Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 23 - The Trusted

[WIP] They had what no force on Earth could divide. Be it up or down, right or wrong, they counted on a childhood vow to see them through. But now time has taken its toll and nothing can ever be the same. [Spud/Trixie – Jake/Trixie – Jake/Rose]

Chapter 23 - The Trusted

Chapter 23 - The Trusted
Chapter Twenty-three: The Trusted


Rose, better known as Huntsqueen, laid quietly in her bed within her quarters. Eric had not taken the news about Kaden very well, but it was better than expected. Betrayal of any kind in a relationship that was already fragile did a lot of damage, but one on the scale of Kaden's, well Rose was no stranger to it.

The Huntsqueen then rolled onto her side as she reached for the drawer handle of her night stand. Inside was a picture taken what seemed a lifetime ago. She smiled sadly as she looked upon the picture of her and Jake taken at their school dance back when they were in middle school. She knew she should have disposed of it long ago, but she just couldn't bring herself to do.

Her relationship with Jake had made her weak. Because of him she had questioned everything she had ever known and ever trusted. Sure, the Huntsmaster, who had raised her, had unwillingly taken her from her parents, but they were Huntsclan members as well, who had betrayed the clan. The Huntsmaster had taken her before her parents could taint her mind, but it was already too late, it was already in her blood.

When she had recovered all her memory, and everything hit her, it hit her hard. She would never see the Huntmaster again and that sadden her. Sure, he was a strict dictator, but there was a side to him many never saw. He was a father. He was the one who had tucked her in at night, and read her bedtime stories when she was child. He was the one who kissed her boo boos when she fell and scraped her knee. He was the one who taught her how to hold a spear and how to strike with precision. And though he may have never said it, he loved her just as much as any father could love their child. And though Rose realized he was only her uncle, in her heart, he was her father and Jake had taken that away from her.

She had had a family. It had always been there and though it was not ideal, it was hers. But Jake had made her confused. Made her question if she knew right from wrong and because of it, she lost everything. . . even her own identity. But she was making amends. The new Huntsclan, under her rule, would be the strongest in their history. She had to pull Kaden back in and make him see the errors of his way through the eyes of one who had walked the same path and had lost so much.

Rose sighed as she put the photo away. She still cared for him; he still made her weak, but she would not allow that weakness to get in the way of what was destine of her. She would destroy the magical world in the name of her uncle. . . even if that meant the demise of the one she once loved. But as always, that always seemed easier said than done.

There soon came a knock at her door and she told the person to enter. “You wanted to see me?” Eric didn't make eye contact as he closed the door behind him.

“Yes,” Rose nodded her head. “Please, sit.” She indicated a chair near the fireplace as she rose and took a seat across from where he eventually sat. “I know this is hard for you,” she began. “But I need you to be level headed on this, Eric. I know you and Kaden are partners in more than just one sense.” Eric looked at her a little wide eyes. Rose gently smiled at the expression. “It's the way you look at him. I know love when I see it.” It was the way Jake used to look at her.

Eric shoulders fell with her statement. “Then I guess you only ever saw it coming from me.” Rose said nothing, which proved Eric's statement true. “I just thought, if I just gave him time, he would eventually see me the way I saw him,” he sounded as if he had already been defeated. “But somehow I always knew that time was never the problem.”

Rose looked at the one she had named her Huntsman sympathetically. “Kaden, right now, is lost. The lore of a dragon is strong. Their words can be intoxicating. They have a way of getting into your head and taking a hold of your heart. He's being tricked. The Australian Dragon will use the hold he has on him to get him to do whatever he wants. So as long as Kaden in out there, our clan is in danger.” Eric looked as though he understood.

“I know,” he whispered, closing in his eyes. “So, what you're basically saying is, he's under some kind of spell. Can it be broken?” he asked, a light of hope burning within his rich brown eyes.

Rose thought of the photo in her drawer that she had tried to burn on several occasions, never once succeeding. “No,” she told him truthfully. “Even if he comes back to us, a part of him will always be connected to the dragon who marked him.” Eric opened his mouth to speak, but his words died in his throat. “I know what you want to say,” she began. “And there's only one answer. . . and it's you. Bring him home, Eric.”

Eric, finally understanding what was needed of him simply nodded before standing up slowly. Rose quietly followed him over to the door, where she couldn't help but notice the way the boy carried himself. In her eyes, Eric had always been the confident one, the outspoken one, and to see him in such a state pained her. “Eric?” she whispered as he had taken a hold of the door handle.

“Yes?” he responded before finding himself engulfed in his leader's arms as she hugged him tightly. Eric was surprised by the gesture. “It's going to be alright,” she assured him before his expression relaxed and he buried his face into her as he wrapped his arms around her and returned her hug. He exhale, comforted by her words, if only just a little.

OoOoO


Kaden stared out the window. He was far outside the limits of the city as Fred had taken him to a safe house deep in the middle of nowhere. Right now, Fred was where he had been for the last two days, in the other room peacefully sleeping as he recovered from the wound Eric had inflicted upon him. He was running a bit of a fever as being locked in a damp and darken dungeon hadn't helped. Kaden had draped a cool towel over his head and replaced it ever so often hoping it would help.

“What in the world am I doing?” Kaden asked himself as he leaned his head against the window. His stomach churned and twist as it hit him what he had done. He had left the Academy without informing anyone, but why would he, since he was helping the blonde in the next room to escape? That whole morning was now just a big blur, he wasn't quite sure how he had escaped the compound without being noticed.

But what he did know, was if they hadn't noticed his absence then, that they did now, especially sense they would have quickly noticed the absence of their prisoner and put two and two together. He knew officially that he was a fugitive in their eyes and that he would be hunted. It was only a matter a time before they found out where he was.

He and Fred had already been in one place for far too long. Kaden had taught his students when trying to escape from the enemy. . . enemy. Kaden's shoulders fell as the word echoed in his head as he realized that's what they were now. The enemy.

Kaden then closed the curtains of the window before heading towards the bedroom of the cabin. He walked quickly as he was anxious above anything. Every fiber of his being burned for him to do was was drilled into him.They couldn't stay. He had taught his students well, and though he had trust in his own ability, he no longer had Huntsclan resources. He was cut off and alone, but he had chosen that path.

He swung the bedroom door open and like a wave from the ocean he was calmed, and remembered why he had fought the feeling to flee for the last two days. Fred suddenly went into a coughing fit, Kaden rushed to his side handing him a glass of water from the nightstand. Fred breathed heavily once his coughing had stopped. His eyes were hooded as he smiled weakly at the brown haired boy by his side. He wasn't getting any better and both of them knew it. “I'm fine,” came the lie from Fred's pale lips.

Kaden picked up the wet towel that had slipped off Fred's forehead during his fit. He dipped the cloth into a bowl next to him before wringing it out and placing it back on Fred's forehead. “It's dangerous here,” Kaden let be known. “Staying in one place too long, as we've done, is bound to get us caught. The Huntsclan will hunt us down,” he explained.

“Even if they find us,” Fred spoke with his eyes closed, “they can't see us. I had my animal guardian put up barriers around this place years ago for emergencies.”

“Animal guardian?” Kaden was baffled by the term.

Fred nodded. “It's exactly what it sounds like. An animal companion who looks out for me.”

“How come you never mention it before? Where is it now?” Kaden wondered.

“Never had a reason to mention her before. She's an independent little thing; as stubborn as they come.” He smiled at the thought of her. “She mostly goes off and does her own thing. I never question her, I don't feel the need to, she always comes home. In fact, she'll be here soon,” He seemed assured of that fact and feeling the curious look on Kaden's face he answered the boy's question before he could ask it. “I check in with her every few days. I miss my last check in, so she'll come looking for me. This cabin is always the first place.”

“What's her name?”

“Yan Yan, but I call her Yani.” Fred then began to cough again, more violent than the last. “I'm so tired,” he admitted when he settled down.

“Than you should rest.” Fred nodded at Kaden's suggestion before turning over to go back to sleep, he cringed in pain for a moment before his features once again relaxed. Kaden sighed silently at the sight of it before getting up and softly closing the behind himself.

OoOoO


Kaden had fallen asleep on the couch when he felt a slight weight land on his chest. He opened his eyes and nearly jumped out of his skin when his vision cleared and he saw purple piercing eyes staring into his own. “Where is my boy?” demanded the female voice.

“Are you Yani?” Kaden asked the pink hairless cat.

“How dare you address me so familiarly?” she was outraged. “You will call me Ms. Yan Yan,” she made clear. “Now, do not make me repeat my first question.” Her claws seem to shimmer in the soft light.

“He's in the bedroom.” Yan Yan immediately jumped off his chest and made her way to the cabin bedroom. The cabin, knowing who she was, opened on its own accord as it sensed her approach.

Kaden followed her, her steps were quick and graceful. He stood in the doorway as he watched Yan Yan jumped onto the bed to take a closer look at her charge. “I should have come sooner.” Her paw gently touched his sleeping form. She then quickly whipped her head around. “Who are you?” she asked the former Huntsclan member.

“My name is Kaden,” he replied.

Yan Yan's expression towards him soften as she learned his name. “I know that name. My boy here is very fond you. You have made him very happy,” she confessed, causing a smile to appear on the younger boy's face.

“Know that it's not one sided.” Yan Yan nodded at his words.

“What happened to him?” she asked.

“He was captured by the Huntsclan and stabbed by one of the members. He was locked up for a while before we had a chance to escape. I think his wound is infected. He's sick and he needs help. I'm afraid to move him, but I'm also afraid that staying in one spot too long isn't smart.”

“This is the safest place for now.” Yan Yan looked upon the blonde's innocent looking face. “The barriers I put up are of old magic, no one but the trusted can see this cabin.” Yan Yan rubbed her face up against Fred sadly. “Be strong for me little one,” she murmured to him before straightening up.

“Only the trusted?” Kaden questioned.

“Like I said,” Yan Yan jumped off the bed and began to walk passed him, “he's very fond of you.” She than made her way down the hall, when she noticed she wasn't being followed she slightly turned her head. “Well, just don't stand there,” she barked. “If we want him to get better, there's a potion I must make, and unfortunately I need help.”

“You do?” Kaden asked in disbelief as he fell into step.

“Yes,” Yan Yan sighed. “If he had been some curse, I could do it myself, in my sleep,” she added. “But weapons made by man, are a little more than tricky.”

“Is- is he going to be alright?” Kaden voice shook as they arrived in the kitchen and the light automatically switched on. Yan Yan ignored him for a minute as she jumped from a stool onto the counter. She opened the cupboard and quickly went through the ingredients. “Those weren't there before,” Kaden pointed out.

“Fred may trust you,” she began as she put aside a small jar labeled, 'Eye of Newt' and another labeled, 'Howlet's Wing', “but the cabin does not.”

Silence fell over the pair as Yan Yan finished gathering the supplies she needed. As she brewed the potion that she hoped would spare Fred's life she gave short, exact instructions to Kaden, who followed her direction without question or hesitation.

“Finished,” Yan Yan announced happily after nearly five long hours of work. Kaden slumped tiredly into the nearest chair, wiping away the sweat that had gather on his forehead. “He's going to be alright,” Yan Yan finally answered the questioned Kaden had asked several hours before as she poured her concoction into the nearest container before capping a lid on it. “Here,” she tossed it over to Kaden who easily caught it. “I have to clean this up quickly, or it becomes poisonous,” she explained. “Pour a drop onto his wound and have him drink the rest.”

Kaden eyes widen at the thought of giving Fred poison. “But I though you just said-”

“Now!” Yan Yan yelled causing Kaden to drop his question and hurry about his task.

He made it as far as the living room, when he noticed something out of place. The front door had been left opened, which he thought was strange since he could have sworn it was closed when he and Yan Yan went into the kitchen.

Kaden narrowed his eyes as he slowly looked around the room. It was dark and the cabin was filled with many shadows. “Who's here?” His voice was deep and intimating. “Show yourself.” Instead of an answer Kaden was kicked in the back, the potion he held in his hands went flying into the air before it landed, hard, on the floor where it joined Kaden.

Kaden grunted as he was kicked in the side and forced onto his back. He then felt the point of a spear at his neck before his breath became stuck in his throat. The person over him still remain shrouded in the shadows. “Who-” his throat was nicked as he spoke, “who are you?” he asked.

“Who do you think I am?” came the voice, dark and fearless. Kaden's eyes widened as he recognized the voice.

“No, impossible!” Yan Yan voice was heard from the other side of the room.

“Eric,” Kaden whispered as Eric leaned forward revealing his eyes, which for the first time in Kaden's memory held no love for him. It was then that Kaden realized that though he knew he would be hunted, he never expected that Eric would be the one on his trail, because for Kaden, even after the incident with the American Dragon's mother, Eric had always been. . .the trusted.

To Be Continued. . .

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment