Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - The Plot

The Nintendo Universe is thrown into chaos. Sides will be chosen, worlds destroyed, and lives changed forever. Armageddon has arrived.

Chapter 2 - The Plot

Chapter 2 - The Plot
"You insufferable idiot!!"
Grey Fox was flung once again through the air and slammed right into the brick wall. He felt his bones begin to strain to the verge of breaking. He expected as much; you don't anger a mutant turtle without some form of consequence.
The mutant turtle in question, Bowser, was none too happy with the news, despite the fact their plans wouldn't be deterred.
"I told you to kill Mario! Not Peach!" he bellowed. His angry voice seemed to mix with his reptilian growls, making it hard for Grey Fox to fully understand him.
Struggling to his feet, Grey Fox pointed at Bowser and said, "Look, you needed a pure soul? You got your pure soul! Whose one it happened to be shouldn't matter!"
"It matters to me, blast you!!" Bowser roared, small embers popping from his mouth, "I wanted Mario out of the way! You only completed half of the job!"
"Well if somebody," Grey Fox retorted, making sure his words reaked with sarcasm, "had taken the time to more properly warn me about this fatso, then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess, would we?"
Bowser was beside himself; this was the first time he'd ever had to put up with insubordination of this manner.
"I oughta toast you right here, you-!"
"My Liege," a voice called from the shadows.
Bowser turned in time to see his other new 'friend'. From the shadows he emerged: a skeletal being wearing faded armor and holding a bizarre staff in his bony hand. His eyes glowed with an eerie malevolence that intimidated Bowser, if only by a tiny bit.
"What, Pious?"
"This...behavior is most unbecoming of you, my Liege. It is not a total loss; with this pure soul, I can complete the ritual, and you shall be granted your heart's true desire."
Bowser fell silent and looked down at his fist as he recalled the answer to this question: power.
"This essence you're creating for me...it will make me stronger? Without a shadow of a doubt?"
"But, of course, my Liege. More strength and power than you could possibly imagine," Pious told Bowser assuringly, "and with it, you shall rule the kingdoms of this world with an iron fist!"
Bowser raised his vision, and seemed to stare off into emptyness, "For years, the Koopa Clan has been nothing but the butt of every joke known. We've been bottom feeders, living off the scraps of the Mushroom Kingdom's wonderous fortune," Bowser punctuated this point by slamming his fist into the wall, creating a clear imprint, "But no more. After today, I will raise my kingdom to the highest level of respect and glory! The Koopa Clan will no longer be mockery, but a name to be feared by all generations!!"
"As it was meant to be, my King," Pious added, bowing in humility.
Grey Fox wasn't as easily moved, "Well, that's fine and all, but where's my payment?"
It looked as though Bowser would throw him again, but Pious interviened this time, and addressed Grey Fox's request.
"For bringing the soul, 500 coins," he said plainly as he produced the bag of gold.
"But our deal was for 800 coins," Grey Fox said irritably, to which Pious replied, "800 coins for the soul and Mario's death. I see no reason to pay you for half a job completed."
It looked as though Grey Fox was about to protest, but he then decided against it after seeing the look Bowser shot at him.
"Fine, but what about my ride home?" Grey Fox asked.
With that, Pious pulled out another item: a blue, glowing, cube. The inside crackled with electricity around a small whirling cloud.
"Your transport, as requested," said Pious. Had the talking skeleton been able to, he might have been wearing a sly sort of smile.
Grey Fox probably should have been more cautious, but being anxious to return to his own world, he hardly suspected anything. He grabbed the cube and gave it a good squeeze. Instantaneously, the cube crackled to life, and began to vibrate in his hand.
Then, without warning, bolts of energy shot along Grey Fox's arm, and he felt his entire body begin to tingle as if he were being electrified.
"What the hell-?!" Grey Fox exclaimed.
Pious, watching him coldly, simply stated, "You're just reward, Mr. Grey Fox."
Before Grey Fox could resist, a vortex opened up around the cube, and it began swallowing up his arm. Grey Fox tried to pull it away, but the force gripped him tightly, and he was eventually pulled in. His entire being was warped and bended as he was sucked into what seemed like a gaping maw of emptiness. And then, he was gone.
"Good riddance," Bowser snorted.
"But, of course, my Liege."

* * *

Mario sat alone on his bed, thinking on what had happened. It all seemed like a bad dream; he wanted to believe it was. He'd even gone to bed three nights before, praying that it was; hoping that in the morning, his brother would be in the bed just opposite of his, and that his love would be in the castle, probably baking a cake just for him. But it wasn't to be; his brother's bed was empty, and his love was not waiting for him.
Since those three days, he'd been secluded in his house. So many regrets, so much sorrow; it was more than a man like him could stand. For so long, he'd wallowed in his depression. It wasn't until he'd done some reflecting on past adventures that he came to a sudden realization: Bowser.
This was his fault, Mario realized.
And for Mario, it made sense. Who else would commit such a dispicable crime? Who in the entire world would want to hurt Mario this badly but that overgrown, koopa, beast. No one in the world could match the kind of evil he was capable of. And if Bowser was willing to go this far, who knew what other attrocities he'd commit.
No, Mario thought to himself, I will not let him. His evil ends now!
With that, Mario jumped off his bed and set forth on his new mission. Going over to his clothes drawer, he pulled out his cape and tied it around his neck. He also pulled out his trusty hammer and strapped it to his belt. This would be his toughest mission of all. But nothing was going to stop him. With his preparations complete, he was out the door, and launched himself into the sky.
Next stop: the Koopa Kingdom.

Three days had passed. Pious had still not completed the ritual, and Bowser was starting to wonder if he would ever be finished. That wasn't to say Bowser just sat around, of course. He kept himself busy: building up his army, training his army, overseeing fortification of his castle, that sort of thing. This was, of course, at the advising of Pious. Bowser never really would've thought of doing these things on his own, and it was a wonder to Pious how Bowser would've ever gotten along without him.
But despite all this, Bowser still wanted his power now, not later. And to Bowser, three days was enough for one ritual.
Bowser burst through the door into Pious' chamber for a sixth time and barked, "Well?!"
"Please, my Liege. These things take time," Pious replied, with more patience than he felt, "I will inform you when the ritual is complete."
Bowser was about to go into more ranting when he was interrupted by a tiny, meek, voice from behind him.
"M-m-master?" the voice stammered.
Bowser turned to find one of his koopa servants quivering right behind him.
"What is it?" he bellowed.
"It's M-Mario, S-sir...He's...c-c-coming...here," he said, ducking at the moment he finished his sentence.
But to his surprise, and relief, Bowser didn't explode, but simply told the koopa, "Tell the others. Prepare for battle."
At this, the koopa saluted, said, "Yes, sir!" and sped off with his news.
Bowser shot a glare at Pious and said, "I want that essence by the time Mario gets here, you hear?"
"By your command, my Liege," Pious replied, quietly so as to not sound testy.
With that, Bowser slammed the door and stalked off.
"Pathetic fool," Pious whispered when he was sure Bowser wouldn't be able to hear, "After tonight, I will be the one to rule over not only this world, but all worlds, not that insufferable twit."

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

aquaeevee on June 15, 2008, 3:04:51 PM

aquaeevee on
aquaeeveenext chapter...a good read

darkyoshi555 on June 11, 2008, 1:11:18 PM

darkyoshi555 on
darkyoshi555This story is getting very interesting! I like it!

neodusk on January 5, 2008, 8:48:44 AM

neodusk on
neoduskI think that Mario jumping to the conclusion of Bowser being behind it all seems a bit hasty. If he did so because he was sad and confused and wanted revenge, then I think that those feelings should have been emphasised just a little more. Again, it would have been better to provide more depth of character development for Bowser as well as background for the Koopa Clan in order to make the story a little more potent.

But overall, this is pretty interesting. I look forward to more chapters.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! (Sorry. Had to say it.) :P

CrimsonDot on January 5, 2008, 9:03:26 AM

CrimsonDot on
CrimsonDotThanks again. I should probably mention that these were written beforehand.

neodusk on January 5, 2008, 9:09:37 AM

neodusk on
neoduskOh.

Erm...okay then. I sball keep this in mind. (I usually update as I write chapters, so this is a new concept to me) :P