Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - Destiny Calls

The Nintendo Universe is thrown into chaos. Sides will be chosen, worlds destroyed, and lives changed forever. Armageddon has arrived.

Chapter 9 - Destiny Calls

Chapter 9 - Destiny Calls
Krystal couldn't believe what she was now seeing. It was a wedding; her wedding. Everyone was there: Slippy, Amanda, Katt, Lucy, General Pepper, even Star Wolf had shown up (though more towards the back, barely noticeable). Falco was there, as the best man. And there, standing in a dashing tuxedo, was Fox himself. Never before had he ever looked more handsome. Slowly, Krystal walked forward. The whole scene was just perfect. All the while she drew closer and closer to her husband to be. And then...
Krystal felt her eyes begin to flutter open. Soon, as her vision came back to her, she found she was someplace else. There was no wedding, her friends were gone, and she was alone. The pain came back to her in waves. The warm happiness was replaced by the cold, dull, ache in her heart.
Krystal felt like she was dying at that very moment. She closed her eyes. She would've loved to welcome death; anything to take the pain away.
But then, a voice seemed to call to her from the darkness. She didn't see the face of the person calling, nor could she recognize the voice. All she could see was a shadowy figure in the dark. At first, she couldn't understand what he was saying, but as she drew nearer, the words became clear: "Don't give up. Please, hold on just a little while longer." It was then that the darkness lifted ever so slightly, and she could make out details of her strange visitor: a green garbed warrior, offering his hand to her. But just as she reached out for it, the figure began to fade from sight.
"Wait!" Krystal cried out. She bolted upright in her bed, reaching out. But the vision was gone. All that was left to her was the memory.
Just then, a sharp pain struck at Krystal's forehead. It wasn't until just now that she noticed her injury. It was at that same moment that she noticed the bandage wrapped around her forehead. She was saved. But by who? And to what end?
Krystal decided to leave these questions on hold for the moment. For now, she was probably in good care. For what little good it mattered.
As she lay back down, Krystal looked about herself to find she was lying in an old, wooden, cot. Then, she looked around and took in the rest of the room: the walls were made of stone brick, and the building itself held up by wooden support beams. The roof was made of wooden planks, and the room was lit by a few torches. As she brought herself up, supported by her elbows, she noticed three tables pushed against the far wall, most likely to make room for her.
Then, as Krystal's vision traveled to the open doorway on her left side, she noticed a small pair of eyes staring at her. At first, she was startled and rose sharply, which caused the pair of eyes to dart back behind the doorway. Krystal remained upright, watching the doorway intently.
Then, the small eyes appeared again, this time followed by the rest of the face. Krystal then relaxed that it was just a child who was watching her. For a moment there, she half expected it to be some form of hideous troll.
As the boy emerged from his hiding spot, Krystal gave him a good look over. He was human like, a form of race Krystal had never seen until the moment the Haldberd arrived. He looked to be at least five to six years of age. His eyes were blue and his blonde hair combed neatly to each side. His clothes were rather plain, as if he were brought up under a humble environment.
The moment he came out he bowed his head and said, "Sis tae lan. Gordet lilyn ret ten."
Krystal did a double take. Then asked, "I'm sorry, what was that?"
The boy looked at her inquisitively, then asked, "Horkon...mela cop tek mai?"
Krystal was beginning to feel panicked, "I...I don't understand..."
The boy was also beginning to look a little awkward when another voice came from behind him.
"Oi! Colin!"
The boy turned immediately upon hearing the name. Krystal wasn't sure whether 'Colin' was actually his name or some word meaning 'boy'.
A middle aged woman walked into the doorway next. She wore fairly a lot of makeup and wore her hair in a high up pony tail. Her attire suggested she either was a cook or a bartender. What Krystal noticed most of all was her pointed ears; she thought this to be somewhat unusual, given that the boy's ears weren't pointed. Krystal decided to keep her assumptions to herself.
"Colin," the woman said to the boy in a scolding tone, "Meka to nor sep mek nela pasto con?"
"Shina met to mek nela pasto mai," the boy replied defensively.
The woman then turned to Krystal and said, "Colin me sackvi nek. Orbos coo neek neta."
Krystal was starting to feel herself blush.
The boy then started tugging on the woman's apron and whispered to her, "Shesta hostin Hylia nov toka mai."
"Hylia nov toka mai?" the woman asked in astonishment, to which the boy nodded in response.
The woman then turned to Krystal and bowed apologetically saying, "Sis tae lan."
Krystal was at least able to surmise that 'sis tae lan' was some form of apologyzing. To which Krystal herself bowed and said, "It's no trouble." Although whether or not they understood her intent was something else.
The woman then placed a hand on her chest and said, "Telma," then placed a hand on the boy and said "Colin."
Krystal guessed that she was trying to introduce themselves, so she placed her own hand on her chest and said, "Krystal."
Both Telma and Colin nodded to show they understood. Telma then said slowly, "Koro mesa ni," while using a hand gesture she assumed meant wait. Then both of them left for a while, leaving Krystal alone.
As she sat there, Krystal wanted to thank these people for their kindness, but couldn't think anything outside of speaking. Then, as she was looking down, she noticed her wrist communicator. It was then that she remembered that Slippy had added a universal translator to their communicators. It was almost amazing she forgot such a thing.
Krystal immediately tried switching it on, but the communicator simply beeped weakly then fizzled silent. This certainly posed a problem. But, she wasn't about to be deterred just yet. Pulling the communicator off her wrist, and pulling an emergency tool kit from her utility belt, she set to work at fixing her communicator. It wasn't a difficult piece of equipment, and surely easy to repair.
Just as she started her work, she heard a door open from the other room and two pairs of feet walk in. Telma's voice called out happily, "Ilia! Link! Tobo sakta."
"Tobo sakta, Telma nin," a young woman's voice replied.
Next, Krystal could hear a young man's voice, "Telma nin, shesta domo con?"
"Shesta con et nia mei," Telma replied happily, "Nina siki tet na."
"Akat mi toka nen?" the young woman asked.
"Toka nendai, Hylia nov toka mai den," Telma said rather glumly.
"Zokka," the young man said, "Tota nema kai?"
"'Krystal' do tek," Telma said.
Krystal continued to work on her communicator while listening to their conversation; the damage was superficial, so it didn't take long to fix. From what she could tell, the young man seemed to be called Link and the young woman Ilia. They seemed concerned about Krystal, though she couldn't seem to get why.
Krystal was just about putting the final touches on the repairs when Colin walked in with a bowl of soup.
"Soro kakinet?" Colin asked as Krystal slipped her communicator back on her wrist.
Then Colin placed the bowl on the small table next to her cot and began to speak again just as Krystal turned her translator on.
"Telma nin moro-the soup. It's very good; I'm sure you'll like it."
Krystal smiled. It was going to be nice being on speaking terms. Of course, Colin wasn't sure how to take her smile.
"Thank you," Krystal told Colin, in what seemed to him as his own language.
Colin became wide-eyed and said, "Whoa. You can speak Hylian?"
"Not exactly," Krystal replied, pointing to her communicator.
Colin looked at it for a moment, then said, "I see. It's your bracelet, right? It has magic powers?"
Krystal was a little taken back by this statement. It was probably ages since the last time she'd heard somebody refer to something as magic. But, she had to remind herself that this was probably a much more primitive culture; one with little understanding of her kind of technology.
"Yes," she replied, "magic."
Colin then went and called for the people in the other room, "Quick, quick! You have to see this!"
Telma, along with the two other people she was talking with ran in. The young woman, probably Ilia, was blonde with fair skin and plain clothing, like Colin. The young man, Link, was somewhat more peculiar than the others. His hair was blonde and had blue eyes, and his ears were more pointed as well, a trait she didn't see in Ilia. His outfit was also unusual: a green tunic and hat who's point drooped down in the back. But the more she looked at him, the more he started to seem familiar.
"What's wrong, honey?" Telma asked.
"Don't worry," Krystal said, "Everything's fine."
Telma and Ilia gasped suddenly and Link whispered to Telma, "I thought you said she couldn't speak Hylian."
"It's her bracelet," Colin told them, "it's magic."
"Magic?" Ilia asked Colin, then turned to Krystal and said, "So, you are a magician."
"Well, not really," Krystal replied bashfully, "Where I'm from, everyone has one of these."
"Well, honey," Telma said more joyfully, "it'll be great to know we'll be able to understand each other from now on."
"Yes. And thank you for saving me," Krystal said, bowing at the waist.
"You should really thank Link for that," Ilia said, patting Link on the shoulder, "He was the one who found you."
"Oh," Krystal took a look at Link, who had averted his vision at the last second. "Thank you," she said to Link.
"Could...you excuse us for just a moment?" Link asked Ilia and Telma softly.
Telma, after looking at Link for a short while, said, "Sure thing, honey," then motioned for Ilia and Colin to follow her.
After they had left, Link sat down on one end of the cot, and looked at Krystal, who was on the opposite side of the cot and had averted her vision.
"You okay?" Link asked.
Krystal was silent for a moment, then replied, "I'll live."
"That's not what I mean," Link said more insistantly.
"Then what do you mean?" Krystal still looked down at the cold stone floor.
"Telma said you were talking in your sleep," Link said. His stare seemed to bore right into Krystal's soul.
Krystal remained silent, so Link continued, "I can't say that I understand the kind of pain you're going through, but no matter what, you can't just give up on living."
Krystal then turned to Link and said testily, "Who are you to presume you can tell me what to do?"
"Just a guy who knows to always hope for the better," Link replied calmly.
Krystal began to feel angry at him. She'd never heard such idiotic words from a more ignorant jerk in her life.
"You have no clue what you're talking about," Krystal told Link coldly.
Link had no answer to this, and simply got off the cot and walked out. Krystal looked after him; she couldn't imagine what gave him the gaul to try to give her that pep talk.
What does that jerk know. Krystal thought to herself resentfully. The more she thought about it, the more she started connecting her earlier vision with that same warrior, which only angered her even more.
She could hear Link whisper something to the others. Krystal didn't need to hear him to know what he was saying. Right now, she'd prefer it if they gave her space for now. So with that, she closed her eyes and tried to fall back to sleep, hoping Fox would be there in her dreams again.

Link stalked out the door to the tavern and closed the door behind him. All told, Link felt he had every right to be mad at her, though he chose not to show it. He had his own friend he had to say fairwell to, and not being able to see her at all was just as painful as whatever loss Krystal might have suffered; at least, that's how he felt. The only reason Link didn't snap back at her was because of his better judgement.
Link resolved to try again later; surely she wasn't as lost a cause as the others assumed she was. But just then, Link heard a strange music. It was played on a horn that Link was somewhat able to recognize.
Could it be...?
The moment he ran a good distance away from the entrance into a more open area, the music immediately cut off. Link held his ground and perked his ears, listening intently for the horn to start playing again.
And then, suddenly, Link was caught from behind by a sour note that sent goose-bumps all over his skin. He nearly jumped three feet into the air as he whirled around. Link then found himself facing a short, raggedy dressed imp, holding the very horn that was playing the strange music earlier. Link recognized him immediately.
"You're-! You're that Skull Kid from the Sacred Grove!" Link exclaimed as he tried to catch his breath.
"You catch on quick," Skull Kid replied, wearing the same smirk he always wore.
"And just what do you want?" Link demanded.
"Just to warn you," Skull Kid replied slyly.
Link eyed him warily; Link was never sure what to expect from him, "Warn me of what?"
"A new age of darkness approaches on swift wings," Skull Kid said jovially, flapping his hands as he danced around Link in a child-like manner.
Link remained silent for a moment, then asked "Ganon returns?"
Skull Kid immediately stopped and waved Link's question away as if it were a fly, "Psh! Hardly! He's nothing compared to what's coming."
"What is coming, then?" Link asked more anxiously.
"If you want to know more, I suggest asking your new friend," Skull Kid replied, pointing in the direction of Telma's Bar.
It took Link only a moment to surmise the meaning, "Krystal?"
"That's right," Skull Kid said, "Fox-lady there has faced the evil...and lost."
Link was beginning to feel more and more anxious about this news as Skull Kid continued, "And so, it will be up to you to stop the evil."
"What?" Link asked incredulously
"Of course," Skull Kid answered, "Orders from the Goddesses, after all."
Link stumbled backwards until he bumped against the wall, then slid down to his feet. "I don't have much of choice in this, do I?" he asked glummly as he eyed his left hand.
"Maaaaaybe," Skull Kid said, then blew his horn right into Link's face. The horn began spouting small dead leaves, which blinded Link for a short while. After Link opened his eyes again, Skull Kid was gone; in his place was a long, slender package.
Link picked it up gingerly, then pulled back the cloth wrapping to discover that the item was actually the legendary weapon of the Hero: The Master Sword.
Link took a deep sigh, and rose to his feet. The day had finally come; as they said it would. Not long after Link had departed from Ordon Village and begun roaming the plains of Hyrule, he'd recieved a vision from the four guardian spirits of Hyrule. In the vision, they'd told him to be on his guard and to not stray from the path, for a time would come when the Hero's strength would be needed again.
And now, that time had come. Link felt resentful of the symbol engraved into his hand. He'd never asked to be a hero; the only reason he took the job the first time was to save his friends. Link never wanted to make a career of it, and if it were up to him, he'd give the position up outright. But then he thought about his friends; not just the ones he made in Ordon Village, but all the people he'd met during his quest. He remembered that it was only because of his courage that his world was spared from darkness. There was no one else.
I guess, Link thought to himself, I just hope for the best...

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

aquaeevee on June 16, 2008, 6:58:08 AM

aquaeevee on
aquaeeveeok so not marth and co but definetly one of the good guys. but my question is was he dealing with shiek/zelda or sombody different, if it wasn't zelda what happened to her?

neodusk on February 16, 2008, 7:40:00 AM

neodusk on
neoduskNicley done! However, I'd advise that you put in spacing between dialogue and paragraphs. It's a little difficult to read. :P