Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 10 - Count Me In

[WIP] They had what no force on Earth could divide. Be it up or down, right or wrong, they counted on a childhood vow to see them through. But now time has taken its toll and nothing can ever be the same. [Spud/Trixie – Jake/Trixie – Jake/Rose]

Chapter 10 - Count Me In

Chapter 10 - Count Me In
Chapter Ten: Count Me In


It was a little before eight as Trixie arrived home from work. She had walked through just in time as the rain began to fall as it had been raining off and on the entire week. She greeted her mother who looked to be on the way out. She then told Trixie, as she picked up an umbrella out of the closest, that she was going to go pick up her father from LaGuardia. A sense of dread came over Trixie at the news as she closed the door behind her mother.

She knew depending on the rain and the traffic, that she had at least two hours before they would be back. She then headed to the den with the house phone in hand as she sat down and turned on the television. She checked the time, knowing that Jake got off at six, but usually was only home enough to get Haley so that they could fly around the city on patrol. So she tried his cell, but because of the bad weather couldn't get through.

Trixie figured she would try again later. In the mean time, she thought she would keep herself busy by doing some light cleaning around the house and tended to her grandmother, hoping it would help calm her nerves. It help for awhile until she once again noticed the time and saw how quickly it seem to be going. “I swear time is on crack,” she said to herself before once again trying to reach Jake and as it went unanswered, panic slowly started to invade her.

Trixie didn't know what she would do, if she couldn't reach him in time and telling her father the news alone, frightened her to the core, but as she heard the front door open and then the voice's of her parents she realized this was something she was going to have to face alone. “Trishale, I'm home,” Trixie heard her father calling for her.

She looked at the phone one last time before placing it on the coffee table and standing up. “Coming,” she replied before existing the den.

OoOoO


Jake placed his hands on the blue tiles within his shower before tilting his head up and he allowing the warm water to hit his face as he breathed through his nose. It had been a long day and he wanted nothing more fall into a nice deep sleep.

After work, Jake arrived home to find Haley on the piano. He had asked her if she was up to learning about Leprechaun law and how their trail system worked as he was finally prepared to give the disputing Leprechaun family a verdict after four days of testimony. It had been a grueling ordeal, but it was something he wanted to expose her too and know about first hand.

Near the end of everything is when the rain began to poor down, but it had lasted long on their side of town. Jake and Haley then took to the skies as the split up and made their nightly route. There was a small incident with a troll and an ogre over a bridge or under it to be more precise, but other than that it had been a slow night.

Jake soon stepped out of the bathroom with a towel around his waist and one on his head as he tried to dry his hair. As he walked down the hall to his room he heard the doorbell ring. “Haley,” he called nothing she was in her room when he saw her bedroom door closed. “Haley!” he cried louder when he didn't receive a reply. He then sighed in irritation as he walked over to her door in knocked. When she didn't answer he slowly turned the knob and stuck his head in.

He stifle back his laughter as he saw Haley with a huge pair of wireless headphones over her ear as she dance like a mad woman within her room. Jake had to cover his hand over his mouth as he realized that his little sister had absolutely no rhythm. He was then reminded why he was there when he heard the doorbell ring again. He stepped into Haley's room as he took the towel from his head and swung it onto his shoulder. He then reached out and took a hold of Haley's headphones before yanking them off. “Yo, genius.”

Haley jumped in surprised as it appeared Jake popped out of nowhere. “It's not polite to snick up on people,” she said angrily.

“Yeah, whatever,” he began as he tossed the headphones on the bed. “Someone's at the door. Go answer it while I get dressed,” he told her before turning around to exit the room.

Haley placed her hand no her hip. “What am I?” she asked. “Your maid?” Jake didn't even bother to answer her before he opened and closed his own bedroom door. Haley shook her head as she left her room and head to the front door. “Who does he think he is?” she asked herself. “Thinking he can boss me around. . .” she continued with her rant about her older brother until she opened the door to find Trixie standing on the other side of it. “Oh my goodness,” she whispered to herself.

Trixie stood before her with her head down. She was soaking wet from the rain and blood stained her jeans right below the knees. “Is Jake home?” she asked, her voice soft, but flat.

“Yeah.” Haley shook her head as she pulled Trixie in out of the rain. Haley then turned her head in the direction of the stairs. “Jake!” she yelled as she guide her into the living room. “I'll go get you a towel,” she told Trixie before head towards the bathroom inside of the guest bathroom. “Jake!” she yelled again as she handed the towel to Trixie to dry off.

Meanwhile, Jake was upstairs wondering what his sister was having a fit about. “What?” he yelled as he pulled a t-shirt over his head for the night. He then smiled as he looked to his mirror, not at himself, but at his copy of the sonogram picture he had gotten at the hospital. He had it tucked in the frame of his mirror and as he looked at it, he couldn't help but wonder what they would name him.

Jake had been worried for a little while after his run in with the Banshee. He had had some type of vision when he heard the Banshee's cry reach his ears. He had seen the death of a little girl and though he didn't know her name nor could he see her face in this vision, he felt the pain of her lost. It had shook him up deeply as he wondered if this little girl would be the one he would raise as his own, but as the doctor told them Trixie was having a boy, he quickly dismissed the thought, thinking maybe the Banshee's cry wasn't meant for his ears after all. Jake didn't know if that was a good or bad thing, for all he knew for sure was that he saw the death of someone's little girl.

“Just get down here!” he heard Haley answer him.

A moment later, Jake was making his way downstairs. “Alright, Haley, what's the big emerge-” he cut himself off as he saw Trixie on the couch with a towel over her shoulders. “What's going on?” he asked curiously as he regarded his sister who was walking towards him and then the back of Trixie's head as she had not moved from the couch.

“I don't know,” Haley told him. “But I think she's upset. She really hasn't said anything to me.”

Jake nodded before walking over to Trixie. He sat down beside her. “Baby girl?” he asked softly and slightly gasped as she turned to him and he saw the dark bruise on her cheek. “Who did this?” he asked as he touched the mark on her face.

Trixie's expression was blank as she spoke in a monotone voice. “No one,” she replied. “I fell.” Jake's brow furrowed as he couldn't remember the last time he just knew she was lying to him. “I tried to call you earlier,” she said after a moment. “But you didn't pick up.”

“We were on Leprechaun land. Calls usually don't get through,” he informed her.

“My father came home today,” she announced with her head down.

Jake shook his head as he looked at her in disbelief. “Please don't tell him you told him by yourself.”

“I wasn't planning on to,” she began. “Not without you. I didn't want do it alone, but my mother accidentally let it slip.”

“Accidentally?” Jake found that hard to believe.

“He was so angry, Jake.” Trixie hugged herself tightly. “I knew he was going to be upset, but I never thought-” she paused. “We argued. He wanted me to give the baby up. He told me I didn't know what I doing and that he wouldn't allow me to embarrass him. I told him I knew what I doing and that I was going to raise my own child and that I didn't care how that embarrassed him.” Tears slipped down her eyes.

“Trixie,” Jake whispered.

“He said he wouldn't be disrespected in his own home.” Trixie then quickly snapped her head up, her eyes angry. “I told him he was never around long enough for it to be considered his home!” Her eyes then soften as she touched her own bruise.

“And that's when he hit you,” Jake concluded and Trixie nodded to confirm.

“I made him do it,” she defended her father. “I didn't have to say that. He works mad hard for me and my moms.”

“Don't you dare make excuses for him,” Jake told her before Trixie covered her mouth and nose with both of her hands and sneezed.

“Bless you,” Jake heard Haley say, not even realizing she was still in the room until then.

Jake stood up taking Trixie with him. “We should get you out of these wet clothes before you catch something.” He turned to Haley. “You think you could find her something?” he asked of her.

“Yeah, I may have something that fits.” Haley was then followed by Trixie upstairs.

Jake shook in his anger at the situation, his fists clenching and unclenching at his sides. What kind of man would hit a pregnant woman? He wondered. What kind of man would hit a woman period? Jake tilted his head up as he let loose the fire that stirred in the depths of his diaphragm. The worst part about it though, was that he felt helpless. He was at a lost and he didn't know what to do.

Trixie's home life was stressful and with the way it effected her, he hated to imagine what that did to the baby. Jake sat back down just trying to calm himself. The best thing would be to get her out of that house. One logical thing to do would be moving her in with him and his family, but his father was against them being together too, so he didn't know if that would help. The next logical thing would be if they got a place of their own, but that just wasn't in their financial means, not unless he. . .

“No,” Jake said to himself, that route -though lucrative- was an uncertain path that his small family and his duties as the American Dragon would not allow him to take. Jake then stood up to head to his room, thinking that after a night's rest that things would look clearer in the morning.

He groaned as he heard the dryer which was, along with the washing machine, located next to his room. He was then taken by surprised as he found Trixie sitting on his bed as he entered. She was wearing one of Haley's long night shirts that had a big sleeping moon on it. “Hi,” was all she said.

“Hey,” he replied. “I was going to head in for the night,” he told her.

Trixie looked at the turned down sheets. “Oh.” She then stood. “It can wait, I guess,” she told as she went to walk pass him, but the comment made Jake reach out and stop her before she could.

“What can wait?” he wanted to know.

“Just a question I wanted to ask you, but I can see that you're tired. It can wait,” she repeated.

“Just go on and ask your question,” he told her, but she shook her head. “Please,” he said, hoping he could help her with something tonight.

Trixie sighed, but found she couldn't look at him as she asked sadly. “I know this is stupid, but I just wanted to know. . . how come you stop calling for fun?”

Jake looked at her curiously. “What do you mean?”

“Don't be coy, Mr. Long, I think you know actually what I mean,” she looked up as she spoke in a Southern accent and watched as an immediate blush came to Jake's cheeks.

Jake took a small step back as he cleared his throat. His hand then went to the back of his head, in a nervous like gesture. “It's just- It was always- And with Spud-” he struggled with what to say. “It felt wrong,” he admitted. “It was bad enough when he was here-”

“You said that's what made it exciting,” she pointed out.

“I know, but you guys weren't really together then, and now. . .” he tried to explain, “you're pregnant with his child. And I know it was just a stupid little game, but it would feel like betrayal and I don't think I can do that.”

Trixie gave him a small smile. “And here I thought it was because you didn't find me attractive anymore.”

Jake returned her smile. “That's not it at all.” He reached out and grazed her arm with his fingertips. “You know you're still the fly honey staring in all of these Mack Daddy's kinky dreams,” he told her playfully.

Trixie threw her head back and laughed. “Ow,” she said suddenly, lowering her head and bringing her hand to her bruised cheek. “You really have a way with words you know that?” She looked back up and tried to smile.

Jake lowered Trixie's hand from her cheek. “I should have been there,” he whispered as his own hand went up to her face. “I'm sorry.”

“It's not your fault,” she reassured him. “Really, Jakey.”

“Maybe, but knowing you're hurt when I could have done something.” He shook his head. “I'll never let it happen again,” he promised.

Trixie just smiled at him. She could never have asked for a better friend in her life. Then as his concern eyes went from her cheek to her eyes, something strange came over Trixie and before she realized it, she had leaned into him and placed a simple kiss upon his lips. Jake's eyes grew wide for a moment, but he didn't even have time to settle into the surprise of it before Trixie began to pull away.

His reaction was not one he had had planned as his body acted on its own accord and quickly leaned in to finish the kiss that she had started, but then it was as if Jake remembered where he was and who he was with and so pulled away. The distance between them was small as Jake shook his head. “I'm sorry. I shouldn't have-”

“What?” she asked as she held onto the fabric of his t-shirt. “This?” She placed another kiss upon his lips. “Or this?” she whispered as she placed one upon his chin and then another on his neck, careful of the scar he had across it.

Every fiber of Jake's mind told him, that he should stop her before things went too far. He knew she was upset about what had gone down with her father and how she didn't deal well when it came to him. His thoughts then led to Spud and how it wasn't fair to him. It wasn't his fault that he had to leave and Jake knew that he shouldn't take advantage of that absence.

He would be lying if he said he wasn't attached to Trixie, but he had put the idea of them away a long ago, once he saw with his own eyes Spud's feelings for her. Plus Spud had always been loyal to him, keeping his family secret, and so Jake knew he could not cross that line. “Trixie.” He took her by the arms and looked at her for a moment.

“Don't you want me, Jake?” she asked of him, all kidding aside.

Jake's mind told him to push her away, but his body would not have a part of it and instead pulled her close to him. “I do,” he said honestly before he claimed her lips with his own and kissed her with purpose. His tongue clashed against hers hungrily, wrapping his arms around her waist as she wrapped hers around his neck.

Before either knew it, they were headed towards the direction of the bed. They parted only long enough for Trixie to help Jake take off the shirt he had been wearing and throw it to the floor. Trixie slid onto the bed and watched as Jake crawled to her before he took a hold her and laid her onto the bed. Trixie moaned softly as Jake's hand explored the curves of her body as it worked its way down. He watched her face, delighted that he was the cause of her expression before burying his face in the nape of her neck as she took a hold of his shoulder and pulled him to her.

Jake's hand, as it explored down her body, had found the end of Trixie's night shirt. He hesitated for only a moment before his hand ducked under the shirt and his hand crept up her thigh. Jake's eyes then opened as he pulled away from Trixie's neck and gave her a strange look. Trixie smiled shyly as she realized Jake had just discovered that the night shirt was the only thing she was wearing.

Their eyes remained on each other as Jake's hand moved to the inside of her thigh and slightly pushed her legs apart. He then felt her whole body start to tremble and for a moment he looked concerned, but as Trixie took a hold of his face for another kiss, he knew there was no need to be. “Hey, Jake, I was wonder-” Jake snapped up along with Trixie as she quickly covered herself when they heard the bedroom door open and Haley stick her head in. Haley gasped loudly as she realized what she had just walked in on.

“Dammit, Haley, next time knock,” he told her a little frustrated.

Haley scoffed. “Well, maybe next time you should actually close the door,” she pointed out.

Jake sighed. “What do you want?” he asked her.

“Well, I was going ask if you wanted me to set up the shoe room, but it looks like you two were already discussing sleeping arrangements when I came it,” she said with a mocking smile. She then screamed, closing the door behind her as Jake threw a shoe at her.

Jake took a deep breath before he turned his attention back to Trixie, who wasn't looking in his direction. Jake licked his lips, the taste of her still there as they sat in an awkward silence until he finally found the nerve to speak. “It's late,” he began. “If you want, I can set up the guest room for you.”

Trixie's brow creased for a moment before she looked to Jake. “Alright,” was all she said as she made to get out of the bed.

Jake looked at her as if it wasn't the answer he wanted before his hand shot up and grabbed her arm. “But-” he paused, not really sure what he was doing. “If you want to stay.”

“Do you want me to?” she asked.

Jake released his hold on her as he nodded his head. Trixie smiled at him as she sat back down. She then began to lean into him, but Jake turned his head away, his expression reading of pain as he did so. “I'm sorry, Trix.” He then looked at her again and said, “But I can't. We can't.”

Trixie said nothing, her face looking as blank as it did when he saw her downstairs. She then climbed under the sheets and faced away from him. Jake cursed under his breath knowing his rejection had hurt her.

He wanted to make it up to her and in his mind there was only one way to do that. So he waited until he knew she had fallen asleep before getting out of bed and putting back on his shirt. He then made his way downstairs and grabbed the house phone. Jake leaned on the back of the couch as he dialed a number. He then tucked one hand under his arm as the phone rung before someone greeted him. “Hi, this is-” he was interrupted.

“Mr. Jacob Long,” a female voice said on the other end. “We've been expecting your call. Have you made your decision?” she asked.

Jake lowered his head and closed his eyes before raking his fingers through his hair. He sighed silently. “Yes, I have. . . Count me in.”

To Be Continued. . .

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment