Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Apprentice

Blackkit/paw has a long history... A long painful history, and when trouble comes to the forest, it must be revealed.

"A danger will come to the forest...And it will be stopped only by your blood."

Chapter 2 - Apprentice

Chapter 2 - Apprentice






No, Ill do it all by myself! And Ill be the most helpful cat in ThunderClan! And when the other clans see me in battle, theyll be shaking in their fur! mewled Blackkit dreamily.





Youre sure you want to stay? Youre welcome to go when youre ready, to somewhere new to have a different life. He meowed, changing the subject, and interrupting Blackkits dreams.





Yeah! she told Fightingstar positively.





Then youre apprentice ceremony will be tonight! he yowled triumphantly, looking relieved. He flicked his tail, telling her she was dismissed, and she bounded away to the nursery.





Mousepelt! Mousepelt! her voice squeaked with excitement, even though she was old enough for it not to.





And a very good morning to you. She meowed, shaking sleep out of her head. I think youve just woken up the entire clan. And as if in response, a head raised, and she recognized her friend, Rainkit. Gmorning, Blackkit! How are you?





Ive got big news, everybody! she announced loudly, feeling proud with new authority. Tonight Im going to be made an apprentice! Meows of approval echoed the small nursery. Really? came an astonished mewl from Rainkit. She nodded, raising her chin. I wish I was you! squeaked a kit. She felt teeth dragging her down, and she saw Mousepelt struggling, trying to pin her. Come on, then. Lets get to work on your fur. It looks as if a twoleg monster ran through it backwards! and to Blackkits protest, Mousepelts warm tongue rasped rhythmically.





I cant believe it, Blackkit! said Rainkit, sprinting over. Youre gonna be an apprentice!





I know! And then Im gonna be a warrior.





But first you gotta be an apprentice.





Yeah&But being a warrior will be the greatest& murmured Blackkit.





You know, her friend began, with a bit of sourness in her tone, Its great that your gonna be an apprentice and all, but&I want to be an apprentice, too! I mean, we could train together, and battle using our super-cool moves, and stuff like that. We could even sleep right next to each other! Sorrow panged in Blackkit as she realized that this was true. Youre right, Rainkit&





Well youll both have your turn. Besides, its not like you wont both be an apprentice at the same time! Meowed Mousepelt, taking a break from her adopted daughters dirty, mangled fur.





Youre right. Anyway, Ill be yowling your name from the nursery when youre given your apprentice name! Mewed Rainkit. Rainkit is a true friend. Thought Blackkit happily, grateful that she had a friend. She sighed, letting Mousepelt clean her fur again.











* * *











May all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather under the highrock for a clan meeting! Fightingstars yowl sounded loud and clear, echoing through the camp, and ringing through Blackkits ears. This was it! She was about to become an apprentice. Who would her mentor be? Questions streamed her mind as she sat down directly below Fightingstar. Mousepelt sat beside her, giving her head one last lick. When the cats gathered, Fightingstar looked up at Silverpelt, and yowled, I say these words before StarClan! This kit has reached the age of six moons. Or by the looks of it. Thought Blackkit. Even though her painful history. He continued confidently. With that, cats started mumbling, only to be silenced by elders glares. He turned to Blackkit. You shall train to become a warrior, and learn the code. And so, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Blackpaw. And your mentor, he continued, shall be, Moonshadow. And with that a silver and black tabby with yellow eyes strode up, looking down at Blackpaw with a sure sense of authority. Blackpaw reached up to touch noses, and he seemed to be wondering if he should accept the apprentice. The Clan seemed to noticed and waited in total silence. Blackpaws nose reached up farther in a rough uneasy gesture, and she began to wobble. Suddenly she collapsed on the ground. She scrambled up, her face burning with annoyance, desperation and embarrassment. Thats when Moonshadow, looking pleased and full of amusement finally leaned forward to touch noses, and Blackpaw met his.





Blackpaw! Blackpaw! A single voice rang out from the nursery. It was Rainkit. Soon the voice was accompanied by the rest of the clan, yowling her new name. She lifted her chin up high proudly, and stood next to her mentor. Soon the Clan broke into groups to chat, leaving her and her mentor side by side. Moonshadow turned to her. Training is starting tomorrow at dawn. You better be there early. Go to the training hollow. He growled then headed off toward the warrior den.





Blackpaw shivered. Shed been given the worst mentor in the world, and by Fightingstar. Why him? Was it some kind of test?















































































































































































































































CHAPTER 5













Blackpaw awoke staring at a leafy ceiling. Moonlight filtered through the entrance to the unfamiliar den. She got up and stretched before exiting. In the clearing, she looked around to find a dawn patrol up getting ready to go, but other than that nobody was up. Leopardheart trotted out of his den, and looked quizzically at Blackpaw before trotting her way. What are you doing up this early? You should be resting! Technically youre still a kit! he protested.





Training. Blurted out Blackpaw before she realized she would set a bad reputation for her mentor.





Training doesnt start until dawn. He retorted. So march right back into that den and rest.





Oh I was just too excited to sleep. She lied quickly, trying to sound excited. Besides, Im going early today to suprise Moonshadow! Leopardheart sighed, and then let her go. Blackpaw was going to get some fresh kill first, but now she didnt have time. She bounded out of the entrance. Have some food first! The medicine cat called after her, but she pretended not to hear.





Reaching the training hollow, she spotted Moonshadow pacing. He turned and saw her. Youre late. He growled. WHY were you late!?!?





Blackpaw flinched before protesting, I tried to get out of camp early but Leopardheart caught me and said I should be resting!





Oh? And what did you tell him?





I told him I wanted to get there early to suprise you.





And I suppose youll just tell him that every day?





No&





So what will you do? Moonshadow snarled.





Blackpaw was caught. Suddenly an idea popped into her head. Well I could go behind the nursery and around camp! she exclaimed.





Her mentor leaned back. Huh. Well lets begin with you seeing the territory. Follow me. And try to keep up! And with that he sprinted off with Blackpaw panting on his heels.











* * *





Blackpaw dragged herself back to camp that day tired, hungry, and panting. She went straight to the fresh-kill pile with Moonshadows eyes burning into her pelt. She shyly picked out a thin little mouse. It wouldnt feed her, but shed still not hunted. There was a shady little spot in the corner of the camp where she took the scrawny mouse.





Thats not going to feed you. She turned to see Fightingstar behind her. You should get another piece of fresh-kill.





Oh Im not that hungry. She told him.





You need to grow.





Well I still havent hunted yet so I dont even deserve this. She motioned to the mouse.





Yes but you serve the Clan by being here. Youll make a fine warrior so eat up; youll make up for it later. Now go get that starling there and eat both of them. He told her proudly.





But-





That was an order.





Alright. And she bounded over, trying to be unnoticed, picked up the starling and sprinted back. Fightingstar motioned for her to eat, and she leaned down and took a bite of the mouse. His eyes were concerned as he turned away and went to the nursery. Moonshadow trotted up to her. Ill take that, thank you. He said scooping up the large starling. That was the reason shed not picked much. Hed punish her. Sighing, she finished the mouse in another bite then desperately licked the bones clean for any trace of meat. After burying them, she went to the prey storage hole, or the battle arena. She dropped in, and padded calmly down the corridor into the clearing. Blackpaw sat in the center, closing her eyes and sitting solemnly. Reviewing what had gone on. This would be a long while.











* * *











This would not be a good day. Blackpaw felt it. She woke a bit after moonhigh. It was about a moon since her first day of training. Well, almost. She looked at the fresh-kill pile longingly as she slipped out of camp from behind the nursery. She slowed to a trot as she entered the training hollow, where Moonshadow was laying on his side enjoying a couple plump sparrows and water voles. Take a lap. He growled lazily. Ill make sure you do.





She nodded and prepared to do her usual sprint around the territory. It was so big! As she raced as fast as she could away from the training hollow, she braced herself for the challenge. It took her a long time to go around the huge territory, and if she took too long then shed be punished. Soon enough, she was at Fourtrees, signaling the halfway point. She was gasping for breath. She ran along the edge of the river, and finally was looking at the gorge. Blackpaw was about to collapse when she heard a yowling, and twisted to see her own mentor chasing her. If I get you youll see the gorge close up! he threatened, and the apprentice just pushed harder and ended up running through ThunderClan camp. She went through and ran to the training hollow panting. A minute later Moonshadow appeared. Ok, time for training. Attack me,





Blackpaw had no choice but to obey. Her feet struck the sandy floor as she bounded toward her mentor, kicking up sand. She leaped, ready to pounce, when Moonshadow moved out of the way at the last second, leaving her crashing through the sand. She felt his claws rip her back and she moaned, trying to get up. Finally, Blackpaw managed to writhe free. Try again, genius.





Blackpaw backed up. It was dawn now, and the other apprenticed were showing up with their mentors. Thank StarClan. She breathed. He couldnt try to kill her if they were there.





Moonshadow? a deep voice cracked the concentration of everybodys training as Fightingstar beckoned to Blackpaws mentor. Youre on hunting patrol. You can take Blackpaw out later.





The two of them, mentor and apprentice followed their leader back to camp. As soon as they reached the ravine, Moonshadow joined a hunting party, and Blackpaw went to the fresh-kill pile, not seeing where Fightingstar went. Under her mentors horrid gaze, she picked a tiny vole that was skin and bones and dragged it to the corner. After licking the bones clean, she went to her usual spot in the old arena. The kits no longer used it since she left, and shed been forbidden by her mentor to visit Rainkit anymore. She sat solemnly in the middle, all alone&





Sneaky, are you?





Blackpaw looked up, terrified, only to relax seeing Fightingstar. Blackpaw, I want to know everything.





How&How did you find me?





Easy, I found the bones of your prey licked clean, followed your scent here. I dont remember this being here. But I want to know everything! He repeated. Why your so scrawny, where you go after moonhigh&WHY your scent is always going around ThunderClan border when your not on patrol&Everything.





Alright. Blackpaw looked at Fightingstar like he was her savior. Ill start with this place. I dug it when I was a kit.





You DUG it? He asked, obviously impressed.





She nodded. We kits used it as a battle arena. Then I was made an apprentice. Moonshadow&Hes horrible. He makes me get up in the middle of the night and he chases me around the border and he tries to kill me and he scratches me, and he doesnt let me eat or see my friends-





Thats enough. Ive heard enough. Its time to get a new mentor. He turned. Follow me.





Blackpaw could hardly hide her relief and excitement.











Comments

Comments (5)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

zoozoo400 on May 12, 2007, 2:37:34 PM

zoozoo400 on
zoozoo400more! wright MORE!!! *Pops*
 
wow, it's an awsome story!! *Favs 999999999999999 times*

Kaya_Sohma on July 11, 2006, 1:31:50 PM

Kaya_Sohma on
Kaya_SohmaAww, poor Blackpaw, -_-, this is great, i can't wait for the next chapter

Have you read my Warriors story? I don't think anyone has *sad* oh well, if ur bored it there...

Slash

Blackstormluvr on July 10, 2006, 9:18:16 AM

Blackstormluvr on
Blackstormluvrawww omg isn't that sooo sad? lol it was hard to write!