Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 22 - Merlin and His Secret Infatuation

A strange man from the year 2010 has arrived in Camelot, selling strange and wonderful things, like cell phones, computers, televisions...and books about sparkling vampires? Inspired by Merlin Children in Need 2009. Crack!fic

Chapter 22 - Merlin and His Secret Infatuation

Chapter 22 - Merlin and His Secret Infatuation
Several weeks passed and finally Camelot was back to normal – or as normal as Camelot could get, that is. After the Nerf battle between Camelot and Cenred's army, the two armies had parted ways the best of friends. Sure, they would probably fight against each other in future battles and try and kill one another with real weapons someday, but they would never forget the time they spent duking it out with plastic dart guns and foam swords. It had been a moment of revelation for all fighters involved – that maybe they weren't all that different after all. Perhaps, deep down, we are all just big kids at heart. This was at least one positive result that came out of Rosco's intrusion in the past – a feeling of unity that can only be achieved by Nerf guns.

Now, weeks later, Uther had successfully gathered all of the future material – most of which had stopped working when Rosco left although there were a few books (Twilight, for example) that hadn't been affected by lack of power source – and the whole of Camelot had had a great bonfire in the courtyard, this time not burning sorcerers but future equipment. Uther made a declaration that anyone that was found with anything from the future in their possession would be arrested and then punished severely – maybe even thrown into the bonfire with the Wiis and TVs and cell phones and teenage romance vampire novels.

It was a sad day for all of Camelot. They had become so used to the "instant gratification" that their future stuff had given them that many had to learn and function without it on their own. Sometimes it took a great toll on the mental state of some of the citizens as they suffered from withdrawals.

Gwen, for example, had spent days locked up in her room, crying about the loss of Edward, until Merlin came to visit and reminded her of her old love – her real love – that would never leave her because he was afraid he'd suck her blood and that didn't think she smelled like his favorite snack. Just because he didn't sparkle didn't mean that Arthur wasn't a good man and eventually Gwen caught on, remembering all the good times she and the prince had had together. They were reunited and Arthur hadn't looked so pleased in a long time.

Morgana, on the other hand, was absolutely furious that her evil plan had failed – but even more so that she couldn't tend to her Farmville crops anymore. When the computers had shut down she had all but thrown a tantrum, claiming that she couldn't wait a thousand years for computers to be invented before she harvested her cabbage fields. No one bothered to remind her that she wouldn't have to wait a thousand years because she'd be dead before then, anyway.

Gwaine and Lancelot were official knights of Camelot and the bliss of finally having been accepted into Camelot's most elite was almost enough to ease their sorrow at not being able to play Guitar Hero anymore. Almost. Sometimes, though, one could hear two out-of-tune voices singing "Rock and Roll All Night" from the training grounds as the two knights reminisced about the old days of rocking and rolling and hair-flipping and jamming to the music.

The Great Dragon destroyed his riddle book. He didn't mean to, actually, and would have kept it forever, no matter what Uther said (because since when did he listen to the man that had betrayed him and locked him under the castle for years on end?), but after reading a particularly hilarious riddle (Why do sea gulls fly over the sea? Because if they flew over the bay, they'd be bagels!), he laughed so hard that fire spewed out of his nose and he incinerated his book. He was very sad, but he eventually got over it and began talking cryptically and not answering questions clearly once more.

Sometimes Gaius and Gwaine would go outside and lie on blankets in the grass and stare up at the sky, hoping, dreaming, that they would see a blue police box flying somewhere in the distance. They knew that the Doctor was real and maybe one day, he would come to visit.

They're still waiting.

Despite the withdrawals, setbacks, crying, and emotional turmoil, the kingdom gradually went back to normal. Gwen and Arthur were secretly in love again and she only asked him to sparkle once (or maybe twice). Uther was back to being a magic-hating tyrant with an iron fist. Gaius actually took care of people again and Arthur stopped doing the moonwalk around the training field.

Merlin watched all this with happiness, glad that he no longer had to worry about the negative effects Rosco's future technology would wreak on Camelot. He had the evening off and was glad of it – now that Arthur was back to normal, he was giving Merlin twice the chores, almost as if making up for all the missed opportunities to boss him around while he'd been singing karaoke. Thankfully, he'd seen how tired Merlin looked and had decided to give him the afternoon off today – and Merlin knew exactly what he was going to do with it.

He entered the physician's chambers, glancing around to see that Gaius was gone – probably on his evening rounds – and grinned, knowing he'd be alone for a while. He hurried up the small set of stairs and into his room, closing the door behind him. Glancing around furtively, just in case, he dropped to his knees and pried up the loose floorboard under his bed and pulled out one of the seven books that he had collected secretively during Rosco's reign of technology. He was almost done with it, just a few more pages, and then there was something he wanted to try…

He flopped onto his bed and opened the book, knowing that he would be killed if he was caught with it – not only was it future contraband, but it was also a book of magic. He just couldn't resist though. These volumes were just so… GOOD!

He opened the book and started to read. He laughed, cried, and cursed the author for killing all of the characters he had grown to know and love. And then he finished, shutting the book and letting out a satisfied smile. "That was better than I had anticipated," he said to no one in particular.

He flipped through the book again, this time looking for something that he was dying to try. When he found the right page he read over the narration of how it was done and then grinned, closed his eyes, spun on his heel, and thought about where he wanted to be right now. With a loud "pop!" he disapparated, the seventh and final Harry Potter book dropping to the floor at his feet.

After feeling like he was being squished in the time-space continuum until he couldn't breathe for a few seconds, he popped back into existence right where he had planned to go. Grinning, he readjusted his seat on the barstool and glanced over at the man seated next to him.

"Oh hey, Merlin," Gwaine said happily, with a drunken slur. "Did you just apperate?"

Merlin grinned, delighted that he had found another Harry Potter fan, and laughed, Gwaine joining in with him. "Why yes," he said cheerily. "Yes I did."

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment