Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Of realizations and regrets - Part 2

About the rather ordinary working days of Section 9. Chapter one: If anyone ever found out about this, Batou wouldn’t live to see the end of it.

Chapter 7 - Of realizations and regrets - Part 2

Chapter 7 - Of realizations and regrets - Part 2
Okay, and here comes the second part…as promised. And if you didn’t get the last this won’t be any different.
Hope some of you will like it anyway. Batou’s POV.

And thanks to all of you, who were kind enough to leave me some feedback. Epecially to Kyer. Thanks!

_________




Chapter seven

Of realizations and regrets; Part 2


...


When Batou realized that the Major – that Motoko – was gone for good, it was like falling into an endless, dark hole. And there was no way to get out. So he stayed there, floating in some dreamlike state of complete misery. A nightmare with no way to wake up.

He knew that she wasn’t dead or anything, but she wasn’t here – where he was able to see and touch her - either. And he couldn’t think of anything crueler.

So when he eventually got over it, he had to realize that he was truly and utterly alone, because given time – coupled with his temper – not even Togusa had had the strength to put up with him.
And Batou guessed that two years are an awfully long time.

And only now did he realize that he had been so caught up in his own heartache that he had missed all the signs.
Well sure, he had seen them alright and even saved them, filed somewhere in the back of his cyber-brain. He just hadn’t taken the next step, looking closer and analysing them for what they truly meant.

But Batou had to admit that one didn’t really need to look that closely. For his partner…former partner, as he had to remind himself of the human’s new position as leading field agent - wore his feelings on his sleeve.
An open book for anyone who cared to look, expressive eyes and a face that lit up every time he laughed.

Coming to terms with the fact that Batou himself had been the one who had caused the cold and distant look on the younger man’s face, gave him a feeling that oddly reminded him of regret.

Only that cyborgs don’t really have feelings anymore. They don’t regret, do they?
And the anger he felt at himself, for not noticing, for not acting, didn’t count…because in the end it didn’t matter, not really anyway.
He just wasn’t the type to contemplate things he can’t change anymore – unlike humans, unlike him. They had simply drifted apart and Batou had let it happen.

And maybe that is the one thing he does regret.

Because this makes the stupid saying about ‘not knowing what you got ‘til it’s gone’ right after all.

And like Togusa keeps watching, Batou keeps walking. Down a path he knows nothing about but that it is lonely.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment