Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Chapter 4: Painted Facades

Will and Elizabeth are finally married, but they find out that things don't always go the way they planned.

Chapter 4 - Chapter 4: Painted Facades

Chapter 4 - Chapter 4: Painted Facades
The stifling heat of the blacksmith's shop nearly gagged the Commodore, but he remained calm as he offered Will Turner his proposition

"Mr. Turner, you and I have never really aspired to know one another, but I do with to apologize for my previous hostilities toward your marriage to Miss. Swann."

"Mrs. Turner, if you please." Will growled, working through his conversation with the Commodore. The hammer in his hand raised high as he pounded the soft metal into place, placing it into the cool water at his feet before lifting another bent sword into his hands.

With a heated sigh, Norrington nodded his head to the blacksmith.

"Apologies; Mrs. Turner." He continued, despite the apparent nonchalant behavior of the working young man. "If I may continue..."

"You may." Will interrupted, holding back a well deserved grin as the soldier struggled to keep his voice calm.

"IF...I may continue uninterrupted. The Governor brought it to my attention that he wishes you to accompany my crew on the maiden voyage of the Lady Elizabeth. Since she was named after Miss. Swann, and as a birthday gift from Mr. Swann himself."

"Mrs. ...Turner." he stopped, looking into the man's eyes. "When will you come to the realization that she is MY wife?"

"When you come to the realization that the match never should have taken place." Norrington shouted, seeing the startled and outraged look on the blacksmith's face.

With an aggravated sigh, Will set his tools down.

"Do you think that's wise? Blatantly spitting upon our marriage? Face it commodore, more stood between you and Elizabeth than myself. But now, none of it matters." Lifting a sword into his palm, he leveled it under the Commodore's chin.

"Namely?" Norrington questioned as he looked from the pointed end into Turner's deep brown eyes.

"Namely, no other man has, or will ever touch her the way I have with these very hands." Will lifted the palm of his left hand to face the Commodore, seeing the envy and resentment in Norrington's eyes as he spoke candidly of the relationship he shared with his wife.

"If Governor Swann, my father in law, has asked that I be on this voyage then I shall. But I go of my own accord, and will not be put as a servant under your shoes."

"Seemingly fair enough. I would no further ask you to come if it wasn't for the Governor's request. Put the sword away, Turner." He growled as his turned his back on the blacksmith. "It isn't worth your life."

Placing it back onto the rack, Will once again raised his tools and turned to the soldier.

"I trust you know where the exit is?"

With no reply Norrington stormed out of the heated workshop into the comfortable Caribbean afternoon. The breeze off the harbor instantly cooled his flustered cheeks, and he set out a quick stride back to his office.

* * *

"You cannot be telling me the truth, William Turner."

"Indeed I am, love. Norrington himself came and informed me of your father's request. There was just...something in his manner that made it hard for me to trust."

Will sat on the edge of the bed as he watched his wife read the small book by candlelight.

"You're beautiful when you read."

"Don't change the subject. What was your reply?"

"Of course I will go, Elizabeth, your father asked it of me." He stood, undoing the buttons of his vest as he kicked his boots into the opposite corner.

"But we were to spend the day together." She muttered behind her book as she tried to train her eyes to stay on the pages than watch her husband dress and undress.

Tossing the vest to a nearby chair, he walked over to her and pushed the book down against her lap. Leaning in he kissed her lightly, standing back up as he pulled the white shirt from the top of his trousers.

"I've already reserved tomorrow evening for us, I wouldn't forgo our plans completely. Understand, love, that I want nothing more than to spend time with you on my birthday, but I believe that this will place me in the circle of respect you father wishes me to be in. I cannot let him down. I want him to think higher of our marriage; higher of me."

With a sigh and a nod she resumed her reading, not bothering to give him an answer as he lifted the shirt over his head. Changing quickly, he put on his usual baggy cotton trousers and climbed into the large bed. Laying atop the covers he looked up at the ceiling, his eyes knit together in a frown. Settling the book on her night stand, she rolled to face him, the contrast of her body under the blankets and he over them made it uncomfortable as she situated herself.

"Will, we haven't ever talked about children."

"Only because the conversation never has risen." He kept his eyes closed, reaching out his arm and laying his hand atop her hip.

"Do you want to have children?" She found herself afraid of the answer, hoping it to be yes, but unsure of what she would do if it were no.

"Of course, love. Though, I have had reservations about this subject before. You know how much I abhor seeing you in pain." he muttered, opening his eyes and turning to look at her.

"What more could I ask for?" She inquired as she placed her head on his strong shoulder, letting out a sigh of almost relief as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close.

Leaning down, he placed a kiss to her nose, then cheek. Pulling back the blankets he slid between them, holding her to him as he lay on his side to face her. Nibbling his way from her ear to her jaw, and finally to her neck, he rubbed his hands in lithe circles around the small of her back. Looking back up into her eyes, he saw the passion written in her features, and his own eyes darkened.

"Is it my birthday yet?"

"Close enough." She caved as she met his lips with her own.

* * *

Will woke before the sun and looked down at his sleeping wife. He lifted her up from his chest and placed her softly onto her own pillow, sitting up quietly. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes he rose and padded with silent feet into the bathroom, grabbing his clothes as he went. Changing quickly, he walked over to the bed and placed a kiss to Elizabeth's nose without waking her, running his hand through her soft tresses as he smiled. Lifting the covers up around her chin, he straightened up his side of the bed before he left the room, closing the door behind him.

"Good morning Sir. Would you like me to have the cook fix you a nice breakfast?"

"I would enjoy that, thank you, Godfried." He smiled pleasantly at the butler, making his way down to the dining hall as he walked into the kitchen.

"Off early this morning, eh Mr. Turner?" Cook questioned, always one to state the obvious.

"A bit." he smiled at her as he lifted a fresh piece of bacon into his agile fingers, only to have it slapped away by Cook.

"I don't care how famished ya are, lad, ya'll wait until it's served to ya." She growled, turning her back to him as she waddled over to the oven, pulling out a tray of fresh scones.

Popping the piece into his mouth quickly he smiled as his cheeks bulged when she turned to look at him.

"Here I was beginnin' to think that you were more civilized and you go actin' like a troublemaker. Out of me kitchen!" she shooed him away, as he chuckled, preparing to wait until he got his point across.

"You know I'm not one willing to be served, I can put my own food onto my own plate, Cook." He spoke as he was ushered from the kitchen and into a plush chair at the foot of a medium length oak table.

Breakfast was incredible, and he told her his thoughts as he picked up his over coat from the rack near the door, opening it quietly.

"Have a good day, Sir." Godfried replied as he watched Will walk down the front steps, the sun beginning to crest the horizon as the fog began to return to the sea.

* * *

The first thing Will noticed was the new members of Norrington's crew, but it was the season for recruits. Though in the years past it had been littered with those too young to know anything about firing a musket, these seemed to be well accustomed to living out at sea. Too well, for his liking. Keeping his distance, he stood at the bow of the ship as he surveyed the men from his vantage point. Only a handful he recognized. One seemed oddly familiar, but he kept the notion to himself and offered to help around the deck in terms of hoisting the masts and weighing the anchor.

Three hours into the voyage, the ship had proven to be indeed faster than the Interceptor, much to the surprise of Will Turner, but most of his uncertainties had come into play with the actions of the crew. They constantly avoided him, making him feel like an outcast as they sidled around the ship this way or that. Though a lot larger, much like the Dauntless, the Lady Elizabeth was making good time, in which Will was thankful for. Less time on the water meant more time with his wife.

"Land ahoy!" Looking up at the crow's nest he thought he recognized the voice, but without a good clear look at the man's face he put it off as he walked up to Norrington with a frown clouding his handsome features.

"When are we turning back, Commodore?"

"We'll be turning back soon enough, Mr. Turner. We need to make a stop before going back to Port Royal; drop some thing off."

"Cargo, as it were." The scarred man hinted as Will turned to see the others prepare to weigh anchor.

"What kind of cargo?"

"The pirate kind." Norrington spoke as the greasy old man lifted an ore, a sickening thud filling the air as it came into contact with the back of Will's skull.

Darkness claimed him as he fell to the deck, seeing Norrington's winning smirk before everything went black.

* * *

~Jean~

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment