Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Interference

Still in Hong Kong, the dragon council wishes to knight Rose for her efforts against the Dark Dragon. However, she has to pass a few trials before she can accept the honor, otherwise, her memory of the magical world will be permenently erased.

Chapter 8 - Interference

Chapter 8 - Interference
-the Trial dimension

Rose and Fu dog were riding the back of the serpent to get to the other end of the lake, although they were beginning to regret it since he kept yammering on about his past experiences with other knight candidates.
“... and usually they’d just pummel me until I could ignore the pain in my mouth, other times they’d chicken out and run, and....”
Rose and Fu stopped paying attention to him a while back. Fu Dog was just plain bored out of his mind; Rose, however, despite her boredom was still aware enough to sense if there was going to be any danger coming, which there would be.
“Is it just me, or is it quiet out here?” She asked, and awkward pause followed.
“Excuse me,” The serpent started, “but I believe I was talking,”
“And talking, and talking, and talking, and talking.....” Fu mumbled.
“What I mean is the type of silence you sense when you’re being watched or followed.” Rose finished. Fu and the serpent then shared the same look of caution as they glanced left and right.
“Do you think that they’re onto us?” Reporter bell asked her cameraman, who just shrugged in response.

When Rose reached for her weapon satchel for good measure, she was snagged at the feet by a set of tentacles and yanked under the water. She could only give out a small yelp before she was completely under. The tentacles, which belonged to a squid-like leviathan pulled her all the way to the bottom of the lake, and held her to the ground by her legs. Rose, holding what little breath she was able to get, struggled to relieve herself of the creature’s grip. She looked up to see that the leviathan was beginning to reduce in size and alter in shape. As it turns out, the leviathan was in fact the infamous Kelpie.
“Well, well, well, look what we have here...” He said with his a smirk on his face. Rose wondered what he meant by “we”, then looked to see that there was a small group of sharkmen, their ring leader sporting an eye-patch, and a two-pronged hook-hand.
“Ah, the American Dragon’s la noviacita,” He said before he snapped his fingers; accordingly, two of the half-dozen sharkmen grabbed Rose’s arms and held them behind her back. “Allow me to introduce myself, me llamo Tiburon, and I believe that you have already met my associate, the Kelpie.” The Kelpie hissed out an evil chuckle.

Well above the surface, Fu paced the serpent’s back frantically as the Serpent had his head under looking for Rose. Meanwhile, the reporter fairies were giving the scoop.

-“Hole in the wall”

“The knight-trial candidate, after conquering the serpent, has just been pulled into the water by an unknown creature. Is this part of the trial? Or is it interference?” Reporter Bell announced on the TV. Every other creature in the restaurant was in a flurry of vocal commotion. Councilor Omina, thinking quickly, used her mirror to get a visual of Rose in the lake. When she finally got a visual of Rose being held prisoner, Jake and Lao Shi gasped in shock.
“Kelpie and Tiburon?!” Jake exclaimed, “How’d they get there?”
“The trial would automatically be cancelled-out if anyone entered AFTER the portal closed” Klude stated.
“So they must’ve gotten in before Rose somehow.” Andam added.
“But who aside from us even knows how to so much as open the portal?” Omina inquired. Jake paused for a second before answering with a question, “Does anyone know what happened to Chang during the battle at the millennium temple?”

- Back in the trial dimension

Rose, her face almost ready to change color, struggled to get out of the respective grasps of the sharkmen and the Kelpie. “What’s the matter, child?” Kelpie insincerely asked, “Running out of air?” Tiburon chuckled as he stepped forward and raised his hook hand.
“No te preocupes, chica, I shall put an end to jour suffocation, BY GUTTING OUT YOUR LUNGS!!” Tiburon exclaimed as he raised his hook-hand above his head, ready to slice Rose open like a mackerel.
“WAIT!” The Kelpie shouted, causing Tiburon to pause. “I say that we let her drown, the slow and mentally painful way.”
“Boring!” one of the big mouthed sharkmen said.
“Hah! yeah, boring.” said the hammerheaded one. The Kelpie was clearly did not agree with Tiburon, so he got up and stormed up to Tiburon to get face-to-face with him.
“Listen here, Jaws, I do not remember anyone putting you in charge!” Kelpie exclaimed, “And I don’t see why you of all beings should be in charge. I mean after all, I am the one who gains more and more power with each feeding!” The argument was interrupted by the sound of kicking and yelps of pain. They turned to see that Rose, still holding her breath, was standing on top of a pile of out-cold sharkmen who each had boot-shaped impression on their snouts.
“Jou’re also the one foolish enough to let the little ninja-girl’s legs go.” Tiburon said with a cocky smirk. The Kelpie just growled and said, “She can’t hold her breath much longer anyway, lets just get her!”
Kelpie and Tiburon charged at Rose, teeth bared, swimming at full speed. Rose quickly pulled her staff out of her satchel and fired it at the ground, thus giving her an upward thrust off of the ground and creating a smog of kicked-up sand at the same time. The two sea-villains incidentally hit their heads on one another as they tried to nab her. Rose swam upward as fast as she could, but it wasn’t fast enough.

-“Hole in the wall”

Everyone watching from Omina’s magic mirror was beginning to perspire in tension. Jake was gripping his teeth on the collar of his jacket.

- Trial dimension, under the lake’s surface


Tiburon caught up with Rose and tried to take a swing at her with his hook-hand; she blocked it with her hunts-staff, kicked him in the chin, then sliced off the hook-part of his hand. Kelpie swam up and tried to bite her, but she swatted his bite in another direction, and then forced it on Tiburon’s arm. Tiburon screamed as the Kelpie’s icy bite slowly drained his essence. While that was going on, a small plastic ball slowly drifted down with “Magic air-capsule, from fu” written on it. When Rose grabbed the air capsule, the Kelpie yanked Tiburon from his bite, letting his out-cold body drift to the bottom. As the Kelpie approached Rose, slowly taking the form of a shark-man, Rose poked a whole in the air-capsule and sucked in the amount of air that she needed, then through the capsule, containing what was left of the air, into the Kelpie’s throat. The Kelpie choked on the air that was being forced into it’s gills, leaving Rose to escape.

-Surface

Fu was focusing on the surface of the water, just waiting for Rose to come back up. When he was beginning to doubt his efforts, Rose burst out from then water, taking in a huge gasp of air.

- “Hole in the wall”

Everyone cheered when Rose got back out, although the cheers of Jake, Trixie, Spud, and
the others were somewhat more subtle.

-Trial dimension

“Rose! You’re alive!” Fu exclaimed, but Rose was too busy recovering from her near-drowning. She made her way to the edge of the serpent’s body, and after climbing back on, she caught her breath. “What happened down there?” Fu asked. The response came in the form of the air-capsule container flying in and landing in front of Fu. He looked up to see that the Kelpie had also surface, taking heavy breaths recovering from his aquatic choke. “The Kelpie!?” Fu exclaimed.

- “Hole in the wall”

“Okay, I have a question,” Jonathan started while watching the broadcast, “If that Kelpie-thing can survive in and out of water, then why did it choke on the air-capsule?”
“It can only survive breathing air when it isn’t currently using it’s gills.” Omina answered. After a short silence, Jonathan responded with a simple, “Oh”

-Trial dimension

Kelpie began to approach Rose and Fu, snarling with a foaming mouth. When he got close enough, he leapt out of the water, ready to dive-bomb them. Just when he was about to get them, the serpent caught him in his mouth, turned to his head to face away from Fu and Rose, then spat the Kelpie long distance like a high-school variety spit-ball. The Kelpie screamed accordingly as he flew out of sight. The Serpent chuckled as he continued to swim to shore.


-the Shore

“Thanks for the help!” Rose said loudly as she waved good-bye to the departing serpent. Fu shook off the water that he was covered in. “Well, looks like you caught your breath,” He said. Rose took another look at the hourglass.
“And hopefully with enough time to spare,” Rose responded as she put the hourglass away. “So waht was up with that...Kelpie? And how did you know him?” Rose inquired as the continued to walk on.
“The Kelpie was an enemy Jake fought once,” Fu responded.
“Oh,” Rose answered, “and what about that shark-thing? Tiburon?”
“Tiburon was there, too!?” Fu reacted, “Okay, something is definitely fishy here!” Rose gave Fu an odd look in response, “No pun intended.” Fu added

- “Hole in the wall”

Jonathan was withholding a snicker. “Is there something that you find amusing, sir?” Councilor Klude asked.
“Sorry,” Jonathan answered, “It’s just that no one ever told me that Fu was so funny.”
Everyone who knew Fu Dog raised an eyebrow in astonishment. “Somehow I’m not surprised,” Sun whispered to Susan.

- Trial Dimension, Ferocity forest

Rose and Fu Dog were making their way through ferocity forest. She used her staff to cut through the vines that here in her way. Fu trailed close behind her, not to brave in the environment of creepy noises and peering eyes from the shadows. Rose, however, maintained a face of fearlessness. As the noises of multiple beasts and creatures began to accumulate around Rose, meaning that they were surrounding for a group attack. Rose stopped walking when she predicted what was in store.
Before Fu could even finish his gulp, the creatures that surrounded them, which turned out to be a Manticore pack, began to pounce all at once. The eavesdropping fairy reporters both cringed at the violence and melee they were witnessing.

-Hole in the wall

Everyone was flinching and cringing at the sight of the onslaught. Jake, Spud, and Trixie were doing the three wise monkeys (Jake covered his eyes, Spud covered his ears, and Trixie her mouth); Sun and Susan had to cover Haley’s eyes. When the sound of fighting stopped, there was a moment of shocked silence.

- Trial dimension

Fu Dog was gawking mouth agape. He was really surprised that Rose was able to beat down that entire manticore pack, and the only damage done onto her was just a small nick in her hair. She took a deep breath and wiped some sweat off of her forehead. “Piece of cake,”Rose nonchalantly declared.
“Oh, but that was just the appetizer,” Came a female voice from the behind the bushes. Rose and Fu Dog quickly turned to face the mysterious speaker as she stepped out. It turned out to be a teenage girl with an hourglass body, long purple/black stripped hair, with a skirt patterned the same way, knee-high boots, thick-rimmed glassed with magenta lenses, gloves, a zip-up shirt that didn’t cover the midriff, and around her neck was a Blue, sea-shell necklace. There was a moment of curious silence. “Do I...er... know you?” Fu asked, “I mean, your scent if familiar, er, but...er” The Girl wasn’t taking the lack of recognition too well.
“VICKY FICKLY! It’s me Vicky! You know, the Siren?!” She exclaimed.

-Hole in the wall

Jake, Spud, and Trixie, who had taken a sip of their drinks, sprayed them out in astonishment. “VICKY?!” All three of them exclaimed at once.
“You... know this girl?” Jonathan asked.
“Some sci-fi siren nerd-girl who didn’t take it to well after a bachelor-auction incident.... long story,” Jake responded.
“Thing is, I don’t remember her being so....hot.” Spud added, hesitantly. Trixie just gave him a raised eyebrow.

-Trial Dimension

Rose stood at ease while Fu looked like he was ready to pounce. “What do you even want with me?” Rose inquired.
“Does ‘out of the way’ qualify as an answer?” Vicky answered. Rose didn’t get it. “I hear-talk that you have the American dragon’s heart,”
“I’m not one to brag, but...guilty as charged,” Rose retorted as she pointed the blade-end of her battle-staff to Vicky, who got the hint of the challenge. Vicky quickly pulled out a sci-fi-style battle-staff and began to twirl it around in her hands in a show-offy fashion. “I must warn you, little-miss-thang, I’ve studied every fighting-style of the galacta-trek series, as well as that of every other convention-variety sci-fi martial arts, so I don’t think that I’ll even need my song to conquer you!” Vicky bragged. Rose just put her staff back into her satchel, showing that this wasn’t going to be a challenge. Vicky let out a shrill sci-fi warrior, and then charged at Rose full force. Rose just crossed her arms and raised her eyebrow at Vicky. Then, just when Vicky was close enough, winding up for a swing of her staff, Rose put her left hand behind her back, and used her right index finger to swat her glasses upward. “HEY! What the..!”
“It’s not in me to his a girl with glasses.” Rose said wittily. She then used that same index finger to quickly jab a sensitive nerve area within Vicky’s shoulders, thus knocking her out and causing her to fall backwards; as Vicky’s glasses fell back down from the air, Rose used her right index finger to flick them back onto Vicky’s face, evenly aligned with her eyes, ears, and nose.
“Okay, wow, just.....wow.” Fu stated quietly.

-Hole in the wall

Jake let out a low-pitched whistle of astonishment. Jonathan and Susan starred mouths agape, as did Haley. “Well, I hope that Jake knows what he’ll be in for if he forget’s their anniversary,” she said.

-the Trial dimension

Rose and Fu made it out of the forest and hopped across a small trail of large, levitating land-masses. Rose took another look at her hourglass to see that Time was dwindling. “We don’t have much time left,” Rose stated, “Where’s the next stop?”
“Yonder,” Fu pointed. Hostility City was on a terra-firma on the other side of a large trial of smaller landmasses. Rose was not pleased at that; between the time they had left and the distance that they still had to travel.
“Oh, great,” Rose moaned, “what’s next?” Her answer came when a bolt of energy came down from over them and hit the ground in front of them, knocking them backwards by the explosive force, incidentally landing on their backs; A sinister cackle soon followed.
“Surprised to see me?!” came a female voice. Rose and Fu looked up to see a dark-magenta-like dragon carrying a staff, and sporting a monkey in a track suit on her shoulder.
“Chang...” Fu said in a quiet, dramatic fashion.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment