Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - A Shaken Spirit

The Nintendo Universe is thrown into chaos. Sides will be chosen, worlds destroyed, and lives changed forever. Armageddon has arrived.

Chapter 11 - A Shaken Spirit

Chapter 11 - A Shaken Spirit
When Mario stepped out of the portal, he was surprised for two reasons. First off, he wasn't expecting to find a world as archaic looking as this. Second, he wasn't exactly expecting an audience for his grand entry. Nevertheless, there were two spectators there, one of whom he was looking for, the other someone he hadn't met yet.

"Well, how nice to recieve a welcoming committee," Mario said, an eerie calmness lacing his words.

Krystal and Link both leapt to their feet. Link wasn't sure about who Mario was, but remained on his guard none the less. Krystal, on the other hand knew full well who he was.

"You," Krystal said fiercefully. That was apparently the only word she could muster at that moment.

"You know him?" Link asked, in Hylian.

Mario, of course, was surprised once again by this flavoring of a foreign language. But he didn't come completely unprepared, and activated his new toy: the wrist communicator/universal translator that he had obtained from Dash's equipment.

"Tell me, green warrior, can you understand me now?" Mario asked Link casually.

Now it was Link's turn to be surprised.

"He has the same magic you have," Link said, looking over to Krystal again.

"Yes," Krystal replied, "My home was conquered by the armada he leads."

"And you, my dear," Mario interjected, "are the one saved by that fool."

Krystal gasped suddenly, and fell silent.

Link, seeing her reaction was able make the connection, so demanded, "You mean Fox? What did you do with him?"

"Nothing," Mario replied, "If you want someone to blame for his death, ask Mr. Bowman."

Krystal remained silent, but tears began to well up on her face. Link, on the other hand, wasn't able to fully grasp the whole situation.

"You see, Dash felt it was better to join my side," Mario continued,"rather than stay on yours. It was a wise decision on his part. It's a shame Fox wasn't as smart."

Krystal and Link both remained silent as Mario prattled on, "After saving you, he was actually foolish enough to try to oppose me. Honestly, I can't imagine what fool notion he had that would've led him to believe he could actually change the inevitable. Ah, well. Just another-."

"You foul, wretched, bastard!!"

Link's outburst surprised Krystal, and only slightly annoyed Mario.

"Fox was a warrior! One who gave his life so that his people may be saved from you! I will not stand here silent while you soil his memory like that!!"

Krystal looked towards him, her eyes tear soaked from hearing about Fox's death. But seeing Link passionately defending Fox's honor like that filled her with a sense of gratitude. More and more, she began to see Fox's shining example radiating from Link's spirit. Mario, on the other hand, only saw it as more foolishness.

"It is unwise to provoke a being as powerful as I," Mario said, his agitation becoming most apparent.

"I will show you no mercy," Link replied, his hand gripped tightly on his sword.

"Fool," Mario said as he fired an energy bolt directly at Link. Link, however, reacted with equally fast speed, drawing the Master Sword out at lightning speeds and deflected the beam with it. Mario then closed his fist and the beam fizzled out.

"Very interesting," Mario said with genuine intrigue, "your blade is impressive to be sure, but how's your skill?" As he spoke, he clenched his fist and with a flash, a red and yellow hammer materialized into his hand. Link was unfazed, and pulled out his shield as he prepared for battle.

Then both fighters leapt towards each other at incredible speeds. Link's sword connected with Mario's hammer and the connection created a shockwave of explosive force. The blast knocked Krystal off her feet.

Link was then able to force Mario back a small ways and began swinging furiously at him. Mario met the assault and almost effortlessly blocked every swing with his hammer. After about 30 seconds of this, Link leapt backwards and then charged forward again, ready to perform a thrust attack. Mario took his stance, ready to counter it, but then Link made a last minute roll to the side, manuvering to Mario's rear. Then, performing a small twirling strike, he managed to land a hit on Mario, who fell forwards from the blow. Link then leapt into the air, and aimed the tip of his blade downward, ready to make the final plunge. But Mario reacted too quickly, and jumped into a small wormhole that teleported him to a different spot on the battle field. After striking the ground, Link pulled his sword from the ground and turned to face Mario as he rose to his feet.

Mario felt the wound on his back. It wasn't severe, but it was the first time he'd ever been struck since acquiring his new powers. Seeing his own blood in his hands was disallusioning for him. It only incurred even more irritation at his new opponent.

"I'll make you regret that," Mario growled, to which Link responded, "Come and try then."

With that, Mario made his charge, brandishing his hammer, ready to bash Link's skull in. Link responded with a charge of his own. They flew at each other at incredible speed. Mario was the first to make a move, swinging his hammer horizontally. Link anticipated the move and leapt over him, performing a flipping strike, landing a blow on Mario's head.

Mario stumbled forward, somewhat dizzy from the blow. After shaking himself aware, he rebounded towards Link, ready to swing again. But just as he was about to strike Link, who'd only barely turned in time to face his opponent, Mario was hit in the side by an energy blast and was knocked off his feet.

Link stood there, dumbfounded for a moment, then looked over to his left, at which time he saw Krystal standing there with what seemed to him as a strange weapon in her hands. Mario rolled on the ground for a while, and then regained his footing to get a look at the one who attacked him.

Krystal stared at him with burning eyes, and her finger on the trigger.

"You've got more than one opponent in this fight."

Mario looked over at Krystal with growing irritation, only barely aware of the gash on his head.

"Seems to be getting a little too noisy here," Mario said, his left eye beginning to twitch slightly. He then fired another energy beam at Link. Link, being distracted, wasn't able to react in time, and was caught in the neck. He tried swinging his sword to deflect the beam again, but the beam maintained it's intensity.

"Let's go someplace more private," Mario said, and after creating a wormhole, threw Link in. Krystal reacted too late; she let loose a powerful blast, but Mario countered with a miniature worm hole that absorbed the blast, and shot it back at her. She dodged the blast, and Mario used it as an opportunity to escape into the same wormhole Link was thrown in and disappeared.

Krystal rose to her feet and looked on in disbelief. In desperation she tried looking around to get some glimpse of her new friend. Then, she caught sight of the young lady, Ilia. The look of utter shock told her she'd just bared witness to the event. Krystal felt struck with guilt as she realized she would need to tell her about it.

But just as Krystal was about to walk over to Ilia, a distant sound of jet engines caught both their attention, and both Ilia and Krystal turned towards the sky in time to see a strange vessel decending from the clouds towards Hyrule.



A wormhole opened in the middle of Hyrule Field and spit Link out. Link rolled around dazed from the experience he'd just had. As he struggled to his feet, Mario popped out of the portal and stood a small ways away from him. Link got ready to launch another attack, but was stopped when Mario held up his hand and launched a fireball and knocked Link back a small ways.

"Enough. I didn't bring you here to continue fighting," Mario said.

Link wasn't quite ready to be so trusting, but held his attack anyway. Once it was clear Link wasn't about to do anything, Mario became more relaxed and began to speak.

"You seem like quite the fighter. You have a lot of power."

"What does it matter to you?" Link asked harshly.

"It takes a lot of men to manage an empire," Mario replied calmly, "I could provide a good position for you in my armada."

Link felt disgusted at the thought, "What? You think I would abandon my convictions to serve your twisted ambitions?!"

"Tell me, you're the hero of this world, right?" Mario asked simply.

"Yes," Link answered cautiously.

"How is it you were able to protect your home for so long?"

Link replied right away, "Because of the power of light, of course!"

Mario chuckled lightly, "Light. And I suppose it was also because of your passion for justice and courageous spirit."

Link wasn't sure how to respond, so Mario continued, "That rubbish you call 'justice' is nothing more than a myth. You delude yourself by filling your head with such fantasies."

Link felt outraged, "What would you know-?!"

"I know enough to realize the truth." Mario interupted.

"And what truth is that?" Link asked incredulously.

"The only thing that exists in the universe is power." Mario replied.

"Your the fool! Your belief is the myth!" Link shouted back.

"Really? Who's to say you're 'right' and I'm 'wrong'?"

Link was about to answer, but his voice left him. He'd never thought of this question before, and the answer couldn't come to him.

Seeing his silence, Mario continued, "Let me tell you something I've learned. In order for a government to establish itself, it must show it's capable of leading it's people and caring for them. To show this, they must demonstrate that they're strong. Thus, if one is to enforce certain ideas, they must be powerful."

"You're wrong," Link said, though his voice was starting to sound unsure.

"You say I'm wrong, but all along you've been proving me right," Mario said.

"What?" Link asked incredulously.

"You can't deny it. You call your victories examples of good conquering evil, but they're nothing more than examples of you, a powerful fighter, conquering a weaker opponent."

Link was about to rebut, but Mario interjected again, "There is no point denying it. Even you are considering that what I've told you may just be true."

Link fell silent again, and Mario continued on, "What if I told you that I intend to create peace for the entire universe."

Link remained silent.

"By completing my empire, I'll have created what no other has ever dreamed capable: a utopia. Think of it, with one rule over all people, I can enforce the kind of peace your convictions could never defend on their own. You cannot deny that my way is the easiest path. Join me, and peace will reign in all the worlds; even this one."

Link felt his stomach turn queezy. It was the first time he'd ever felt unsure of himself. If what Mario said was true, then everything would be solved in a matter of days. He wouldn't need to be a hero anymore; all he'd have to do is help this Mario and peace would be set easily established. How easy life would be then.

Just as Mario finished, he created a new wormhole, and before he left, he turned to Link and said, "I will ignore this world for one week. At the end of that week, I will announce throughout my empire, and in this world as well, that I will give a momentous announcement that will affect the entire future of this universe. And you will be there, otherwise, I will tell your people that you abandoned them. Once you arrive, you will announce to the universe your decision. If you join me, then you will help me hunt down my enemies, and be praised as a hero. And, of course, your people will follow your example, and I will give them peaceful, prosperous lives. If you don't, I will have my army arrest you or destroy you; either way, you won't escape. And your people? I will ensure that they take no part in my dream. The choice is yours."

And with that, he strolled through his portal and disappeared. Link was left alone, confused and disallusioned. What should he do? Would he abandon all he believed in so his people could live safely, or would he stay true to the path and fight? The mission he was charged with only required him to save Hyrule, but then he remembered his words earlier, and he couldn't go against his pledge to protect the other worlds. Of course, if Mario's words to be trusted, he could accomplish both in no time. On the other hand, even Link had to admit that was a pretty big 'if'.

"Hero of Hyrule."

The voice caught Link of guard, and he spun around until he found her. A woman dressed in blue and wearing a golden crown was standing before him, glowing with an eerie radiance.

"Who are you?" Link asked frightenedly.

"I am Roselia; Guardian of galaxies," the woman replied.

"What do you want of me, spirit?" Link asked again.

"Do not except Mario's offer. His vision is one of darkness," Roselia told him.

Link simply fell to his knees, dropping his sword and shield, "But...what if he's right? How am to know what is good or evil anymore?"

"Have faith. Your destiny is far greater than what he offers," Roselia answered.

Link raised his head, "What do you mean?"

Roselia didn't answer, but simply vanished before his eyes.

"Wait!" Link cried out, rising back to chase after her, "Come back! No!"

But it was too late. Link now found himself counfounded with more questions than before. The weight now placed on his shoulder's began to take it's toll on Link's spirit. Under this punishment, he collapsed back onto his hands and knees. This was Link's hardest ordeal yet.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

aquaeevee on June 16, 2008, 7:16:15 AM

aquaeevee on
aquaeeveeoh my this is really getting good. you have the mark of an excellent writer. im serious you should consider getting this made into a comic book dude/dudette =]