Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Gwen and Her Twilight Saga

A strange man from the year 2010 has arrived in Camelot, selling strange and wonderful things, like cell phones, computers, televisions...and books about sparkling vampires? Inspired by Merlin Children in Need 2009. Crack!fic

Chapter 6 - Gwen and Her Twilight Saga

Chapter 6 - Gwen and Her Twilight Saga
Gwen was the fourth to succumb to Rosco and his futuristic merchandise.

Since Gwen was a servant and didn't have enough money to buy any of the more expensive electronics, and since she enjoyed a good read whenever she had the chance, she decided that the four books displayed on Rosco's stand would be the perfect items to invest in. The books were fabulous. She hadn't known what to expect, but she certainly hadn't entertained the idea of it being a teenage romance vampire novel.

Morgana had been keeping to herself more than usual lately but Gwen found that she did not mind having extra time when she had a riveting book series to peruse when she wasn't working. She had highly recommended the books to Morgana, who had smiled and told her that she would read them whenever Gwen was done.

By the end of the first book, Twilight, Gwen was a full-fledged member of Team Edward. Edward Cullen… what wasn't to like? He was a vampire but he defied his evil nature and refused to kill humans. He was madly in love with Bella Swan but her scent was so delicious that he could hardly refrain from biting her. Bella was in love with Edward and would do anything for him, and vice versa.

Edward saved Bella from some men who wanted to harm her, Bella showed Edward that love isn't something to fear. Their romance was so beautiful, so forbidden, and so tear-jerking that Gwen found herself envying Bella and comparing the man in her life to the vampire that sparkled like a thousand sons.

o.O

Merlin had slipped out of the physician's quarters without Gaius seeing him – he was wrapped up in Doctor Who again, with plans to tune into some sort of reality show called Big Brother afterwards – and was on his way to wake up Arthur when he heard a soft sob coming from a corridor he had just passed. He recognized that cry – Gwen!

Wondering what could have happened to cause his friend to be so distraught, he spun around and darted into the corridor, his eyes roving for any sort of potential danger. Instead, he saw Gwen sitting on the floor, leaned up against the cold stone wall of the castle, a thick black book labeled New Moon clutched in her shaking hands. Tears were streaming down her face.

"Gwen?" Merlin asked hesitantly, walking over and easing himself down the wall to sit beside her. "Are you okay?"

"No," Gwen sobbed, her shoulders shaking. "I can't believe he did that!" She turned to Merlin and he was taken aback by the agony and hurt in her dark eyes. "How could he do that?" she wailed.

Merlin felt his heart go out to his friend. What had Arthur done now? "Gwen," he began seriously, "what happened between you and Arthur?"

Gwen blinked as if waking up from some sort of trance. "What do you mean?" she asked a spark of worry in her eyes. "What has he said?"

Merlin shook his head, confused. "Nothing. But…who are you talking about, Gwen? Is there another man?"

Gwen laughed nervously. "What, have you been talking to Lancelot? Because he's lying I tell you! And… er… so is Gwaine. And Leon, for the record."

Merlin cleared his throat. "Yes, well," he said awkwardly.

"I'm talking about Edward," Gwen mourned, staring sadly at the book she was reading.

Merlin took another good look at the book and made the connection. Gwen had been taken in as well. "Not you, too, Gwen," he moaned.

But Gwen wasn't listening. "How could he?" she spat. "He loves Bella more than his own life – if only a man could love me that much!" Merlin didn't bother to point out that Arthur had risked his life many times for Gwen's. "He just gave her the most wonderful birthday party, and all because of some big misunderstanding – I mean, so what if she almost got devoured by an entire family of bloodthirsty vampires? – he takes her to the middle of the forest and tells her that they can never see each other again because he's too dangerous for her! But he'll die without her, I know he will! He's going to devastate Bella, she's all he cares about, she never does anything without his agreement and she lives to touch his face!"

Merlin wondered what kind of 'helpless female' message these books were sending to its readers. He would have thought that by the twenty-first century, girls would have gained at least some rights and liberty, but the way Gwen was going on, women's lives weren't too different then than they were now. "Eh, so this girl cares more about a man who would drink her blood as soon as look at her than her family?"

Gwen nodded. "Yes, it's so romantic, isn't it?"

Merlin grimaced. "Not really, it's just kind of sad."

Gwen gasped. "I know, it is, isn't it? It's the most tragic love story…"

Merlin shook his head. "No, as in pathetic. Listen, Gwen, I know you're upset about what this Edmund –"

"—Edward," Gwen corrected.

"—Edward guy did, but it's just a book."

Fresh tears rolled down Gwen's cheeks. "And I thought you were someone I could confide in, Merlin," she cried, getting up and running away, her dress's him trailing along behind her.

Merlin sighed wearily and rubbed his temples.

Was the madness ever going to end?

o.O

Arthur was training the next morning with the knights, his iPhone not too far away just in case someone needed to get a hold of him. Lucky thing he did because in the middle of one of his spars, he heard "You're the Voice," bellowing out from his phone and completely abandoning the fight, nearly getting his head lopped off in the process, he yelled, "Merlin! Phone! It's a text!"

Merlin obediently brought Arthur his phone but he looked both irritated and distracted. Arthur made a point to ask Merlin about what was wrong later, although when later actually came, he wouldn't remember to ask. But it was the thought that counted, right?

He flipped open his phone and read the text, which was from Lancelot.

Arthur – its Gwen, Lance let me use his phone. We need 2 tlk. Plz meet me at ur chambers asap.

Arthur was mildly concerned at her choice of words… "We need to talk…" That didn't sound too good. He alerted the knights that they were to take a break, barked an order at Merlin, and hurried to his chambers. True to her word, Gwen was waiting for him outside of his door, black book entitled Breaking Dawn in her hands.

"Arthur," she greeted him, her eyes serious.

Arthur shifted on his feet and motioned for her to precede him into the room. "Guinevere," he acknowledged the girl he loved. "What brings you here?" His phone vibrated and he ignored the urge to check it. There would be time for that later. It went off again. He forced himself to ignore it. It was extremely difficult to do so.

Gwen smiled sadly at Arthur. "Arthur… I don't know if it's going to work out between us anymore."

Arthur felt his heart plummet and as his phone let out a persistent text alert he didn't even notice (okay, so maybe a little), he was so taken aback. "What do you mean? Why?"

"You're just not… dangerous enough," Gwen informed him.

Arthur stared. "Dangerous? You want me to be dangerous? Gwen, I've fought griffons and skeletons and knights and armies and every sorcerer in the world wants to kill me – how exactly am I not dangerous?"

She bit her lip and gazed into his eyes. "You don't want to kill me, do you?"

Arthur blanched at the thought. "No. Of course not. No."

"I'm not your own personal brand of heroin, am I?"

Arthur frowned. "What's heroin?"

"It doesn't matter. It's not dangerous for us to be together. You're not a lion, but I'm a lamb."

Arthur was thoroughly confused. "I am strong like a lion."

"But you are more of a… cougar," Gwen smiled. "You're fierce but you don't have that dangerous edge for me to be around. My scent doesn't make you want to kill me. It's just not… forbidden enough."

"You want forbidden? If my father found out about us, he'd have you killed!"

Gwen nodded. "Mmm." A pause. "Maybe we can make this work. Would you sparkle?"

Arthur coughed, startled. "Excuse me?"

"Edward Cullen sparkles in the sunlight," she informed her prince, stars in her eyes.

Arthur snorted. "What kind of man sparkles?"

"A vampire… a real man." Gwen squeezed his hand. "I'll have to think about this, Arthur. But it may be that we cannot be together until you have glitter skin."

"Glitter skin?" His voice was weak and scared.

"I have some sparkles we can dust you in if you change your mind. Until then, I'll be at my home, finding out how Bella will react to Jacob imprinting on Renesmee. My lord," she curtsied and walked away.

"Glitter. Skin?" Arthur muttered again wearily. His phone buzzed again. He picked it up and ignored his texts, instead creating a new one addressed to Gwaine.

"One heck of a day. Goin 2 tavern. U in?"

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment