Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Chapter 7: Lost and Found

Will and Elizabeth are finally married, but they find out that things don't always go the way they planned.

Chapter 7 - Chapter 7: Lost and Found

Chapter 7 - Chapter 7: Lost and Found
Commodore Norrington walked into the Turner household, surprised at how well kempt it was as he took a seat across from Governor Swann.

"We've looked sir, but no body was found. Even of the other men that were lost. They were washed away by the tide and the current; I'm sorry." His regal air was not lost on the governor as Mr. Swann slouched in the large padded chair.

"Thank you Commodore, it will mean so much to Elizabeth to know that you looked for him. These are trying times on my daughter, with the child and all."

"Child?" The soldier's attention peaked at the mention of a child.

"Well, this is highly improper of me to say, sir, but I am to be a grandfather; Elizabeth to be a mother. Without Will, I cannot say how hard society will come down on her, widow or not." His large fingers rubbed at his tired eyes, circles showing his lack of sleep as Norrington hid a small smile.

"If you are looking for help, Governor, I am all too willing to oblige. I would not have the good Swann name dragged through the mud any more than it already has."

"What are you saying Commodore?"

"You are correct in assuming that Elizabeth is in a very vulnerable stage, and propaganda would only backlash at the mention of her having a child whilst being unwed."

Pausing, he held back his elation as the governor seemed inclined to his change in the direction of the conversation.

"Are you saying that you would be willing to take Elizabeth as a wife?"

"To keep her name, and yours mind you, untarnished, I would indeed take Elizabeth as a wife. If not just to keep her safe, then to give her what she needs to care for the child." He almost spat at the word child. This wasn't exactly as planned, but all campaigns tend to miscarry in some form or another. If married soon enough, all of Port Royal would believe the child to be his, leaving no mention to the last name of Turner and changing it to Norrington.

"I do not know, Commodore, it will be incredibly difficult to get Elizabeth to agree to anything of the sort. It's too soon after Will's loss I'm afraid."

"Speak with her. See if she will agree to the marriage, if only to keep her name unsoiled. I will take the child under my name, and raise it as my own; give it a proper father."

"I will see what I can do, but I promise nothing."

* * *

The Black Pearl set sail on schedule, two days after the incident on the docks.

"Jack, when are you goin' to get a new compass?"

"When I need one, mate." He grinned as he turned the wheel to the left a foot or so, pocketing the "broken" compass as he picked up his spyglass. Seeing the small cluster of islands in the distance, he handed it to Mr. Gibbs.

"That one, on the far left I believe. Should be the one."

"How many times 'ave I told you to mark it down? You lead me to a nice vacationing island without Mr. Turner and it defeats the purpose for this little rendezvous, savvy?"

"Aye, sir." He grumbled, helping the Captain turn the ship in the direction of the small clump of land.

"Even my island was better than that one. Shows what a superior officer knows, eh?"

* * *

Will's stay on the island was becoming more difficult as it progressed day by day. The sun beat down on him as he attempted to clean out his injury once again. His fatigue and dehydration made his arms and body heavy and hard to move as he fell back against the sand, unable to properly dress the wound. It had begun to bleed again, keeping it somewhat clean, but the aggravated skin throbbed with a reminder that Will would just as soon forget.

His breathing had become shallower with the lack of water and food, and he could tell that he was losing weight fast. Without any energy he'd been unable to find more coconuts to maintain a steady supply of juice and fruit to keep him alive from longer than a week. Hardly able to lift a sword, he resigned himself to sleep, hoping to ward off the thought of death. Tossing away his bandage earlier that night, he'd left his wound open, hoping that the cool air would clean it out. Surprisingly, the infection was dwindling, leaving only a painful hole and an incessant amount of blood that he was constantly losing.

Turning, he looked out to sea. Catching a glimpse of large sails, he sighed as he turned his face away. Whipping his head back around quickly, he rubbed his eyes with the back of his left hand as he wearily trudged to his knees. Recognizing the ship from anywhere he smiled for the first time in days, his dried lips cracked and bled with the effort, but he didn't care.

"Jack." He whispered as he forced himself to stand, using the trunk of the tree as support. Walking a few steps and falling, he was determined to get to the beach. Keeping a close eye on the Pearl as she anchored; a dinghy carrying three or four people landed smoothly atop the water as they began to row toward the island.

Minutes turned into hours for Will as he watched them get closer and closer, Captain Jack Sparrow standing at the helm of the raft as it slid onto the sandy shoal.

"Heavens Will, you don't look at all like you're having a good day at all, mate." Jack commented as he moved to Will's side.

"I beat your record." Was all he said before his eyes rolled back and darkness claimed him.

* * *

"Elizabeth? May I come in?" Mr. Swann's gentle voice called as he knocked on her bedroom door later that night.

Hurried footsteps heralded her reaction as she tossed on her robe and threw open the door.

"Did they find him?"

The forlorn look on her father's face was her answer as she turned, slouching against the doorframe as she sunk to the floor.

"I'm sorry, love." He spoke as he sat next to her on the floor, seeing her bring her knees up to her chest, resting her chin on the soft fabric of her gown.

"But...there is something I'd like to talk to you about. The idea was Commodore Norrington's as a matter of fact..." He smiled, looking over at her, trying to formulate how he would ask her of the marriage so soon after Will Turner's death.

"He wishes for you to marry him."

Holding up his hands before she could rebuke him and say no as an answer, he continued.

"It's not that he desires to take Will's place, he knows of your situation. He's willing to marry you to keep you, and the child, safe from anything that could harm you. It's not proper for a young woman to have a child out of wedlock; you know the lashing that you will receive from society in having an illegitimate child, Elizabeth. They're unforgiving. But Commodore Norrington is willing to save you from all that."

"It's only been almost a week, not even that. Five days. How can you ask me to take another as my husband when I've just lost the man I love?" She asked, hoping to end the conversation quickly, thinking only of the effort it would take to marry another.

"You can only be strong for so long. You're going to need something to fall back on. The Commodore wants nothing in return but for you to remain a respectable woman."

"And be his wife; under his name."

"That, my dear, is a small price to pay for you to maintain your reputation, and the reputation of the Swann family name. I'd give it some thought."

* * *

~Jean~

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment