Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Chapter 8: Decisions

Will and Elizabeth are finally married, but they find out that things don't always go the way they planned.

Chapter 8 - Chapter 8: Decisions

Chapter 8 - Chapter 8: Decisions
Will awoke to a throbbing head and a growling stomach as he sat up carefully. At once he realized that he wasn't lying in sand on a hot beach, but on a comfy bed in a stay room. Looking down he noticed that his shoulder had been stitched up and cleaned, and no longer ached under the bandage. Spotting a dark figure sitting in a chair, his pointed and tattered hat lowered over his eyes as he snored loudly and with a grin Will pulled the blankets down and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Jack." He called, not seeing the pirate move as he spoke his name again. After a few moments he lifted his pillow up and chucked it at the Captain.

Giving a surprised yelp, Jack tumbled backwards with his chair as he landed on the floor with a thud.

"Seems to me that if you're plannin' on thankin' me in this way, mate, I should have just left you on that spit of land." His hat was crooked on his head as he stood up and brushed himself off, the many adornments he had jingled with the motions of his arms and head.

"How long have I been asleep?"

"Four days."

"Four days?!" He cried, looking up at the pirate with soulful dark eyes. "I need to get back to Port Royal."

"Just hold a moment, mate, remember? We wait for the opportune moment. Now from what I hear, there's to be a fancy high to do at the Fort in three days. Seems to me that Norrington had this well planned out, and being such with you out of the way, he's all set to marry the widow Turner." Jack explained, seeing the rage explode in Will's features as he handed him a somewhat clean white shirt.

"And when would the opportune moment be?" Will asked, standing as he accepted the top and put it on slowly, his shoulder still stiff and sore.

"They don't call me Captain Jack Sparrow for nothin', lad." He grinned, and led Will out onto the balcony. Squinting into the sunlight, he recognized buildings as his eyes focused. The bustling streets of Port Royal lay before him, in the distance the Fort stood gloomy and terrifying as guards maintained their watch at the top lookouts. Looking closer, he could see Governor Swann's house, and turning his head, three blocks down the road was his own home. Spotting a carriage outside the door he scowled as Commodore Norrington stepped from the box and walked lithely up the stairs and into the front door.

"I want to kill him, Jack." He snarled as his voice held a low and quiet but ominous tone.

"Don't worry, I've got it all planned out. Trust me; you'll get your chance. But it requires some piracy, and from what I understand, you say you're just a blacksmith."

With a smirk, he turned to the Captain and placed his hands akimbo.

"Only as a secondhand trade."

* * *

"How does it fit, milady?" The same old tailor's tired voice echoed throughout the large room as he turned Elizabeth around in a circle. Commodore Norrington and her father were both present and she silently nodded in compliance with the tailor's questions.

"You look beautiful." Norrington commented as he gazed hungrily at his soon to be wife.

Giving a weak smile she dismissed herself to her room to change and rest before tea time as the Commodore and her father talked quietly.

"It doesn't seem like she is all too interested in getting married."

"Relax, Commodore. All things will fit together in time. She's more thankful than anything. I know it's dreadfully hard on her to marry this soon after Will's death, but she knows as well as I the notions of our world. She agreed to this marriage only out of my begging and her child's future."

Sighing, he knew that with the loss of Turner, Elizabeth wouldn't truly be his, but he was willing to sacrifice a little here and there for the rights of labeling her his wife.

His own fitting was next as he placed his arms into the long, well cut coat, thinking nothing of the blacksmith or his demise, putting it behind him as he smiled at the thought of winning her hand.

* * *

"Do you understand, Will?"

"How will this work Jack?" He asked, looking at the large robe that the pirate held in his hands.

"'Ow will this work? Boy trust me! I'm Captain...."

"Captain Jack Sparrow, I know." Will interrupted as he placed the robe over his arm and snuck back out of the priest's office, Jack hot on his heels.

"We'll be lucky if we don't get arrested for this, it's madness."

"No, no lad, it's brains."

"Well, as I recall, it's amazing how much those two threaten to coincide." He commented as they walked back to the pub, meeting Mr. Gibbs out front.

The saloon was filled with people Will remembered, hoping that none would recognize him he kept his hat low as it cast a dark shadow over his features. Sitting at a far table, the three conversed.

"You know its frightful bad luck to be stealin' the Word of God." Gibbs stated as he lifted the priests Bible into his hands, setting it out onto the table with the robe.

"All I have to do is talk in a lower voice, Elizabeth and I went to church every week so I should be able to pull it off. It shouldn't be too hard to sound like a monotone holy man."

"Ah, that's what you say now. But Will, when you get up there in front of Elizabeth, your wife I would remind, and Norrington, your killer; so called; will you be able to hide your animosity?"

"I'll hide it well enough. Personal feelings will not interfere in this situation. I plan on killing him tomorrow." Will's eyes smoldered, reflecting the candlelight as he lifted the glass to his lips, taking a long drink of the ale.

"You may win Miss. Elizabeth back, but if you kill Norrington then you'll go to the gallows." Gibbs reminded as Will smiled.

"No, it may seem that way. But if they consider the fact of murder and larceny then it will be my God-given right to take back what is mine."

"He certainly thinks like a pirate, don't he?" Jack questioned, raising his glass in the air.

"To Norrington; without his actions against Mr. Turner here, we wouldn't be able to plot his demise."

"Aye." Gibbs added his glass to the air as they turned to look at Will.

With a grin, he nodded as he lifted his own glass, joining in the toast as the three men talked about their plan of action.

* * *

The morning of the wedding arrived, and Elizabeth sat quietly in her room. Her hair was done up beautifully, the dress she was staring at was elegant, more so than the dress she married Will in. The thought of Will brought her sadness back, knowing she'd have no life with Norrington as her husband. She'd given in, obliged to the fact that Will was indeed gone and nothing would quench her longing for him. It took her father two days, only two, to convince her to marry Commodore Norrington.

"Miss. Elizabeth?" Her chambermaid's voice called out as she entered the room.

"Time to get ready Miss."

Elizabeth nodded and stepped into the gown as she dressed slowly.

"You know Miss, for this being your wedding day you seem a mite gloomy."

"I have no reason to be excited, Trudy. I've already had my wedding day."

With a quiet nod she laced up the back of the refined dress as she placed a gentle hand on her shoulders.

"Don't worry, Miss. Elizabeth. The Commodore will make you happy."

Leaving the room as quick as she had come, she allowed the bride to have some time to herself. Sitting at her dresser, she glanced down at her hand. Closing her eyes, she silently slid the wedding ring off her finger and set it down on top of her jewelry box.

"Good-bye, Will." Rising to her feet, she made her way down the steps to meet her father at the carriage.

* * *

"Hurry; before he wakes up." Gibbs growled, taking the unconscious priest under the arms and placing him into the closet. Closing and locking the door, they placed Will in the priests robe as they made sure the hood covered his face well enough that his identity was a mystery.

"Just make sure to ask if..." Jack started, but was again cut off by Will.

"I know." He snapped, walking from the room and into the large crowd of people, the Bible held firmly in his hands.

"Father, may I ask why you are dressed as such for my daughters wedding?" Governor Swann asked as he pulled the priest aside.

"I have a dreadful ailment and would hate for Miss. Elizabeth or Commodore Norrington to catch what cold I have for their wedding night." His voice unnaturally low and monotone, he saw the Governor nod as he walked the rest of the way up to the small stage that had been built. Seeing both Norrington and his wife standing together, Will felt his heart ache at the sight of Elizabeth's almost gray eyes and the pain that was written in her features. He could tell that she had given up on almost everything, and the thought made him even more furious that Norrington could indeed place this much hurt on her heart.

"Ladies and gentlemen of Port Royal, we are gathered here today to join Mrs. Elizabeth Turner and Captain Norrington of his majesties Navy in holy matrimony."

"Commodore, Father. Commodore, Norrington." The soldier corrected as he frowned at the cleric.

With a smile that was hidden, he apologized.

The wedding continued under the hot sun as Will attempted to keep his voice in the same style of the Father's. The robe he wore smothered the young man as he attempted to rush the ceremony.

"Do you, Mrs. Elizabeth Turner, abandon the name from your former marriage to take Commodore Norrington as your husband?" It almost pained him to ask the question, stealing a glance at her hurt face.

Without saying a word, she nodded quietly, looking at the ground as tears filled her eyes.

"Do you, Commodore Norrington take Mrs. Elizabeth Turner to be your wife willingly with no conscience thought to her former marriage?"

"Yes, I do."

"Is there a soul here who does not look upon this union in a holy eye?" He asked, searching the back of the room.

"I've got somethin' to say."

All eyes turned to the back of the congregation as Captain Jack Sparrow sauntered down the aisle, stopping midway to cast a small wave to the Commodore.

"Seeing as how we all highly, respect, and admire Commodore Norrington, I've a few mentionable things I want to share about him."

"Arrest that man." The Commodore ordered as guards rushed forward.

"Hear me out, mate! I've got a bit of news that even you're gonna enjoy. Commodore Norrington, of his Majesties, Royal Navy, accompanied Mr. William Turner on the maiden voyage of the Lady Elizabeth. No doubt named for you, Mrs. Turner. Seeing the opportunity to impress the Governor, here, "Jack stopped to point over at Governor Swann, looking back up at the couple as Norrington fumed. ", Old Mr. Turner couldn't find the way to say no." Elizabeth's attention was peaked, and she looked at Captain Sparrow with interest.

"Silence! I said, arrest this man!"

"Of the two of us, Commodore, I'm the only one here who hasn't committed murder, so I believe we'll be takin' my order right now. So they sail, to this beautiful little cluster of islands. But there was an ambush laid out wasn't there, Commodore? And I'll bet it's not the kind you're thinkin' of, eh. I suppose you can never really tell when you shoot a man and leave him behind if he's really dead, and bein' the fact that you didn't double check to make sure, you've no clue as to the whereabouts of one William Turner." Jack smiled, seeing the questioning look that Elizabeth sent to the Commodore, and the puzzled expression Norrington himself wore.

"William Turner was killed by pirates. They were using the small cluster of islands as a cache for treasure. I saw him fall." Norrington declared, glaring down at the pirate.

"Clap him in irons, he hangs tomorrow." Turning back to the priest, Norrington signaled for the ceremony to continue.

"And..." The cleric's voice changed, going back to that of Will Turner. Casting a glance to Elizabeth, she frowned as a hint of recognition played across her features.

"This interruption non-pending, by the powers vested in me I proclaim you, Commodore Norrington, a murderer." Tossing the robe to the ground, Commodore Norrington's unbelieving eyes met those of William Turner.

* * *

~Jean~

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment