Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - the trial begins

Still in Hong Kong, the dragon council wishes to knight Rose for her efforts against the Dark Dragon. However, she has to pass a few trials before she can accept the honor, otherwise, her memory of the magical world will be permenently erased.

Chapter 6 - the trial begins

Chapter 6 - the trial begins
-Hong Kong Harbor

The three dragon councilors, along with Jake’s parents, Haley, and Fu Dog, were waiting at a dock in the Hong Kong harbor for the others. Jonathan took a look at his watch to see that it was 11:51.
“So, uhh, what happens if they’re late?” He asked. Suddenly, Jake flew down from the sky with Rose on his back, following him were sun and Lao Shi, who were carrying Spud and Trixie respectively. The sight of all of that happening made Jonathan jump. “Whoa! Sorry, still getting used to that.” He said. Rose got off of Jake’s back as he reverted to his human form. Councilor Klude walked up to Jake and Rose and began to speak, “Well, you seem to have a bit of an early-streak recently, you have nine minutes before the trial begins,” He turned to Rose and continued speaking, “You still have time to change your mind,” Rose stood silent for a moment, then responded.
“My mind was made up when I decided to go through with this,”
“Keep in mind that most of the other humans who went through this very obstacle course didn’t come back with their lives.” Andam added.
“Most humans don’t have fourteen years worth of Huntsclan knowledge and skill.” Rose replied. She obviously didn’t want to back down, and the council knew that. The councilors looked at each other and silently agreed to proceed. “Very well,” Omina started, “but in order to proceed, you must have an animal guardian with you as you take the trial.” Jake and Rose shared the same expression that screamed “oh, come on!”, then Rose decided to ask, “and what if I don’t exactly have one?”
“Then you may temporarily acquire one from an ally.” Councilor Klude answered. With that, Jake, Rose, Trixie, Spud, and Lao Shi looked at Fu Dog with matching expressions that said “hmmmmmm”. Fu Dog took one quick look around and got the hint. He gave out a nervous chuckle, and then asked, “Do I...er...have a say in the matter?” Lao Shi raised his eyebrow as a way to say no. Fu got the hint and responded with a frustrated sigh, followed by him muttering under his breath, “Why did I have to be born an obedient species?” and the walking to Rose’s side. With the acquired animal guardian, weapons in the satchel, and the consent of the council, Rose was ready to begin the trial.

The three Councilors turned to face the summit of Victoria Peak, then Councilor Klude explained the trial. “Your task is to reach the spot where the Dragon Temple appeared before Sunset,” He pulled a small, golden hourglass with glowing sand from his sleeve as he continued, “This magic hourglass will tell you how much time you have left,” He handed it to Rose , who then put it in her pocket. While Rose had a look of quiet confidence, “This shouldn’t be to hard” She said, only to eat her words when the council each held both of their hands out and began to chant something under their breaths. When the council finished the incantation, a portal opened to another dimension. “As opposed to your more conventional routes, you shall first cross the serpent’s lake, pass through the ferocity forest, survive hostility city, and clear through riddle-mountain base.” Klude continued.“Apparently those places were named a long time ago,” Jonathan whispered to Susan.
Even though the names of the places sounded dangerous-if not cliché- Rose wasn’t intimidated. Fu, on the other hand, was completely horrified. “Is it too late to back out?” he asked with obvious fear in his voice. His answer came with a group “Yes”.
“Thought So,” Fu Dog finished. The Clock read 11:59, leaving Rose with one more minute to mentally prepare for who-knows-what. She turned to Jake, who gave a reassuring grin and nod; that was all she needed.

12:00 struck, “The Trial begins now!” Klude bellowed. That was Rose’s cue to start. Both She and Fu Dog leaped into the portal, thus triggering the Hourglass to start running. Despite Jake’s reassurance, he was also nervous about the outcome of the trial. He looked towards the sun’s general direction and quietly said, “We have only until sunset to determine Rose’s fate.”

Just as the councilors were about to close the portal, they were struck in the back by throwing darts, and fell to the ground. Everyone gasped in shock at the sight. Just then, a small device fell in front of Jonathan’s feet. He looked down to see what landed, but then it burst, covering the area in smoke. Everyone sputtered and coughed from the smokescreen that was created, not to mention that their eyes hurt from it. Jake managed to open his eyes and use his dragon sight just enough to catch at least a glimpse of the attackers. He managed to catch three silhouettes, all three of them wearing individually-styled hats, all three of them skinny, one with six limbs, one who’s limbs and neck seemed boneless, and one carrying a large weapon-like object about the size of it’s body.
“Hrruy! Beefor eht cciloorsu cemo to! or jstu in aces eht adgnor-knpu accehst su!” was the bizarre language that Jake heard from the creature carrying the large weapon. Then in response, the boneless looking one yelled “MASSACRE!” and the six-limbed one yelled “Vandalize” with a digital voice. The three made their way to the portal through the smoke, but Jake tried to stop them. He ran towards the one with the weapon and grabbed his sleeve, but then it just kicked him off with it’s remarkably large, black, three-toed foot. Jake accidentally managed to rip off a part of the creature’s sleeved when he was kicked off, landing with his back flat on the ground. The three assailants made it into the portal, the one with the weapon entering last, looking back before he entered, saying, “Oruy defgiilnrr ahlls cemo abck a ceoprs, ceorstuy fo eht ehissw fo eht aelmt-ademr eno ew acll aemrst.”
Jake had no Idea what that meant, but he knew that it couldn’t be good. The weapon-holding creature entered the portal, and then closed it with a bolt of energy from his staff.
Jake got back up, transformed into his dragon form, then used his wings to blow away the smoke. When the smoke cleared, everyone began to stop coughing.
“Should’a tried that earlier,” Lao Shi said as he waved some smoke out of his face. Sun ran over to the out-cold councilors to see if they were okay, which they were. She pulled out the needle-darts from each of their backs. They each groaned as they came too.
“Ugh, what happened?” Klude asked as he got up.
“We were ambushed,” Jake answered as he made his way over, “I saw three of them. One with four arms, one with a boneless-looking body, and one that spat some weird gibberish,” Jake held up the piece of fabric he ripped from the creature’s sleeve, “not to mention it wore burlap.” The three councilors looked to see that the portal was already sealed off. “What should we do?”
“What can we do?” Omina responded as she got up, “Once the portal is closed, anyone else entering will automatically fail one participating the trial,” The very sound of that made Jake boil on the inside, “All we can do now is wait,” She continued as she pulled a small mirror from her sleeve, “and watch,”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment