Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 22 - Pacman for the Atari 2600: BLEEP! (Wait, No Waka?)

Hi guys! I am going to be doing reviews of different games!. Read along if you wish to hear about my best, worst, and stupid Adventures around the Gaming Universe. ^^ I will review games you request too! For a price!

Chapter 22 - Pacman for the Atari 2600: BLEEP! (Wait, No Waka?)

Chapter 22 - Pacman for the Atari 2600: BLEEP! (Wait, No Waka?)
If you've never played this port of Pac-Man on the Atari 2600, you're missing out on some serious video gaming history. Notice I didn't say "fun" there. It's not fun. In fact, it's a horrible game which, along with E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, contributed to the big video game crash in the early eighties.

The reason why the game is known for being one of the all-time worst ports of an arcade classic is because its release was rushed in order for it to be on store shelves in time for Christmas back in '81. If they had more time to work on it, maybe it wouldn't have been so godawful.

Among the many differences between the Atari 2600 port and the original arcade version of Pac-Man were is that not only are all four ghosts colored in pastels, but they flicker constantly on the screen. Believe me, this game was a real treat for epileptics.

If there's one good thing about this game's legacy, it's the sound effects that came from it. Sure, they're not nearly as good as the original arcade sounds, what with the extremely loud "WAKA WAKA!" sound that Pac-Man makes whenever eating a pellet, but there is a plus side to it all. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a TV show or a movie make a reference to video games and then you hear some of the sound effects from Pac-Man on the Atari 2600. The sounds from this version of Pac-Man must've been used in the world of entertainment more than any other video game.

So yeah, check it out if you've never played it or you just want to relive some classic console history. It's far from the greatest game ever made, quite the opposite in fact, and it may make you go blind if you stare at the ghosts for too long, but it is an experience. This is one Pac-Man game that I will NOT beat.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Vhee on September 14, 2010, 8:07:44 AM

Vhee on
VheeI can't ever beat Pac-Man anyway xD