Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Gladstone, Poppy and Rosie

Memories of Sodor's trains

Chapter 4 - Gladstone, Poppy and Rosie

Chapter 4 - Gladstone, Poppy and Rosie
Gladstone, Poppy ad Rosie
The engines of Sodor were busy. It was summer. Gladstone, a 0-4-2 tender engine was taking coaches of tourist all around Sodor. Poppy was shunting trucks in the yard and Rosie was taking the express along with Gordon, Murdoch and Henry. Henry took visitors to the hills, Gordon took them to Croven’s Gate to transfer to the Skarloey Railway, Rosie took the visitors in her train to the suspension bridge and Murdoch took his visitors to the arched stone bridge and tunnel. Six tracks run up top and below. The trains had been running right on time. That night, Rosie was taking eight mail trucks around Sodor collecting and delivering mail. The train reached the arched stone bridge. A strong seaward bound wind hit the stones of the bridge and it collapsed. Rosie’s driver slammed on the brakes but it was too late. Her track broke and she fell onto the lines below. Four of the eight mail trucks stayed on the rails. Rosie’s driver & fireman jumped clear after they had tightly locked up the brakes. The brake van had a phone to keep in contact with either the yards or any station. The driver called the Fat Controller at his home during his dinner; a plate of kippers with a side of bangers and mash. “WHAT?!. I’ll send Gladstone and Poppy to help. The two engines soon arrived at the crash. Poppy brought Rocky the crane and the breakdown train. Gladstone pulled the unhurt trucks back to the station. Rocky set to work lifting the heavy mail trucks back onto the tracks and Gladstone pulled them away. A flatbed truck was behind Rocky t set Rosie on. Rosie’s crew jumped onto the hook and they helped attach the chains to some rails underneath Rosie and slowly she was hoisted onto the flat truck and the workmen and the cranes were left to fix the bridge. All the engines had to bring trucks of bricks even the big, blue, express engine, Gordon had to do it. Fergus and Travis, the two traction engines and Ernest the small well tank engine brought rails and ties. Poppy was taken Rosie to Crewe, in England. All the engines had to help do Rosie’s work until she returned from Crewe. She returned six days later and she was fitted with an “emergency” brake which helps to stop much more quickly and efficiently than ever before. Trucks dare not play tricks on her, because they know that she will have her driver stop suddenly and the trucks will derail.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment