Or did it have something to do with ---”
“Haley...” Sun and Susan both started using serious tones. Haley just looked up to get the message to stop talking. “Look, I may not know much about dragon-business just yet,” Jonathan chimed in as he walked toward the entrance to the convention center, “but I’m sure that everything will be a-okay once we....” Jonathan stopped as he struggled to open the closed door to the building. After three tries with grunting, he stopped and panted “It’s locked.” Lao Shi began a frustrated grumbling in Chinese before he shouted out, “OF COURSE IT’S LOCKED! Do you know nothing about magic?!”
“Hello? I just found out about it yesterday!” Jonathan exclaimed back. Feeling a bit sheepish, Lao Shi chuckled, “Oh, my apologies,”

With that, Sun and Lao Shi stood on either sides of the door and each held their right arms forward and each began the same, complex incantation. As the incantation continued, their hands began to glow, and the doors to the convention center slowly morphed into a colorful, swirling vortex. When Sun and Lao Shi finished the incantation, the vortex became a portal with a translucent membrane over it, and on the other side was the councilors’ hall of Isle Draco. Everyone else gave a unified “Whao...” in awe of what they had just seen. Lao Shi and Sun walked through the portal, the membrane shimmered and vibrated as their bodies passed through. Fu Dog made his way over as well, but before he entered, he turned to look back ad Jake and Rose and asked, “You coming?” before entering the portal himself. Jake and Rose looked at each other with a sense of nervousness as Haley walked through the portal. As a means to help quell one another’s unease, they firmly took one another’s hands and walked through the portal at a partially rushed pace. After Jake and Rose made their way through the portal, Trixie and Spud tried to follow, but instead of entering, they hit the portal’s membrane as if they hit a brick wall, “OW!!!” They both exclaimed in unison. “What the–?!” Trixie started.
“Dang!” Spud interrupted, “How could something so gelatinous be so painful?” He asked out loud as he ran his index finger across the surface of the portal’s membrane. “Sorry kids,” Fu stated as he turned around to face them from the other side of the portal, “but that magic-membrane around the portal ain’t just for show, it’s actually a safety measure to keep humans out. The only way a human can get in is if they are personally invited by the members of the dragon council themselves.”
“But......”
“Sorry, you’ll just have to wait until this little chew-out is over before we can give you the 411.” Fu finished as the portal closed itself as he walked off.

– Hall of the Dragon Council

Jake and Rose walked across the hallway that lead to the council chamber, both of them nervous, with Sun, Lao Shi, Haley, and Fu Dog behind them. Both of their throats felt swollen from the tension. When they reached the chamber, Councilor Klude, Councilor Andam, and Councilor Omina were already seated at the councilors’ table. When Jake and Rose walked to the appropriate distance, while the others stood behind them a distance, Dragon councilor Klude was the first to speak. “Ahh, the American Dragon, actally on time for once.”
“I’ll bet that you’re wondering why you are here, as well as why we invited the girl?” Andam continued. Jake and Rose both gulped before answering. “Uhh, kinda,” Jake answered, “am I in trouble for something...again?” he inquired in a nervous tone. “Surprisingly, you’re not.” Omina answered. “They’re NOT?!” Haley, Fu, and Lao Shi asked simultaneously. “Well, now that is what I call a change of pace.” Sun said out loud.

“In fact, we wish to thank you, the both of you,” Klude continued, “If it hadn’t been for Jake’s, err, rebellious whit, all of the world’s dragons would have been turned into the Dark Dragon’s puppets. And if it wasn’t for the Dragon-slayer here...”
“Ex-Dragon-slayer..” Rose intentionally coughed.
“Right,” Klude went on, “the Dark Dragon would’ve destroyed us all.”
Rose was flattered by her being acknowledged. “Well, to be honest, I never would’ve even shown up if Jake hadn’t tried to convince me of my ...ummm.... altered ‘histroy’.” She began scratching the back of her head in awkwardness. The room was silent for a brief moment before it was broken by Counilor Omina. “Yes well, we used a dream-drifter spell last knight to see what you all knew about her, and we learned quite a bit.” Rose put a nervous look on her face as Jake began to fidget. “But considering that her past as a member of the Huntsclan never technically existed, we won’t hold it against you.” Andam finished. Rose and Jake both sighed in relief. “So, was that all that this meeting was about?” Haley asked, raising her hand.

“Actually,” Klude began as he rose from his seat, “We invited Rose here to offer her the chance to become an official ally in the dragon order. A knight, if you will..”
“Knight?” Rose and Jake inquired. At that, Fu Dog exclaimed, “THE DRAGON COUNCIL IS OFFERING A KNIGHTING TRIAL?!!? Man, if I was drinking something right now, I would’ve sprayed it everywhere in astonishment!”
“Soo, with all due respect, what’s a dragon-order knighting trial and why is it so important?” Jake asked, feeling awkward in front of the council. Klude pulled out a scroll from under his desk and opened it; a magic holographic image appeared from the parchment, and images formed accordingly with his words. “In the magical underworld, dragons are the only ones who are authorized to handle any disturbances and emergencies. In order to keep other magical creatures from getting in over their heads and attempting to do a dragon’s work, we have bylaws against vigilante actions, meaning that if anyone wishes to partake in Peacekeeping within the magical world, they must have the authorized blessings from the dragon council.” Councilor Klude closed the Scroll before finishing with, “You’d have known that if you had spent time studying the bylaws instead of sending us an exploding cake.” He pointed upward to show some of the cake debris still stuck to the walls and ceiling. “I was wondering what that smell was.” Rose murmured to Jake. “The reason that Jake Long’s human friends haven’t been required the trial is because they usually are there to assist him,”Omina added, “and since Rose has no association with any local dragons....you get the picture, right?”
Rose hung her head and replied, “I understand, so unless I personally befriend the local dragon, or pass this knighting thing?”
“We recommend the knighting trial.” Andam recommended. “So what is the trail anyway?” Rose inquired, scratching her head in curiosity. All three councilors answered in an alternating sequence; Klude, Andam, then Omina.
“The trial is a test that takes place in an inter-dimensional road---”
“....wrought with obstacles that will test you on---”
“...Skill, cunning, and honor,”
“Should you pass---”
“....You shall be considered a valuable ally to the magical world---”
“Should you fail...”
All three councilors finished this one in unison, “Your entire memory of the magical world shall be permanently erased.”

Jake, Rose, Lao Shi, Sun, Fu, and Haley shared the same expression of shock; Rose went especially pale. She couldn’t believe that she had to risk losing her recently reclaimed memories of her fighter-side, her inner warrior, and her boyfriend.

---- Back at the entrance to the convention center,

Susan, Johnathan, Trixie, and Spud were sitting on a nearby bench, passing the time with small talk. “So...exactly how does Jake know this girl?” Jonathan was in the middle of asking when the portal reappeared. The sudden appearance of the portal startled Jonathan out of the seat, exclaiming accordingly. Jake, Rose, and the rest of the invitees walked out of the portal, Rose holding a pamphlet. “So, how did it go?” Spud asked. Rose and Jake both bit their bottom lips in response.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment