Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - World at War; World War II meets Zombies.

Unreal Tournament. A great game, but does anyone really know the characters and the story plots to it all. I don''''t think I know anyone who does. But those are the things I like to take interest in and review.

Chapter 1 - World at War; World War II meets Zombies.

Chapter 1 - World at War; World War II meets Zombies.
Call of Duty; World at War is a 1st-person shooter taking place in 1942, the time after the great depression, the time of World War II where over 60 million people died fighting for their countries. Though the story is not based on true events; it is entirely fictional, though it wasn't made by Tom Clancy shockingly. Though it does referance many events from World War II, such as in the final mission wounded you slowly make your way to plant the USSR flag due to Resnov's hand being damaged still and claim victory in Berlin.

Though I don't want to confuse you, this does take place during World War II although the storyline doesn't follow anything you'll learn in a history book. (i.e; fictional)

You play your way as an American soldier(C. Miller) who was captured by Japanese soldiers and a survivor(Dimitri Petranko) of an attack from Germany in Stalingrad. Throughout the game the storyline structure between the two of them stays quite nice unlike the storyline in Modern Warfare two, whereas you play as multiple characters and during the missions you change characters but the only thing that seems to change is the names. Although sadly, as interesting as I would have found it; you do not meet him anywhere in the game, nor at they connected at all.

Its been commonly discussed on who should have really published the game; Infinity Ward(Creators of Modern Warefare 2) or Activision(Creators of World at War). My thoughts on this are that Infinity Ward's graphics are much better, although its physics and gameplay is unbearably unrealistic. Which is why in this case I'm glad Activision produced it and made minor flaws, but still made it more realistic.

Overall the game as good for its time, and personally started my competative nature with FPS's on consils. Looking back on it now, the gameplay is really glitchy and from the jump to Black Ops they've made countless improvements on the game's engine. Much more to say the least than from MW2 to MW3. The controls are really simple, and what I don't like about it now is that its just really frustraiting to play at times when the only diversion you have is to crouch or lie on the floor. The multiplayer though I enjoyed it a lot, isn't really the highlight of the game.

Nazi Zombies is what made this game bigger than most, and what has made Black Ops such a success. Left 4 Dead and many other zombie games were already made in the past that were fantastic, but mixing a First-Person Shooter combined with World Ward II Activision took on a completely new theme and perspective to the idea of zombies. Playing as 4 of the most devious characters to represent the different area's involved in World War II. It was nothing close to a cliche, as everyone fell in love with the simple but advanced 1940s technology that we apparently don't have hold of today.

Using a large collection of older weapons that legitimately existed in that time, and being able to upgrade them, use them yourself, and do it all with one primary goal: Kill Zombies. It stood out so much in games coming out at the time, there was no reason for it not be a success. Finally something original, and actually fun to play? O LAWDY, I MUST HAVE IT. Modern Warfare 2 shortly came out after World at War and the game quality is clear engine wise that MW2 was better, but even then I still prefered World at War for realistic reasons. I never liked how MW2 was always fast-paced, and that was literally the game's theme. It was never about being realistic, but causing adrenaline and giving a rush to the players. Raising sense. Which isn't bad, but as a concept for an entire game I felt WaW was always better.

The factor I always feel people ignored was who made the original call of duties before Modern Warfare. People always think that its the original work of their's, and that without Modern Warfare, there would be nothing. No, there were infact 4 other Call of Duties that were mainsteam sellers beside Medal of Honor that I know of even before Modern Warfare was ever in the works. But not for Consil, rather, PC.

There's a lot of contreversial subjects to the game, but overall what I have to say is that World at War was a step in a new direction. Most people aren't aware of this fact, but Infinity Ward is owned infact by Activision Blizzard. Infinity Ward even before "Activision-Blizzard" was formed was still a holding company to Activision when they were solo. So to anyone who says "INFINITY WARD KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING, ACTIVISION IS shoot", you have no idea what you're talking about and need to get your facts straight.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment