Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Wulfy's past

This is the second part to my story about Terra. It continues after she left Balamb Garden in an attempt to save her friends from herself.

Chapter 4 - Wulfy's past

Chapter 4 - Wulfy's past
Chapter 4: Wulfys past

Wulfy and Hayden ran through the woodland continuing south. Everything was quiet. There were no bird calls or sounds of monsters. Hayden simply presumed they had been scared away by the missile strike. The woods were dense. With mere metres distance between trees. The canopy was thick allowing only slivers of light through. Hayden stumbled on a root and fell, but was instantly caught by Wulfy who helped him up. Hayden smiled and then began running again. It had been nearly an hour and the ground was becoming rockier as they went, hinting that they were nearing the bottom of the mountain. Now was a good time to rest. Wulfy climbed the nearest tree and sat with his legs hanging down. He looked into the distance for any sign of danger, but, after seeing none, he jumped back down again.
We rest here, he said, sitting on the floor. Hayden stayed standing.
We cant rest yet! he exclaimed. Wulfy looked up at him. Who knows where she is now!? Wulfy sighed but continued sitting.
And how exactly will you be able to find her if you can no longer walk from exhaustion and hunger? Wulfy said calmly. Hayden didnt know what to say. Wulfy did have a very good point. Reluctantly, he sat down. It felt good to be off his feet but he preferred to be on the move. They rested for an hour before setting off again, this time, walking instead of running, as the ground was now too rocky to risk running on. It steadily became steeper and steeper and the forest began to spread out, until there were no longer any trees ahead of them. Hayden stopped and looked around. They had gone a lot further than he thought, and a lot higher. In the distance, he could see Balamb Garden, hovering next to Trabia. The others would be looking for them now, ready to head off north. He should have left a note or a message or something.
Hayden and Wulfy continued on their way up the mountainside, Wulfy taking the lead. It was now incredibly steep and the air was getting thinner, making them need to stop often so they could catch their breath as they clambered over rocks and cliff edges. Hayden was glad now that Wulfy had offered to come along. He couldnt have handled it on his own. Eventually, the pair reached a steep cliff. Wulfy sprang up, jumping from rock to rock with complete ease as Hayden looked on. The cliff must have been at least six metres high and he couldnt see any obvious way of him getting up there. Wulfy looked down as he realised that Hayden was struggling. He reached into his bag and pulled out a rope, which he tied to a rock at his end and lowered the rest down. Hayden grabbed hold of it and pulled it to check it was secure then began climbing up, holding tight to the rope and walking on the side of the cliff. The rocks were damp and slippery and Hayden had almost reached the top when he lost his footing. He held on tight to the rope, swinging in mid-air. Wulfy grabbed the rope and began to pull Hayden up slowly, walking backwards and digging his feet into the rocky earth. As Hayden reached the top, Wulfy grabbed his hand and pulled him over. They both sat out of breath and lacking oxygen.
How much farther? Hayden asked between gasps. Wulfy looked around. The mist was very thick around them.
I cant tell. He replied. The mist is too thick. We should rest until it has cleared. Hayden nodded and fell flat on his back looking up at the sky. They had been travelling for almost a day now and the night was setting in fast. Wulfy looked around for some kindling for a fire, returning with an armful of dry plants and twigs. Hayden sat up and began to light the fire then together, they sat under the stars, eating rations and watching the flames flicker.
As the night drew on, the pair slept, each taking turns to watch for danger. The mist was till strong as the night became colder, making it very difficult to see anything. Hayden sat playing with his claw arm, leaning against a large rock. He had been on watch for nearly two hours now. Only three more hours to go he thought to himself as his claw arm flickered with electricity and then off again. The night was so quiet and nothing had come close to where the two were camping. The fire continued to flicker on, illuminating the rock face and Wulfy, who was curled up in a corner, snoring loudly. If anything, that was what was keeping Hayden awake. He looked over at Wulfy and chuckled to himself before turning back to watch around them. Suddenly, something caught his eye. Through the mist, he swore he could make out a dark figure, silhouetted amongst the trees. He looked closer, squinting his eyes in an attempt to see through the mist. The figure was drawing nearer and to Haydens surprise, it was human shaped.
Hello!? Hayden called out in its direction. The figure stopped. Are you ok? he asked, wondering whether it was hurt as it seemed to be walking with an exaggerated limp, but it said nothing. Hayden picked himself up off the floor and began slowly walking towards the figure. It still didnt make any sound. Hayden looked around at Wulfy who had stirred slightly, then turned back to look at the figure. It was gone. Hayden was surprised. Had he imagined it? No. he was certain he saw something. He continued to watch the spot where he had seen it until he felt something grab his neck from behind. The grip was getting tighter as though it was trying to choke him. He put his hands up to his throat as it began lifting him off the ground and grabbed what was around it. It felt fleshy and unnatural. Hayden continued to struggle, calling out as best he could, but it wouldnt let go.
Suddenly, the grip loosened and Hayden fell to the floor gasping for air. He turned around to see Wulfy hanging on the back of the most hideous creature he had ever seen. It had a human form but its limbs were disproportioned and deformed, some large, others small. Its skin was all bulging and lumpy and covered in veins and its face looked dead and empty. Wulfy was flailing around everywhere as the monster tried endlessly to throw him off. He tried many timed to reach for his sword but every time he tried, the monster flung him in a different direction and he had to grab hold again. Hayden caught his breath and stood up, charging his claw arm. He took his chance and dove at the monster, making contact with its stomach. It yowled but appeared undamaged. Hayden jumped back as it swung for him then dove in again, this time at its head and once again it shook off the attack.
What is this thing!? Hayden shouted at Wulfy who was still keeping the beast occupied.
Geosageno! Wulfy cried back, wavering his speech due to the thrashing movements of the monster. Its another Parody experiment! Zombie! Hayden only heard the words Parody and Zombie but that was enough. He ran to his pack, avoiding another onslaught from the monsters flailing arms. Diving deep, he pulled out a red feather and threw it at Wulfy. Wulfy caught it and presses it onto the Geosagenos back. It yowled in immense pain as the feather worked on it. Its skin bubbled green and began to melt off and the monster sank into a steaming, green puddle. Wulfy collapsed on the ground, exhausted from having to hold on so long. Hayden walked over to Wulfy.
Phoenix down. Wulfy smirked. Why didnt I think of that sooner? Hayden laughed but he was still curious.
Where did it come from? he asked. Wulfy hesitated slightly then, after he caught his breath, he spoke.
It was one of the other many experiments, courtesy of Parody. He said, pushing himself up off the floor. They used pieces of dead and dying flesh to create zombie creatures. However, some escaped it seems and this particular one& Wulfy pointed to the green sludge, has been following me all around the Esthar continent. I managed to get away from it when I crossed overseas.
You mean, Parody is in Esthar? Hayden asked. Wulfy nodded. But I thought they were Galbadian.
They are. Wulfy replied. But they were found by the government and made to disband. However, they took all their research, including myself, to Esthar. Hayden didnt know what to say.
What would you do if you found them? he asked. Wulfy looked up into the sky. Dawn was approaching.
I dont know. He said. Lets just hope we dont.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment