Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 0 - KJ; Kwame's Son

15 years has passed since Kwame was a Planeteer.  He's married with two teen kids, Marigold & KJ (Kwame Jr.).

Chapter 0 - KJ; Kwame's Son

Chapter 0 - KJ; Kwame's Son
After being a Planeteer, Kwame got married, got a job working in the forest (yes, he still plants trees) & lives outside the city.  They had two kids, Marigold (15) whose boy crazy & Kwame Jr. (13), though he likes to be called KJ.

KJ played football & like his dad, he played the drums. We find him playing in a junior high football game where he's a wide receiver for his team (#84).  KJ's running wild while the quarterback threw the ball to him, but he steps out of bounds & doesn't gain any yardage.

CHEERLEADER:  Clumsy oaf!
MARIGOLD:  Don't talk to my brother that way!

When he was sent to the showers, he finds a couple of boys hanging outside the locker room.

JOEY:  Nice catch butterfingers
SCOTT:  Concentrate on the game, not the girls.
KJ:  Cut it out!  Thought my dad would see me play.
SCOTT:  Guess he was AWOL being a tree hugger.
JOEY:  So KJ, you wanna improve on your game & get high?

KJ went away from them, but Joey grabbed his jersey & told him he had no choice.  Luckily, security spotted them as they fled.    KJ showered & changed into his clothes.

When they went home, Mom spotted both of them.

MOM:  So how's the game?
MARIGOLD:  Brother lost it with his slip up!

KJ:  Stop it!  I'm outta here.

KJ went to his bedroom, sat down on his drum set & played.

MARIGOLD:  That's my brother, always on those drums!  At least our neighbor, Mr. Hall doesn't complain.
MOM:  That's because he use to be a fan of your dad's boy band.

Just then, Kwame comes home from work.  He kisses his wife & relaxes in his easy chair.

KWAME:  It's so nice to find my house through the noise KJ makes.  What happened?
MARIGOLD:  He blew a wide pass.  Thought you were gonna be there.
KWAME:  Man, I had to work overtime.
MOM:  You know dear, you made noise like that when you were a teenager.  I think those friends of his are up to something.
KWAME:  I'll have to talk to him after dinner.

Hours after dinner, Kwame went into KJ's bedroom to have a talk.

KWAME:  KJ, how's your studies?
KJ:  Dad, I'm not failing everything.
KWAME: Well you spend so much time either playing football or those drums I got you. Sorry I couldn't attend your game.  I do have to provide for this family.
KJ:  You're always there for Marigold's dance recitals, you sexist?
KWAME:  You know why I got you the drums?
KJ  To say no to drugs.
KWAME:  And to stay away from Mr. Hall.  
KJ:  Mr. Hall isn't that bad.  He's not a drug dealer.  And the things he tells me about your music career.  Playing with Captain Planet, driving a ninja motorcycle, having a solo career, wearing your trapeze tights & Speedos.
KWAME:  I only did it to start my new responsible life, having a good job, raising a family.   You'll do that too.  In the meantime, you're grounded for disturbing the neighborhood, Mr. Hall or not.
KJ:  Man, I wish you could be much cooler than you are when you were a teenager!

Kwame took his sticks away & left the bedroom.  When he went to his own bedroom, he saw his wife ready for some sex.  But as they were about to do it, a knock on the door.

KWAME:  Get back to your room KJ?
MARIGOLD:  KJ doesn't wear a bra!

Kwame got out of bed to let Marigold in.

MOM:  What is it?
MARIGOLD:  Got a message from Joey's parents.  Joey & Scott got suspended from school for trying to get football players high.
KWAME:  Man, I bet KJ had peer pressure to take drugs.
MARIGOLD:  No wonder he's doing lousy on the field.
MOM:  Looks like he did say no.
KWAME:  And I grounded him by taking his drums away.  I'll deal with this on Saturday.

That Saturday, KJ woke up from bed, changed into some clothes & went to have breakfast.  Along the way, he saw a backpack in the living room & a note attached that read, "Go to the playground & take the backpack.  Love Dad."

KJ strapped the backpack on him & left the house over to the neighborhood playground.  When he arrived @ the playground, he saw a ninja motorcycle parked.  KJ looked @ the bike.

KJ:  Man, what I wouldn't do for a ride.

A stranger came up to him wearing trapeze tights & a motorcycle helmet. KJ is shocked that it was...

KJ:  Dad?

KWAME:  Yes KJ.  On this day, think of me as a cool dad, instead of the responsible dad you know.
KJ:  Where's Mom & Marigold?
KWAME:   Girls day out.  Have I got something planned for you.

Kwame goes to his bike & gets a helmet for KJ to wear.  KJ puts it on & hops on while Kwame got behind the wheel.  They zoomed off for a cool motorcycle ride.

They arrive @ Silver's Gym.  They entered & went into the locker room, where they changed into their swimwear.  KJ had some trunks while Kwame had his blue Speedos.

KJ:  Dad.
KWAME:  Get use to it.

Kwame & KJ did some lap swimming in the pool.  After a few laps, Kwame & KJ hit the weight room to pump some iron.  While KJ worked out with barbells, Kwame did some bodybuilder poses.

KJ:  What's the meaning of this? Taking me on a motorcycle ride to a gym seeing you look like He-Man  I want my responsible dad back!
KWAME:  KJ, I'm doing this for you.
KJ:  I'm not impressed.

Kwame sat down & told KJ the truth.

KWAME:  The reason I'm doing all this is because I'm proud of you for making right choices.  Staying away from drugs, being your own self.  Marigold told me that Scott & Joey got suspended from school, offering football players drugs.  I'm glad you said no.
KJ:  Cool.  Wish you could quit being black He-Man.  Why the muscles?
KWAME:  KJ, Sky Runner wanted me to get my body developed, provide a little competition for Wheeler.  Man, Wheeler got jealous when I buffed up & took some of his fans away. Speaking of Sky Runner, we got one more place to go before Cool Kwame becomes Responsible Kwame.

They changed back into their clothes & left the gym.  Kwame drove his son over to a building called Band Practice.  They entered the building, then Kwame had to sign in to get an access card.  KJ found out that it's a place for bands to have practice & record their own demos.

Kwame took KJ over to studio 20 & after unlocking the room with the card, they entered.  In that studio, there's a drum set, an electric guitar on the stand & a pair of tympanis

KJ:  Man, this is so cool!  Mr. Hall would have a field day!
KWAME:  Get on the drums.
KJ:  Thoght I was grounded?
KWAME:  Suspended.

KJ went over to the drums while Kwame strapped on his guitar & plugged into an amp.   Kwame had him  play a rock beat on the drums while he strummed chords & sang one of his songs in his solo career.  When they finished...

KWAME:  You rocked son!
KJ:  Man, you know how to rock the guitar! When did you first played the guitar?
KWAME:  I took lessons from Captain Planet, then self taught myself to play.  After the boy band broke up, Sky Runner let me have a solo career.  So I agreed, only if I also played guitar.  Not easy being a front man on the drums.
KJ:  How many songs did you play guitar on?
KWAME:  Three, plus a solo instrumental.


KJ watches his dad play a jazz guitar solo, that he messed on.  When he finished, he turned off the amp & unstrapped the guitar.  Kwame went over to the tympanis, grabbed some mallets & yelled...

KWAME:  EARTH!

Kwame played a thunderous drumroll while KJ watched him.  Afterwards, Kwame played tribal polyrhythm beats on the tympani while KJ played a drum solo.  They played until they ended with a drumroll that Kwame played & KJ on snare drum.


KJ:  That was awesome!  
KWAME:  Sure is.  Come & try out the tympanis.

KJ got off the drums & went to his dad, who handed him the mallets.  KJ played a rock beat & played a drumroll as well.

KJ:  Man, what a cool day!  Before you go back to being responsible dad, can we do the music soon?
KWAME:  Yeah.  And when you're 16, I may make a comeback in music.

KJ:  Cool!

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment