Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Chapter 5: Left Behind

Will and Elizabeth are finally married, but they find out that things don't always go the way they planned.

Chapter 5 - Chapter 5: Left Behind

Chapter 5 - Chapter 5: Left Behind
Elizabeth sat drinking tea in her father's home, reminding herself of how many memories were locked away behind these walls. A majority of her childhood taking place under this roof, learning all she could about the pirates of the Caribbean and of course etiquette. When she thought of the many times she had climbed from her balcony to meet young Will Turner to play pirates she smiled, moving to the window.

"A letter arrived for you, Mrs. Turner." Her father's man servant announced as he handed her the white letter, the wax seal on back sporting the doctor's symbol.

"Odd, that I would be receiving a letter here and not at home."

Opening it slowly, she read its contents and smiled. Rushing from the room she made her way into her father's study, where the Governor was quietly revising papers and tying up odds and ends.

"Ah, Elizabeth. I was wondering when you would come up and see me." He rose from his chair, the white curls bouncing around his shoulders as he placed a feather light kiss to her cheek.

"I have excellent news. You are going to be a grandfather." Laughing with joy she hadn't seen in many months, he pulled her to him in a tight hug as he placed a large hand onto her still flat stomach.

"This is truly a time for celebration. When Mr. Turner returns we will announce the news and have a feast fit for a king."

"Well...I was hoping to tell him privately. We already have plans tonight for his birthday so this will just be an added surprise."

Seeing the frown on his face she smiled, laying a hand to his shoulder.

"How does breakfast sound?"

Nodding his head he agreed to breakfast with his daughter and son-in-law. Offering her a seat as they sat and talked quietly


* * *

Will awoke on land, surrounded by men as they sneered down at him. His hands were bound tight behind his back and his head throbbed. Sitting up, his hair fell into his face as it was set free from its confining tie.

He felt hands roughly yank him up from the ground as he twisted his head around to see Norrington standing with a pistol in his hand.

"You know Turner, ever since your escapade with the pirate Jack Sparrow, things sees to be going terribly well for you. Marriage to the beautiful Elizabeth Swann, for one. Clemency for committing acts as a pirate secondly, but all good things must one day come to an end. Regrettably so, I must now take control of what I believe should have been mine in the first place."

"You murderous snake." Will shouted, shouldering the man closest to him. Going down hard he lifted the sword free from the casing as he twisted it backward in his hands. Slicing the material that bound his wrists together he lifted the blade as he blocked the first strike.

Parrying and jumping forward, his sword struck down three men before a deafening blast filled the air. He felt his shoulder catch fire as white hot pain flashed through his mind. Falling to his knees he turned to Norrington, seeing the smoking pistol his palm.

Reaching a hand up to his right shoulder, underneath his collarbone, blood pulsed from the wound and onto his fingers, coating them with his own essence.

"Back to the ship, take those who are wounded with us. Leave the dead." The Commodore spat as he looked William Turner deep in the eyes.

"Just what a pirate such as you deserves." Norrington's icy blue eyes sparkled with hatred for the young, wounded, and soon to be stranded blacksmith.

"Not to worry, William Turner, I'll take good care of Miss. Swann for you." He shouted as he boarded the boats and headed back to the ship, the distant man in the crows nest visible as a tiny speck to Will's eye.

Tears leapt into his eyes, the thought of losing Elizabeth so soon in their marriage, but the contemplation of her in the arms of another man made his blood boil. Watching them load back onto the Lady Elizabeth, the sails were released as it began to disappear over the horizon.

Back on the ship, the men that Norrington had hired received the money owed them as they slunk below deck. Those that didn't hold to the Commodore's actions voiced their opinion. One man in particular.

"That's not right sir. I'm here to be tellin' ya." He complained as he held up his hands when the Commodore offered him the money.

"Listen. We agreed that this was the best plan of action. None will speak of it to anyone. What happened on this ship stays on this ship. You'll take your money and be content, Mr. Biggs."

"Aye, sir." He looked to his feet, his mind racing. "Will you be takin' us back to Tortuga now? I've got some dealin' to be gettin' along with." Turning back to Norrington, he saw the soldier shake his head.

"You can find your own way back from Port Royal. Back to port!" The commodore shouted; the wind set the sails in the direction of the city as she ship lurched forward.

* * *

Stumbling to the ground once more, Will found a wide stick. Placing it between his jaws he bit hard into the soft wood as he unbuttoned his brown vest, tossing it aside. Lifting his white, billowy shirt over his head he frowned as blood ran in a steady line down his smooth chest. Raising the light material into his fists, he tore at the seam; pulling it deftly apart the usage of the muscles that had been wounded by the shot screamed in protest as more blood flowed from the hole. Groaning in pain his eyes blurred for a moment, but he willed himself to stay awake.

Making a bandage he wrapped it below his left arm, up and over his shoulder. Before knotting it he took a small wadded up piece of cloth into his bloodied fingers. Taking a few deep breaths he looked down at the wound and bit hard into the stick. Using the balled fabric as a swab he prodded the wound with agile fingers, cleaning the surrounding flesh outside and finally inside before securing the bandage across his torso.

Flopping down into the soft, warm sand, he tossed the stick away from him as he wiped his lips, hopefully clearing the bark from his mouth. He watched as lazy clouds drifted over head as tears made tracks down the sides of his head and into his curled dark hair. Forcing himself to stand up, he moved to the edge of the palm forest, seeking shade from the rising sun as his head spun from the loss of blood. Finding a cool place to rest, he fell against a tree and into the sand once more, his mind spinning as his eyes rolled back, tossing him into oblivion.

* * *

Tortuga was teeming with ill bred folk, some pirates and some not. Mostly those who had no business to be in a regular society. The men from Norrington's ship had been left in Port Royal to find their own way back to Tortuga, but merchant ships were all to pleased to visit the town of ill repute, known for their trading hub.

Elizabeth had been waiting all afternoon for the Lady Elizabeth to pull into port. Hearing the news she sat on the porch as she watched the sun set, a frown clouding her features as an hour passed with no hint of the crews departure from on board the ship.

A figure ascended the steps in front of her, and she smiled gently as the shape turned to that of her father. Offering him a seat next to her, he reluctantly obeyed his daughter's suggestion.

"I heard that the Lady Elizabeth has returned to port, where is the crew? Are they still aboard?" She asked lightly, unable to quell her questions any longer.

"My daughter, we need to speak privately. Perhaps...in the study?" The tone of his voice and the way he held himself made Elizabeth suspicious but put aside her doubt as she led her father to the study. Will had loaded the room full of books that having to do with sailing, and the arts of blacksmithing. Elizabeth also lay claim to a few of the more feminine reading materials that littered the shelves in odd places here or there.

"What do you need to speak of privately, Father?" She seated herself next to him, placing a small hand on his big one.

She frowned as large tears began to fill his eyes; an unsettling fear beginning to grow in the pit of her stomach.

"Tell me."

"The Lady Elizabeth was attacked en route to a small cluster of islands. It seems that half of the crew was slaughtered. They say that a certain pirate ship had been using the island as a hoarding area, a cache if you will. When they spotted white sails and an English flag billowing on the horizon they laid in wait until the inhabitants of the ship came to land." Lifting his handkerchief to his eyes he continued, aware of the firm grip his daughter had of his other hand.

"An ambush had been placed, and almost sixty percent of the crew was lost...and..."

"Please tell me, what ever it is it reins turmoil over your heart. I..." stopping short, dread pricked her heart as her eyes widened in wonder.

"Where's my husband?" She placed a frightened hand to her flat stomach, something she found herself doing constantly. As if to remind herself that their child lay safe.

"I'm sorry, my darling, Will was lost..."

* * *

~Jean~

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment