Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - Someone Close to You

[WIP] They had what no force on Earth could divide. Be it up or down, right or wrong, they counted on a childhood vow to see them through. But now time has taken its toll and nothing can ever be the same. [Spud/Trixie – Jake/Trixie – Jake/Rose]

Chapter 9 - Someone Close to You

Chapter 9 - Someone Close to You
Chapter Nine: Someone Close To You


It was seven in the morning as Trixie looked at herself within her bedroom mirror. She had unbutton the bottom buttons of her pajama shirt to examine her slightly protruding stomach. She sighed as she ran a hand across it. Spud had been gone for three months, but she thought about him everyday and hoped wherever he was that he was safe and that he was able to return soon.

With that thought, Trixie prepared for the day. School was over and she was grateful to finally had graduated, but today was still a school day in her mind. New Utretch, her high school, had a tradition of all the seniors getting together the day after graduation to have breakfast at the school. The meal was included in her senior dues so she decided to go.

Trixie fussed as she struggled with a pair of jeans, that she just couldn't seem to get pass her thighs. She finally gave up and abandon the jeans on the floor before she went to the closet to find another fair. “You've got to be kidding me,” she said to herself, as she had gotten the jeans up, but couldn't get them fastened. She laid back on her bed, exhausted after struggling for another minute or so. “I need to buy new clothes,” she whined, not too fond of having to go shopping.

After another ten minutes, Trixie made her way to the kitchen to find her mother on the house phone. “Of course, dear,” she spoke to the person on the other end. “Trixie and I have missed you too.” Trixie raised an eyebrow as she noticed the worried expression on her mother's face as she fixed herself something to drink. “I'll see you then.” Mrs. Carter then hung up the phone up before looking to Trixie.

“How's dad?” she asked before taking a sip of her water.

“He's coming home,” she announced, causing Trixie to spit out her drink.

Trixie's hand came to her mouth for a moment. “When?” she asked.

Telling her mother she was pregnant had been one thing, the two of them had finally stopped fighting when Mrs. Carter realized she wasn't going to win and that Trixie was going to keep her baby. Telling her father though, would be a completely different story. He had been on tour in Europe for seven months, and telling him over the phone just didn't seem right, that and Trixie just didn't want to, because her mother, compared to her father, was nothing more than a teddy bear.

“In a few days, he hasn't confirmed the time yet,” Mrs. Cater informed her.

“Okay,” Trixie shook her head, as she slowly sat down. “Okay,” she repeated staring down at nothing in particular.

Mrs. Carter sighed as she approached her daughter. “Do you want me to tell him for you?”

“No,” she replied. “That's something I should do. . . with Jake.”

“Whatever you think is best,” Mrs. Carter told her as she reached over and straightened out Trixie's hair. She then looked to the clock on the wall. “You should get going or you're going to be late. I found your keys. I hung them on the wall.”

Trixie only nodded before she got up and cleaned the water she had spilled. She then headed towards the front of the house and picked up her keys on the way out. It had taken her a total of five time, but Trixie finally passed her drivers test and so was able to drive the car her father had bought her when she turned sixteen.

As she drove to school, Trixie wondered what her father's reaction would be when she and Jake told him the news. She already knew he was going to be very disappointed in her and she hated that. She never wanted to be anything less than that perfect daughter in his eyes, but truth be told, she didn't know her father that well. Being in the military, he had the option of traveling by himself or traveling with his family. He chose to travel by himself, because he didn't want to uproot his family every few years.

Instead he would be away for months on end, home for a little while and then gone again. Even when he was home, there really wasn't much time, to spend together as it always seemed he was getting ready for his next trip. It was almost like he a was stranger, who just stop by from time to time. But she loved him or at least the idea of him.

Trixie soon made it to school and made her way to the fifth floor where the cafeteria was located. She was looking around for a familiar face when she surprisingly saw Jake, sitting at their normal table. “Hi,” she greeted him as she sat down. “Thought you weren't coming.”

“Didn't come for the food. Came for the peace,” he explained not looking up from his task as he held a book in one hand and a pencil in the other as he wrote something down.

“What are you doing? You do know school is over with, right?” she questioned.

“It's a Leprechaun depute that they want me to resolve. I have two days to learn all their laws, so I can make a fair decision,” he told her. “I couldn't do it at home. My dad and Haley were driving me up the wall.”

“I wish you luck with the dispute. I know you'll make the right choice,” she encouraged him.

“Thanks,” he said as he erased something and rewrote it.

Trixie licked her lips before she leaned into Jake. “There's something I have to tell you,” she whispered and Jake nodded, indicating he was listening. “My father's coming home.”

Jake's pencil suddenly stopped before he slowly lifted his head and looked upon Trixie for the first time that day. “When?” he whispered back.

Trixie shook her head. “Probably within the week,” she told him. “Jake, I need you to be there with me,” she asked of him.

“Of course.” Jake laid his book on the table and turned towards Trixie. He took both of her hands. “So, how are you and the baby?”

Trixie smiled and though she would never admit it, she liked when she had Jake's full attention. “Fine. In fact, I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday at four. I'm getting an ultrasound to make sure we're on the right track,” she said. “I can come and pick you up if you want or we can meet there-”

“Trix,” Jake straightened up a bit as he shook his head. “I wish you had said something sooner, because Thursday afternoon is no good for me.”

“Why?” She looked curious.

“Uh. . . work,” he provided.

Trixie's brow furrowed. “I know your work schedule, Jake,” she informed him. “You don't work Thursdays. That's why I made the appointment for Thursday.” She then felt a bit stupid as she let her shoulders drop. “Oh, you were talking about your Am Drag thing, weren't you?”

“Actually, no. It's something else.”

Trixie looked asking of him. “Well?”

Jake said nothing at first as he gradually slipped his hands out of her. He then turned back to the table. “Look, I really need to get this done, okay?” he tried changing the subject.

“Aww, don't tell me you're embarrassed about it.” She smiled. “It can't be worst than your secretary job.”

“I'm not a secretary,” Jake told her. “I'm a data entry clerk. There's a difference.”

Trixie cocked an eyebrow. “Do you answers phones? Do you put files away?” Jake nodded. “Then guess what, boy? You're a secretary.”

Jake frowned as he was teased. “It's a good job, Trixie, and I was lucky to get it considering they were looking for someone with experience.” Jake then shrugged. “Besides, I like working at the dentist office.”

“I know,” she replied softly as she looked at Jake's determine face as he studied Leprechaun law. “It's just. . . I'm feeling very guilty, Jake.”

Jake's frown deepen as he once again looked at Trixie. “Guilty? About what?”

“You,” she told him. “You just seem so stressed lately and I know it's because of me. I mean, we've just graduated from high school, but somehow it doesn't mean anything. This should be the greatest moment in our lives. We should be hitting the clubs and just livin' it up before college. . . the three of us,” she explained. “Instead, Spud is gone, I'm pregnant, our families are fighting to no end, and we're both working like chickens with our heads cut off.” She sighed. “Things just aren't how I pictured them.”

Jake lowered his head for a moment. “You know what?” he began. “What I had planned for Thursday isn't important-” Trixie went to interrupt him, but he didn't allow her to. “I didn't want to do it anyway,” he confessed. “So I'll meet you at the doctor's office before your appointment, okay?”

Trixie nodded before she felt a hand on her shoulder. It was her friend, Belinda, asking her to come sit with her and some of her friends. Trixie, seeing that Jake was once deep into his book, took Belinda up on her offer.

OoOoO


“Where is he?” Trixie thought out loud as she stood in the lobby of the hospital, trying not be caught again by the that mean looking nurse who told her she couldn't use you cell phone within the building.

Trixie had arrive fifteen minutes before your scheduled appointment to check in. She was surprised that she didn't have to wait for long as her name was soon called by her doctor. She asked if she could have a few more minutes because she was waiting for someone. That had been ten minutes ago. The doctor would be back any moment and Trixie knew she wouldn't be able to delay her anymore.

“Pick up, dammit,” she whispered, as she sat down impatiently, this must have been the eighth call to Jake's cell, but all she was received was a voice mail telling her to leave a message. Finally giving up, Trixie turned off her phone and rested her hands in her lap as she looked down at it.

“Trishale Carter?” Trixie couldn't explain why, but she shuttered when she heard her name called before looking up at the doctor. The doctor gave her a warm smile. “Are you ready?” she asked politely.

“Yeah,” Trixie replied softly as she stood and then followed the doctor down the hall.

Suddenly she heard her name being called from behind her and turned to see Jake making his way down the hall. A huge smile came to her face. “Sorry. Excuse,” Jake said as he ran into a few people making his way to her. “I know I'm late. I'm sorry,” he apologized.

Trixie's smile faded as she saw the scar across Jake's neck. “What happened here?” she asked as her fingers gently went to examine the wound, but Jake caught her hand before she could.

He looked at the doctor who was patiently waiting for them and then back at Trixie. “We'll talk later,” he told her, before a worried expression filtered on to his face. “Let's make sure the baby is alright, okay?”

Trixie nodded before once again following the doctor. They were led to a small room and within moments, Trixie was laying back with her stomach exposed to the doctor. She giggled as the conductive jelly was smeared over her stomach. “It's cold,” she told Jake, who gave her a smile that for some reason didn't reach his eyes. Trixie ignored it.

“I assume this is your first child?” the doctor asked as she placed the transducer on Trixie's skin.

“Yes, ma'am,” Trixie answered as an image slowly began to appear on the sonogram beside them.

“How old are you?” she asked.

“I'll be eighteen next month,” she replied.

The doctor nodded as she studied the image on the screen. “About 15 to 16 weeks, yes?” After telling her she was correct, a small frown came to the doctor's face.

“Is something wrong?” Jake couldn't help but ask.

“Well, for the time frame, your baby seems a bit small.” The doctor than turned to Trixie. “Are you aware that during pregnancy you should be gaining anywhere from 25 to 35 pounds?” she asked.

“I know and I have been,” Trixie told her. “You can ask my jeans at home, trust.”

“Then have you been under a lot of stress?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Trixie admitted sadly. “A lot actually.”

“Is it your job? If it is-”

“It's not,” Trixie cut her off. “I work as a receptionist at a hotel. The people are very nice there.”

“Then is it school or home?” Trixie lowered her eyes as home was mentioned. The doctor sighed. “Stress can play a major factor when it comes to your child's health,” she informed them. “If you can't find a way to reduce that stress, even if you go into labor at full term, your baby is at risk at being born underweight, which can lead to a lot of problems. And with being a teenager and African-American, you are already in a higher bracket of having a premature baby.”

“Great,” Trixie said sarcastically to herself.

“All I can tell you for right now is to stay healthy, continue gaining wight, and reduce your stress as best as you can,” the doctor advised them.

Jake took Trixie's hand as she seemed to be in her own little world. “I'll make sure she does that,” Jake replied. “So other than that is the baby okay?” he asked.

The doctor nodded “Yes, ten fingers and ten toes.” The doctor then smiled. “Now ask your real question,” she told him.

“Is it a boy or a girl?” he asked.

With the transducer still on Trixie's stomach the doctor turned back to the sonogram. “At 16 weeks it maybe a bit too early to- Oh, no, wait. Here we are.” She reached out and placed her finger on the screen. “If you look right here, you can just make out the genitals.” She then turned back to Jake. “Congratulations, it's a boy. If you want I can take a picture for you.”

“Thank you,” Jake said with a nodded.

Ten minutes later, Jake was driving Trixie's car as she stared out the window. “Trix, you okay over there?” Jake asked. She hadn't said anything since the doctor told her she could be at risk for a premature birth.

“Just a little worried,” she told him.

“Well, I'm not. Not anymore,” Jake confessed. “Everything is going to be fine.”

Trixie than turned to him, once again spotting the wound on his neck. “So how did you get hurt?” she asked, which immediately had an effect on the happy expression on Jake's face.

“I was caught off guard, on my way to the hospital, by a Banshee,” he told her.

“What's a Banshee?” she asked.

“A fairy that predicts-” Jake paused before starting again. “A fairy with a hell of voice,” he told her. “After she left, I was very disoriented and couldn't hear for five minute.”

“You should have had your ears checked by a doctor while we were there,” Trixie suggested, but Jake only shook his head. “So what does a Banshee look like?” was her next question.

Jake's face scrunched up. “I don't know,” he replied. “All I really remember was that voice and long silver hair.”

“Hair, Jake?” Trixie looked at him curiously. Jake only shrugged.

Jake soon parked Trixie's car in her garage and the two of them got out. “You should hurry home. It looks like rain,” Trixie announced as she looked up at the sky.

“Yeah, alright. I'll catch you later,” he told her as he passed her, her keys. Trixie then watched as he went into his dragon form and took to the skies.

She yawned, suddenly feeling very tired as she made her way into her home, but before she could find sleep, something tugged at her and so she went to her computer and searched the word Banshee.

Her breath became stuck in her throat as a sentence struck a cord within her. “Seeing a Banshee serves as a omen to your own death,” she read horrified, thankful that Jake didn't get a good look at the fairy. She honestly didn't know what she would do without him. But it was the next sentence that made Trixie's blood run cold, causing her to place her hand on her stomach as she read on. “Hearing a Banshee's cry, predicts the death of a family member or. . . someone close to you.”

To Be Continued. . .

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment