Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 12 - The Week to Come

The Nintendo Universe is thrown into chaos. Sides will be chosen, worlds destroyed, and lives changed forever. Armageddon has arrived.

Chapter 12 - The Week to Come

Chapter 12 - The Week to Come
It took Link hours to get back to Hyrule Castle. It was a large structure, so it was easy to find, however the spot where he was left was still a long distance away. It was only because of his horse, Epona, that it didn't take him until the next morning.

During the ride, Link felt his mind was flooded with meandering thoughts. Most were concerned with Mario's offer and Roselia's warning. Who should he believe? Which path should he choose? Link had never before questioned his convictions, following them blindly with no consideration to any other ideas. After what Mario had just told him, those convictions began to seem based on unproven beliefs. How was he to discern right from wrong now?

Another thing that bothered him was what Roselia had told him. What destiny had yet to befall him in the future? And how would it affect the rest of the universe? This question weighed far heavier on his shoulders than the first. Roselia had given him no explanations or reasonings; only that he should have faith, and stay true to his path: the path of the Hero.

If only there was some insight he could attain; some manner of vision that would tell him what to do. This decision was one that was too great for him to make alone. Link heaved a deep sigh as he let his head droop.

If only there was someone else. If only...


After Link's disappearence, the vessel that had made it's descent into Hyrule was the vessel under the employ of the Knights of Hope. The Haldberd was at the moment well hidden among the clouds above Hyrule, and one of their smaller ships was sent down not only to carry an envoy to the rulers of Hyrule, but also in search of Krystal. The envoy included Princess Daisy, her first officer, Blade Knight, Kirby, her body guard, and their most recent recruit, Peppy Hare. Flying the vessel was a mercenary by the name of Samus Aran, who'd joined their group for reasons she chose not to share just yet.

Needless to say, both Peppy and Krystal were brought to tears when they saw each other. The reunion was welcome news for both of them. Of course, Peppy found it difficult to break the news about Fox to Krystal at first, but she told him she already knew, which lessened the burden. Then Krystal mentioned the arrival of Mario, thus insuing mixed feelings among Peppy and the rest of the group: gladness that she was able to escape unscathed, worriedness over Link's safety, and confusion as to why Mario had chosen to show up alone and not with his armada.

But these puzzles would have to wait. Princess Daisy requested that Ilia take her to the ruler of Hyrule, to which Ilia immediately agreed and took her straight away to Castle Hyrule. It should probably be noted that the universal translators that Slippy had invented was shared among other members of the Knights of Hope.

***

In a matter of minutes, they were brought to the throne room of Castle Hyrule, before the presence of the leader of Hyrule, Princess Zelda. Ilia immediately bowed down to her knees upon being announced; the others likewise followed her example.

The throne room was brilliantly decorated, the pillars carved from white marble, the floors of sparkling ebony, and a golden sculpture, depicting three goddesses and three golden triangles, the centerpiece of the room; the sculpture, along with the throne, was raised up to a slightly higher level to give the princess and the sculpture an impression of being of higher presence.

The Princess sat upon her throne, accompanied by one of her royal advisors. He stood tall and erect, just behind the Princess's throne.

"You are Ilia of Ordon Village, correct?" Princess Zelda asked, gently.

"I am, your Highness," Ilia replied with utmost humility and respect.

"What is your business here?" Princess Zelda asked.

"I bring you members of a group called the Knights of Hope," Ilia replied dutifully, "they wish to speak with her Majesty about some important issues."

Princess Zelda gazed upon the group, and then said, "You may approach."

Upon hearing this, Ilia, and the others, slowly rose to their feet and walked slowly and courtiesly towards the steps before Zelda's throne. Upon drawing closer to her, it was Princess Daisy who came forward and spoke to Princess Zelda.

"Your Majesty, I am Princess Daisy, leader of the Knights of Hope. I have come to your kingdom, bringing dire news."

Zelda was silent for a moment, then gave Daisy permission to continue. From there, Daisy told her everything about the Mushroom Empire, and the threat they presented to her Kingdom. When Daisy finished, Zelda kept her calm demeanor, but it was clear that the news was most disconcerting.

Zelda's advisor, Vissen, then stepped forward and asked, suspiciously, "What proof do you have of this threat?"

"I have none," Daisy replied after a short pause, to which Ilia added, "They seem like honorable people, your Majesty, and I gladly vouche for them."

Daisy felt comforted by this display of trust, but the Vissen wasn't as easily convinced, "The judgement of a commoner is not enough to form a case here."

"Then I shall vouche for them as well."

Everyone present were startled by the new voice. All eyes whirled around towards the entrance, and there, standing with two escorts, was Link.

"Link!" Ilia cried, forgetting herself, and rushing towards him at full sprint. She then threw herself onto Link, wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging tightly. Link hugged her back, knowing all too well how worried she must've been.

"It's okay, Ilia," Link whispered into her ear, "everything's all right."

"I'm just glad you're still alive," Ilia whispered back as she fought back tears.

After Ilia pulled herself away from him, Link gave one last comforting touch to Ilia's face, and then made his way towards the throne. He chanced a glance over to Krystal, who was looking equally releaved that he returned, to which he gave her a reassuring nod. He also seemed to notice Samus, who, for reasons beyond Link, seemed to be staring most intently at him, though he didn't know how he could tell when he considered that she was wearing a strange manner of armor that covered even her face.

"Mr. Link," Vissen asked testily, "how exactly is it that you come to believe these outsiders?"

Link replied, "This is because I have faced the leader of the Mushroom Empire himself."

Zelda let out a stunned gasp. Then Blade Knight came up to Link and asked, "Were you able to defeat him."

Link was silent a moment, then replied, "No, I could not defeat him. But he made his intentions quite clear to me, in that he intends to conquer all other worlds in the creation of his empire."

Princess Daisy spoke again, "And it is for this reason, your Highness, that we must act quickly before any evil befalls your people."

Zelda heard Daisy's words, but was more focused on Link. There were those among the citizens of Hyrule who knew of Zelda's uncanny ability to sense other's inner feelings. And right now, her instincts were picking up on the turmoil inside Link's heart.

"Link," Zelda spoke to Link, "I sense there is some detail you've not yet shared with us."

All eyes then turned to Link, who was beginning to feel Zelda's eyes burn deep into his soul. He hoped that maybe he didn't need to tell them of what had happened just yet, and that they could find out later on. However, at this point, there was no hiding it anymore.

"Yes," he admited, "there is one other detail."

Link then went into length about the ultimatum Mario had made with him; about how Link would either join the Mushroom Empire, against the Knights of Hope, or refuse to join, thereby condemning Hyrule to suffer the Mushroom Empire's full wrath. This piece of news struck Daisy a shocking blow, as well as the rest of her group. Ilia clasped her hands to her mouth, holding in her outburst.

"What did you decide?" Zelda asked warily.

"I have not decided yet," Link replied woefully, "I've one week to declare my choice."

Zelda was silent for a moment, but then turned to Vissen and asked, "What say you, my advisor?"

"The choice is obvious, your majesty," Vissen replied, "we must side with the Mushroom Empire."

Ilia wasn't able to control her outburst this time, "What?!"

Vissen looked as though he hardly took notice, and justified his choice by saying: "The Mushroom Empire is a strong nation; one that vastly overshadows our little kingdom significantly. And you 'Knights of Hope' are nothing more than homeless rabbles with claims to no countries whatsoever. It would be more logical and beneficial for Hyrule to join the side more likely to win the war, in other words: Mushroom Empire."

"How could you say such a thing?!" Ilia shouted at him, "You would rather we side with a nation of plunderers?!"

"This decision would have all of Hyrule's citizenry in mind, the common folk included," Vissen answered rather testily.

"Or maybe your just having your own well being in mind!" Ilia shot back angrily.

"How dare you-!"

"Enough!!" Zelda shouted. Immediately, both Ilia and Vissen lowered their heads and became silent.

Zelda paused a moment to regain her composure, then directed her gaze to Daisy and asked, "Princess Daisy, what would you have me do?"

"I would most appreciate your help in our cause," Daisy replied, "but it is not my place to decide the actions of a kingdom. Whatever you decide, I will not oppose you."

Zelda nodded solemnly, seemingly pleased with Daisy's answer. Then after another moment of silence, she rose from her throne addressed everyone present, "Everything I do, every decision that I make, I make for the sake of the kingdom. And Vissen's words are true, that it would be favorable for Hyrule to side with the Mushroom Empire."

Vissen nodded in agreement at this, an oily smirk peeking out of the corner of his mouth.

"But we cannot ignore the lessons and values of our fore-fathers. To ignore those lessons, we would deny who we are; our identity as kingdom."

Vissens smirk quickly evaporated, while Ilia's smile became more evident.

"Unfortunately, the decision is not mine to make."

Everyone was immediately confused by this statement, but remained silent as Zelda continued, "The fate of Hyrule, as it has in the past, lies entirely up to the Hero's decision," she said as she indicated Link with a gesture of her hand.

Vissen was about to protest, but Zelda held up her hand to silent him and spoke to Link with an almost pleading tone, "Link, whatever decision you make, I will pledge our Kingdom's support to you. We will side with whomever you choose."

Link probably felt the most against this decision. It would've been easier for Zelda to decide; which ever side Zelda would've wanted, he would gladly follow suit. Now that Hyrule's future was now dependant on the decision he was to make, it became all the more difficult.

Daisy looked worriedly at Link, wondering if it was really wise to leave the decision in his hands. Peppy also picked up on Link's wavering spirit, and it concerned him no less than Daisy. Looking at Samus and Kirby, it was impossible to really discern what they were thinking.

"Princess," Link finally spoke, "please...don't make me choose..."

As he said this, both Krystal and Ilia exchanged worried looks. They felt they knew Link well enough to know that this was definitely not normal.

"Princess, please," Link continued to beg as he fought to maintain his composure, "I cannot accept this responsibility. I fear I'm not as capable as you believe."

"Whether or not," Zelda replied, "you are fit is irrelavent. Mario has extended his invitation to you, therefore, it is you who must make the decision."

"Your highness," Link began, but was cut off by Zelda, "Link, you must be strong! Hyrule needs your strength, now more than ever!"

"But-!" Link was about to respond when he noticed that the small, pink, creature, Kirby, had trotted it's way over to him. He stared at Link with a burning scowl. Then, without warning, he leapt up and gave Link a sharp slap to the face.

"Kirby!" Daisy shouted scoldingly, but Kirby didn't seem to be listening, and stormed out the hall, visibly upset.

"What was that about?" Daisy asked out loud, to which Samus replied, "I think it's obvious."

Link looked over to Samus, who also walked towards him. All that time, Link hadn't the slightest clue what she was about to do, although he did cover his other cheek, just in case. When Samus was almost toe-to-toe with Link, she stared right at him, and he stared back.

Finally, Samus spoke, "I guess you aren't the one."

With that, Samus turned on her heels and exited the hall in the same manner as Kirby. The situation had turned extremely awkward, so Zelda quickly took charge and said to Daisy, "If you wish, I can arrange for rooms for you, if you wish to stay a while longer."

"Actually," Daisy answered humbly, "we could use some time to resupply and recouperate, if it's no trouble to her Majesty."

"No trouble at all," Zelda told her assuringly. Vissen, however, objected by saying, "Your Highness, I believe it would be more prudent for them to be on their way, wouldn't it? If we are to have the Mushroom Empire look favorably upon us-."

"Vissen, you will not speak of such things anymore!"

Zelda's harsh reply instantly silenced Vissen, who bowed down humbly and backed away a small ways.

"Guards," Zelda ordered the two soldiers near the entrance to the hall, "prepare rooms for our guests."

At this, the guards saluted by placing a fist on their chests, and then escorted what remained of Zelda's entourage, along with Krystal and Ilia, to guest quarters. Then Zelda rose from her throne and departed from the throne room, with Vissen close behind. That just left Link alone with nothing but his thoughts. If ever he felt like crying, that was the moment, and so he did.

***

The next three days seem to stretch on forever. Daisy's group spent the time recouperating, taking in all the comfort Hyrule had to offer. Seeing how light-hearted everyone had become, it was almost as if the war had come to a silent end, if only for a moment.

Daisy spent most of her time with Zelda, learning much about Hyrule's people and it's history. In return, Daisy shared with Zelda tales of her homeland, Mushroom Kingdom; of the days before Mario took over and it became the empire it was today. Somehow, those days seemed so distant to her.

Blade Knight rarely took time to relax, so he instead kept himself busy with their affairs. After sending supplies back to the Haldberd, he learned that the Gorons, the rock people of Death Mountain, and Zoras, the fish-like race from Zora's Domain, tended to separate themselves from the Hylians, thus were outside of their control. Immediately, he went over to both Goron and Zora Kingdoms to relay to them everything that had transpired until that point. Though both races felt inclined to join the Knights of Hope outright, but they also felt they had developed friendly ties with the Hylians, and were reluctant to jeopordize that friendship should the Hylians join the side opposite of them. Thus, their leaders said that they base their final decision on the Hylians' choice, meaning they would stay on the same side as the Hylians.

In the mean time, everyone mostly tried to keep themselves distracted. Chances to actually relax were slim to none, and even then such instances were fleeting. Everyone felt it was best to live it up now, lest it be the last chance they get.

But as happy and joyful as everyone one was, Link still remained aloof from the others. He mostly kept to himself, puttering around Hyrule field, no longer able to find comfort in the silence of those plains. His thoughts continued to rumble throughout his mind to the point his ears were with filled with thunder and his head constantly ached. Restless days and sleepless nights began to take their toll on his will power, almost to the point of driving him mad.

On the third day, he spent the afternoon among an old ruin not far from the Hyrule Town. The ruin was the site of an old amphitheatre that fell out of use long ago. It was the perfect place to be alone, but he still found no comfort. He'd been wrestling with his decision for what seemed to him as an eternity now. He still had no answer in terms of what would've been best for Hyrule, nor did he find any comfort in the visitation he recieved from Roselia. All he could do is ponder everything he'd seen and heard until that point. To be honest, Link wasn't sure about how much more pondering he could withstand.

"Looks like you could use some company."

The voice caught Link completely off guard. He whirled around and caught sight of the person speaking to him. When he caught a glimpse of his new visitor, he felt, for the first time this week, somewhat comforted.

"Rusl!" Link exclaimed, "Your here?!"

"Been here since yesterday," Rusl replied frankly, "I would've said 'hi', but couldn't exactly find you."

Link fell silent for a moment as Rusl made his way towards Link and sat down next to him. Then Link replied, "I've been...doing some thinking."

"So Ilia tells me," Rusl said, taking a look at the setting sun, "all of Hyrule's future dependant on one man. Kinda silly, if you ask me."

Link then looked over to Rusl and asked, "What else has Ilia told you?"

It took a little while for Rusl to think about the right way to answer that question, after which he said, "She told me you're unsure with yourself, which doesn't sound like you at all."

"She just doesn't understand," Link said despairingly.

"Well, I'm your best friend, aren't I?" Rusl asked encouragingly, "Maybe you can help me understand?"

Link gave a good look at Rusl, who beamed back at as only a true friend could. So Link told him everything about the conversation he'd had with Mario before the ultimatum. About how Mario had seen history, and how he intended to create a peaceful utopia with his new empire.

After Link finished, Rusl leaned back on the stone behind him as he took in all Link had told him. Finally, he said, "That does sound like a lot to take in."

"I'm not sure what to believe anymore," Link said as his vision dropped to the ground, "how am I to say Mario's wrong?"

"Well," Rusl began as he set his sights on the sky above, "if you were to ask me, I'd say this Mario fellow was telling the truth, as he knew it."

Link remained silent upon hearing this, so Rusl continued on, "In a way, if you established only one ruler, then there'd be no need for war anymore. And if you enforce your laws strictly enough, you could well put an end to all forms of crime."

Link was about to respond, but Rusl just kept on going, "However, there will be some price to pay. For example, in order to make sure you stay leader of your empire, you must stifle out all things that might threaten your rule. This would include new ideas, new beliefs, new concepts; basically, you must establish yourself as the only source of knowledge for all the empire, and make sure no one questions it."

Link lost his voice, but Rusl's words were readily sinking into Link's heart, "Further more, if you absolutely, positively want to stop unwanted acts, you must enforce the harshest laws imaginable, such as torture and beatings for committing petty theft."

It was only then that Link finally got some words out, "Doesn't sound much like a paradise to me."

"Nope, it sure doesn't," Rusl said, noting a slight change in Link's tone, "now ask yourself this: why do we here in Hyrule have the peace we have now?"

"Well, that's obvious," Link replied sarcastically, his glumness starting to return to him, "because the great hero saved the day."

"Wrong," Rusl told him frankly. Link turned and looked at him, somewhat surprised, as Rusl continued, "I'm not talking about how you saved Hyrule; I'm talking about how you changed Hyrule."

Link wore a truly confused look on his face as he tried to comprehend Rusl's meaning. Seeing Link was unable to figure it out, Rusl began to explain it to him.

"It's like this," Rusl said, placing a hand on Link's shoulder, "During your travels, you've been practically all over Hyrule, right?"

Link nodded, so Rusl continued, "And during those travels, you've no doubt made new aquaintances, and of course, new friends, right?"

Link nodded again, still curious as to the point of all this. Finally Rusl asked, "Now, why do you think you have so many of them?"

Link was about to answer, but fell silent, because it wasn't until then that he finally understood. Rusl, seeing Link's face, asked him another question, "Was it because of your strength?"

"No," Link replied, his eyes beginning to grow brighter, "it was...because I helped them."

"Exactly," Rusl said, punctuating his words, "It wasn't your power that impressed them, but your courage and kindness; the simple fact that you were willing to stand up and fight for others when no one else could help them. And that, my friend, is the true mark of the hero."

Link slowly began to smile as Rusl continued on, "Thus, with this insight in mind, one can only assume that this peace we have is not because our leaders forced us to act peacefully, but because of a certain someone's positive influence. Am I right?"

Then, Link started doing something he'd never thought he'd ever do again: he started laughing. Laughing at himself, of course. The answer was so simple, and it was amazing to him that he didn't realize it until now.

"I can't believe how foolish I've been," Link said, now finding it hard to stop laughing.

"That's okay," Rusl said as he joined Link in his laughter, "you just needed a good kick in the head, that's all."

The two friends shared a good hardy laugh for the next five to seven minutes. Link probably had never felt this light hearted since his days back in Ordon Village. But, more importantly, he now felt more sure of his convictions than ever before. If his good nature could influence all of Hyrule to do the same as he did, perhaps all that was necessary for peace was setting a good example, one act of kindness at a time.

After enjoying the good laugh, Rusl said to Link, "Let's go. Telma's having a party at her bar tonight, and I have a feeling you could use some merriment."

"Yes, that sounds good," Link replied, "I have something to talk about with Telma, anyway."

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

darkyoshi555 on July 1, 2008, 1:20:53 PM

darkyoshi555 on
darkyoshi555hooray for Rusl!
i must read more!

aquaeevee on July 1, 2008, 9:45:10 AM

aquaeevee on
aquaeeveegreat job rusl. you woke up link from his blue funk. i want more!