Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 14 - Refusal

[WIP] They had what no force on Earth could divide. Be it up or down, right or wrong, they counted on a childhood vow to see them through. But now time has taken its toll and nothing can ever be the same. [Spud/Trixie – Jake/Trixie – Jake/Rose]

Chapter 14 - Refusal

Chapter 14 - Refusal
Chapter Fourteen: Refusal


Jake laid awake in his bed as he watched his wife sleep on the other side of it. It had been a few weeks since, what was now know as the incident occurred and things between the two had been dicey to say the least. Jake never knew it was possible to see someone everyday and miss them so much. She didn’t laugh anymore; he couldn’t even remember the last time she had even smiled at him. He missed the way she used to hold on to him when she was sleeping as if he was the only thing in her life that mattered.

He wish he could fix things, but he had no clue where to begin. He then got out of bed and was on his way to the bathroom when he heard Jerry. He entered the room and smiled down at the small boy who was smiling at him as he went to pick him up. “What are you doing?” Jake cringed as he heard the anxious sounding voice behind him. He didn’t get a lot of alone time with Jerry anymore as Trixie had picked up watching him like a hawk whenever he got too close to him.

Earlier on, all Jake wanted was for Trixie to help out more when it came to Jerry, but now she had taken everything upon herself. Jake had gotten his wish, but this wasn’t how he wanted it. “Nothing,” he answered. “I was just going to check his diaper and get him something to eat.”

Trixie walked up to him and held her arms out. “I can do that,” she told him. “Give him to me.”

He shook his head. “You’re going to have to eventually trust me again, Trix,” he said to her. “Can we please start with this?”

Trixie looked on the verge of saying no, but then to Jake's relief, she slowly let down her arms. “Okay,” she said softly. “Okay.” She then walked out the room leaving Jake alone with Jerry for the first time in almost a month.

That small gesture had eased some of the tension that had been between them and by mid-day, Jake was relieved to see Trixie smiling at him, even if it was only because Jerry had spit-up on him. “You know what?” Jake began as he handed him over to her before he walked to the kitchen to try to clean his spoiled shirt. “I think we need a night to ourselves. Maybe go to the movies or something before I leave next week,” he suggested feeling just a little silly at asking his wife out on a date, but he felt it was necessary; the two them desperately needed to reconnect. “I’m sure Haley would be glad to watch Jerry for us.”

He waited for her response, but before he could find out her answer, there came a knock at the door. “I got it,” she told him and went to see who their visitor could be. Jake couldn’t see who was at the door from his place in the kitchen, but complete and utter dread filled him as he heard Trixie say joyfully. “Gregory, my goodness, it’s been so long!”

“Trixie!” Jake heard his cousin greet his wife.

“Come in. Take a seat. What are you doing here?” she asked him.

“Believe it or not, I just heard from grandpa that you and Jake got married,” he informed her. “So are you going to introduce me?” he asked referring to the child in Trixie’s arms.

“Yes. Gregory, this is Jeremiah.”

“Well, he’s as cute as a button, just like his mom,” Gregory told her with a wink. “So where is that cousin of mine?”

“I’m here.” Jake stepped out of the kitchen. “Hey,” he said, his voice clear that he wasn’t happy to see him.

Suddenly, right before Trixie’s eyes, the atmosphere of the room changed. Gregory donned a very serious look as he regarded his cousin. “I’m guessing you know why I’m here.”

Jake dipped his head. “I can make a pretty good guess,” he replied. “Trix, could Greggy and I have a few minutes, please.”

“It's Gregory,” he pointed out, but went ignored by the other.

Trixie nodded, not knowing why as her husband’s eyes were still on his cousin. Trixie then took Jerry into his room and made it look as if she closed the door behind her. She listened carefully as the two spoke to each other.

“You have a beautiful home,” Gregory spoke.

“Stop bull shootting with me,” Jake demanded. "And tell me why you're here."

“Fine,” he agreed as Jake took a seat next to him on the sofa. “As you know a new Dragon Council has taken reign. They are strict and unrelenting and not fond of you, unlike the last Council.”

“Your point?” Jake asked.

“You haven't claimed Trixie or your child to them yet.” Jake went to speak, but Gregory cut him off before he could. “I know she's human, but as a Magical Protector, you have a high status, by our laws it's allowed.”

Jake stared at his cousin for a moment. “Wait. . . you don't disapprove?” he asked a little in disbelief.

“Of course not,” he told him honestly. “And even if I did, would you care? Beside, I know Trixie, and she's good for you.”

“Thank you. You're the first to say that to me.” Jake then watched as his cousin lowered his head. “What?”

“I didn't come by just to say hello,” Gregory informed him. “What do you know of DOS?” he asked.

“DOS? You mean the Dragon Council's lap dogs. The bastards, who actually get paid, to rat out their own kind? I think they are the scum of the magical world and should go back to whatever trashcan they crawled out of and rot. I still can't believe they're classed higher than I am,” he made his opinion known. “What of them?” he asked, noticing how Gregory had lowered his head during his little rant. Jake's shoulders fell. “You're DOS, aren't you?” The other nodded. Jake laughed a little nervously. “Sorry, I didn't mean any of that,” he offered.

Gregory looked at him skeptically. “Yes, you did.”

Jake smiled at him. “Yeah, you're right.” However, his smiled did not last long as it finally hit him that he had DOS in his home. He straightened up a bit, his brow furrowed. “So DOS Huang, what can I do for you?” Jake questioned.

“Don't start acting like that,” Gregory warned, seeing the serious look don his cousin's features. “I just wanted to let you know that your name has come up in DOS files. There may be an investigation planned around you. If what they suspect is true, Jake, you could lose your status as the American Dragon.”

“What do they suspect?”

Gregory looked conflicted, not sure how much he should say. He was risking his livelihood by informing a potential suspect, but this was his cousin and though the two didn't always get along, he knew, if their positions were reversed, Jake would have his back. “It’s a matter of your Dragon duties and if you have been abusing your ability and your status.”

“Greggy- Gregory,” Jake spoke softly. “Can you make those papers disappear?”

Gregory frowned not sure he had heard the other correctly. “Do you know what you are asking of me?”

“Unfortunately, yes.”

The younger dragon let out a big breath as he thought over the situation. “Jake, I can't do that.”

“You have to!” Jake demanded loudly. He then quickly covered his mouth with his hand and looked at the entrance to the hallway. Jake leaned in and began to whisper, “I may be allowed to marry a human, but I as sure as hell know that Trixie isn't suppose to know what I am and neither is my dad. If I am investigated and that is found out, I'm not going to get a slap on the wrist and be told to make a potion to alter their memory. They know too much.” Gregory saw genuine fear in his cousin's eyes. “And like you said before, the new Council reign is unrelenting, and you know the punishment for such a crime.”

“I do,” Gregory replied sadly.

“Then help me,” Jake begged.

“Alright, but you must tell me one thing?” he asked of him.

“What?”

“Are you guilty?” Gregory asked.

There was a short silence before Jake looked his cousin dead in his eyes and stated firmly, “No.”

“Then there's no reason for me to have to do anything, Jake. You can cover up the fact that they know. If you are investigated, I'll feed you information. Everything will be fine,” he assured him.

“Gregory, it won’t, trust me. I can not be investigated.”

Gregory shook his head. “Why? What are you hiding?” He listened intensely to Jake's next response, which was once again spoken in a whisper.

“I'm kind of investigating something on my own. A recon mission of sorts, which could look very incriminating from DOS's point of view,” he explained.

“What kind of recon mission?” he wanted to know.

“I can't get into it,” he told him.

Gregory looked at his cousin for a long time, despite their appearance, the two knew each other well. “This has something to do with the Huntsclan, doesn't it? This has to do about Rose.” He looked rather upset and disappointed in the older dragon. “Please, don't tell me you're still looking for her!”

“Shhh! Keep your voice down, I don't want Trixie to hear you,” he said. “And I had stop, I did,” he said truthfully. “But then someone made contact with me, who's looking for her too, we've been working together." Jake's eyes then looked off into nowhere. "She's very well off and very generous,” he explained as an echo of a smile traced across his lips, but he snapped out of it as he once again looked at Gregory. “I'm not doing anything wrong,” he couldn't help but say.

“Then why-” Gregory was about to ask something, when something else entirely donned on him as he considered the other's last statement. “Jesus, Jake," he began softly. "You're cheating on Trixie, aren't you?”

“What?” Jake's eyes widen at the unexpected question. “Hell, no. I would never do that to her.”

Gregory nodded and said slowly, “You're right, I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking.” He then looked at his watch before standing up. “Look, I have to go. I have to get back to work. I'll see what I can do about the investigation.”

Jake stood as well. “I appreciate it.” He then followed the other to the door.

“Oh, and just telling you again, claim your wife. If you don't, it will only look like you're ashamed of her.”

The eldest of the two nodded. “I know. I'll get on that.”

“Alright, I'll see you around.” And with that Gregory was out the door.

Inside of Jerry's room, Trixie finally closed the door as quietly as she could while Jake's back was turned. She walked over to the changing table to check Jerry's diaper. She then heard the door open behind her. “I know you were listening,” Jake told her. Trixie did not deny it. “How much did you hear?” he asked.

“Not a lot, your voices were too low,” she replied.

“Of what you heard, is there anything you're concerned about?” he asked.

Trixied looked confused. It wasn't often Jake invited her to ask questions. “No,” she replied, knowing this game very well. He wouldn't tell her anything.

“Trixie,” he urged, realizing this was how he was going to begin to fix things.

“What's DOS?” she asked figuring she would play along.

“It stands for Draco Operation Specialist. He's a cop,” he put it simply.

“He mentioned status.”

“Just like with any group of anything, there are different classes. The highest being a Council member. The lowest is being born to a dragon family, but having no powers at all. . . like my mother. With my gramps being a Dragon Master, he had to claim my dad for my mom. It's usually unheard of, but my gramps can be quite charming when he needs to be.”

“Where do you fall?” she asked picking Jerry back up and then going to rest in the rocking chair that was in the corner.

“Being half human, a class above my mother, but when I became the American Dragon I was boosted up to fourth from the top.” Jake sat down on the floor in front of her. “But even within that class, there are different ranks. I rank somewhere in the middle because I'm part human and having a mother with no powers. And the only reason I'm in the middle is because I have faced the Dark Dragon and lived.”

“What did Gregory mean by claiming me?” she asked, trying not to sound offended, she didn't like being referred to as property.

“Claim, may not be the right word,” he began. “But it's pretty much a marriage status, recognizing you as my wife.”

“And you haven't done it yet.” It wasn't a question.

“No,” he replied softly.

Trixie lowered her head and played with Jerry's hand. “So you are ashamed of me.”

“That's not it. There are certain rules and laws. I can only claim you after knowing my bloodline is secure. Then there is usually a small ceremony, but since you're human, and not even suppose to know I'm a dragon, it's very informal. I just go in front of the Council and for the record state: I, American Dragon Jacob Luke Long, of the Luong bloodline, claim Trishale Carter, of human descent, under my status and therefore protected,” Jake recited the vow a little sadly. Ever since he first learned her name, he had always imagined it would be Rose in Trixie's place. “You make a similar vow for your children, but since Jerry isn't mine, I would be making a false claim, and to do so is a very high crime. Lineage is very important.”

“I see,” Trixie stated, as she stood so that she could put Jerry down for his afternoon nap. She then sat on the floor beside her husband. “You know, I wouldn't object, Jakey,” she stated a little timidly.

“Wouldn't object to what?” he asked curiously.

Trixie's dark cheeks redden as she leaned in and brushed her lips against Jake's. She then whispered softly, “Making sure your claim isn't false.” As she continued to speak, Jake's eyes closed, feeling the warmth of her breath against his skin. “I still remember our first kiss. I can't get it out of my mind lately. Your lips were so soft and so commanding that I think I would have done anything they asked of me. And your hands.” She sighed contently. “They were so shy, yet so strong. My body craves to be touched by you.” She kissed the corner of his mouth. “Jerry's asleep and there's no little sister to interrupt us this time,” she pointed out. “So why don't we go to our room, and show our bed that it has other uses?”

At the end of her question, Jake suddenly pulled away, his eyes bore into her, almost angry. “What are you playing at?” She didn't answer, being a little thrown off by his tone. “For weeks you've treated me like the enemy, and unfortunately I gave you good reason,” he pointed out. “And I was glad that you were finally coming around, but this is too much for me.”

“What's too much? Me wanting to kiss the man I married?” she asked. “Wanting you to make love to me?”

“Yes!” he replied. “Trixie, this marriage. . .” he couldn't find the words to what they were doing. “I don't want to betray Spud,” he finally spoke. “I can’t forget that you are the mother of my best friend’s child. A man who loves you deeply, but when you say things like that. . .” he trailed off, his hand reaching out and taking a hold of her cheek. “I'm so tempted to just,” he bit his bottom lip for a moment before bring her face close to his own so that he could whisper, “to just lay you down right here and make you scream my name so loud that we would have the police knocking at our door again.”

Trixie took a hold of Jake's shirt, her eyes darting to it for a moment as she felt the Jewel of Eskaw underneath it. She then slid her hand down a little so not to disturb it. “Give in to temptation, Jake,” she asked of him, pulling away slightly so that she could look into his dark eyes. “Be my husband, not just in name.” As she waited for his response, Trixie could feel his heart race within his chest as he considered her words.

Jake then placed his larger hand on top of hers, stroking her skin in a loving gesture. It caused Trixie to smile softly at him, but it would not last as it was soon replaced by its opposite when he tighten his hold on her hand and removed it from his chest, giving Trixie a very clear answer.

“I'm going to call Haley and see if she's available Friday,” he spoke as if he hadn't admitted, mere seconds ago, that he wanted to make love to her. “We'll go and see a movie, okay?” He didn't wait for a reply before he stood up and stepped out of the room, leaving Trixie to settle on the floor as she recognized his action for what it was. . . a refusal.

To Be Continued. . .

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment