Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Untitled

My story about Warriors! It's about 15 years since Firestar died, and now, kittypets are planning on taking over the forest! What is a sweet, quiet, gentle shecat that is destined to save the forest to do? No, I haven't read the New Prophecy yet, so

Chapter 3 - Untitled

Chapter 3 - Untitled




Slowly, the sun rose. Treewhisper gave her friend an excited glance, thinking inwardly, I'm so happy! This day couldn't get any better. Unknowingly, Nightfur echoed the thought, adding on a silent prayer to StarClan asking for luck with Snowcloud.

Puddlefur relieved them of their duties, mewing, “The vigil's over now. You can relax.” But the friends were too excited to even think of sleep.

Nightfur asked Treewhisper, “What do you think, shall we go gather some moss for our new nests in the warrior's den?” Treewhisper gave an excited squeak, answering yes. Nightfur's eyes shimmered as Snowcloud brushed by her.

“So, how was the vigil?” he asked lightly, giving his fur a little lick. “Oh, and before I forget; I moved your nests to the warrior's den. You don't have to get new moss; your nests look good and comfy to me.”

Nightfur's face seemed to shine at the warrior. “It wasn't bad. Boring, maybe, but exciting too.” She licked her paw and brought it to her head.

Treewhisper copied the action without thought, but when she caught Sootfur's glance, she immediately came to her sister's side.

“Sootfur, is something the matter?” she questioned. Her eyes were filled with worry. Sootfur, however, simply seemed to brush away a flea. “Nothing,” she mewed. “Just this annoying little bug.”

Sootfur was a skilled liar, and gave nothing away. But Treewhisper replied softly, “I can tell when you're not being truthful. We're sisters, for StarClan's sake. I'd have to be half a mousebrain to not tell when you're lying. I want an answer later, but for now, I should go ask Puddlefur whether I should to on patrol later or not.”

Treewhisper walked off to greet the blue-gray deputy. “Good morning,” she mewed, dipping her head in respect.

Puddlefur briskly whisked her tail in acknowledgement. “To you too. I put you and Nightfur on sunhigh patrol. Take Moonpaw, Honeypaw, or Grasspaw with you. Whichever one you pick, ask their mentors to go with you too.” She then walked away to talk to more cats.

Nightfur had padded up to Treewhisper. “Friendly, isn't she?” she muttered.

Treewhisper shook her head slightly. “Oh, Nightfur. Puddlefur is so busy, organizing patrols and StarClan knows. Give her some slack! She doesn't have the time to socialize with young warriors.”

Nightfur looked at her friend. “StarClan gave you an elder's head and put it on a warrior's body,” she commented. “I always liked Honeypaw, she was so nice.”

Treewhisper batted Nightfur's back playfully. “No, Grasspaw. Honeypaw'll be jealous for awhile, she's the same age as us. She'll wonder why she's not a warrior yet. Another moon, I expect. But Grasspaw is a newer apprentice. And Bloodpelt is almost a senior warrior; he'll have stuff to share with even us.”

Nightfur padded away silently, stalking towards the apprentices' den. Treewhisper almost purred, but she had to talk to Bloodpelt. “Bloodpelt!” she called after seeing his vibrant red and orange fur.

The older warrior approached her. “Congratulations,” he purred. “What is it?”

Treewhisper bowed slightly to indicate her respect. “Puddlefur said we could take Grasspaw and you on sunhigh patrol. Is that okay?”

Bloodpelt looked at the sky for a moment. He paused, but then mewed, “I'm sorry, Treewhisper, my memory was failing me for a moment. Puddlefur wants me to go on a hunting patrol after sunhigh patrol leaves, so I can't.” He stared quizzically at his paws. “No wait, that's Rabbitwind. I'm sorry, I can go.”

Just then, Whitestar called, “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather below the Highrock for a Clan meeting!”

The cats slowly assembled, not unlike the night before. As the murmuring died down, the white and brown tom began. “Cats of ThunderClan! It has been brought to me by our queen, Mapletail, that her kits are ready for their apprenticing ceremonies. Also, Moonpaw, Dirtpaw, and Honeypaw were left out last night for their warrior ceremonies.” He paused.

“The vigil is to be taken tonight, but I must leave you today to journey to Mothermouth. StarClan has offered me some wisdom which I cannot refuse. So I choose to do the ceremonies now, and leave the vigils for tonight.

“Moonpaw. Do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your life?”

A trembling answer came from the yellow-brown tom. “Y-yes.”

“Honeypaw. Do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your life?”

“Yes,” came the confident mew.

“And Dirtpaw. Do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your life?”

“Yes.”

“Then by the powers granted to me by StarClan, I give you your warrior names. Moonpaw, you will be known as Moonstorm. StarClan honors your bravery and honesty, and we welcome you as a warrior of ThunderClan. Honeypaw, you will be known as Honeystripe. StarClan honors your skill as a hunter. And Dirtpaw, you will be known as Dirtclaw. StarClan honors your stealth and tracking skills.”

He held his tail for silence. “Before you begin to show your respect for our new warriors, I have another ceremony to complete.”

“Gentlekit, Larkkit, Whisperingkit, Fadekit, and Acornkit. Your mother, Mapletail, was blessed with such a large litter. It is a miracle you all lived through leafbare. We must thank StarClan.

“You are all six months old, and ready to become apprentices. So, by the powers granted to me by StarClan, you will be known as Gentlepaw, Larkpaw, Whisperingpaw, Fadepaw, and Acornpaw. You will be known by these names until you receive your warrior names.

“Treewhisper is one of our new warriors, but I trust her. Pass your skills on to Gentlepaw well,” he mewed. Treewhisper was surprised, but she leapt onto the rock, next to the silver apprentice.

“Snowcloud, you are known as the best tracker in ThunderClan. Pass that on to Fadepaw, and all your other skills.”

The white warrior jumped up, landing by the blue-silver tom. Whitestar continued. “Larkpaw, as you may know, is identical to Gentlepaw, except she has amber eyes, and Gentlepaw has blue eyes. So it is only fitting to give Larkpaw a mentor which is as close to Treewhisper as Gentlepaw is to Larkpaw. So Nightfur, you will be Larkpaw's mentor. Pass on your knowledge well.” Nightfur's yellow eyes widened as she nearly fell on top of the smaller shecat.

“These three have never had an apprentice, so I must have two experience warriors as well. Crookedfoot and Puddlefur, you have both had apprentice before. Teach these two patience and logic.”

As the ceremony ended, the mentors and apprentices touched noses. A lengthy but eager chant began. “Moonstorm, Honeystripe, Dirtclaw! Gentlepaw, Larkpaw, Whisperingpaw! Fadepaw! Acornpaw!”

Before Whitestar disappeared into his den, Bloodpelt stalked up to him and asked him something. Whitestar nodded slightly, and replied. He took his place on Highrock again.

“Cats of ThunderClan, it is truly a busy day today. Bloodpelt has told me his memory is failing him. Sootfur has confirmed that he is old, too old to be fighting and training. He will join the elders after Grasspaw completes his training, which in turn will be sped up and done with an assortment of warriors.”

He was not seen the rest of the day. Nor was Orangeeyes.



*~*



“Whitestar is dead!” came an unearthly howl. “Killed, killed by dogs!”

Orangeeyes stumbled into camp, still shrieking. “Filthy Twolegs letting those beasts loose!”

The camp slowly came to life in the dark sundown.

Puddlefur pressed against the tortoiseshell's flank. “What happened?”

“We were going to Mothermouth. He came out, looking worried. I think he knew…Anyway, later we came across a ditch. We slept there, but we were awakened by dogs. Vicious snarling dogs! They attacked us. Whitestar told me to go; he said he was destined to be with StarClan tonight. And—and I saw him, still fighting, until those dogs were half-dead, and those cowards fled. But Whitestar kept chasing, until I saw him…saw him collapse,” she choked, hardly able to get the words out.

Sootfur put something in her mouth, gently murmuring something. A few moments later, the shecat had drifted to sleep. The gray medicine cat got up, straight as she could. “Puddlefur—Puddlefur is to be the next leader of ThunderClan. Unless.” The medicine cat paused. “You wish to forfeit the position to some other cat?”

Puddlefur shivered. “I feel my seasons are getting shorter. I should join Bloodpelt with the elders soon. I couldn't serve more than another season as deputy. I can't serve as leader.”

Sootfur nodded. “I thought you'd say that, Puddlefur. StarClan tells me we will find a small Clan of traveling cats which we must welcome to ThunderClan at once. They also tell me we will be stronger soon. We must pick a temporary leader until these cats come, for they will tell use who the leader is to be. And they will come, come soon.”

The deputy raised her paw, and mewed, “I vote Crookedfoot be our leader until then! He is younger than I, but almost as experienced! He would make a good leader.”

Agreement with the shecat went across the Clan.

Sootfur dipped her head. “Very well. Crookedfoot will serve as leader until then. Puddlefur, I trust you will still provide ThunderClan with a deputy?”

The gray-blue shecat trembled. “I will. But only till the leader is revealed.”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment