Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 21 - So Bright

[WIP] They had what no force on Earth could divide. Be it up or down, right or wrong, they counted on a childhood vow to see them through. But now time has taken its toll and nothing can ever be the same. [Spud/Trixie – Jake/Trixie – Jake/Rose]

Chapter 21 - So Bright

Chapter 21 - So Bright
Chapter Twenty-one: So Bright


Number Eighty-nine smiled as he heard the sound of children around the corner as he walked down the hall. They gasped and looked almost frighten as the three of them practically ran into him, but seeing his kind smile relaxed them. “Sorry, Huntsman,” said the eldest, who was about eleven years old.

“It's almost time for light's out,” the sixteen year old, Eighty-nine informed them. He watched as each nodded and made their way to their own respective quarters. Eighty-nine continued on his way down the hall. It had been almost five years since the Huntsclan that he knew had been wiped out by a single, blood red dragon. But what the dragon hadn't realized was that though he had basically wiped anyone who had been an official member of the Huntsclan then, it did not effect those who had quit and those who were not old enough to enter the academy at the time.

New Huntsclan members were being born everyday. In fact, those who had a member of their family born with the purple dragon birthmark, whom had disappeared, didn't find it hard at all to hand over their children born with the mark. One instance stood out clearly in Eight-nine's mind as he remembered one mother who kissed her five year old daughter on the forehead tenderly before whispering, “You were born, with the same mark as my brother, Lexus,” she informed her child as she touched the dragon on Lexus' neck. “He was taken away from us unjustly, and though I can do nothing, you can.” The young child seem to understand completely. “Learn fast and learn well. Avenge my brother, and do our clan proud.”

The little girl then stepped backwards until she gently ran into Eighty-nine who took both of her shoulders as she looked up at him. He gave her a reassuring smile before he then looked to her mother. “I knew your brother, he was my teacher,” he admitted. “I'll make sure Lexus learns everything he taught me.”

The mother rose back to her feet. She looked over Eighty-nine very carefully. “You're such a tiny thing.” He cocked an eyebrow at such a demeaning comment. “How did you survive such powerful magic when one as powerful and as knowledgeable as my brother did not?” she asked.

Eighty-nine's head jerked as he heard the question. He then lowered his gaze from her, unable to answer her question. “I hope you are through with your goodbyes, we leave for the Academy in five minutes,” was all he said before walking away, Lexus at his heels. Eighty-nine knew very well why he and Eighty-eight had survived. . . and they spent everyday trying to make it up to their fallen brothers and sisters.

He sighed as he finally came to his quarters, ready to finally hit the sack after a very long night. His room was dark as he entered and closed the door behind him. He heard a creek from the corner. “Who's there?” he demanded, immediately drawing his weapon.

“Who else would be waiting for you?” came the voice, slightly irritated.

Eighty-nine instantly relaxed as he slightly turned and reached for the light switch. “Dammit, Eric!” he scowled at Eighty-eight. “You know I hate it when you do that.”

Eric rose from the bed, he was dressed in his pajamas, as he made his way over to the other. “Come on, Kaden,” he whispered. “You know that's not true, you like it when I wait for you.” He stood close as he ran his fingers up Kaden's stomach and chest before reaching up and pulling off his mask. Kaden slightly shook his head as his brown curly hair came free.

Eric, being a few inches shorter, tilted his head up as he grabbed the back of Kaden's head and basically forced him into a kiss. Any other night, Kaden would had delighted in one of Eric's rare kisses, but tonight was a different story. “Stop!” Kaden pushed him away.

Eric looked at him curiously. “What?”

Kaden only shook his head as he sidestepped Eric and picked up his mask from the floor before walking over to his dresser. “I hate it when you get like this,” he told him softly, his back to him.

“Get like what?” Eric didn't understand.

Kaden turned around. “Like this!” he gestured wildly with his hands. He then only stared at the other for moment. “You- you kind of scare me a little,” he confessed, his neck turning a shade of red. “With your behavior,” he clarified.

“My behavior?” Eric looked offended. “You've been acting weird since we caught that filth earlier,” he pointed out. “All worried over someone who doesn't mean shoot.”

“That's not it!” Kaden defended himself. “We have to stick to the plan, if we don't-”

“What?” Eric interrupted him. “The world as we know it is going to end?” He stepped closer. “I don't know, if you've noticed, but that's already happened.”

“You're too obsessed with the past,” Kaden stated matter-of-factly. “You got to let it go. You're allowing it to eat at you and I don't like what it's leaving behind,” he told him. “You're angry all the time, Eric, and when you're not, it's kind of like you're not there at all.”

Eric didn't know what to say, but he knew one thing for sure, he was angry. “Don't you dare stand there and lecture me about the past!” he demanded of the other. “At least I have changed. You're still just a silly little boy, who doesn't realize what is expected of us!”

“Hey!” Kaden yelled back. “I know we're not children anymore, but that's no reason to start acting like an asshole!”

Eric looked hurt by the comment. “You think I'm a asshole?” His brow than furrowed. “I bet you think I'm a coward too, huh?”

“Eric. . .” Kaden said softly, but Eric only shook his head as he lifted his hand indicting he didn't want to hear anymore.

“I'm going to bed.” Eric turned around and headed towards the door and opened it.

“Wait!” Kaden rushed to him and grabbed his hand as he was halfway through the door. “Stay with me tonight,” he asked of him.

Eric turned his head and looked directly into Kaden's brown eyes. “What's the point?” was all he said before his hand slipped out of Kaden's and he disappeared down the hall.

OoOoO


Eric plopped down on his bed before turning his head and staring at the wall. “Have I really changed that much?” He couldn't help but to wonder out loud. But Kaden had been right, they weren't children anymore, after what happened with the Huntsclan several years ago, they were forced to grow up and grow up fast. They had to be each other's teacher as they learned of their history and why the Hunstclan had come to be. They had to teach each other to fight and to reply on each other. They had too, if they wanted a decent chance to rebuild what they once had. It had become very clear than that they didn't have time or the luxury for the childish things they used to do.

Then, when all seemed lost, she came waltzing back into her lives. She had not been pleased with their cowardice and she voiced it out loud. Kaden, who was always just a little outspoken, told her she was no better than they were. She who had fallen in love with the enemy. “Maybe,” she had began. “But when push came to shove, even after learning about my family, I stood by the Huntsclan. I didn't run off and quick like scared dog with my tail in between my legs.” The argument ended there.

But trust did not follow, Rose wanted them to demonstrate their loyalty and they wanted the same in return. Kaden, knowing he and Eric weren't full pledge members yet until they slayed a dragon, suggested that, not knowing that Rose, hadn't slain one either. Eric than suggested something he thought they could all agree on. He suggested the American Dragon, the one who had caused their downfall. He then turned to Rose waiting for her to object.

And object she did, saying that going after the American Dragon, would put an end to them before they began. He was a popular figure in the magical world, his death would not only cause unrest, but they would be seen as targets, and with their numbers so few, it just wasn't a bright idea. Eric and Rose glared at each other.

Kaden then suggested an alternative, that in turn would change the course of everyone's lives. “Then we target his family.” Neither Eric nor Rose objected, though Rose did look on the verge, she said nothing.

And so they kidnapped his mother, Susan Long, but Eric had been careless, he had lost his phone. Not realizing it until Susan had made a desperate call to her son. “They're going to kill me!” were the last words she said to him, before Eric was able to take back what was his.

In the end, Rose had been faced with holding off two dragons, the American Dragon and his Dragon Master, while Kaden had been faced with fighting the tiny purplish/pink dragon by the name of Haley as she had made her way to where the American Dragon's mother had been kept.

It was a skilled fighter, that Eric would give it, but it was weak and small compared to the American Dragon they had faced before, Kaden held her off well. She was so distracted with getting passed Kaden, that she never noticed Eric's pretense, that is not until, “Haley!” yelled Susan. “Watch out!” But it was too late, Eric had taken her by surprise from behind and she was out like a light as she hit the waters of the sewers below her. “Haley!” Susan cried again, but received no answer.

Moments later, both Eric and Kaden stood before Susan in her tight little cage, their spears in hand. Eric shallowed hard, his hands sweaty as what he was about to completely donned on him.

“Together, okay?” Kaden raised his spear and stuck it in between the bars of the cage and pointed it towards Susan's heart, who did not look at them as her eyes were still on the waters, waiting for Haley to resurface. Eric nodded at Kaden's words as he followed his lead. “Ready?” Kaden asked softly as he looked to his partner. Eric once again only nodded. “Now!” he shouted as the tip of his spear disappeared into the flesh of the woman before him.

“NOOOOOOO!” came the shriek of the tiny dragon.

“Haley,” were Susan's last words, a small, sad smile on her face at the relief that her daughter was still alive before she closed her eyes and lowered her head to never wake again. The small dragon charged at them, tears in her eyes as she fought once more with Kaden with everything she had. Eric could do nothing but stand there as he looked upon the dead woman in front of him, his spear was still pointed towards her, but it was still clean. At the last moment, he couldn't bring himself to do it.

“Retreat!” Eric's head whipped around as he heard the voice of Rose. The young boys did as they were told, knowing they would not be followed as they jumped on their Huntsclan motorcycles and sped off. . .

Eric groaned as he turned to his side and readjusted his pillow underneath his head. After that night, Kaden refused to look at him for a week. When Eric finally cornered him and made him speak to him, he had not been prepared for the other's words. “You made me do it alone!” he cried. “Do you know what it is like to watch someone's life slip away and know you're the cause of it?” He shook his head. “No, of course you don't. Her eyes don't haunt your dreams.”

“I'm sorry,” was all Eric could say, not really able to look upon Kaden's face.

“Yeah,” Kaden walked passed him, “you are.”

Eric immediately sat up when he heard a knock from the other side of his door. “Who is it?” he called out.

“It's me,” said none other than the formerly named Eighty-nine of the Huntsclan. “Are you going to open the door. Some of the cadets are still out and I don't want them to see me.” Kaden was very shy about the type of relationship he had with his partner.

Eric debated whether are not he wanted to let him him. He then hopped off his bed as went to unlock his door. He opened it slightly and peered out to see Kaden, with his mask back on, outside. “What do you want?” he asked.

“What I said before,” he began. “Maybe I overreacted,” he offered. “Just a little. I mean, you were only trying to. . .” he trailed off before he nervously looked around. “Just let me in.” Eric took pity on him as he finally stepped back and fully opened his door to the other. “You're not a coward,” Kaden made a point of saying. “And I would never call you one,” he assured him.

Eric walked back over to his bed and sat down, his shoulders were slumped over as he crossed his fingers and rested his arms on top of his legs. “I know,” he replied. He then sighed. “Kaden, I don't mean to blow up the way I do. It's just, that sometimes. . . I think you see me as weak.”

“What?” Kaden looked taken back as he rushed over to him. “No, that's not true.”

“But that first dragon, the one without the powers,” he reminded him.

“Please, don't live in the past, Eric,” Kaden urged him, sitting next to him and reaching out for his hand as the sound of young Huntsclan members could be heard out in the hall, “when our future. . . is so bright.”

To Be Continued. . .

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment